Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pokemon games have become too competitive and IVs have overtaken original stats. The game was originally invented for children! How will they work out what this all means?!

The pokemon games have become too competitive and IVs have overtaken original stats. The game was originally invented for children! How will they work out what this all means?!
Assuming this is a joke but it does sorta raise the issue of Casual / Competitive divide that exists between players. The new IV Training will hopefully help close the gap somewhat unless it turns out to be really bad. Hopefully S/M has other cool features in store to help cross the divide.

Assuming this is a joke but it does sorta raise the issue of Casual / Competitive divide that exists between players. The new IV Training will hopefully help close the gap somewhat unless it turns out to be really bad. Hopefully S/M has other cool features in store to help cross the divide.
Will the new Hyper Training be similar to super training where all you have to so is play mini games and tap the bottom screen and the stats are raised? That was relatively simple.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Mr. Hyper: Hey kid! Did you know even if your Pokemon is at level 100 they still may have the potential to become stronger? Show me one of your Pokemon.
*You pick one of your Level 100 Pokemon*
Mr. Hyper: Yes, I see, there's still potential in (lists stats that aren't at 31 IVs). Lucky for you I have found a way to awaken this potential. But I don't want money, you see I'm an avid bottle cap collector. I came to Alola as I heard it has a lot of unique and even rare bottle caps found nowhere else in the world. You get me those bottle caps and I'll (show you how to) raise your Pokemon's potential even further!

There, you just tell kids their Pokemon can still become stronger and tell them what they need to do. They don't need to know the intricacies of IVs.

And I doubt anyone's gonna force you to use hyper training. Super training, while convenient, wasn't integral to the game, and sure enough, I never used it. I probably will now, seeing as I've gotten interested in competitive battling, but that's besides the point. Basically, if you don't want to do it, I'm sure you don't have to. I doubt hyper training is gonna be a necessary feature, so kids and casual players alike can look right past it if they aren't interested.

And I doubt anyone's gonna force you to use hyper training. Super training, while convenient, wasn't integral to the game, and sure enough, I never used it. I probably will now, seeing as I've gotten interested in competitive battling, but that's besides the point. Basically, if you don't want to do it, I'm sure you don't have to. I doubt hyper training is gonna be a necessary feature, so kids and casual players alike can look right past it if they aren't interested.
Nah, if horde battles are still a thing you won't ever feel the need to use Super Training as it is far less practical and efficient. Unless you're going for some super complex EV spreads, but that's usually not the case.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
It is better than wasting time by breeding. In my opinion competitive Pokemon is about becoming good in a certain Metagame. But if you put so much time into breeding or softresetting then you will never get good. Since you would not find enough time for battling. That is what I say about that and also I do not feel guilty in anyway cause I use used hacked Pokemon for breeding. Get a life don't breed.
If you're gonna be slinging out personal attacks, at least don't contradict yourself while doing so.

Legal hacks for battles and deliberately trading hacks to people that are likely going to use them in official competitions are two entirely different issues; the latter is what got you blacklisted from Wi-Fi.

Honestly, this is one reason why I'm glad to see Hyper Training; it'll finally help put this whole hacks vs legit debate to rest for good. Max IVs for every Pokemon is plausible, and if you're really worried about getting hacks in trades, then you can just breed/catch your own Pokemon now, and use HT for good IVs instead of taking the risk via trading.

Will the new Hyper Training be similar to super training where all you have to so is play mini games and tap the bottom screen and the stats are raised? That was relatively simple.
I'd rather simplicity over endless hours lost. A mini game would be a nice touch but overall as long as it isn't like +1 IV per Bottle Cap or something this feature will be one I use no matter how simple it is.

Just to add on you can probably spend hours of your life breeding virtual mons on a 3DS game should you so prefer.

Most likely this or more Pokemon due to the sheer amount we've seen. I'm hoping for some Megas / Gym Leaders though so people can stop going on about scrapping them.
I would say there is a likely chance they won't talk about gym leaders then. However, Corocoro did state that they'll be talking about one of the Islands of Alola, so I would bet money we will hear about them in that. I do want to hear about Mega evolutions though, but they have been using these announcements more for new Pokemon. We shall see.

Obviously we're following the Yu-Gi-Oh model and will be playing Gen 7 while riding motorcycles.

In all seriousness: it isn't uncommon for competitive people to take over something meant for kids/casual people, like Smash (especially Smash.)

Plus the IVs are done in a way to where the casual player can enjoy the game without caring about what they are while the competitive player can care about them. I doubt Hyper Training will change that, since it is an option at level 100 and can be done without actually explaining how it works on the technical side. Heck, Pikachu315111 provided a great example of how the dialogue could go without bogging things down with an explanation.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay we've had a bunch of shit talked about the new IV system.

And Eugenics. And all sorts of other bullshit.

And now I'm locking the thread again because you guys can't let anything go. It'll be opened at the end of July before the news on August 1st.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
We agreed to open this on July 30 (at least, that was the impression I got from DHR-107 last time we spoke), but it seems like it's now July 31 and the thread is still locked. Since morning is dawning in Japan already, any information leaking a day early could potentially hit the Internet while we were too sleeping to open the thread, so we might as well remove the padlock now. Be civilized to each other, don't break any rules, and check all your sources (and other Pokémon forums) twice before posting information that can't be verified as official.

I think you mean "too busy sleeping" instead of "too sleeping"?

My inner Grammar Nazi aside, I think we should all take a moment to appreciate how beautiful the visuals look. Yeah sure they aren't on the levels of Super Smash Bros on Wii U (Hyper-realistic substitute doll, anyone?), but they're definitely a step-up from X and Y. The shading is wonderfully done and I can definitely praise how the franchise has broken free from its grid-based movement and chibi overworld sprites.

we just need talksprites and then it's perfect

Am I the only one who is worried that these upgraded visuals will cause serious framerate drops on older models of the 3DS?
Upgraded visuals are nice but if those games run at ~9fps on my old 3DS XL, I'd be pissed. XY and ORAS already had heavy lag on occasion. Mega evolving during a horde battle easily turns the game into a slide show for example...

Am I the only one who is worried that these upgraded visuals will cause serious framerate drops on older models of the 3DS?
Upgraded visuals are nice but if those games run at ~9fps on my old 3DS XL, I'd be pissed. XY and ORAS already had heavy lag on occasion. Mega evolving during a horde battle easily turns the game into a slide show for example...
It's possible, but even games like Super Smash Bros. on Nintendo 3DS and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D work fine. I don't see improvements to the point of immense lags throughout the game (mostly in Horde and Triples, which have a tradition in causing lag since the latter's introduction in Black and White).
I'm curious if they're going to have Marts inside Pokemon Centers again. It was really convenient, and having them separate again for ORAS turned me off a bit.
We had them for a Generation-and-a-half and we are getting trainer customization after only having it in one set of games. Both seemed to have only went away to maintain the nostalgia of Hoenn.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
But isn't that only when you have 3D on? If battles ran okay when the 3D is off I would say there's nothing to worry about. If you want the 3D on, well, maybe since now the game is in the "high" 3D models they've worked on the optimization so calculating the graphics in 3D is less taxing.

I'm curious if they're going to have Marts inside Pokemon Centers again. It was really convenient, and having them separate again for ORAS turned me off a bit.
If the map is anything to go by than they are. As Vader_the_White said, they only removed them because stupid nostalgia. Though I do hope if they do they still include a Mall area, they could even have the first floor center be a Pokemon Center and call it the "Pokemon Mall Center".

And once again here's the countdown.
THE FINAL COUNT- NO! Not Final Countdown! That'll be coming in November 18th... and 23rd for Europe, though I strongly suggest European vendors to just release it on the 18th with the rest of the world.

If the map is anything to go by than they are. As Vader_the_White said, they only removed them because stupid nostalgia. Though I do hope if they do they still include a Mall area, they could even have the first floor center be a Pokemon Center and call it the "Pokemon Mall Center".

And once again here's the countdown.
THE FINAL COUNT- NO! Not Final Countdown! That'll be coming in November 18th... and 23rd for Europe, though I strongly suggest European vendors to just release it on the 18th with the rest of the world.
A mall doesn't even need to be part of the Center/Mart (it wasn't in Generation V). Though honestly, I didn't mind in X and Y since all I had to do to get Vitamins (which are useful for certain precision EV spreads) was fly to the Fairy Gym Town (don't feel like looking it up) and going into the center.

But isn't that only when you have 3D on? If battles ran okay when the 3D is off I would say there's nothing to worry about. If you want the 3D on, well, maybe since now the game is in the "high" 3D models they've worked on the optimization so calculating the graphics in 3D is less taxing.
Well, no. Horde Battles are always so slow on the original 3DS and sometimes there are other slowdowns just for having that many turns.

Oh yes, I do hope they increased the speed for Horde Battles if they exist in Gen VII. I don't want to spend a few seconds waiting for the game to determine what moves the opponents are going to use or whether I can escape or not.

Well, no. Horde Battles are always so slow on the original 3DS and sometimes there are other slowdowns just for having that many turns.

Oh yes, I do hope they increased the speed for Horde Battles if they exist in Gen VII. I don't want to spend a few seconds waiting for the game to determine what moves the opponents are going to use or whether I can escape or not.
Honestly, I've never found Horde Battles slow on my 3DS or my XL (I don't have a New 3DS) other than just the time it takes for six Pokémon to do their thing other than the initial time it takes for everything to calculate, and even then, I don't find it that bad and I'm an impatient bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)