Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the old Pokémon like Salamence and Gengar have their old models/animations?

As I am 100% satisfied with the XY-animations (all of them, really!) I wouldn't mind. I'm just curious.
Well, Salamence and Gengar have been shown to be, so yes.
We also saw Pikachu in some screenshots and Slowpoke in one of the trailers

I doubt the 3D models are going to change a lot during the 3DS era... maybe they will get some new animations or something?

Upstart

Copy Cat
The Rotom dex really swung for the fences on an otherwise safe reveal. Someone else pointed out how jam packed and accessible the islands seem to be. Although open world seems a way off, I see the intermingling and branching of routes allowing for exploration and greater packing of locations. Innovation upon the linear paths we've sadly been subjected to time and time again.

Rotom could act as a GPS allowing us to choose which objective be it a Pokemon to hunt, badge to get, or area to explore at our own pace all without getting lost.

Thoughts: I wonder how the Rotom PokeDex is going to implemented in the Anime. Probably Ash or any of his new companions might have one. But I'm curious about how it would mesh with the series now considering it's effectively both a tool and a "walking Pokemon"

Reactions: JES

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have to say, the Japanese names for the signature moves are so much cooler. Meteor Drive and Shadow Ray >>> Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam.
Wait, this changes a few things.

Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam sound tailored to Solgaleo and Lunala. Judging by the English names, they appear certain to remain signature moves forever, at least until a new sunsteel Pokémon or another moongeist shows up. With those names, no other Pokémon than Solgaleo and Lunala could ever use them.

Meteor Drive and Shadow Ray are very generic names by comparison. It sounds like the sort of moves that stay exclusive for a generation or two, then is handed out to everything from Clefable to Sableye. That would be pretty awkward in English. "Wait, what has Giratina to do with moongeists?" "Starmie doesn't sound very sunsteel-y to me. Am I missing something?"

I would say the translators are painting themselves into corners here, but then again the signature moves of legendaries have stayed signature moves since at least Gen III. So they could just have made the reasonable assumption that "Shadow Ray" and "Meteor Drive" will join the ranks of Mist Ball, Heart Swap and others; moves that sound very generic but remain exclusive to the Pokémon they were designed for, more than a decade after the fact.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay, so this is probably going to be a HUGE post but I am going to go through lots of little things I noticed about the overworld images... Thank you to Cresselia~~ for getting the HUGE images from Pokebeach, they are ace and really help with getting a good eye for whats going on. I'll be using those pictures to grab other images from to take a look at some areas.

Okay so to clarify - I am going to call the islands One Two Three Four. Island One is where we start off, as we have seen in the other trailers, Two is the Island in the North East corner, Three is the Island in the West and Four is "Big Island" in the South East. This matches up with how PokeBeach have labelled the islands in Cresselia's post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...up-to-date-news.3549746/page-120#post-6835382

Okay so Island One. We can definitely see the Pokemon Lab and Kukui's home on the beach. This island looks kinda small, but it is also home to what looks like the Pokemon Trainers School.

Its next to a Pokemon Center and has what looks very much like a battlefield outside. It could also be like the preschooler place we saw in Unova near Straiton City. The upper area of the island is definitely where you are probably living, 3 hourses for you, your rival and maybe the other protagonist?

Moving around this island, we have a small town and then a few different buildings which could be Gyms or other important location. There are two Pokemon Centers on this Island, which implies that we might be getting healing fairly often, as there does not seem to be much grass between them. It definitely looks like you might be able to move off the beaten path to encounter Pokemon, or you will encounter them like you did on the Route to Parfum Palace in Kalos, where they jump out of the hedges.

Island Two. Now things start to get interesting. Now, I'm going to split this into two islands, the southern, smaller island and the northern island. Now, here we start to see a proliferation of Pokemon Centers. There are 5 on the northern island and another one on the smaller island. There doesn't even seem to be much grass. I hope that there are a lot of trainers to make up for that... I'm not so sure on there being THIS many Centers.

Anyway, the far west of the island has a bizarre set of what I assume are hot springs, but it has a very interesting look to it.

The above area looks like a farm, but considering its position on a dead straight set of road, I think this should be the DayCare. There ARE however, multiple places that could be where the daycare is located. It looks like there might also be a gym here.

Moving east, this area might be a Contest Hall of some kind? It's large enough to be some sort of stadium, but it might just be an entrance to the volcanic area. Although, I think the entrance to that area is even further east and to the north, past the TWO PARKED CARS.

This area looks like another smallish town, with as nerd pointed out, may have a smaller "standard" looking gym like the old style buildings. There is also another one of those "Battle Circles" which might be (and look like) they are dotted around. I wonder if each of these may play a larger role.

Moving back west, there seems to be our "starter forest" in amongst the trees and then you end up at the building/hotel which was shown in the announcement trailer. I wonder how important this will be, or whether it will be a place to grind money/increase Style if they bring that mechanic across.

The smaller southern island appears to have a very Japanese influence, with a pagoda style gate. I think this area is similar to Lavander Town or Mt Chimney where the spirits of Pokemon come to rest. The graveyard looks like the perfect place for some spookiness. I have a feeling this will also be where most of the elderly Pokemon people will be too.

I'll post this for now and write up the other two islands in a bit. I'm really excited about exploring these places!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Man, a lot of interesting things were revealed. Our new buddy Dexter is probably the most surprising, as we haven't really had a companion character (or hell, a talking Pokémon) in previous games.

I wonder why a Gen IV Pokémon is getting highlighted with a super special and spiffy new forme. Hm...

Wait, this changes a few things.

Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam sound tailored to Solgaleo and Lunala. Judging by the English names, they appear certain to remain signature moves forever, at least until a new sunsteel Pokémon or another moongeist shows up. With those names, no other Pokémon than Solgaleo and Lunala could ever use them.

Meteor Drive and Shadow Ray are very generic names by comparison. It sounds like the sort of moves that stay exclusive for a generation or two, then is handed out to everything from Clefable to Sableye. That would be pretty awkward in English. "Wait, what has Giratina to do with moongeists?" "Starmie doesn't sound very sunsteel-y to me. Am I missing something?"

I would say the translators are painting themselves into corners here, but then again the signature moves of legendaries have stayed signature moves since at least Gen III. So they could just have made the reasonable assumption that "Shadow Ray" and "Meteor Drive" will join the ranks of Mist Ball, Heart Swap and others; moves that sound very generic but remain exclusive to the Pokémon they were designed for, more than a decade after the fact.
There have been so many bizarre movepool choices that it honestly doesn't matter in the long run.

Wow, I'm a bit late to the party, but I have to say I don't know what some people are complaining about. Yeah, the two lendaries types surprised me (well, mostly solgaleo) but they could be much worse. And let's be real, with 722+ Pokemon, not every single Pokemon needs to/can afford to have a unique typing. That being said, I really hope rotomdex is usable in battle at some point, though I highly doubt it will be.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And now that I read every post, time for m opinion! This news updates brought us plenty of twist and turns, some I like, some I'm okay with, and other's, well, let's get to it.

I have work in a few hours so right now I'm just covering the news about the Pokemon and character on the site. I'll look at the all the trailers, Rotom Pokedex, and map later.

Only new info on the cover Legendaries who's name are indeed Solgaleo and Lunala as predicted (though Lunala has one less "a" but whatever).

Category: SunNE and MoonE? According to Wikipedia they're obsolete spellings of "sun" and "moon", respectively and obviously. I wonder if they just did that to make them unique or if the fact their classification are olde term means anything? Like could they have been sealed away in ancient times and something is now going to free them? (Though I just checked the Japanese version and it's just "Sun" and "Moon", though its spelt differently in Japanese than the other Pokemon who are called "Sun" and "Moon" Pokemon).
Height Nothing major, but apparently Solgaleo is taller than Zekrom, Kyurem (normal and Black), Xerneas, Arceus, and Reshiram. Hmm, while I can understand it'll be big, that big (unless their measuring its length)? Height (and Weight) seriously needs to be redone...
Type: Solgaleo surprised everyone not being part Fire-type. However I KIND of get it. It's "the beast that devours the sun" so in way it makes sense for it to be a type weak to Fire in order to do something that terrible. Not much to say on Lunala's type, I can perfectly see it. Also interesting their both Psychic-types, linking them in a way but how? Mysticism (their descriptions are very much like some mythological stories)? They both have some sort of cosmic thing going on and space has usually been linked to the Psychic-type (Deoxys, Elgyem family, Cosmic Power, Anistar Gym, etc.).
Abilities: I'm quite dissapointed here. You have the concept of the Sun and Moon to make Abilities off of... and you give us a Clear Body and Multiscale clone? Like I'm sure they can make use of them and it's not like they haven't done this before for Legendaries (looking at you "Mold Breaker" Zekrom and Reshiram). Still, at least Solgaleo's Ability could help subvert its Fire-type weakness. Watch, I'll make up two Abilities on the spot which goes with their description: Solgaleo could have "Sun Devourer" and nullifies moves associated with the sun (Fire-type moves, Solar Beam, Morning Sun, etc.) and Lunala could have "Moon Caller" which strengthen moves associated with the moon (Moonblast, Moonlight, it's Signature move). Well, I guess at least Lunala might be able to take a Dark- or Ghost-type move at full HP.
Description: Solgaleo is considered the "emissary of the sun" yet also "the beast that devours the sun"? Those seem to contradict. Anyway they fit as "sun" and "moon" Pokemon with Solgaleo storing energy while Lunala absorbs light.
Signature Move: So their attacks have Mold Breaker as their effect (which I guess is why their Abilities aren't Mold Breaker clones), alright. They sound neat, Sunsteel Strike sounds like a Steel-type move while Moongeist Beam sounds like a Ghost-type, fitting for their unique type. Wonder if they'll get a second Psychic signature or will have to do with existing Psychic moves (which isn't bad, can't go wrong with the move Psychic, if Solgaleo is physical-oriented I could see it getting Psycho Cut).

As I said I'll look at the map later, though unsurprisingly we were right that the region based on Hawaii would be an island chain. Was expectiing more than 4 though (I see a "secret" fifth one, but the story probably takes place on the main four).

Player: So I was right, the Japanese trailer pretty much tells the beginning of Sun & Moon, you just moved to Alola. Anyway they look alright, due to being a very tropical region I guess you can say they're (hopefully default) dressed differently from previous playable characters, but that's not a bad thing. I would say the girl is surspringly the simply dressed one (and the hat is growing me, it doesn't look that bad in this art). And oh, what do I see on their wrists? The crystals in the Japanese logo in a device similar to ones the Mega Stones are placed in? Hmm, maybe we just overblew them and they're just this game's version of Key Stones. Well we'll just have to wait and see.
Professor Kukui: So he is the Professor. So since leaving the PokeJapan regions we've went from elderly/middeage men to young (attractive) professors. Anyway his specialty is Pokemon Moves so maybe we'll be getting an influx of new/unique moves? Maybe finally filling in some gaps some types have.
Lillie: You know, why not keep it a suprise if this mysterious character will play a bigger part in the story? Why tell us she will? Now you either spoiled us to a surprise twist or it turns out she plays a small part thus making you a liar. *sigh* Hmm, she's working for Kakui for personal reasons (GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THAT GUTTER) and she doesn't like Pokemon fighting (dear, you're two gens late, Team Plasma was Gen V). Actually I joke but I'm going to predict she's part of the villain team in someway.
Hau: For those wondering what a malasada are (and I'm going to guess they'll turn out to be the "Full Restore" food of Alola). I'll give GF this, they at least didn't make him fat despite one of his defining traits if liking a certain food. Seems like the typical rival so far, though I'm curious if he was suppose to be made out as the opposite of Lillie or if I'm just trying to connect things that aren't there.

Sorry, this is really all I have time to say right now. When I come back from work I should be able to get to the rest of my thoughts.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Solgaleo having base 137 HP is worrying (this goes off of the GF model where they have the showcase mone have 31 IVs + no EVS and the target mon having no EVs and no IVs). That is a large chunk of its supposed 680 stat total and is slightly worrying as a result. If its sig move is 120 BP, it would need at least base 145 Atk (it's likely 150)to have a shot of OHKOing a 0IV/0IV Salamence like that. Pls no Hyper Beam / Sky Attack clone. Where is the Shadow Shield being a Multiscale clone info come from by the way? It would be really cool to have a Multiscale offensive mon, I just don't know where the info came from.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
100 pixel HP bars hype! Game Freak has clearly been reading Policy Review threads!

Note: In the image the bar looks to be 99 pixels, but I assume there's a pixel missing since the Exp Bar underneath is only 92 pixels wide (it was 93 wide in Gen 6). Probably got lost somewhere after cropping 1920x1080 to 1800x1080 and resizing to 400x240 (the 3DS top screen resolution). Unless it's actually 99 pixels in which case... what were they thinking?

Frame by frame for reference. The current HP seems to change somewhat faster than the actual HP bar can animate.

I can't really say much about its reveal. Lunala is ok, but what sold me is the RotomDex. It would be awesome if it could be used for battle, but whatever.

I can see it being somewhat like Stuffwell in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, in that it's an animated generic item.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...up-to-date-news.3549746/page-123#post-6835726 First part of this is here.

Island Three. This Island is pretty interesting. We have a single Pokemon Center here attached to what looks like a small dock. After that, it looks like wild island.

The above two features are the main interesting things to me. The obelisk and the flat area infront of it leans towards the areas we were briefly shown in the previous trailer. I think this is where you will be encountering Solgaleo or Lunala depending on version. It looks like you might have to fight through the canyon and cross that rather dangerous looking rope bridge to get there.

The tree however IS interesting. I wonder if there will a Shaman like tribe out here which lives in harmony with the legendarys and the nature out on this island. I think this area will be in the traditional "post gym 7 bit of story" segment of the game. It definitely looks like it might be somewhere only certain Pokemon might be, possibly even a cameo from Unown?

The other side of the island has some volcanic Geysers, which I hope is incorporated into a puzzle somehow, or timed so they block certain areas until they stop. Either that or they go off at certain times like "Old Faithful".

Island Four. Wow. This place is HUGE. Big Island of the Hawaiian chain is also home to one of the largest mountains in the world. Mauna Kea is taller than Mount Everest from its "true" base to its tip, at over 10,000m tall. I love that they have made this the "Icy" area of the game. There seems to be a two part elevator to get to the top of here, with another Pokemon center at the top... This Island has 5 more Pokemon Centers.

This is the area that really intrigues me though. The sealed off, castle like area at the top of this image is extremely out of place in a Pokemon game. Not even Shobobabababanau Castle in Camphrier Town feels as "closed off" as this place must be. Its incredibly foreboding and dark... And the rain leading up to that place gives it even more of a creepy feel. The south area has a "random" Center and then a caravan for some reason. It's an interesting thing to place on the map.

There is also another one of those round circular areas here too. I really do wonder if there is something special about these as they do seem to frequent the maps somewhat. There is another one deep in the south of the Island into the sea. There is also another odd place down at the southern end of this map, I think this is a Gym too. The east of the island looks like a small surfing area, but I am not sure what the flat grey square might be. There does seem to be empty "plots" on three of the islands, which may imply the player being able to get their own home? Yeah, that's hugely out there! There is another plot in the north east corner in the small town that is on this map. I assume this area is another gym, with a proper Pagoda style temple/building that reminds me a bit of the Ecruteak Towers.

There seems to be a somewhat "Blank" area to the immediate east of the big mountian... Not sure what this area might be, but it IS interesting that is seems to be void of anything, which is very unlike the other areas of the maps. This area leads towards what looks like a Geothermal Energy Plant. Likely the home of several Electric Type Pokemon.

There are docks on every island, which very much implies there will be boats to use to get around (thank god). Hopefully the surfing areas will be limited to just the areas we can see. I don't fancy trying to navigate these oceans!

Category: SunNE and MoonE? According to Wikipedia they're obsolete spellings of "sun" and "moon", respectively and obviously. I wonder if they just did that to make them unique or if the fact their classification are olde term means anything? Like could they have been sealed away in ancient times and something is now going to free them? (Though I just checked the Japanese version and it's just "Sun" and "Moon", though its spelt differently in Japanese than the other Pokemon who are called "Sun" and "Moon" Pokemon).
Well in German the classifications are "Sonnenkreis" and "Mondscheibe" which translates to "Sun Circle" and "Moon Disc".

Will just leave this here for you. :)

Granted shots in the dark, I'll guess

A. It's nothing but an aesthetic
B. Different types have different patterns
C. The more friendship/ unity with Pokemon the closer the poke balls become. Maxed friendship overlaps.
what do you mean different kinds of pokeballs? what are you talking

what do you mean different kinds of pokeballs? what are you talking
Let's speculate on what the different positions of pokeballs mean.
There's an image that's attached to Pyritie's post that contains screenshots of the pokédex pages for the starters, and there's an image of each of the starters on each respective top screen, along with two pokéballs that are positioned differently for each starter. This indicates that stylistically, families are going to be placed together on the pages, not unlike the dex from FR/LG. It also seems to give hints toward the sizes of the starters' evolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)