Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also pronouncing it Sil-val-ee, although if the last part is supposed to be ally then Silv-ah-lie is probably the right way.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking here. If the "ally" part is a corruption of "alloy", as someone pointed out, then the y sounds like /ie/ or /ee/. Then /Silv-ah-lie/ would be the correct pronunciation. Thinking about that, it's even more natural, but we'll only know it after it appears in the next movie or in an episode of the anime.

Salandit's profile already says something about pheromone and seduction, which sirens and kyubi tend to do, and Cleopatra and Medusa were beautiful women too (in her origin story at least), hence my assumption it will be a femme fatale

plz dont turn into a humanoid bae

Toucan and big fireball I have no clue. My first thought was Yatagarasu (lol thanks Persona), the three legged crow that lives in the sun, but that doesn't really have anything to do with toucans or Hawaii *shrugs*

Am curious to see how Alolan formes work. Like if I have a Kanto Grimer and evolve it in Sun and Moon, will it become Alolan Muk or Kanto Muk? If I breed 2 normal Muks do I get Alolan Grimer?
I thought those kinds of doubts for these specifics kinds of alolan pokemon were made clear for everyone but let me clear it yet again. A Base grimer only can evolve into a Base Muk even if brought to Alola, the same principle applies to A-Grimer it only evolves into A-Muk.

Those Alolan Pokemon work on the principle that a species changed into another that is diferent but not as much as to become a new species diferent from the original general resemblance, trough a long time staying in Alola, thus they are sub species which are named with the Alolan word.

This species principles should also apply on Alolan pokemon that have the same base pokemon but evolve into a Alolan pokemon of the likes of Pikachu that branches into two, Raichu and Alolan Raichu. I don't think for these cases there's confirmation but I'm sure only a Pikachu breed or caught in Alola should turn into an Alolan Raichu and maybe into a Raichu too as it is by a stone but I have doubts on the last option when taking place in Alola.

Last edited:
Anyone knows what the list of Pokemon at the bottom of the riddler's chart mean? I have been under the impression that the faded ones will get Alolan form but i'm not so sure anymore

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I seem to recall from browsing somewhere a fairly official looking pokedex list for sun and moon. Obviously most of it wasn't filled in and there were tons of blank spots. But if I recall correctly it was from one of the early livestreams where they opened the pokedex or when they caught a pokemon it showed where it was in the pokedex.

Does anyone know where this was? Or am I misremembering?

I saw it all on my phone when it came out, but I had work to do so I'm late to the comment party. Everyone pretty much already said everything, so I'll stik to my subjective reception:

Silvally was already cool in the leaked scans, but animated it looks even better! From its description sounds faster, and its signature move looks physical... Hope it'll be less "rounded" than Arceus, the reference is obvious but I'd like it to differentiate enough, instead of being a straight-up clone. From the description it looks even more like a permanent form change, instead of a classic evolution, even if it's classified as evolution indeed.
]
14691410_1798059457120271_3241135882569931703_o.jpg

Hakamo-O and Kommo-O look better animated too, but I'm still not too fond of their design, I prefer Jangmo-o. Clanging Scale is odd but interesting it looks like a special sound "hyperspace fury" dragon counterpart, when Kommo-O definitely looks like a physical attacker (if even say so in its description)... Maybe they're making it mixed? I really just hope it'll be a reverse-psyshock instead. Still not sure if this'll be our pseudo, it kinda has some vibes but I'm not that sure.

Rimbombee is cute as Cutiefly, but really looks forgettable... Will it be another Ledian, or we'll get an unexpected third evo? Like they did we Doublade last gen. I'd really like to be surprised by it, but I'm not expecting it.

Steenee and Tsareena are incredibly adorable, I love 'em. They look like the Gardevoir/Gothitelle/Florges of this gen, and I'm really loving their designs. As much as Lurantis gives "bug vibes", Tsareena looks a M-Lopunny-like fighter, but they're both pure grass instead (likely physical)... Not that great of an offensive type, but here I hope they'll compensate with stats and moves. Tsareena's signature ability also looks as a clone or pseudo-clone of Dazzle, that's pretty redundant as they could've chosen just on of the two (it's not like Dazzle looks conceptually conflicting with Tsareena...).Trop Kick looks like one of those 60BP moves with 100% effect rate, not too exciting but it's ok I guess.

Alolan Grimer is still ok as it was in the leaks, but oil-based, rainbow, crystal Alolan Muk is really something epic! It's extremely fitting with the oil theme, and they found a way to make it refreshing and original even if maintaining almost the same body as the original.

Ilima is ok I guess, nothing too exciting without knowing much of him.

Olivia is a HOT as hell, likely one of the sexiest Pokémon characters since ORAS's Wallace refresh. Some may say it's fanservice-y, but I actually like the fact that Pokémon is getting less sex-phobic: sexyness exists in reality, and I don't see why excluding it... Children will not be traumatized by a fine girl's booty or some exposed boy abs. That said, it confirms that the type-focus isn't gone, and that Kahuna'll not be that OP at first (Olivia has some NFE mons with levels on par or lower than that of the main pg... She also has a Z-ring, but I suppose we'll have one too when getting there). I really, really hope that we'll get rematches, that'll make leaders and kahunas less forgettable, and also give us a way to see their true potential as powerful pokémon trainer (I've always found silly how gym leaders should've been powerful trainers battling with all they have while using extremely weak pokémons for the most part).

Tsareena is flat ugly.
HOW DARE YOU

Silly question, do you refer to Alolan forms with a prefix or just the species name?

And this is NOT a competitive question, more a what you expect: How do you think Lurantis and Tsareena will differentiate as both seemingly are physical grass types?

I honestly don't like how videogames in general are getting less "sexphobic", (no clue what else to say LOL) I get kids in general don't percieve it as hot and what not, but I don't like it when people irl wear (or lackthere of) it so seeing it in a videogame appear much more often is pretty saddening. Different tastes for different people though.

Good news is I play wifi most of the time so I won't remember this stuff after I beat the game, anywho. To change the subject from my little ramble, is it confirmed that Z stones can provide secondary effects? I heard it could somewhere or was that just a rumor? Either way, if that's how they buff Infernape then that's all I care about. Actually the only thing I ever care about in these bloody generation transitions is what happens to Infernape. Besides the monster that will be AV Alolan Muk.

Am curious to see how Alolan formes work. Like if I have a Kanto Grimer and evolve it in Sun and Moon, will it become Alolan Muk or Kanto Muk? If I breed 2 normal Muks do I get Alolan Grimer?
I'm assuming this:
Remember pentagon mark and now plus mark? I think they will use that data in order to determine which region the baby belongs two. And as with other stuff...I believe mother mark is what is most often passed.

HOW DARE YOU

Silly question, do you refer to Alolan forms with a prefix or just the species name?

And this is NOT a competitive question, more a what you expect: How do you think Lurantis and Tsareena will differentiate as both seemingly are physical grass types?
Always Pokemon-prefix for me. I do this with Megas too because they are all still the same mon, just a different forme of them.

I was just thinking and realized there's still the snowman from the leaks to be revealed. Supposedly it's a two stage ice type. This reminded me of Avalugg who was also a two stage ice type and wasn't officially revealed before release. I wouldn't be surprised if Gamefreak does that again and decided to keep the ghost Snowman secret.

Steenee kind of looks like it should be a middle stage between Petail and Lilgant (sorry for the most likely misspelling too lazy to double check how to spell to poorly designed mons names).
Lilligant is one of the most perfectly designed Pokemon ever created. Easily top 5. Greatly prefer her to Tsareena, but I don't dislike Tsareena either.

Edit: The riddler's hint for Salandit's evolution is really interesting. Probably going to evolve to female royalty, but Tsareena already does that so maybe there's some other connection his trying to make. Hm. Either way has me excited to see what it'll be now! Wonder if she'll be getting revealed soon since the riddler decided to update her and the Toucan specifically.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who is curious as to why Jangmo-o and Null are always together. I mean there has to be reason behind it other than they felt like it. Maybe Gladion will have both or they have some other kind of relation(looks at pokedex entries)

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finally, Silvally and the lame pronunciation Arkeus shoved down our throats. They should have localized it as Arseus in the first place. Sounds more godly, more faithful to the intended name, and less ambiguous. But no, they couldn't be arsed. I like the nod to Silicon Valley though.

EDIT: Still butthurt about it. RIP RCS System.
iirc, they specifically made the pronunciation ar key us so as to avoid this connotation.

Loving all the reveals, especially Alolan Muk. So hyped for this game, haven't been this excited since HG/SS honestly. Demo just two days away!!!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Isn't the demo three days away, or its because we are on different timezones?
The demo is launched on the 18th. I'm not sure whether that is a certain time of day or not. If its like 9am PST on the 18th that makes it like 6PM in the UK or even later in Australia etc. I'm not sure how Nintendo have handled launching of demos in the past.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
The demo is launched on the 18th. I'm not sure whether that is a certain time of day or not. If its like 9am PST on the 18th that makes it like 6PM in the UK or even later in Australia etc. I'm not sure how Nintendo have handled launching of demos in the past.
If I recall correctly, the ORAS demo was released at midnight in whatever your time zone is. So it was released later in some places than others.

I don't know about demos, but when you preorder digital games, it doesn't matter that the release day has arrived in your country, you can only download it at midnight EST.

Serebii (@JoeMerrick on Twitter) doesn't seem to think that the release will be simultaneous worldwide either, it's likely it's just releasing at midnight in your timezone.

Really glad that the Exp. Share still gives exp to every party member like in x and y. There are about 30+ pokemon I wanted to use in these games, so the exp share will really help alleviate grinding issues. Just praying that the level curve is better, however.

As for new Pokemon, Sivally looks pretty sick. Just hoping it doesn't have evenly distribute stats unless its BST is 540 or higher. Would really kill its in game usability for me. Hakamo-o and Kommo-o look pretty cool, though I prefer the former's design alot more. Alolan Grimer and Muk are certainly more interesting than their regular forms, though its kinda disappointing that their both dark-types considering that we got 2 other evolutionary lines who are also dark-type.

Pokénchi aired in Japan just a little while ago. according to the good people of twitter, no new Sun and Moon news was discussed, just a re-showing of the legendaries trailer

some new anime footage was played though, and Kiawe was shown to have a Z-Ring and a Turtonator. not sure if this will carry over to the games, but seeing as that Olivia has a Z-Ring this could be a common feature among trial captains and kahunas

EDIT: also, don't think it's been discussed, but the chinese riddler's one about the actress Yukie (whose last name escapes me) has been supposedly related to Silvally. a character she portrays has a first name which translates in Chinese to "Silver" and the actual actress's last name can mean "Comrade" which is quite similar to Silvally if we consider it "Silver + Ally". I forget the direct Chinese translation but it's even more applicable in that scenario.

I was playing telephone with a Pokejungle source so it's probably best disregarded

Last edited:
EDIT: also, don't think it's been discussed, but the chinese riddler's one about the actress Yukie (whose last name escapes me) has been supposedly related to Silvally. her first name translates in Chinese to "Silver" and her last to "Comrade" which is quite similar to Silvally if we consider it "Silver + Ally". I forget the direct Chinese translation but it's even more applicable in that scenario.
The anime character is Yin from Darker Than Black, a Psychic who receives visions from water. Yukie Nakama, the actress depicted (incidentally, not voicing anyone in Darker Than Black. iirc she hasn't lent her voice to any anime characters), had a role playing Sadako Yamamura in Ring 0: Birthday. You know, the Murderous Ghost lady. The "Seven Days" lady. Yes, Her.

Pretty sure it's a hint at a Water/Ghost (maybe Water/Psychic) type, but that is just me.

Plus if it was supposed to be Silvally, it would have appeared after Type: Null, not before it with two spots in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)