Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna argue, before I remembered that Salandit was Fire/Poison.

And then I was gonna argue again, but...
Ghost/Fairy Mimikyu :I

Consider them Dark-adjacent, or "Dark enough to be on Elite Four Karen's team."
Just like Vileplume.
Why does Karen have a Vileplume? aside from good taste

It's not a corocoro scan, it's a store display stand.

But it is fake, because these stands have displayed fan art before and the lugia artwork itself is old.. The crop even leaves out another fakemon just above the Lugia.
Oooh right, okay. Makes more sense then.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hello and welcome!

That theory has been mentioned before, and it is a nice catch, but I'm not entirely sold on it. So far, there is correlation only on one pair of birds/islands, and the rest are unknowns. As far as I know, we haven't been told which Oricorio inhabit which island either.

It also crashes slightly with another theory, that the various Guardian Pokémon have abilities that set the various Terrain moves, which would imply at least a Grass Guardian and one pure Fairy.
I still say they don't have to be shackled by existing Terrian moves. They can make more. To go with the Oricorio theory and the Terrain theory they'd need to make new Terrain moves for Fire, Ghost, and Psychic-types. Here's some name idea: Volcanic Terrain, Orchid Terrain, & Illusion Terrain.

"It has been confirmed that Shigeki Morimoto is going to show some live Pokémon Sun & Moon gameplay footage at Gamescom in Cologne on Thursday. This footage will be streamed through Nintendo Germany's Twitch channel from 17:00 CEST, which is 16:00 BST, 11:00 EDT and 08:00 PDT."
~Serebii

Remember when we were getting, like, no news? And now we're getting news like every second day lmao calm down gf
And of course, I have work. Maybe I should post up my work schedule so everyone would know when to expect SM news to drop.

And remember the earliest bit of news we got was empty box covers. Oh how we raged, but now we praise.

Not including Alolan Meowth, there aren't any dark types yet. I'm disappointed in Game Freak.
Well maybe they'll finally have a Dark-type Gym... oh wait.

Err, would you be okay with a Dark-type Trial Captain? *It's revealed Guzma was trying to apply for the position of Dark-type Trail Captain* Sigh...

I still say they don't have to be shackled by existing Terrian moves. They can make more. To go with the Oricorio theory and the Terrain theory they'd need to make new Terrain moves for Fire, Ghost, and Psychic-types. Here's some name idea: Volcanic Terrain, Orchid Terrain, & Illusion Terrain.
If you think about it, a Ghost/Fairy type with an auto Misty Terrain makes sense since Mists and Ghosts do pair together pretty well.

True, but it does turn Nature Power into Moonblast, Secret Power uses the animation of Fairy Wind (and may lower its target's Special Attack), and Camouflage causes the user to become Fairy-type.
Point, but the current assumption is that the Guardian Quartet is all Part Fairy-type, and my point is that there is logic in them using Misty Terrain for a hypothetical Ghost/Fairy Guardian vs creating an entirely new move/effect for it.

Assuming, of course, the Guardian Quartet shares a typing with Oricorio formes and not be the typings the island captains are based on. Or have typings to match the three field effects + Bob. Based on the severely limited data we have, all three are possible.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Point, but the current assumption is that the Guardian Quartet is all Part Fairy-type, and my point is that there is logic in them using Misty Terrain for a hypothetical Ghost/Fairy Guardian vs creating an entirely new move/effect for it.

Assuming, of course, the Guardian Quartet shares a typing with Oricorio formes and not be the typings the island captains are based on. Or have typings to match the three field effects + Bob. Based on the severely limited data we have, all three are possible.
Well I'm sort of hoping the island guardians aren't all part Fairy but have different types. But we'll just have to see what they decide to do.

I actually want all of them to be fairies for consistency and for the sake that I love fairies.
I swear they gotta nerf fairy in some way. The stuff they resist compared to their lowest two weaknesses which a lot of Pokemon don't even have the coverage to utilize is just dumb.

I was gonna argue, before I remembered that Salandit was Fire/Poison.

And then I was gonna argue again, but...
Ghost/Fairy Mimikyu :I

Consider them Dark-adjacent, or "Dark enough to be on Elite Four Karen's team."
On the bright side, their might be enough fire types so that Flint doesn't have to use just Infernape in a fire type elite 4.

I swear they gotta nerf fairy in some way. The stuff they resist compared to their lowest two weaknesses which a lot of Pokemon don't even have the coverage to utilize is just dumb.
Now I didn't play competitively in Gen VI, so maybe I'm off-base here, but isn't that the entire point of the Fairy type? I mean the main point was to nerf Dragon-types, but it seems intentional that Poison and Steel are two previously underused attacking types. The Fairy type was supposed to help change that, I assume. Or am I wrong about that?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
By the way, people, do not post leaks from unreliable sources.

What are unreliable sources, you might ask? Basically, everything except Nintendo's official communications channels and Serebii. There are a lot of fake Nintendo/Game Freak social media accounts out there, so check thrice that you're reading the official ones before jumping to this thread.

If you find something you think is legit, but doesn't originate from trusted sources, send a PM to the mods so we can check for you. Our check basically boils down to Googling and seeing what they say about the alleged leak on other forums, so it's technically a job you can do for yourself, but when in doubt, ask anyway. From experience, the vast majority of "leaks" posted in pre-release threads are easily disproven fakes. Don't let your eagerness get in the way of proper source checking.

Now I didn't play competitively in Gen VI, so maybe I'm off-base here, but isn't that the entire point of the Fairy type? I mean the main point was to nerf Dragon-types, but it seems intentional that Poison and Steel are two previously underused attacking types. The Fairy type was supposed to help change that, I assume. Or am I wrong about that?
It was. And it succeeded. And arguments against the Fairy-type of this nature are not only really outdated but are out of place on this chat.

Misty Terrain coming in for one of the guardians and having it's mechanics altered makes sense. It's reasonable to assume they'd all have a terrain-setting ability to go in a set with Tapu Koko, and altering the mechanics of one of them to fit one of the guardians more would be reasonable, not unprecedented and certainly not unwelcome.

Of course, it gives other STABs spotlights, but when you only have two weaknesses and an amazing immunity combine with resists to the most three common typings, it becomes ridiculous. It's great to buff Poison and Steel, but their strong moves are rather uncommon in actuality you can only put one hard stop to mons like Clefable on a team. You can give it a weaoness to less common types like flying and still have it produce well, but it just needs more. The mass production of fairies and focus on the competitive scene gives me hope.

They could also give us a 120 BP version of a steel STAB and make moves like Gunk Shot more accessible, though.

Last edited:
I disagree, the fairy type should stay as is. One of the issues with the old dragon / fighting resists is that they were too easily hit super effectively by coverage moves. What dragon didn't carry a ground/fire move? Or fighting types without a rock move? Fairy type levels the playing field in that they are not so easily dispatched by the types they are supposed to check, while adding incentive to use traditionally defensive types in an offensive way.

If Alola changes the type chart in any way, it should be Ice. I'd like to see it lose its weakness to Rock and gain resistances to Water, ghost, and possibly Fairy.

Sorry if this has been brought up before:

Is there any information regarding the next round of Mega Evolutions, or are those done completely?
No info as of yet.

Any ideas on the topic are speculative at the moment, although it does appear that the Z-bracelet has space for a mega stone.

I don't want to go to much in-depth b/c I'm not sure this is the place but Game Freak has obviously taken into account the competitive aspect of Pokemon in some of the more recent changes they've made. While they've definitely missed the mark at times (looking at you M-Rayquaza), the fairy type is one of those changes that they've gotten right. You can hold the waterworks for the Latis, Keldeo, Garchomp, etc. They don't need your tears or sympathy. I agree that Ice types got a raw deal defensively. It sucks that all the weaknesses make sense from a flavor standpoint. Although a water resistance would be nice.

Anyways, a tidbit that sort of caught my attention after re-reading about the Team Skull Grunts was that they have to buy their own clothing. Perhaps the Skull Team grunt clothing will eventually be available for purchase as a customization. It also says that Team Skull likes to mess up trial sites. I wonder if Solgaleo/Lunala come about after Team Skull messes around with something sacred that they shouldn't. Unintentionally awakening a legendary pokemon while trying to mess with someone's trial is the kind of thing Team Skull would do.

Late meme, I know. But this is how I'm going to face all new information that's been or has yet to be given to us. A 35 foot tall dragon palm tree pokemon with a head for its tail? COOL! Raichu ate too many pancakes and that caused it to develop strong psychic powers, glossy skin and fairy-like eyes? Heck yeah! A new villainous team full of punks? I'm all in!

Seriously, I've given up trying to analyze and make sense out of everything game freak does. I'm in for the lolz now.

Late meme, I know. But this is how I'm going to face all new information that's been or has yet to be given to us. A 35 foot tall dragon palm tree pokemon with a head for its tail? COOL! Raichu ate too many pancakes and that caused it to develop strong psychic powers, glossy skin and fairy-like eyes? Heck yeah! A new villainous team full of punks? I'm all in!

Seriously, I've given up trying to analyze and make sense out of everything game freak does. I'm in for the lolz now.
Kinda see your other points, but how does a "villainous team full of punks" not make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)