Metagame Gen VI NU New/Creative/Underrated Movesets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the input. My moveset definitely was confused, hence me asking for help with it :). Roar over wild charge seems like a great idea, so thats what i'm gonna try, since i don't have a phazer anyway and wild charge was mainy for swanna/pelliper/mantine (lol). I was running no utility or support moves cause i started off with AV when i was creating it, but as i thought, it might not be the best idea to slap AV on something so heavily invested in Def.

TL DR - Roar > Wild Charge, Lefties > AV. Thanks :)

EDIT: What are the 52 Spe EV's aiming to outspeed btw?
Outspeed base 50 and I guess pokes that try to speed creep bast 50's, namely dragalge, audino, hariyama, and vileplume

So yesterday i decided to play around with Head Smash Archeops. It looks dumb to use a recoil move because of Defeatist, but i have this heavy physical team that really likes to have physical walls worn down, as well as Healing Wish on Mesprit for a second round of Head Smash. It's kinda of an anti-lead, glass-cannon Archeops that's really good at baiting weezing (for some reason, i ran into like 10 weezings out of 15 matches wth). I haven't run roost over EQ yet, cause without investing into HP/defences, it doesnt look that good and you lose on a lot of coverage without EQ.

@ No Item
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252Att/4Def/252Spe
Jolly Nature
-Taunt
-Acrobatics
-Head Smash
-Earthquake/Roost

252 Atk Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 165-195 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 66.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Audino: 292-345 (71.2 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garbodor: 304-358 (83.5 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (I'm not sure about Garbodor's spread?)
-1 252 Atk Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Granbull: 153-180 (39.8 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom: 220-259 (72.3 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack / Roost
- Psyshock / Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower

So a lot of people see togetic and immediately assume it fills a support role on a given team, whether it be nasty plot baton pass or a defensive cleric / defogger. This togetic aims to take advantage of that. Togetic already boasts an incredible typing for this metagame and insane bulk with eviolite even without any investment. Togetic has a respectable 80 base special attack and finds like a million different set up opportunities in this metagame so getting up to plus 2 is rarely a problem. The 3 moves given have damn near unresisted coverage in the tier (solrock and lunatone are only resists iirc) and can take advantage of serene grace for a little added luck even when you don't need it. I typically forgo dazzling gleam since the main things it hits I can still hit super effectively with psyshock or neutrally with tri attack (plus psyshock rapes dragalge and yama). the given evs are to outspeed shit like weezing and tangela in that garb speed tier, which also helps because you outspeed the whole yama and plume tier as well and wreck them. You can run roost on this thing if you want, but typically the coverage comes in way more handy and I've rarely found a time when i preferred having roost. Some spin or defog support is helpful if you want to set up on more things too i suppose.

Give the set a try before you knock it, Togetic is a really potent attacker and shouldn't be brushed off easily.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack / Roost
- Psyshock / Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower

So a lot of people see togetic and immediately assume it fills a support role on a given team, whether it be nasty plot baton pass or a defensive cleric / defogger. This togetic aims to take advantage of that. Togetic already boasts an incredible typing for this metagame and insane bulk with eviolite even without any investment. Togetic has a respectable 80 base special attack and finds like a million different set up opportunities in this metagame so getting up to plus 2 is rarely a problem. The 3 moves given have damn near unresisted coverage in the tier (solrock and lunatone are only resists iirc) and can take advantage of serene grace for a little added luck even when you don't need it. I typically forgo dazzling gleam since the main things it hits I can still hit super effectively with psyshock or neutrally with tri attack (plus psyshock rapes dragalge and yama). the given evs are to outspeed shit like weezing and tangela in that garb speed tier, which also helps because you outspeed the whole yama and plume tier as well and wreck them. You can run roost on this thing if you want, but typically the coverage comes in way more handy and I've rarely found a time when i preferred having roost. Some spin or defog support is helpful if you want to set up on more things too i suppose.

Give the set a try before you knock it, Togetic is a really potent attacker and shouldn't be brushed off easily.
Togetic needs roost, no matter what set it runs. Also psyshock is meh on togetic, if you want to run nasty plot, your best bet is:

248 hp / 160 def / 100 spdef
Ability: Super Luck
-Nasty Plot
-Roost
-Dazzling Gleam
-Baton Pass/Flamethrower

Tri Attack shouldnt even be mentioned because lack of stab or coverage.

Hariyama cannot touch togetic outside of heavy slam and psyshock wont hurt the garbage can since its usually phy defensive.

Most importantly, togetic should focus on bulk and not offensive pressure, because its too slow to sweep teams with only base 40 speed.

If you want to run enough speed to creep the 50's fine, run around 48 speed, but dont completely compromise togetic's bulk.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Togetic needs roost, no matter what set it runs. Also psyshock is meh on togetic, if you want to run nasty plot, your best bet is:

248 hp / 160 def / 100 spdef
Ability: Super Luck
-Nasty Plot
-Roost
-Dazzling Gleam
-Baton Pass/Flamethrower

Tri Attack shouldnt even be mentioned because lack of stab or coverage.

Hariyama cannot touch togetic outside of heavy slam and psyshock wont hurt the garbage can since its usually phy defensive.

Most importantly, togetic should focus on bulk and not offensive pressure, because its too slow to sweep teams with only base 40 speed.

If you want to run enough speed to creep the 50's fine, run around 48 speed, but dont completely compromise togetic's bulk.
nigga did you even read what i wrote... you either didnt or chose to ignore the fact that the set i was running was meant to be an offensive presence and suggested one of the on site support sets anyways. I would venture to say that most hariyama are running heavy slam these days just due to slurpuffs rise in usage and granbulls on stall. no hariyama is ever physically defensive u twat, are you thick? these are 1760 spreads for yama: http://puu.sh/bWAuX/d795fea441.png I mentioned roost as an option and explained why i feel its not neccesary. Tri attack is actually a decent coverage move and synergizes well with serene grace, and the set you suggested is hard countered by shit like ninetales or any other fire type so i don't see why you made a point of telling me it doesnt bring neutral coverage. With togetics natural bulk and little speed investment I would argue that it sweeps a good chunk of teams in this meta despite the fact it only has base 40 speed (nu is basically uninvested base 60s and below and then base 90+ which offers a good tier for a fast 40 to be in..

tl;dr next time can you at least read the post so you understand why this togetic is supposed to be different, instead of spewing off random garbage (especially when its not correct).
Give the set a try before you knock it,

Magmortar@Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Vital Spirit
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Spa or Def
Adamant/Naive Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch/Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop/HP Grass

Believe it or not, but physical or physically based mixed Mortar isn't bad at all, Magmortar gets a nice BS in Attack, 95.
This acts like a great lure, while Magmortar in itself kinda punishes some switches to 2HKO things like Dragalge or Lanturn, this set will allow you to just kill them directly, and this works for many other threats, sadly, the hard checks are the same, AV Thick Fat Hariyama and Grumpig still walls you pretty hard.
Flare Blitz is your main STAB, boasting a very good power of 120 and IT CAN'T MISS LIKE FIRE BLAST ( Lol ), it will 2HKO a high amount of pokemons, also, the reason why Expert Belt is suggested is mainly because Magmortar has enough coverage to make Expert Belt reliable, and you don't want to get too much recoil damage.
Thunder Punch can be used in order to beat Water Types, but Thunderbolt is also usable due to Higher Base Power.
Earthquake is needed, it's great with all of your other coverage moves and STAB, it hits pretty hard, and allows you to KO Dragalge and Lanturn, as well as other Fire Types.
Cross Chop can be used for its good power and coverage, but overall, HP Grass is better, otherwise, you would be walled by Seismitoad and Rhydon.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
He said Psyshock isn't going to hurt Garbodor. Which is true. Yes, it's kind of hard to follow his logic at times. What he pointed out is true, though. You quote the usage stats for spreads, but didn't quote the usage stats for heavy slam. It's because quite a lot of Hariyamas don't even run Heavy Slam. If you are going nearly fully offensive with your Togetic, a non-STAB never super effective move is not good. Yes, the 40% chance to inflict random status is good, and lucky freezes will win you the game sometimes, sure. But it's not that good as a NP sweeper which should be able to cripple things through raw damage, not lucky dice rolls.

No need to be so rude to others. Argue your case? Sure. Calling others a twat isn't needed to prove your point.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...

Dustox @ Kee Berry
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Quiver Dance

Back with this wonderful gen6 feature that is the kee berry. I'm very serious when I say dustox is no joke. This guy is not that easy to kill before it sets up, it's typing makes it a perfect switch in on many fighting types and dustox can start setting up on them while activating his kee berry. Now this guy has 4 main assets that make it very different from other stuff like musharna and actually make it worth using. First off, quiver dance is better than calm mind cuz speed (duh). Second, as long as you predict phazing, you will be the one phazing because at +1 you're faster than any common phazer in the tier and can phaze them before they do. Whirlwind can also be used as a way to simply phaze shit that sets up faster since after a couple QD dustox is VERY hard to kill. Finally, dustox is also immune to toxic and nothing is immune to bug buzz which makes him extremly hard to stop once he's started. Shield dust is also a cool ability since shit like golurk (which you won't be ohko'ing even at +6) or random water types can't rely on dynamic punch or scald burns to ruin your sweep the cheap way, not flinching to fake out is cool too.

This thing can probably single handedly defeat practicaly any stall team. It's sort of deadweight against many more offensive teams, but can still be used as win condition once certan phyiscal hard hitters are down (mainly cb stuff that resist bug buzz). Dustox also strongly apprediactes screen support because he can handle phazers and toxic users on his own.

EDIT: ok soundproof shit then, use signal beam if you really are worried

Last edited:
Ever since it was first mentioned by horyzhnz , I've been interested Choice Scarf Malamar.

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Destiny Bond / Topsy-Turvy
-Switcheroo

With the standard lefties set or even with ChestoRest, Malamar is pretty mediocre at best in the metagame right now. I've always thought there was some unused potential in Malamar, and after a quite a bit of using this set, I've come to conclude this is an amazing set for Malamar. Previously, I started using this with Topsy-Turvy as a an experiment to stop Calm Mind and Double Power Sigilyph, but as I continued using it, I've found it to be extremely useful, doubling as a sweeper and a revenge-killer at the same time.

The main problem with Malamar right now is its disappointing speed. It must almost always take a hit before dealing damage in return, and in conjunction with its mediocre bulk, takes a lot of built up damage; this often causes it to not do much during battles. Furthermore, with its poor typing that gives it no resistances, it finds a hard time forcing things out and setting up. However, most, albeit not all, of its problems are alleviated with a Choice Scarf.

This Malamar finds plenty of opportunities to get the ball rolling, unlike before. With its newfound speed, it KOs and boosts on weakened pokemon, thinking they outspeed it and are safe. With more defensively orientated teams where its speed is not as needed, it can cripple walls with Switcheroo and give itself free turns to set up. Then, it is much easier to keep the ball rolling because it now almost always attacks first before taking damage. In addition, with Malamar's typing giving it two uncommon weaknesses and the defense boosts from Superpower, it is almost never OHKO'ed by revenge killers. Destiny Bond can be used as a clutch stop to otherwise rampant threats, while Topsy-Turvy can stop setup sweepers like SD Feraligatr and Shiftry, NP Mismagius, or CM Spritomb without sacrificing itself. Night Slash is for coverage, hitting almost everything except for Granbull and Togetic.

While still a bit shaky as a sweeper due to the large amount of resists to Fighting, it does perform very well as a revenge killer. Unlike competitors, almost nobody excepts a scarfed Malamar which makes it do its job with a very high success rate. Also, it isn't complete setup bait after being locked into Superpower simply due to the fact that Superpower boosts Malamar's stats as well, pressuring pokemon trying to take advantage of it. Malamar also has the bonus of having Switcheroo, meaning it is not a completely liability against stall.

Still, Malamar has a whole slew of problems. The main downside is its inability to switch moves to hit Ghost- and Poison-types. Things like Ghost-types (especially Spritomb), bulky psychics like Musharna, Poison-types like Weezing, Vileplume and Draglage, Granbull, and Vivillon are common things that wall it. Physically bulky pokemon like Rhydon can also take a boosted Superpower or two and phaze with Dragon Tail. Poison-types and Ghost-types will still be detered due to the commonly run Psycho Cut and Night Slash (at least until they figure out its item). However, Malamar can at least permanently cripple these with Switcheroo or take them down with Destiny Bond, things that other sets fail to do. Malamar still needs a lot of team support to function, but I've found that Scarf Malamar will consistently return its share of the bargain, and is something I hope to see more insight on.

I'll try to post some replays, though I'll be quite busy over the weekend.
I wouldn't run scarf only because if they switch in a ghost after two superpowers you loose that boost you might not be able to get again. would give it lum berry to stop statuses and beable to switch into slow status users and maybe take them out or force them to use another turn to status, also if you didn't know what status he was going to use, lum malamar would be a good switch and them you could switch out into a pokemon that would be immune. switch out destiny bond for psycho cut for stab and to hit the poison types.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't run scarf only because if they switch in a ghost after two superpowers you loose that boost you might not be able to get again. would give it lum berry to stop statuses and beable to switch into slow status users and maybe take them out or force them to use another turn to status, also if you didn't know what status he was going to use, lum malamar would be a good switch and them you could switch out into a pokemon that would be immune. switch out destiny bond for psycho cut for stab and to hit the poison types.
Scarf Malamar serves a different role than regular Malamar. While regular Malamar would certainly benefit from Lum Berry, the purpose of the Scarf set is more for fast cleaning late game or even mid-game, added utility with the combination of Switcheroo + Destiny Bond. Two entirely different sets that serve different purposes for what your team needs.

Scarf Malamar serves a different role than regular Malamar. While regular Malamar would certainly benefit from Lum Berry, the purpose of the Scarf set is more for fast cleaning late game or even mid-game, added utility with the combination of Switcheroo + Destiny Bond. Two entirely different sets that serve different purposes for what your team needs.
i guess but again if a ghost type switch in would ruin that sweep if you're using the superpower to sweep and get your boosts. there are only 6 (9 if you count all the different forms of gourgiest) in nu but it could happen

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
i guess but again if a ghost type switch in would ruin that sweep if you're using the superpower to sweep and get your boosts. there are only 6 (9 if you count all the different forms of gourgiest) in nu but it could happen
Scarf is still viable for cleaning fast teams, and most offensive teams would hesitate bringing their Ghost (usually Mismagius and Rotom) initially since Malamar can easily Night Slash them on the switch so that it can Superpower unhindered, which is likely. I get that you're concerned with Superpower PP, but it's not a set that should be discouraged. P.S. Kevun also has some descriptions regarding Psycho Cut, in case you were wondering why that isn't on the set.

Poliwrath @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

People must think I'm joking but I'm honestly not. Special Poliwrath is not only legitimate, but is actually both viable and effective. It is a powerful wallbreaker that is capable of baiting in and killing tons of standard Poliwrath checks, and has a surprising amount of strength despite its use of its non-dominant attacking stat due to its high base power STAB attacks such as Hydro Pump and Focus Blast. Furthermore, it boasts the strongest Special Priority attack in the metagame [not an impressive title] although it does help to revenge kill frailer sweepers at lowish health, and despite its overlooked special attacking stat as well as offensive sets in general, the below calcs show that it is very legit, 2HKOing at worst some of NUs toughest walls due to the nature of its attacks. Specs Poliwrath takes a lot of prediction to use well, but is surprisingly effective and punches big holes due to its effective baiting, and I encourage everybody to try it out!

252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 236-278 (66.6 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 338-402 (82.4 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 252-297 (67.3 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragalge: 136-160 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Regice: 186-222 (51 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 228-270 (78 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock

While nothing creative, this set is designed to act as an anti-lead, anti-spin and anti-defog while hitting like a truck at the same time. Its given a life orb with a modest nature to hit hard as possible and deter spin or defog. Psyshock is your main cookie cutter stab move and is chosen over Psychic to eliminate Cryogonal and hit things like AV hariyama who are cocky enough to stay on Mesprit. Energy ball hits the common stealth rockers like Seismitoad, Rhydon and deters spin from Sandslash who is 2HKOed even if its Assault vest. Thunderbolt destroys common defoggers like Mantine, Swanna,and Pelipper. Xatu also gets popped by Thunderbolt which I've been seeing a lot these days.
This set works best on offensive teams who want to their Stealth rocks up to secure some KO's.

That Mesprit is actually surprisingly good! Mesprit is so versatile man...it can serve as a lead/anti-lead Specs/hipster Future Sight user. But one thing that always scares me is the arrival of Pawniard or Liepard on a baited Psychic/Psyshock...so maybe HP:Fighting or U-Turn somewhere on that set? Just saying

Accelgor @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4Spdef
Timid/Hasty Nature
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball
-Focus Blast
-U-Turn / Sludge Bomb (I prefer U-Turn)

It's a very powerful version of an accelgor, by having this surprise momentum (Because it can OHKO some Pokemon you won't expect it to). I think this one is very powerful and also fast overall.
Not much else to say about this because I think everyone knows Accelgor already and most of it should explain itself lol.

Damage Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Accelgor Energy Ball vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 286-338 (88 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Accelgor Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 201-237 (56.7 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Accelgor Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 260-306 (63.4 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Accelgor Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 192-226 (65.7 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rawwwwrrr!! <3 (Pyroar) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Flame Charge
- Return
- Wild Charge

This set is making use of the Moxie ability of Pyroar. Since Pyroar's speed and atk stat are both very good, it can sweep after 1 (or 2) Moxie boosts. With Flame Charge it boosts it's already high speed stat and the other Moves are for coverage. No one (and I say no one) EVER expects a physical Pyroar. That's why people try to switch into a special wall for nothing but to die and Pyroar most likely gets away with a free Moxie boost. I really love using this set because it's different and I'd never use special Pyroar again :D

Damage Calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pyroar Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 239-283 (82.1 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pyroar Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dragalge: 231-273 (69.1 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pyroar Return vs. 248 HP / 168 Def Cryogonal: 242-286 (70.5 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pyroar Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 216-255 (43.9 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage

I had to leave Mold Breaker as it's ability because Moxie doesn't exist for some reason...but the Pyroar still has Moxie as it's ability xD

Punchshroom

Pyroar's speed and atk stat are both very good, it can sweep after 1 (or 2) Moxie boosts. With Flame Charge it boosts it's already high speed stat and the other Moves are for coverage. No one (and I say no one) EVER expects a physical Pyroar. That's why people try to switch into a special wall for nothing but to die and Pyroar most likely gets away with a free Moxie boost. I really love using this set because it's different and I'd never use special Pyroar again :D
Lol Pyroar has 68 Base Attack, which is complete shit and kills nothing. No good Fire STAB, extremely poor KOing power, and most Pyroar responses do not fear physical Pyroar in the slightest. Also, how did Dragalge let Pyroar KO something, why doesn't Dragalge have more defensive investment, and who uses Guts Flame Orb Hariyama to check Pyroar? It looks like you're just cherry picking calcs for the sake of making physical Pyroar look good, and frankly you're not doing a very good job as it is.

Attacking from the weaker side of the spectrum is meant to be used as a surprise way of taking out traditional counters to the regular set, but this isn't like Samurott or Sceptile (which at least have Swords Dance); physical Pyroar is incredibly bad at 'punishing' Fire checks and is very easily taken advantage of by even offensive Pokemon that aren't hit hard enough by Pyroar's attacks, much less Pokemon that already stop special Pyroar. You'd probably have better luck with a physical Typhlosion, and I'm not recommending that :/

Lol Pyroar has 68 Base Attack, which is complete shit and kills nothing. No good Fire STAB, extremely poor KOing power, and most Pyroar responses do not fear physical Pyroar in the slightest. Also, how did Dragalge let Pyroar KO something, why doesn't Dragalge have more defensive investment, and who uses Guts Flame Orb Hariyama to check Pyroar? It looks like you're just cherry picking calcs for the sake of making physical Pyroar look good, and frankly you're not doing a very good job as it is.

Attacking from the weaker side of the spectrum is meant to be used as a surprise way of taking out traditional counters to the regular set, but this isn't like Samurott or Sceptile (which at least have Swords Dance); physical Pyroar is incredibly bad at 'punishing' Fire checks and is very easily taken advantage of by even offensive Pokemon that aren't hit hard enough by Pyroar's attacks, much less Pokemon that already stop special Pyroar. You'd probably have better luck with a physical Typhlosion, and I'm not recommending that :/
Well, ik 258 Attack isn't really much but when it comes in and the opponent tries to counter you with a specially defensive Pokemon, you can most likely kill it and get the Moxie boost.
Flame Charge is good enough for it's STAB because it raises your speed and Flame Charge+ Return kill stuff like an incoming Primeape which would normally outspeed you. Return is pretty much everything you need as the STAB move for Pyroar. Wild Charge+ Crunch are for coverage, because as I said, no one EVER expects a physical Pyroar. Most of the time I use it, it pretty much screws over the person being up against it. And no, those persons are no nubs. +1 Pyroar is very strong tbh. ~390 Atk isn't half bad so I really DON't understand why you're whining.
Edit: Yes, I do know my damage calcs for this Pyroar were very bad, but this was my 1st post here and I had NO idea what damage calcs would help you seeing how good a Pokemon is... No need to get mad at me and curse at me because I had no idea. <.<

Well, ik 258 Attack isn't really much but when it comes in and the opponent tries to counter you with a specially defensive Pokemon, you can most likely kill it and get the Moxie boost.
Flame Charge is good enough for it's STAB because it raises your speed and Flame Charge+ Return kill stuff like an incoming Primeape which would normally outspeed you. Return is pretty much everything you need as the STAB move for Pyroar. Wild Charge+ Crunch are for coverage, because as I said, no one EVER expects a physical Pyroar. Most of the time I use it, it pretty much screws over the person being up against it. And no, those persons are no nubs. +1 Pyroar is very strong tbh. ~390 Atk isn't half bad so I really DON't understand why you're whining.
Edit: Yes, I do know my damage calcs for this Pyroar were very bad, but this was my 1st post here and I had NO idea what damage calcs would help you seeing how good a Pokemon is... No need to get mad at me and curse at me because I had no idea. <.<
The thing isn't that moxie Pyroar is bad ( which it is ), but that it is outclassed and shouldn't be used. It isn't as strong as, say, Flareon even after a moxie boost.
The opportunity cost in using moxie Pyroar is NOT using the regular pyroar, or Typhlosion for that matter, which isn't worth it. It also absolutely NEEDS the boost to do any significant damage at all.
It has surprise value, I give you that, but specs Primeape has that too, but it isn't considered a viable set.

I made lots of gimmick teams during my sabbatical. Here are some of said gimmicks.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

I made this set like a week ago. It's probably better on Samurott, with Hydro Pump or Surf over Waterfall, but this set is funnier and serves as a better lure. Superpower hits Ferroseed, Ice Beam hits every other Grass-type. The other reason aside from being a better lure to use this guy over Samurott is that its Aqua Jet is so much stronger, so you've got powerful priority without boosting.

Mothim @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

Choice Specs Mothim is ridiculously strong. It's like a shittier Tinted Lens Yanmega, but considering Yanmega was banned from RU and this is NU, the fact that it's shittier isn't important. You can use Sleep Talk over HP Ground too, but I don't like Probopass.

Lampent @ Eviolite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Pain Split

Lampent is a god. It counters all Fire-types except for Dark Pulse Pyroar, which sucks, and Earthquake Magmortar, which is never used on the ladder because people have a tremendous boner for Psychic. You can also run a defensive set and counter BD Slurpuff with it, but offensive cooler.

Vileplume @ Life Orb
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Life Orb Vileplume is strong. I think I like Black Sludge with the same set more, but Life Orb gets some surprise kills.

Punchshroom

Vileplume @ Life Orb
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Life Orb Vileplume is strong. I think I like Black Sludge with the same set more, but Life Orb gets some surprise kills.
Wtf LO Plume ain't a gimmick it's one of the main sets (albeit without Sleep Powder because LO Hidden Power can own shit :P) such a monster tank what u doin' Tree

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Miltank (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Double-Edge
- Rock Slide / Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

A fun set I've been playing around with for a fun suicide lead on Offensive teams. Suicide Miltank's goal is to get up rocks, then spam Double-Edge until it dies. You have extra coverage for Crustle with Rock slide, some extra damage on Rock type leads/switch ins with EQ, and (if you really want to guarantee you'll hit) Thunder Punch for Archeops and Water/Flying Defoggers (Miltank outspeeds +speed Swanna and all). LOrb Miltank isn't anything new, I know, but it's a fun alternative for a lead that can be played differently than what it has been. Seems like we need some alternatives since the lead Archeops hype is dying down and all.

Reactions: kay

Munchlax (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Return/Body Slam
- Whirlwind

A fun set I've played around with that can really take special hits quite well. Something that really handles Fire spam quite well in the tier. Munchlax's ability allows him to come on some fairly common pokemon such as Typhlosion, Cryagnol, and others and take hits. The Rest-Talk allows him to regain all health back and rid of the statuses while the Body Slam will hopefully paralyze the opponent. (however you will most certainly not outspeed anything) And the whirlwind is there if you need to get rid of a setup sweeper or just to get hazard damage on another pokemon. With some hazard support this set can really weaken a team by forcing switches to handle him.

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax: 87-103 (18.3 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 186-220 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 105-124 (22.1 - 26.1%) -- 8.4% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax: 32-40 (6.7 - 8.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 67-81 (14.1 - 17%) -- possible 6HKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)