Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That being said, one would be eventually tired of seeing the same models and animations considering they have been used in XY, ORAS, Sun/Moon, the 3DS Mystery Dungeon games and Pokemon GO...
i don't have pokemon go on my region but, did they use the same 3d models from gen VI but in HD for pokemon GO??

I'm very confused by the fact they have an entirely new graphics engine yet the models and animations of Gen 1-6 Pokémon are exactly the same. Or is having a new graphics engine unrelated to having the same models and animations as before? I don't really know much about this sort of thing
Models are, when you get down to it, a bunch of triangles that have been put together to form a larger three-dimensional shape. Going to a new engine hasn't changed anything about the old models. They're still just as good for the new engine as they were for the old.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm very confused by the fact they have an entirely new graphics engine yet the models and animations of Gen 1-6 Pokémon are exactly the same. Or is having a new graphics engine unrelated to having the same models and animations as before? I don't really know much about this sort of thing
That being said, one would be eventually tired of seeing the same models and animations considering they have been used in XY, ORAS, Sun/Moon, the 3DS Mystery Dungeon games and Pokemon GO...
We probably won't see new models until Nintendo's next handheld system. And even then the models will probably be the same base but just touched up.

I think the thing with S&M is that it's not the in-battle graphics that got improvements but the overworld graphics which are now on par with the quality of the in-battle graphics.

Please no. Most people don't even have a New 3DS.
EDIT: So it'd seem weird to have the New 3DS specifically in mind imo.
Yeah, I don't think the Pokemon games require that much high quality graphics it needs the New 3DS processing power.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I'm guessing they got some other people in nintendo who actually knew what they were doing to make the graphics engine this time. XY/ORAS just had a hilariously bad engine compared to, say, sm4sh, monhun, or the kirby games.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I assume this is why Ohmori brought up the new graphics engine in reference to trainers appearing on screen. I'm guessing that this would have tanked the framerate in XY and ORAS. Hopefully this means stuff like Triples battles will have a reasonable framerate now lol

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They appear to re-use as much of their old work as possible. Makes sense, really. Between all the formes and all the Pokémon, there are some nine hundred models with textures and animations which were made for X/Y. Easily thousands of man-hours of work. Remaking it all for SuMo would cost a lot of development resources, so it's understandable why they just ported as much as posssible. Even with a new graphics engine, it's not like re-made models would have looked a lot better.

They've done this before, too. If I recall correctly, certain Pokémon models and animations from Pokémon Stadium were used all the way up to Pokémon Battle Revolution. Not sure if they spruced up the textures, but either way, that's almost a decade and a half of using the same ground work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)