Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Given this was Japan's first airing of the commercial / trailer, ngl, CoroCoro just seems like it'll rehash this stuff. Not gonna hope for anything.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would like to point out that the entire point of the "first TV airing" of the Sun and Moon trailer at the end was undermined by a commercial break 10 minutes before.

GF and/or TPCi are shit at this.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, at least it was consistent with, uh...

every other instance of hype on this entire thread? I'm going to go back to never ever having my hopes up ever. I think it was a winning strategy.
This was on a whole new level, though. From what I gather, they promised gameplay and a "first look" footage.

And then they aired the trailer on the commercial.

The same trailer we've seen before.

And that was already available on PokemonCoJp on Youtube.

But hey, 10 new pokémon at least o.o!

What was the point of this? They really shouldn't make any kind of announcement of this kind just for footage people could look up on the internet. It needs to be something more substantial that that, even if it was simply a full release date.

I really have the feeling that we're not getting over 75 new pokemon sans mega evolutions. It's going to hard for kids to see "catching them all" as an achievable goal.

Another thought crossed my head earlier today. What if one of the reasons R/B/Y is compatible with S/M is a lack of Kanto pokemon in S/M? It's possible that they might make it so a bulk of Kanto pokemon cannot be found in S/M.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
What was the point of this? They really shouldn't make any kind of announcement of this kind just for footage people could look up on the internet. It needs to be something more substantial that that, even if it was simply a full release date.
Well last time Masuda was on Pokenchi, they did nothing apart from some Masuda music, and commenting that Masuda's hair looked like Psyduck.

While we're all being pessimistic, here's a scary thought that came to me several days ago:

What if Pokemon Bank will only allow blue pentagon Pokemon from Gen VI to be transferred to Gen VII?

It's already proven that it's perfectly capable of these kinds of restrictions, since it's able to prevent ORAS-exclusive moves from being transferred to X/Y, and it's able to prevent Gen I Virtual Console Pokemon from being transferred to Gen VI (only VII). It could easily implement the rule that if a Pokemon doesn't have a blue pentagon and it isn't from Gen I, it can't be transferred to Gen VII.

With the introduction of the blue pentagon in X/Y they clearly wanted some way to specifically split Gen V- Pokemon from Gen VI Pokemon, whether it was through Battle Spot, VGC, or just the "blue pentagon only" search/filter option in Bank. Who's to say that this split won't become permanent? It feels a lot more likely than it did when this first popped into my head.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While we're all being pessimistic, here's a scary thought that came to me several days ago:

What if Pokemon Bank will only allow blue pentagon Pokemon from Gen VI to be transferred to Gen VII?

It's already proven that it's perfectly capable of these kinds of restrictions, since it's able to prevent ORAS-exclusive moves from being transferred to X/Y, and it's able to prevent Gen I Virtual Console Pokemon from being transferred to Gen VI (only VII). It could easily implement the rule that if a Pokemon doesn't have a blue pentagon and it isn't from Gen I, it can't be transferred to Gen VII.

With the introduction of the blue pentagon in X/Y they clearly wanted some way to specifically split Gen V- Pokemon from Gen VI Pokemon, whether it was through Battle Spot, VGC, or just the "blue pentagon only" search/filter option in Bank. Who's to say that this split won't become permanent? It feels a lot more likely than it did when this first popped into my head.
1) Nowhere is it stated that Pokebank will block gen 1 from getting into gen 6. It only showcased that it's able to go to gen 7. The tool to import your gen 1 pokemon into Pokebank will be out at the end of the year.

2) There has never been a case of Pokemon not being able to be transfered into a future generation. The only instances of transfer blocks are into past generations.

3) The blue pentagon split never came into play when using Pokebank. Why would it do so now.

Another thought crossed my head earlier today. What if one of the reasons R/B/Y is compatible with S/M is a lack of Kanto pokemon in S/M? It's possible that they might make it so a bulk of Kanto pokemon cannot be found in S/M.
Perhaps they want to promote it as a "unique" feature for S/M. GF usually makes certain features for gen games unique to only them, like how they made seasons (currently) unique for Gen V, where poffins are unique for Gen IV, and how customizing your trainer is (currently) unique to Gen VI.

They tend to leave these kinds of features out from later gen games, so this could be another case.

Counterpoint: what if they don't?

Seriously, it's best to keep this kind of hypothetical prompt to a minimum. Unless you've got strong evidence it's really just a fear on your part and nothing of substance.

As for the video, that April Fool's joke was sure funny, if a tad late. Guess it was written by a Slowpoke.

2) There has never been a case of Pokemon not being able to be transfered into a future generation. The only instances of transfer blocks are into past generations.
Not entirely true as physical Generation I and II games are completely incompatible with Generation III on. The only thing is that it wasn't because Game Freak made it that way: how GB/GBC link features work and the GBA link features work are actually incompatible (to the point that a GBA link cable isn't reverse compatible with GB/GBC games on those systems).
Game Freak knows that locking out a person's first Pokémon from previous generations, let alone the vast array of other, much rarer 'mons, would cause every Pokémon fan to storm Game Freak's offices.
I really wouldn't worry about Pokémon from Gens III-V from being locked out of Sun and Moon.

Reactions: JES
Perhaps they want to promote it as a "unique" feature for S/M. GF usually makes certain features for gen games unique to only them, like how they made seasons (currently) unique for Gen V, where poffins are unique for Gen IV, and how customizing your trainer is (currently) unique to Gen VI.

They tend to leave these kinds of features out from later gen games, so this could be another case.

Considering that most games do not allow you to catch every pokemon + Sun and Moon are adding pokemon + Kanto's 151 are among the largest portions // it would make sense for them to leave out some of the Kanto pokemon since you can still get them through RBY as well as force you to buy the games since Nintendo wants $$.

1) Nowhere is it stated that Pokebank will block gen 1 from getting into gen 6. It only showcased that it's able to go to gen 7. The tool to import your gen 1 pokemon into Pokebank will be out at the end of the year.

3) The blue pentagon split never came into play when using Pokebank. Why would it do so now.
1) Straight from the press release on 2/27:
Note that Pokémon cannot be moved directly from Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow to Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank.
2) Already mentioned, but Generations II and III are entirely incompatible with each other. And this isn't saying that Gen VI won't be compatible with Gen VII in general, it's specifically saying that only for non-blue pentagon Pokemon which originated in Gen V-. And if you're asking why generation of origin would suddenly matter now when it never has before - it didn't matter for Battle Spot or VGC until this generation either. There wasn't a special marking for generation of origin until now either.

3) See above. There's also a search feature in Bank that specifically filters for blue pentagon Pokemon. And uh, it's impossible for the blue pentagon split to have come into play before now? I'm saying that Bank would block non-blue pentagon Pokemon from being withdrawn into Gen VII just like how it would block Gen I Pokemon from being withdrawn into Gen VI, not that Bank would block non-blue pentagon Pokemon from being deposited in the first place. Currently, the only set of games that can deposit into Pokemon Bank are the same set of games that can withdraw from it, and all games in the set are inter-compatible without Bank. What kind of split would even be possible?

More potential evidence is the fact that every time it's been possible to complete the Pokedex (minus events) inside a single generation, there's been a compatibility gap involved somewhere. It's not possible to complete the Pokedex inside Gen II, IV, or V alone, but it is possible in Gen I, III, and VI.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1) Straight from the press release on 2/27:

2) Already mentioned, but Generations II and III are entirely incompatible with each other. And this isn't saying that Gen VI won't be compatible with Gen VII in general, it's specifically saying that only for non-blue pentagon Pokemon which originated in Gen V-. And if you're asking why generation of origin would suddenly matter now when it never has before - it didn't matter for Battle Spot or VGC until this generation either. There wasn't a special marking for generation of origin until now either.

3) See above. There's also a search feature in Bank that specifically filters for blue pentagon Pokemon. And uh, it's impossible for the blue pentagon split to have come into play before now? I'm saying that Bank would block non-blue pentagon Pokemon from being withdrawn into Gen VII just like how it would block Gen I Pokemon from being withdrawn into Gen VI, not that Bank would block non-blue pentagon Pokemon from being deposited in the first place. Currently, the only set of games that can deposit into Pokemon Bank are the same set of games that can withdraw from it, and all games in the set are inter-compatible without Bank. What kind of split would even be possible?

More potential evidence is the fact that every time it's been possible to complete the Pokedex (minus events) inside a single generation, there's been a compatibility gap involved somewhere. It's not possible to complete the Pokedex inside Gen II, IV, or V alone, but it is possible in Gen I, III, and VI.
1) Ok, I didn't know it was explicitly stated.

2) Gen 2 to 3 were incompatible COMPLETELY due to hardware limitations. Why would they purposefully limit themselves without any good reason when literally the reason why Pokebank exists is so that people can carry over pokemon with whom they share memories of from past games? That's just completely stupid. Also why are you even comparing bringing pokemon over to using it in a competitive environment. The main Pokemon playerbase are only concerned with bringing their pokemon over, not whether it's usable on the online ladder.

3) Why wouldn't there be a filter for blue pentagon when there's a specific regulation on Battle Spot that you can only use those Pokemon? Also, you can deposit into bank via BW/2 but not withdraw so that's completely false. Also the fact that gen 1 pokemon won't have the blue pentagon only adds on to the fact that your idea is absolutely not going to happen.

What does the ability to complete the pokedex within one generation have anything to do with whether gen 7 will only allow blue pentagon to be transfered? You'll still be able to complete the dex in gen 7 regardless.

Wireframe bird gotta be Porygon-Z's Mega. It gets a Pinocchio's and becomes a real bird.

Or it may be the new route 1 bird.

Suggestion: can we have mixed starter typings on the starters, it would make things fresh:

Grass + Fire type - sweeper, not a defensive supporter grass type again
Fire + Water type - tank/wall, finally a defensive fire type starter
Water + Grass type - can be anything, we've had defensive and offensive water starters

Ah, being the late one as always... so there are literally nothing new about SunMoon (SuMo? SnMn?) aside that there will be 10+ new Pokemon (wait, who am I kidding)?

Now I wonder how to gauge the hype for Gen VII in the whole fanbase. I feel like this is not as great as Gen6, most likely because Gen6 had many revolutions in their features, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)