Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt Alolan Raichu will be version exclusive just for the fact that Pikachu is pretty much required to be catchable on as many games as possible.
The theory goes though that Pikachu would be obtainable in both, but it evolves into Raichu in one version and into Alolan Raichu in another.

We can discount that Meowth though; You and your mother had just moved to Alola, so of course she'd have a non Alolan Meowth.
Okay, sure. Two things, though.

First, this just supports my point of "a Japanese meowth finding its way to Alola and breeding and co-populating with the local variant". If we as foreigners can import a foreign meowth, why can't anyone else? Furthermore, when the baby of a breeding pair is all but solely dependent on the mother's species, why would it be hard to believe that several female Japanese meowth couldn't mother a co-species of meowth in the region, or even just on an island?

That may be a bit complex for what Game Freak has planned, though. So my second, and perhaps the more important point: Why a Meowth? Of the literal hundreds of pokémon the mother could have as a 'companion', why would Game Freak give her a Meowth? Why does it even have to be a foreign import? Why couldn't Mom have caught it after we moved there? Both your and my arguments are speculation, we simply don't have enough facts at this time, and this was point that I was trying to make; "We've already seen X in-game, so Y can't happen." isn't a conclusive argument, it's an assumptive one. I'm assuming that because Mom appears to have a Meowth-K, that Meowth-K co-exist with Meowth-A. This is not a conclusive statement, but that does not make the opposite true, either. For all we know, that model could have been a place-holder because they didn't want the Alolan forms to be shown at E3.

I'm sorry you find the argument "stale". I still think it's highly unlikely that Pikachu, Exeggcute, and Cubone will have Alola forms.
The argument of "We've already seen X in-game, so Y can't happen" is getting quite old at this point...

...It's just that, this argument has become stale, and it has yet to be conclusively proven or disproven.
The argument that I was saying was stale should be clear by now, if it wasn't before. The fact that this argument is built on the same basis that the No-Mega crowd has built their arguments on should show just how stale it's become. All I'm asking is to come up with something new.

I'm personally of the opinion that Exeggcute will not get an Alolan form. Everything about Exeggutor-A fits within the lore of what an Exeggutor could be, even in the lore that existed before this point, so there's no real reason to change Exeggcute accordingly. In fact, I'd say that the fact that if Exeggutor-A is what an Exeggutor is supposed to be when it can grow in its natural environment, and can therefore grow to meet its full potential, is a rather interesting piece of information. This alone almost directly points to a biological or evolutionary connection between the Dragon and Psychic types that goes beyond the type chart.

That said, I can't see why, evolutionarily speaking, Cubone and Persian would not, in fact, change as well; if Marowak, as an organism and as a species, changed to adapt to it's environment, how could it do so without changing from birth and across generations? Remember, Marowak is the adult, and Cubone is the baby, and that's the way it will always be. To say that Cubone, or even Pichu, Pikachu, or Exeggcute, will not have Alolan forms, and to state it as an absolute fact runs counter to just about everything that we can expect from any news cycle like the one that we're in now. It's like saying that Rowlett, Litten, and Popplio won't evolve to be Grass, Fire, and Water types respectively, because guess what, we haven't seen their evolved forms yet, despite generally knowing what we can expect from them, even if we don't know what that is yet.

The theory goes though that Pikachu would be obtainable in both, but it evolves into Raichu in one version and into Alolan Raichu in another.
I could see that but seems a little skewed for a version exclusive. A shiny new version of a pokemon vs the old and tired 20yr version of it sounds like a bad trade-off to me. I mean sure, I think XY gave you stuff like a tyranitarite on one version and aggronite on the other and the two pokes were one gen off each other, but it wasn't terribly off in novelty.

Edit: Also we can just import classic Raichu into whichever game can't we?

That said, I can't see why, evolutionarily speaking, Cubone and Persian would not, in fact, change as well; if Marowak, as an organism and as a species, changed to adapt to it's environment, how could it do so without changing from birth and across generations? Remember, Marowak is the adult, and Cubone is the baby, and that's the way it will always be. To say that Cubone, or even Pichu, Pikachu, or Exeggcute, will not have Alolan forms, and to state it as an absolute fact runs counter to just about everything that we can expect from any news cycle like the one that we're in now. It's like saying that Rowlett, Litten, and Popplio won't evolve to be Grass, Fire, and Water types respectively, because guess what, we haven't seen their evolved forms yet, despite generally knowing what we can expect from them, even if we don't know what that is yet.
Whoa. I believe you're over-thinking this. Like, a lot.

Personally, I don't think they're going to get rid of Mega Evolution. Maybe they'll only be available post-game, maybe not. I even think it's likely there will be some new Mega Evos. I also think it's likely there will be Alolan Persian, but I'm still worried there won't be. I would like for Alolan Persian to be a thing.

There will not be Alolan Cubone, Pichu, Pikachu, or Exeggcute. That's a completely reasonable conclusion to draw (and not even remotely like saying that the starters won't evolve into Grass, Fire, and Water types). The Japanese trailers show Exeggutor-A, Raichu-A, and Marowak-A evolving from their non-Alolan pre-evos. "But wait!" you might shout, "They don't actually show the full evolution; they mysteriously cut away!" They're cutting away for time, dude. Have you watched a full evolution sequence lately? I watched two tonight (on Pokémon X) and they are loooong. Trust me, the only reason they're even showing any part of that sequence is to say, "Hey, these Alola Forms evolve from the normal forms of their pre-evos."

So why do Sandshrew, Vulpix, and Meowth have Alolan forms when Exeggcute, Cubone, and Pikachu don't? I'm going to hazard a guess that it's about movepool control. If regular Vulpix evolved into Alolan Ninetales, it would have access to powerful Fire moves as well as the powerful Ice and Fairy moves it will likely learn. GameFreak may want to avoid that for flavor reasons alone. Likewise it allows Vulpix and Vulpix-A to have an entirely different set of Egg moves. On the flip side, GameFreak decided it was A-OK for Marowak-A to have Cubone's full complement of moves.

Consider: Poison Chansey.

Mostly same stats, maybe boosted special attack, few new moves...Ability is Innards Out.
Now consider: Chansey's new move is explosion, and if Innards Out activates on a move like explosion...
Choice Scarf Chansey new meta.
But in all seriousness, I think I'm warming up to the idea of Alolan forms, and they'd be perfect if we have some way to toggle them in game. Something along the lines of the ability capsule would be a good line of convenience and balance, I think. If the only way to get old forms is to transfer, that'd be unfortunate for sure, but workable. Now, my biggest question is how this is going to change the GTS. Will Alolan forms and regular forms occupy different slots? There's gotta be a way to tell, so at least you don't get somewhat scammed by getting the wrong form. It was all well and good with Shellos, and...how does Burmy work anyway? I never thought about it because, well, who uses Burmy? I also really hope forms aren't version exclusive, because I want pokemon Moon, and if the speculation earlier is correct, then Alolan Marowak would be a Sun exclusive, and I really wanna use one on my team...But there's no point speculating. Honestly it could very well have its Alolan Form in the Sun background because it stands out better than the Moon background, as it shares somewhat similar color schemes to the moon background. Anyway, food for thought!

... What? No. It means you cant get non-Alola forms without transfering them.
Then don't just say RBY.
Also, I swear that they said that only SOME would require transfer.

I highly doubt Alolan Raichu will be version exclusive just for the fact that Pikachu is pretty much required to be catchable on as many games as possible.
Considering that there was a whole Generation without a wild Pikachu (Generation V), don't be too sure.

Well you don't eat pancakes at nighttime, do you?
You've never met my family, have you?

Considering that there was a whole Generation without a wild Pikachu (Generation V), don't be too sure.
Which is why I said "catchable on as many games as possible". If we're gonna exclude the mascot from one version, might as well not include him at all. They probably don't want their sales to heavily skew over to one version. I would think they'd want their mascot to be available pretty evenly.

Also I've eaten tons of pancakes past midnight and probably don't make sense to a lot...

Since I started the conspiracy thread it's just in my nature to see weird theories everywhere...

but am I the only one seeing an uncanny resemblance here?!
Theory time.

After the shenanigans that went down in Alola, Guzma decided to move to the US, but he is a wanted criminal there, so he Americanized himself to blend perfectly right in. He would then make a phone app to get him rich quick.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Am I the only one who thinks Game Freak will just bullshit it and give you a key item in-game called the alola stone or something that can switch your Pokémon between Alolan and normal? Because it seems very much like something Game Freak would do.
Maybe not switch an active Pokemon, but maybe hatch an Egg into an Alolan version in future games (like a Tropic Incense, and basic Pokemon who don't change appearance would still have the Alolan flag active on them. Also I imagine any basic Pokemon transferred from Sun & Moon who evolve into an Alolan Pokemon will still evolve into the Alolan Pokemon).

Also on Pikachu being Psychic, JWittz released his thoughts and pointed out that one of the first TCG theme decks was "Zap!", a Electric & Psychic themed deck featuring Pikachu and Mewtwo on the cover. Could it be possible this was maybe an inspiration for the Psychic-type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)