Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced that Hyper Training will actually overwrite the IVs. Just imagine what could be done once you took the time to fully Hyper Train a Ditto, then give it a Destiny Knot, if the IVs actually were overwritten. It would probably take a long time to do that for a Ditto of each nature, but I think my point stands.

My personal suspicion is that Hyper Training involves an addend to the IVs, rather than changing the original variable. Even if the internal addend isn't limited by the IV it attaches to, the sum can't go past the IV31 limit. So if you fully Hyper Train a 4/30/12/28/31/16 critter, the coding for Hidden Power (if it's still coupled to IVs, come to think of it) and breeding will still see a 4/30/12/28/31/16 critter. It's only for in-battle calculations that a 31/31/31/31/31/31 is seen.

(So no, it's not actually eugenics. Not if my addend hypothesis is correct.)
I'll just leave this here.

Oh... and this.

If you don't already own a legit 6IV Ditto, you only have yourself to blame.

Last edited:
According to Serebii Magearna's holding a Silver Bottle Cap, doesn't that sort of imply there should be Bronze and Gold Bottle Caps as well? It makes me wonder how their effects would differ from one another if that were to be the case...
That's a good point, has there really been a case where the ability and item cooperate in the way that would?
Sturdy and Air Balloon, for example, can both be activated in a single turn. So yes, abilities and items can both be triggered/broken in the same turn. Can't see why Mimikyu's ability would be an exception.

Hey guys, what did I miss?
http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/max-out-your-pokemon-with-hyper-training/

Oh.

Oh!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally Gamefreak acknowledges that IV's are bogus. Probably won't be easy or simple (I'm with several people in that it will be about Ability Capsule level rarity... maybe), but it's the principle of the thing.

As for the new pokemon, a lot of good ones again. Mudsdale is the most interesting to me, but I've always wanted a true horse pokemon (Ponyta is a pony that evolves into a unicorn) and it's new ability is interesting but not gamebreaking. Cool!

Not much to say about the other new pokemon though (not counting bewear and mimikyu). They look nice enough.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How does Regice die to Sheer Cold?

Welcome to the Pokémon world. Things don't have to make sense here...
I've always hypothesized that it happens one of two ways.

1: Regice gets trapped in a block of Ice. Sure its probably... okish with that, but its a thick block of Ice so its trapped.

2: Since the game says Regice faints, maybe Lapras or Articuno just creates a huge ass block of ice and smashes Regice's head with it. It'd be like throwing a guy at an other's head: they may be made of the same stuff, but one of those dudes is gonna get their skull cracked open!

On a more serious note, since Mimikyu's ability seems so good, I'm not sure it needs AMAZING stats to be viable. I think movepool might actually be more important to it in some ways. Think of it like the Klefki scenario: Klefki's stats sorta suck, but its ability saves it. I'm not sure Disguise can compare to the likes of Prankster, but I have a feeling it'd be good enough where Mimikyu's stats don't need to blow us away, they just need to be usable.

Hyper training will probably be one of the best things to happen to the game. Depending on how hyper training will work, it may be easier for players to just stick to breeding for most pokemon. The real benefit is offering an alternative to hours of SRing. At least breeding involved a good amount of strategy and planning. Even if some breeding projects took time, it felt like it was time well-spent since you could work towards a specific goal and had a lot of tools to minimize the dice-rolling aspect of breeding. With SRing, there's very little you can do to minimize the luck-based aspect of it. Hyper training will make IV training legendaries and wi-fi event pokemon feel like time well spent since you'll actually feel like you're getting somewhere instead of completely frustrated at your luck.

Last edited:
Yeah I love this new hyper training but as someone already said a few pages back the only thing that gets me down is the fact I legitametly bred several shinies with the right natures and abilities but imperfect iv's...and promptly traded them away thinking they would never be useful competitively. My shiny froakie, buneary and tyrunt (this one pains me the most) all gone...sigh.
At least I still have my shiny bagon I bred now a salamence with perfect iv's except 27 in spdef. He hasn't needed to be perfect though, he still kicks butt:)

I gave away loads of shiny pickup while breeding for the hp ice Naive 30 31 30 31 31 31 lighting rod Pikachu of my dreams, I actually regret nothing.

Gave away several shinies through wondertrade, so I bet Someone got happy, including ha dratini male Jolly 4ivs, timid ha female gardevoir and Delphox, modest Kingdra, Salamence, alakazam(modest was preferred in early xy) and zard, adamant gyarados, snorlax, Pinsir, aerodactyl, Mawile, Goodra, a freaking HA shinny sassy ferrothorn with 4ivs 2 speed...and 21 freaking shiny pichus I got trying to breed for my jackpot Pikachu.

All where 3-5 ivs with the wrong attack one

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
For those who think the bottle caps will be rare, friendly reminder that Powersaves still exists. I give the games a week after release before we get codes for cloning/item duplication; bottle caps are gonna be mass-produced by players who are "too ethical" to edit their Pokemon directly.

For those who think the bottle caps will be rare, friendly reminder that Powersaves still exists. I give the games a week after release before we get codes for cloning/item duplication; bottle caps are gonna be mass-produced by players who are "too ethical" to edit their Pokemon directly.
The moment an exploit is found I will get 999 of each hoarded. NOT TAKING ANY CHANCE FOR STEALTH FIXES.

For those who think they can circumvent bottle caps being rare with Powersaves; friendly reminder that while that's true, why wouldn't you just use the powersaves to directly edit your Pokémon's IVs at that point?

I have a feeling that bottle caps will be rare, but this won't be something like the Ability Capsule or something. They'll likely be farmable, though at a much slower rate than Berries. Something like how you could get 7 PP Ups a week in Generation V by punching this one rock in Pinwheel Forest (outer) once a day for a Star Piece, then going to Anville City on the weekend and trading Star Pieces with this one guy for PP Ups.
That seems like a likely scenario. Not so fast as to make it something you can do all the time, but not so slow you have to worry about it.
I also could see them being a Poké Miles item.

Also, wasn't sure where to post this, but since it's to do with the Global Link being refurbished for Sun/Moon...

As part of a Thank You campaign, from July 26th everything on the PokéMileage Club will be 50% and Ability Capsules will be re-added for 5,000 PokéMiles a piece.

For those who think they can circumvent bottle caps being rare with Powersaves; friendly reminder that while that's true, why wouldn't you just use the powersaves to directly edit your Pokémon's IVs at that point?
Because then, according to VGC rules your mon is still 100% legal. As long as the pokemon in your battle box have not been altered themselves, they're legal.

Also, wasn't sure where to post this, but since it's to do with the Global Link being refurbished for Sun/Moon...

As part of a Thank You campaign, from July 26th everything on the PokéMileage Club will be 50% and Ability Capsules will be re-added for 5,000 PokéMiles a piece.
Eh, didn't the Pokemiles equivalent in GenV carry over to Pokemiles in GenVI? I have like 80000 of them and I never use them as I never feel like needing it. Ability Capsule is too late anyways, unless they allow Alola-bred mons to be transferred back to XYORAS (obviously not) and I also have like 6000 BP.

Because then, according to VGC rules your mon is still 100% legal. As long as the pokemon in your battle box have not been altered themselves, they're legal.
There's nothing to show the Pokémon has been altered though. There's nothing different about them to a Pokémon exactly like them that was made legally.
Unless it's an Aegislash in a Dream Ball.

Eh, didn't the Pokemiles equivalent in GenV carry over to Pokemiles in GenVI? I have like 80000 of them and I never use them as I never feel like needing it. Ability Capsule is too late anyways, unless they allow Alola-bred mons to be transferred back to XYORAS (obviously not) and I also have like 6000 BP.
I was able to transfer Pokemiles from games within gen VI, so I hope my miles still count for something, since I don't want to see my millions of miles going away for naught.

There's nothing to show the Pokémon has been altered though. There's nothing different about them to a Pokémon exactly like them that was made legally.
As far as we know now...who's to say that will be the case with + pokemon? Also some people care enough to follow the rules to the letter and by technicality, even though it's the same thing basically, it wouldn't be viewed that way

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
What makes you so sure? The games aren't out yet; for all we know, using hyper training may flag something in the Pokemon's data file that could be seen in hack checks if IVs were altered without it (especially Pokemon that come from Gen III and IV, since Nature/IV combinations were much more limited back then), kinda like how the Super Training medals are recorded in a Pokemon's data file in Gen VI. Editing the Pokemon themselves will also get you blacklisted if you trade them in the forum's WiFi sub-forum, while using items that are legally obtainable in-game (even if they're mass-cloned), is considered fine there.

If anything, from what we know of the system, it'll probably be easier to just duplicate the bottle caps anyway. You'd only have to use the code a few times to refill back to x999, while for editing a Pokemon directly, you'll have to use the codes or editing software for each individual Pokemon.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Mudsdale is decent as we could use a fast but frail ground-type to buck the status quo. If high horsepower is any good maybe Rapidash (fingers crossed for Fire / Fairy mega) could get some use out of a strong ground move.

More importantly, I'm really hoping some of these abilities get distributed to older Pokemon. It would be a shame to waste such potential on what will likely end up being mediocre mons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)