Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for reference, Sun/Moon being 3.2GB makes it - more or less - as big as Bravely Default. It also makes it, as far as I know, one of the biggest games on the 3DS; ahead of even MGS Snake Eater 3D and Bravely Second but behind - of course - Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.
Wow, the fact it's as big as Bravely Default in terms of file size probably means there's going to be a lot to do in the game. My faith in the game being better in terms of content volume than both XY and ORAS (probably even combined) is restored.

Clefable would not be a safe switch against half of the metagame if not for the typing, the insane movepool is just a bonus.

With that being said, I've never been more excited for an in-game in my entire life since Platinum. All the stuff that they're putting into the in-game story and customization is insane! I have next to no excitement competitively (at least OU) but in-game, man!

Ice can't resist water, look up at water properties, specially specific heat, that is one, if not the most important property of water to allow an environment where life can flourish.
See if we want to interpret real physics 1:1, sure, Ice couldn't resist lukewarm water . . . unless it was really really cold.

But maybe that's the point its not 1 to 1 with real world physics. Ice Pokemon are particularly frigid and if Water is capable of ALWAYS being super-effective to fire, even infernos where the molecules should sunder apart thus provided more fuel to oxidize, then an incoming water attack could conceivably be chilled so much by the Ice typing that it is resisted.

But this is all flavor text. We just want balance is all, and some types are terrible in the current meta and could use some boosting.

Isn't talking about types - or other attributes - you want to see buffed or nerfed wishlisting? Or did something official concerning that come out?

If you really wanna vent about the meta... I think this is the last place to do it

Sigh...so many posts, no time to read em all!

Well, Dartrix...is Dartrix, and appears to have some sort of cape. Could evolve into Groot.

I can't see Brionne evolving into anything else but that leaked final. Popplio might be not have a gender specific design, but Brionne does, and looks like the young girl with pig tails. The leaked final to me feels like an analogt her growing into a woman, and an enchanting one at that. Hopefully, for once, they reversed the gender ratio.

And finally, we have Torracat. I didn't like Litten very much. The whiskers made him look like unkempt. But Torracat looks poised and confident, like a brand new Jaguar ready to tackle to road. If he is to walk on two feet, I'm glad they held off on making him bipedal for the first two forms.

And why don't people like the leaked final for that one? Is it because he pees fire? I mean, he's this tough, muscular looking beast, and is the one I'd feel most comfortable with taking on the Ultra Beasts going by looks alone. He is what the Lycanrock night form should have been IMO.

And it looks like they nerfed Greninjash before he was even released. Not being able change him like in the anime is going to make him underpowered, especially without the Protean boost. It would probably would have been better to have him change once a quarter or half of the opponent's health was gone, so he could be useful in Ubers. There wouldn't even be a point of breeding Battle Bond even if it was possible, because Protean would be better overall 9 out of 10 times!

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but haven't there been hardly any relevant Fairy-types in VGC? Can't see them nerfing the type (Other than Xerneas, which I think would have been a beast with any other good offensive type, given its sheer power) if it's not relevant enough. Dragon had those Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors with only Shedinja being immune to it, for instance.
Xerneas, Gardevoir and Sylveon ripped their formats apart because strong spread Fairy moves are great offensively.

That said, I don't think the type needs nerfing. Those three are so dangerous because of their bulk and abilities.

So wait if these are old concept art for what they wanted the final to resemble then how did riddler get acces to them? You know what enough questions( no one ever responds anyway) time to predict how the finals could have changed

Robinroot: It's probably gonna have a black back and sides with how Rowlet to Dartrix was light to dark brown(especially if he wants to be a real edgelord) with the hair and extending back to make it look like a sleeveless hoodie, but with the same body size. What I'm really wondering about is if it will even launch its arrows. He may just throw them at this point. Or just Assassin's Creed bitches I don't know.

Litten3: I actually see it become more orange-red after evolving. I really like the sensor it has on its head. Maybe it will turn into a Mohawk. I'd be okay with a Mohawk tiger. Like most people I hope it stays a quadroped(did I spell it right) if not maybe it wil be like Tyhplosion, shiftable.

Popplio3: Change the dark blue tail to cyan. That's really it.

I need nickname help again for Rowlet: Kaepora Gaebora, Wang ShinTong, or Wingnut.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understood correctly, QR Code teams will only be usable on Battle Spot, right? If so, that means showdown won't become obsolete even if we're able to generate codes online, as Battle Spot doesn't have an option for searching for 6vs6 random matches. And even if something of the sort gets included, Showdown will still be your place to go if you want to avoid stuff like Mega-Khan/Minimize, etc.
QR Code teams can be used in Link Battles as well.
Just for reference, Sun/Moon being 3.2GB makes it - more or less - as big as Bravely Default. It also makes it, as far as I know, one of the biggest games on the 3DS; ahead of even MGS Snake Eater 3D and Bravely Second but behind, of course, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.
Weeeeellllp, it seems I'm getting a larger sd card then...

So wait if these are old concept art for what they wanted the final to resemble then how did riddler get acces to them? You know what enough questions( no one ever responds anyway) time to predict how the finals could have changed
That's not how it works. A game is usually only publicly given a release day once it has reached its final stages of development (At this point character overall design should've been completed already), so if the evolutions that were leaked months ago are proven true then in all likelihood that's exactly what were getting, no more no less. Moreover, a couple of months is hardly 'old' if we take in consideration that GF has probably been working on this game for years now.

As for how the Riddler got access to them, well I'm not sure but I've read somewhere that it has to do with the Chinese translation team leaking stuff from the game, but, again, do not quote me on that.

I need nickname help again for Rowlet: Kaepora Gaebora, Wang ShinTong, or Wingnut.
Wan Shi Tong barely fits and I believe it is about the right kind of owl.

BTW: Someone on reddit pointed out that the Leonids (The IRL Meteor shower the Litleonids are based on) fall annually in November, with the peak happening between the 17th and 19th. There will be a Meteor Shower going on during Sun/Moon's Release, and it will be at it's most intense. Well Played.

Clefairy was shown in its regular form in the most recent trailer so that's one more thing that's not getting an Alolan form.

List of gen I Pokemon that has not been seen in at all in their regular form are below.

#001 Bulbasaur, #002 Ivysaur, #003 Venusaur

#007 Squirtle, #008 Wartortle, #009 Blastoise

#013 Weedle, #014 Kakuna, #015 Beedrill

#016 Pidgey, #017 Pidgeotto, #018 Pidgeot

#023 Ekans, #024 Arbok

#029 Nidoran (F), #030 Nidorina, #031 Nidoqueen

#032 Nidoran (M), #033 Nidorino, #034 Nidoking

#036 Clefable

#043 Oddish, #044 Gloom, #045 Vileplume

#048 Venonat, #049 Venomoth

#050 Diglett, #051 Dugtrio

#055 Golduck

#069 Bellsprout, #070 Weepinbell, #071 Victreebel

#072 Tentacool, #073 Tentacruel

#074 Geodude, #075 Graveler, #076 Golem

#077 Ponyta, #078 Rapidash

#083 Farfetch’d

#084 Doduo, #085 Dodrio

#086 Seel, #087 Dewgong

#088 Grimer, #089 Muk

#095 Onix

#098 Krabby, #099 Kingler

#100 Voltorb, #101 Electrode

#106 Hitmonlee

#107 Hitmonchan

#108 Lickitung

#109 Koffing, #110 Weezing

#111 Rhyhorn, #112 Rhydon

#114 Tangela

#117 Seadra

#122 Mr. Mime

#124 Jynx

#137 Porygon

#138 Omanyte, #139 Omastar

#140 Kabuto, #141 Kabutops

#144 Articuno

#145 Zapdos

#146 Moltres

#150 Mewtwo

#151 Mew

Thanks, I guess I should start watching Avatar again. I think I stopped shortly after a Zuko-centric episode in Book 2.

EDIT: After reading the episode summaries at Wikipedia, I realized the episode was named "Zuko Alone".
1. idk wtf you're talking about, that was one of the best episodes of the season
2. Wang ShinTong is 13 characters incl the space, so off by 1
3. His name is actually spelled Wan Shi Tong (which is 12 characters)
4. Make sure you watch korra afterwards as well, good stuff

On a different note, how are they going to justify Ash-Greninja's existence in the games? Are they going to somehow tie it in with the z ring and the bond between trainer and pokemon (with the prefix 'ash' chucked in there for an undisclosed reason)? Or are they gonna have a quick little in-game event with a cameo from Ash Ketchum himself? They have to do something, if they just chuck it on us as another game-release event pokemon like victini, torchic and beldum but not explain anything about it, that would be a dumber idea than their "let's give rayquazza a mega evolution but not make it hold an item" gag, thus adding another item to the steadily growing list of dumb decisions, closely followed by "let's make a pig, fox and cat stand on 2 feet, light the poor bastards on fire, and pretend we put thought into this decision" and "lol fire fighting lmaoooo". Come November 18, they better be prepared for a very angry email.

1. idk wtf you're talking about, that was one of the best episodes of the season
2. Wang ShinTong is 13 characters incl the space, so off by 1
3. His name is actually spelled Wan Shi Tong (which is 12 characters)
4. Make sure you watch korra afterwards as well, good stuff

On a different note, how are they going to justify Ash-Greninja's existence in the games? Are they going to somehow tie it in with the z ring and the bond between trainer and pokemon (with the prefix 'ash' chucked in there for an undisclosed reason)? Or are they gonna have a quick little in-game event with a cameo from Ash Ketchum himself? They have to do something, if they just chuck it on us as another game-release event pokemon like victini, torchic and beldum but not explain anything about it, that would be a dumber idea than their "let's give rayquazza a mega evolution but not make it hold an item" gag, thus adding another item to the steadily growing list of dumb decisions, closely followed by "let's make a pig, fox and cat stand on 2 feet, light the poor bastards on fire, and pretend we put thought into this decision" and "lol fire fighting lmaoooo". Come November 18, they better be prepared for a very angry email.
Most likely the Ash Greninja phenomenon was catalogated as "Ash greninja". Even if it was documented in the past it was as best passed as a myth or a folk tale.

The bond phenomenon being called Ash Greninja makes sense in that way as it is the first time it was formally documented as an actual form for a Pokémon.

Think of cryptid naming, the scientific name can even include the name of the guy that re discovered it or it can be colloquially know as the myth it originated.

Also Pokémon lore is very vague, a cameo is possible and it doesn't fuck the narrative as people tend to claim, it's just a tie in acknowledging the Anime continuity nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
so have dumps started appearing?
No, I am just putting out a general warning if stuff comes sooner than expected. Demo is supposedly the 18th so expect data from anytime around then. Just saying there might be an even bigger influx of unverifiable leaks/fake leaks going around until the demo comes and then probably lots more afterwards. Be careful with what you read and especially what you post.

Wow, they're bringing back the absurdly large Dex from X/Y. Not complaining though, a large Dex allows for your in-game team to be more diverse.
See, I think this shot them in the foot when they did it for XY. Going into ORAS I was excited about the thought of them adding other regional mons in by default (not using the DexNav etc). They didn't. Hoenn was stuck with the same 2/3 mons on every route like the original games. Personally I think XY massively spoiled us and I believe SM are going to do the same to the inevitable DPPt remakes.

If I understood correctly, QR Code teams will only be usable on Battle Spot, right? If so, that means showdown won't become obsolete even if we're able to generate codes online, as Battle Spot doesn't have an option for searching for 6vs6 random matches. And even if something of the sort gets included, Showdown will still be your place to go if you want to avoid stuff like Mega-Khan/Minimize, etc.
I don't know why people are claiming this is going to make Showdown obsolete. A lot of players don't even own 3DS'. They play JUST on the sim and nothing else. They won't even experience the ingame story or care about it. They just want to battle. Showdown is here to stay, it's still much faster/easier/better than using a cart in a lot of instances. Completely agree people are just scaremongering for no real reason.

The website explains that is "is entrusted to you by a certain someone" or words to that effect. So they do kinda handwave it a bit, but why not? It's not like the anime and games have ever had the biggest cross overs ever, Gym Leaders routinely have different Pokemon, Battle Frontier was entirely different etc etc I could name many differences. Where and when you meet Ash and he "senses" something in you I have no idea, but considering they are making him retard mode into Alola, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just sheer dumb luck you got picked.

What are you talking about ssjjynx? I didn't stop watching Avatar because I stopped liking it. I stopped because... something. I don't remember what, though. And I agree with you, that episode was great.

On-Topic: Somehow, I think the whole Ash-Greninja is going to be solved with a simple "it was named after the first Trainer that used it". Hopefully, I'll be wrong about this. Specially since I have been wrong about almost everything that is Sun-Moon related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)