Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Actually, I wonder if black people are unhappy with the lack of afro hair for customization?
I mean, we have the black people skin shade, but he/ she still has the same hair like everyone else.

PS: I'm not black. That's why I'm asking.

Actually, I wonder if black people are unhappy with the lack of afro hair for customization?
I mean, we have the black people skin shade, but he/ she still has the same hair like everyone else.

I can't speak for every person of color, nor should I, but I really don't care if there's an Afro or not. (Though if there was, I would at least like the option to try for a Miror B.-esque look if there was.) The skin tone is way more important to me.

Well, as long as they still have a hair stylist in the game like in X&Y and that that person could give you an afro it should be fine.

What if we could be bald? Then we could be Caillou... A Caillou themed run....

But being serious I really hope we have loads of hair options. I didn't really like any of the female trainer ones, and I've heard there weren't many options for the male one. I want to see a nice variety, make it easier for your trainer to really become you. I'd like a colorwheel for choosing haircolor too, but as seen in the Japanese trailer it doesn't seem to be an option.

Okay, huge blob-o'-text, so let's break this down:

Rowlet:
If I were to pick one based on looks, I'd go with this cute little guy. I expect him to evolve into a wise old owl, and to learn Psychic type moves to whack any pesky Poison types that get in his way, like his lesser Hoothoot cousin.

Gotta love Sugimori's reference artwork, and the ability to attack using leavy feathers as a weapon is inspirational aesthetically and logically. The ability to rotate the head on a 180˚ angle up and around adds the potential for a lot of character. I just hope The Doctor keeps his eye on the battle, and is the one who chooses to follow Ash. I have high hopes for the evolutions, even with the massive Ice weakness. Don't let me down, Game Freak!

Litten:
At first impression, I was not impressed with Litten. Not. One. Bit. The black and blood red in this case, combined with the sickly, yellow, bored-I-don't-care,-meh eyes did not impress me. I feel that a lighter red or orange-red, similar to Houndoom, and almond-shaped eyes like Purrloin, would have been more aesthetically pleasing. Instead, Litten comes off as the ugly, grumpy runt of the house nobody likes, and doesn't look like he gives a shit.

The reference artwork gives her far more justice. The fire-hairball is genius, and I like how she hackles up when attacking. Hopefully, as she evolves, they'll do something with those whiskers and hackles, like similarly to Quilava and Typhlosion, who has certain places where the fire vents out. Oh, and please let it stay as a quadruped!

And then we have, sigh, Popplio. One of the silliest, dumbest looking starters we've had since, like ever. Yeah, I understand the clown seal aesthetic, but I don't like it, and I especially don't like the big, pink nose. Seals or such sleek, hydrodynamic creatures with cute little black eyes. Instead, we have this...thing.

But I get the feeling with all the reference artwork that we might be seeing Popplio a lot come the next anime season. Hopefully, it will evolve into something cool-looking or Greninja-useful, and fast! If it sticks around like Oshawott, I might not want to continue watching the anime!
Like, as in evolving from carefree, into just plain whacky and crazy: a crazy Dark-type clown who looks like he escaped the circus with crazy eyes and a grin full of razor sharp teeth. That's the only way to save this design in my view. I mean, I only really like Mr. Mime because he's somewhat creepy (okay, so it's the color palette, but whatever!). Or be Ubers good, so I won't care how it looks, so long as it has a job and does it well. I want it to terrify enemies, and be a pleasure to use.

Now that bitter taste is in my mouth, let's move on to the legendaries.

The legendaries, OTOH, are awesome!
Finally, we have a Pokémon who is worthy of the name Liger Zero! Then again, his bulky mane reminds me more of Trinity Liger. Sorry Lunaala, but I guess I'll be passing on the cooler of the two colors again!

And Lunaala the Dreamcatcher is pretty cool too. Beautiful! Wish I could have them both!

And I noticed how they used part of the RSE theme in the main theme. I hope that doesn't mean Masuda is running out of ideas of how to make different versions of the main theme, and that it was intentional. As in, we are going to be visiting at least the Battle Frontier as shown in Emerald.

Last edited:
I think it will be another sort of evolution mechanic. Either a bit like Primals, or a bit like Ash-Greninja in the anime.
nah i think its like a white orb, black orb thing where those things allow for the legends to exist except they need to hold them to be usable or something

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And then Fennekin evolved into a Fire/Psychic-type and took its revenge.

Really hoping this game has some sort of subplot involving Zygarde. Maybe collecting secret cell Zygardes scattered thought the region or something. Just don't want the devs to completely abandon them.
Actually I've been thinking about what they would do with Zygarde lately. It's not getting its own game and its certainly not going to have any focus in Sun & Moon. It's time to shine was in Gen VI and that opportunity has passed... or has it? Well, for it having its own game yes, but I began thinking what if they did something like a "Z Episode" like they did for ORAS with the "Delta Episode". It'll have to be a download/update, and possibly a big one as it'll need to add things to all the Gen VI games (X, Y, Omega Ruby, & Alpha Sapphire) like the Zygarde formes, but honestly that's really the only option left for it. It can also be used as a test to see if they can add new content onto the cartridges that's not already on it (or have it be a package on the 3DS which the games access).

What's wrong with bipedal Pokémon? I don't get why people are so opposed to Litten becoming one.
I think people just want something different, call Fire-type starters which started as a quadruped became bipedal at some point in their evolution. Meanwhile the Grass and Water starters had quadruped final evolution.

• There was a Meowth in the Japanese trailer, so no "black & white" type of thing with entirely new pokemon.
Unless they have a Meowth there as a family pet to show they're from a far off region as Meowth aren't native to Alola. But I think Kalos has shown it's much better to use the older Pokemon to fill in certain gaps so that the new Pokemon can be allowed to explore new ideas instead of being crammed into a niche.

OOH! I just got another theory! You know how in XY the Pokedex was split into 3 areas? Well being it's highly likely Alola will be a chain of islands maybe each island will have a section of the dex dedicated to it (including the water surrounding it as I don't want them to have the water be its own dex, I want different water biomes Arceus damn it)!

PLEASE STOP GETTING INTO DINOSAUR DEBATES ON A POKEMON FORUM!

Thank you.

Sorry, now to keep this relevant, I'm still not sold on the Sun Lion legendary and I'm beginning to piece together why:

There's just something really safe about it. Like the design is fine but it just doesn't take any risks either. Like if you asked me what the stereotypical anime lion design would look like, it would be this.

I guess I shouldn't complain though. I don't hate the design (the starry galaxy face is kind of cool), and we did get a really cool luna-bat out of this.

And at least they aren't both dragons!
Don't forget:

Now one thing I have to mention, because it's got to come up sooner or later, is the question (and I'm sorry if this has been brought up already): will there be a new type introduced?

I remember when X and Y came up everyone thought there would be a new type from the start (with sound and light as common guesses), and the discussion on it was shut down because "there was too much of it" and "it was highly unlikely". Well, we did end up getting a new type, so that was kind of bad reasoning, but I do remember it getting out of hand last time. It was all speculation and almost nothing based in what we knew (at least until Sylveon was announced), which is why it had been shot down.

That being said, I think the topic should at least be broached, as we don't know the legendary typing and there is now precedent, what with X and Y introducing fairy type.

For me, I would guess no, even with not having clear legendary types. It's too soon after X and Y adding fairy to mess with the metagame again. They need time to flesh out the fairy type, so I doubt it's something they'll do.

However, playing the opposite end of the spectrum, I could see a potential "space" or "cosmic" type, applied to both legendaries, based on the oddly tech/space look of their eyes/visors/whatever those are. It would fit with sun and moon and would fit pokemon that exist as well. However, again, I think this is highly unlikely. I just wanted to put the topic out there so we could have it and be done with it. We don't know the legendaries' typings yet, so it is possible that they're hiding it for that reason as with Xerneas, but I think that's highly unlikely.
Please no. Let's keep new types for special occasions (ignoring that this is the 20th Anniversary year) and only added when it feels like things have gotten into a slump of sorts with the types (honestly I think around Gen IV or V we should have gotten a new type but I digress). Also this will be Fairy-type's first gen as just a type, not the "new" type but equal to the other types. I think we should give it at least one more gen to fully settle in before we start mixing things up again.

Don't jinx it :(

Attcks signatures of Legendaries

Actually I think we saw Moon Bat's signature in the International Trailer. As Jibaku said it looks just like it. Though that doesn't mean they can't have a second Signature move...

Another thing which is still kind of mysterious are the Stones on the Japanese Pokemon Sun & Moon Logos. I wonder what it actually going to be. Many people assume that in these games there will be some kind of different evolution mechanic like Mega evolution since in the Pokemon X and Y japanese Logo there was the Mega Evolution stone too.

What are you think about it ?

Another sort of Evolution mechanic would be for my favour too soon but I would accept it. Another thing is there is a lot of Pokemon who still are waiting on a Mega Evolution.
Also I don't see the stones integrated into Sun Lion & Moon Bat's design so it doesn't seem to have come from them...

At the start they probably want the character to have a simple haircut, could probably get another one later like in XY. Though probably not afro as that would mess with the hat... unless we're allowed to finally not wear a hat.

Upstart

Copy Cat

The type discussion for litten is giving me quite literal deja vu or perhaps flashbacks. Dark fire based on coat color or fire poison based on manticore tail. It seems time will tell as we await troll freaks reveal.

Something interesting from the official art is that his black oily skin turns red when agitated or offensive. I would venture to guess as litten evolves and it's core temperature rises, it will adopt a color scheme closer to that of a fire type. The higher fire out put will ignite the fur creating a more red and orange scheme.

Esmeya

There's nothing left. Goodbye.
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
There's a hell of a lot of comments here, so forgive me if this has been covered, but did anyone else notice that Litten kind of looks like a ninja? Specifically the patterns on its head. If that continues to the final, we could have another Fire/Fighting, but Fire/Dark is also completely possible (especially given the fact that Greninja exists).
I didn't say anything about a ninja, no, but I did touch on the markings earlier [Here]

Suppose I could add the, "it could also just be a dark type" line here, but with my brand of jinxing it'll be Fire/Steel or something silly.

There's also a stone called tiger's eye (or something like that) if I remember right. I'd actually love an awesome fire/rock type.
While yes, there is a gemstone commonly referred to as "Tiger(s) Eye" it has very little relation to volcanic activity (pesudo-'metamorphic'). Though I still feel a strong resemblance to rocks with this Pokemon and its facial features do bear a mild resemblance to the upside down archaic Han character or the very uncommon Kanji character that can make up the word, "black" or "dark" which is also used to form the word "Obsidian" - which happens to have a great deal to do with volcanic activity being igneous and all.

The difference being that Stroke 6 (the small 'line') and Stroke 8 (the long 'line') are reversed on its face.

[Insert terrible editing]

Edit: Clarification.
I would venture to guess as litten evolves and it's core temperature rises, it will adopt a color scheme closer to that of a fire type. The higher fire out put will ignite the fur creating a more red and orange scheme.
Weaker flames are darker red, orange flames are slightly hotter and white/blue flames are the hottest. Hence the legendary Lion - so would Litten not gain an orange/white or white/blue hue in that case? If it's permanently agitated or high agitation (0 happiness, would be annoying if that was a factor) to achieve evolution (in the example of Psyduck getting a big enough migraine to evolve then becoming "normal" afterwards from the anime) would it then have to function like Ponyta/Rapidash in that it trusts people close to it and the flames/heat won't burn them then?

Edit: By white/blue I mean significant brilliance not a dull, deep blue.
Edit2: English is hard.

Last edited:

As someone who IS black, having a representation of our natural hair would absolutely be a step in the right direction for diversity. But seeing as not every black person's hair is an "afro" as you put it, I'm at least glad they've given us a better range of skin color this time around. XY was a start but it wasn't perfect. I'm much happier that they've given darker-skinned people a skin color they can relate with.
But I think the further we go in generations and hardware limitations, the better they'll be about allowing people to more accurately customize their avatar, no matter their race or gender.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Weaker flames are darker red, orange flames are slightly hotter and white/blue flames are the hottest. Hence the legendary Lion - so would Litten not gain an orange/white or white/blue hue in that case? If it's permanently agitated or high agitation (0 happiness, would be annoying if that was a factor) to achieve evolution (in the example of Psyduck getting a big enough migraine to evolve then becoming "normal" afterwards from the anime) would it then have to function like Ponyta/Rapidash in that it trusts people close to it and the flames/heat won't burn them then?.
The starters are more than likely to evolve at 16 and 36 with other evolution methods being highlighted later in the game. So I doubt they'll factor happiness into the starter evolution. Although you're right scientificly, game freak isn't measuring flame heat for appropriate color. IIRC correctly one of the dex entry has a Pokemon hotter than the sun. Regardless of the final typing, the litten line pallet will carry heavy red and black overtones. My venture was that as he evolves patches of the fur will become red as the oil ignites from increased "fire power". My corollary would be that this might manifest itself in a striped pattern to be a tiger or sabertooth tiger. It would be real cool if in the animation you see the stripes flare up right before it attacks kind of like typhlosions back or how blaziken s wrists flare up. So it looks like a panther and then stripes flare up on its body as it releases and overheat.

Well it kind of depends. If you have an afro you might want one in game, but if your like me with a lebron hairline then all you go for is the short hair.

First of all, Rowlet. Because birds. Also, it has a bow-tie and if it's anything like Piplup -> Empoleon then I'm in love. Secondly, I can't wait for Alola. Hawai'i is a perfect setting due to its landscape heterogeneity. Volcanoes, white sand, lush vegetation inland due to volcanic soils, coral reefs offshore, mountains and valleys, waterfalls and plateaus, snow at higher elevations, and several extensive cave systems formed as the result of lava tubes. Furthermore, I'd love to see actual surfing in the game complete with some sort of mini-game. This should be the Cinnabar Island(s) we deserve.

Game Freak is so unpredictable that I won't even begin to speculate what Popplio's evolutions might look like. I thought Oshawott's nose was an issue, but it ended up growing into it. An elephant seal with a heavy emphasis on the nose as its weaponry might make sense. Popplio's nose has small slits which remind me of ports on some gun barrels, but I doubt they'd incorporate that into their design.

I don't think Litten will become bipedal. Yes, Fennekin and Tepig made the change, but Typhlosion is still technically quadrupedal. The rest were originally bipedal so I think we're looking at a small sample size. Pokemon have rarely changed their stance when you look across all generations.

I'd also like to see a mechanic whereby the National dex is somehow incorporated in a more realistic way - perhaps Grass-types are the first to colonize and certain Pokemon, e.g. Meowth, cause problems for native Pokemon.

Well, I mean. Considering black people can have short hair like anyone else, and anyone else who's not black can choose to have an afro...
Hair Styling's kind of a choice, skin pigmentation isn't. So that's what matters here.

Well... I am firmly on team Popplio.
YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DESTROY WATER-TYPES, NOT JOIN THEM!

Now I have had some time to put my thoughts together (and tidy the thread up a bit, please don't double or triple post if possible, you have an edit button...) I am actually even more excited than when I was yesterday.

The region looks stunning. We have ACTUAL HILLS. No grids?! The long shot of the (presumably) early area of the game looks amazing. Lots of water, lots of chilled out people. Maybe we will get some cameos from people like Brawley or Wattson with their Surfing/Hawaiian themes. I am really hoping we get a Surfing minigame or something akin to the Ash thing where he won the Orange Islands badge. That would be really awesome. Glad trainer customization is back (at least it looks that way), let's just hope that there are more options than there were in XY (especially for boys).
That would be sweet:

I would love for this to make a return (I still need to do it on my actual copy of Yellow (I don't own the VC version, but I do own Stadium).
Oh yeah, I think the Moon mascot looks amazing!

So, anyone else like it? No...? OK...
I absolutely love it. It's so freaking cool looking. I was already going to get Moon as my main game, but this just made me want it more.

On the mysterious diamond symbols on the Japanese logos:
If it has to be something new and gameplay related, I would lean towards "Mega, but not Mega", like with the Primals.
Here are other possiblities:
Items that deal with plot, not gameplay (like the Dark and Light Stones from Black and White).
There just to look cool. It's been done before:

True, those are remakes, but hell, we have the general symbols for Sun and Moon in all versions of the logo.
Also, assuming it has to do with Burst Evolutions might just be us projecting. Need I point to the Star Wars fandom right now? Sometimes, the vast amount of knowledge we have about a franchise just makes it more likely to make theories that are completely wrong. Especially since drawing a weird idea from an obscure manga about wearing Pokémon seems unlikely. I mean, Yu-Gi-Oh! had that in Capsule Monsters, but never implemented it in the TCG.

On there being a new type(s):
I highly doubt it. Right now, there isn't a major problem like Dragon was. Now, some of you might start citing Fairy's strengths, but that's theoretical. The Fairies we have aren't nearly as broken as the Dragons of the past. It wasn't purely Dragon's resists that made it broken, it was also the fact they tend to have high BST, powerful STABs (both physical and special), and large, useful movepools.
Right now, there isn't a major need for a new type.

Look, it's a celestial lunar bat that gets a freakin' moon laser.

What more do you people want?

Also, I'm #SmittenForLitten. How about the rest of you guys?
Well yeah... but it didn't jump out of Power Rangers so I'm getting Sun.

I'm personally choosing Litten, though Rowlet is my favourite - I'm choosing the latter because the last two games I went with Chespin and Treecko. I don't like to repeat my starter type many times in a row unless said type is the only starter of the new trio I like. Which isn't the case because these are all ADORABLE

I hope they pull a B/W and exclude old pokemon, but there was a mini game were you could get old pokemon. I want and improved version of that though were its kinda like the friend safari and the safari zone. Let me elaborate, it would be like the mini game were you connected to the old game, but like the friend safari were you are guaranteed certain pokemon(maybe as far as a certain type I don't really know). It would also be like the safari zone were you had to use bait and rocks to catch them, but like the HG/SS safari zone were you could change the environment you went to.

I hope they pull a B/W and exclude old pokemon, but there was a mini game were you could get old pokemon. I want and improved version of that though were its kinda like the friend safari and the safari zone. Let me elaborate, it would be like the mini game were you connected to the old game, but like the friend safari were you are guaranteed certain pokemon(maybe as far as a certain type I don't really know). It would also be like the safari zone were you had to use bait and rocks to catch them, but like the HG/SS safari zone were you could change the environment you went to.
For that matter... excluding (For obvious reasons) Gen I, all odd generations included a high amount of Pokemon while mostly ignoring (Or outright excluding) past-gen ones until the post-game.

I hope they follow that 'formula'.

So far I'm very excited (and also very late lmao) on what we've seen. The new starters all look cool to me, and the legendaries look totally insane (their signature moves are badass, last time I ot this worked up over a move animation was Mega Rayquaza's Dragon Ascent).

I think I'll pick Sun vs Moon and Littem vs Popplio vs Rowlet based on which I prefer from a competitive standpoint (movepool, typing, whatever seems most appealing) since I can't decide right now.

On the subject of the rock-thing in the SM logos, I'd guess it either has no meaning or it's some special item needed to summon/awaken/rustle their jimmies the legendaries, similar to how the Red and Blue orbs worked in Ruby and Sapphire. I also think the island shown is one of several that we can progress through in-game. Maybe this is one of the main ones, or the starter island.

In any case I'm very excited o see what future content will be revealed. My main hope atm is that we'll get a more substantial pokedex (ie more than Kalos). In gen 6 it made sense to add less mons since there were such big changes in mega evolutions and fairy-types, but now that we aren't expecting major changes akin to those, we will hopefully get more new pokemon instead.

I think it will be another sort of evolution mechanic. Either a bit like Primals, or a bit like Ash-Greninja in the anime.
Wait so in this post I pointed out that the moon legend really seems to be changing formes in the trailer. Check the link in that post. People explained that difference as just the pokemon moving around, but the bone things change shape drastically and really, really look like bones so they should not be flexible. Nobody else thinks so?

As someone mentioned a few pages back, a Meowth was shown in the trailer so we're not getting a BW deal. ... unless, uh, the decision was "Only Gen 7 Pokémon... plus Meowth. I really like that little guy."
Plus it's the 20th anniversary game, it'd be a crime to exclude the last six gens until you beat the champion. I'd expect the old mainstays; Geodude, Magikarp, Zubat... Marill who has somehow managed to be catchable pre-champ in every game since Gold and Silver aside from FRLG and BW.
I'd also expect quite a few Hoenn Pokémon since Alola and Hoenn are both tropical climates. And if they somehow do a region based on Hawaii and don't have Bellossom available, I have no clue what's going on anymore.

edit:
Wait so in this post I pointed out that the moon legend really seems to be changing formes in the trailer. Check the link in that post. People explained that difference as just the pokemon moving around, but the bone things change shape drastically and really, really look like bones so they should not be flexible. Nobody else thinks so?
I did notice the different shape, yeah. Personally though I think it's just a sort of 'attack mode' not unlike Xerneas' 'Active form'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)