Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKIII *Official Media Only*

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts, as typed for the related video:

Wait, now Rowlette is a Grass/Ghost type?! AWESOME!!! GOODBYE 4X ICE WEAKNESS!!! HELLO WILL-O-WISP!!! With a good typing, Decidueye will hopefully be even better than Gourgeist and Trevenent. It will depend on the Hidden Ability, stats, and moves. Spirit Shackle, with the right speed, has the potential of acting like a pseudo Shadow Tag, locking an opponent in, and draining their HP with a Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed combo.

Decidueye had better get both of these moves BTW, or I'll be upset. Very upset.

Incineroar: awesome name for an awesome Pokémon! He looks good at what he does. And what he does isn't very nice! Move over Houndoom, because you have competition! With set up moves like Bulk Up, he might have potential as a sweeper/counter-sweeper with Darkest Lariat, assuming it has the base power to use in place of Crunch or Dark Pulse.
I know a lot of people are already complaining about Incineroar being a biped, but lets face it: we couldn't ask for a better biped. He looks strong, and muscular, while also looking lean, like a muscle car, unlike Emboar (who is big and ugly). He's also different enough from Blaziken and Infernape, while sharing a typing with one of my favorite Gen 2 Pokémon. And with a good offensive typing, hopefully he has the bulk to use it well, unlike frail Houndoom.

Primarina: You'll have to get a female for this. Breeding this one will be interesting. When I get to it, Wonder Trade is going to be flooded with Popplios. I hope for once, they actually make this starter mostly female. It's not like they'll be hard to obtain anyways, so enough with the 1 in 7 being female shit! I look forward to seeing what sets her apart from Azumarill. Hopefully, she gets some good moves like Nasty Plot or Calm Mind, so she can at least chill out in UU. Sparkling Aria however has no use, since it causes damage. We in the competitive community like to burn down the opposition after all. And unless it also deactivates a Burn Orb permanently, I see it as too situational to use over Scald, Surf, or Hydro Pump.

I'm glad the leaks turned out real. Because these look awesome!

I can't read Japanese, so I was going off the type colors. And somehow I mixed up Flying and Ghost. Whoops.

Also, I think I'm gonna need another Flying-type, then.

And let me again say: CYNTHIA IS BACK!!!!!!! (Sorry, I'm just really excited for that.)
Don't apologize, because everyone is excited, so you can start bouncing off the walls now (especially during Halloween while snacking on sweets. In fact, why don't you wait till then, and give yourself a better pretext?).

Still, I think this Battle Tree confirms there will be no Battle Frontier. I swear, if they remake Diamond and Pearl, and don't add the Battle Frontier then, I am not getting it. I guess that if they add in other surprise guests, it will sort of make up for it. Hopefully, they'll also give them appropriate Mega Evolutions.

Last edited:
I don't think so, given we don't know the final stats of 10% Zygarde.

I also want to say how thrilled I am with the animation of these starters in the Refresh interactions. Seriously. The facial expressions and mannerisms of Incineroar look like he was ripped out of a Pixar/Dreamworks movie. Incineroar confirmed for Kung Fu Panda 12 (or whatever one is next)?? I'm a owl guy all the way, especially with that typing, but this is awesome. The 18th can't come soon enough.
The Grass Tapu used Wood hammer against a Tarous, it had a life orb.

So, the Tapu Z-Move is a glorified Hyper Fang that removes 75% of the enemy's current health. Just speculation here, but if Pulverizing Pancake upgrades Giga Impact, this one probably upgrades Nature's Madness, seeing they are so similar, and all Tapus can use it.
Does any one see an application for this? I couldn't see myself wasting a move slot on Nature's Madness, and this one requires a move slot, an item slot AND a Z-Move.

So, if Persian keeps its current base stats in its Alolan form (unlikely, but still possible), it hits 60*2 + 31 + 63 + 5 = 219 Defense with maximum investment and a neutral nature. With Fur Coat, this becomes 438 Defense at level 100. This is higher than uninvested Steelix who hits 436 defense with no investment at level 100. HP Wise, when maxed out, Persian hits 334 HP while Steelix reaches 354...

Garfield is now a Garshield it seems.

Better yet, Steelix The Cat!

So, if Persian keeps its current base stats in its Alolan form (unlikely, but still possible), it hits 60*2 + 31 + 63 + 5 = 219 Defense with maximum investment and a neutral nature. With Fur Coat, this becomes 438 Defense at level 100. This is higher than uninvested Steelix who hits 436 defense with no investment at level 100. HP Wise, when maxed out, Persian hits 334 HP while Steelix reaches 354...

... That is actually gross.

That's why having a good meal and eating those food pays off

So here are my thoughts about the new trailer:

Decidueye: ★★★★★
Is it pronounced like deciduos + eye? The leaked art of this mon was already good, but I was put off by the secondary type of its pre-evolutions. So the unexpected revelation that the final form is Ghost type and seeing it shoot arrows have sold it for me. I think this is going to be my starter.

Incineroar: ☆☆☆☆
This one looked way better in the leaked art. In 3D it looks overly goofy and cartoony for my taste. Like seriously who left this tiger escape from my cereal box?

Primarina: ★★★☆☆
The starter that's got the best name and typing. But what's going with its 'hair' when it attacks?

Cool thing to note about the starters is that they have the same pattern as Kalos starters, i.e., both of their types are weak to both types of the starter with traditional type advantage (e.g., Grass and Ghost is weak to Fire and Dark, respectively).

Tapu Lele/Fini: ☆☆☆☆
Meh.

Tapu Bulu: ★★★★
This one's actually decent and I may consider raising one. Its shared Z-move is absolutely hilarious. As pointed out by others, the face of the trainer when they smash their fist against the hand is priceless.

Alolan Persian: ★★★☆☆
It looks good on the official art and I like that it received Furfrou's signature ability, but it will still take some time for me to get used to its 3D model. There's something off with how its chubby face connects to its slim body.

Cosmog: ★★★★★
This little one looks so cute! I love that you get to befriend it throughout the main story and even get a chance to protect it from wild Spearow. That's a nice touch. The official site hints at it being connected to the cover legendaries by calling it "the child of the stars." I wonder if it will be a true pre-evolution or if we'll get another Phione-Manaphy case.

Cynthia: ★★★★★
I'm glad she's back. She's always been one of my favorite champions. I would have preferred to see her participating in the main story, but I guess we'll have to wait for D/P remakes for that.

Red & Blue: ♥♥♥♥♥
Oh my God. I never really cared about these two characters (started playing in gen 3), but damn, they aged well.

Also, I really dislike how they're not paying attention to detail. Disregarding Cynthia's Garchomp's gender and going out of their way to swap Gallade's ball from a regular to an Ultra ball is really a shame when they're doing such a great job of keeping up nostalgia on other fronts :/
Same thing happened in B2W2 PWT. Cynthia's Garchomp could be male or female because the gender is not fixed on these battles.

Wall up with lasagna!

So, anyone else get the Ryu/Ken vibe from Red and Blue?

Also, in continually amazed at how alive they make the Alloa region look with the background NPCs looking like they are doing things rather than just stand about.

If nothing else this just shows what a treat we'll be in for in gen 8 when the N switch drops

Alolan people truly have weird tastes…

On the bright side, Fur Coat has some potential. Hopefully it will be overall better than a certain stylish dog.
I see it more as how some cultures view overweight to obese as attractive. I can see how needing wealth to obtain and maintain an unhealthy life can be seen as attractive. And then the translation team mistaking attractive as beautiful

EDIT: Also small wishlist. We are building a league and we've had 8 champions, excluding N as I don't think he properly beat the E4.

Blue (defeated by Red)
Red (retired)
Lance
Steven
Cynthia
Alder
Iris
Diana

Last edited:
My thoughts, as typed for the related video:

Wait, now Rowlette is a Grass/Ghost type?! AWESOME!!! GOODBYE 4X ICE WEAKNESS!!! HELLO WILL-O-WISP!!! With a good typing, Decidueye will hopefully be even better than Gourgeist and Trevenent. It will depend on the Hidden Ability, stats, and moves. Spirit Shackle, with the right speed, has the potential of acting like a pseudo Shadow Tag, locking an opponent in, and draining their HP with a Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed combo.

Decidueye had better get both of these moves BTW, or I'll be upset. Very upset.

Incineroar: awesome name for an awesome Pokémon! He looks good at what he does. And what he does isn't very nice! Move over Houndoom, because you have competition! With set up moves like Bulk Up, he might have potential as a sweeper/counter-sweeper with Darkest Lariat, assuming it has the base power to use in place of Crunch or Dark Pulse.
I know a lot of people are already complaining about Incineroar being a biped, but lets face it: we couldn't ask for a better biped. He looks strong, and muscular, while also looking lean, like a muscle car, unlike Emboar (who is big and ugly). He's also different enough from Blaziken and Infernape, while sharing a typing with one of my favorite Gen 2 Pokémon. And with a good offensive typing, hopefully he has the bulk to use it well, unlike frail Houndoom.

Primarina: You'll have to get a female for this. Breeding this one will be interesting. When I get to it, Wonder Trade is going to be flooded with Popplios. I hope for once, they actually make this starter mostly female. It's not like they'll be hard to obtain anyways, so enough with the 1 in 7 being female shit! I look forward to seeing what sets her apart from Azumarill. Hopefully, she gets some good moves like Nasty Plot or Calm Mind, so she can at least chill out in UU. Sparkling Aria however has no use, since it causes damage. We in the competitive community like to burn down the opposition after all. And unless it also deactivates a Burn Orb permanently, I see it as too situational to use over Scald, Surf, or Hydro Pump.

I'm glad the leaks turned out real. Because these look awesome!

Don't apologize, because everyone is excited, so you can start bouncing off the walls now (especially during Halloween while snacking on sweets. In fact, why don't you wait till then, and give yourself a better pretext?).

Still, I think this Battle Tree confirms there will be no Battle Frontier. I swear, if they remake Diamond and Pearl, and don't add the Battle Frontier then, I am not getting it. I guess that if they add in other surprise guests, it will sort of make up for it. Hopefully, they'll also give them appropriate Mega Evolutions.
Decidueye is probably going to be a fragile and fast attacker, so I doubt leech seed or will-o-wisp will be great options for it competitively. That said, it could be a fantastic pivot, since it can switch into moves that won't kill it (especially fighting type moves), you spirit shackles to trap the opponent as they switch in a new pokemon, and basically give you a free switch in

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Guys, is Decidueye the first instance of multiple secondary types appearing within one starter line (grass/flying to grass/ghost)? Flavor-wise it makes sense but it definitely caught me off guard.
Certainly not the first, there are many examples:

Nincada is Bug/Ground, evolves into Bug/Flying and Bug/Ghost.
Larvitar and Pupitar are Rock/Ground, but Tyranitar is Rock/Dark.
Scyther is Bug/Flying, Scizor is Bug/Steel.
Kirlia is Psychic/Fairy, Gallade is Psychic/Fighting.
You could count Fletchling (Normal/Flying) into Fletchinder (Fire/Flying) too, but that's a case of primary typing change. As is Onix to Steelix, Swablu to Altaria is another. Fun fact, Mega Altaria shares no typing with Swablu at all.

There are probably others too, these were just the ones I remembered off the top of my head.

EDIT: Oh, starters. Derp. I guess you could count Mega Charizard X? And, uh, Wally started with a Ralts, did he not?

Last edited:
Certainly not the first, there are many examples:

Nincada is Bug/Ground, evolves into Bug/Flying and Bug/Ghost.
Larvitar and Pupitar are Rock/Ground, but Tyranitar is Rock/Dark.
Scyther is Bug/Flying, Scizor is Bug/Steel.
Kirlia is Psychic/Fairy, Gallade is Psychic/Fighting.
You could count Fletchling (Normal/Flying) into Fletchinder (Fire/Flying) too, but that's a case of primary typing change. As is Onix to Steelix, Swablu to Altaria is another. Fun fact, Mega Altaria shares no typing with Swablu at all.

There are probably others too, these were just the ones I remembered off the top of my head.
None of those are starters though

Really happy with everything! The starters all look nice, and seeing them animated makes me like them even more. I think all the Tapus are pretty great, my favorite being Tapu Bulu just because its tail is a cowbell. Nice job GF.

Seeing Red and Blue again is great. Gen 1 isn't where I started (Gen 4 for me, seeing Cynthia is awesome. Sinnoh remakes further confirmed...) but I had a huge smile on my fave and chills as they appeared. Red's design is really great and so is Blue's. Their music for the intro was nice too, I'd love a full version.

Decidueye is probably going to be a fragile and fast attacker, so I doubt leech seed or will-o-wisp will be great options for it competitively. That said, it could be a fantastic pivot, since it can switch into moves that won't kill it (especially fighting type moves), you spirit shackles to trap the opponent as they switch in a new pokemon, and basically give you a free switch in
We don't know for sure that the trapping effect ends when Decidueye switches out. It's probable that it does, but it could easily go either way.

Well, we don't know for sure that the trapping effect ends when Decidueye switches out. It's probable that it does, but it could easily go either way.
It probably doesn't given how other trapping moves work. But it doesn't really need to for the pivot to work since it still forces your opponent into a situation where they have to stay in an extra turn. Even if they switch out after you've put a new pokemon in, that still allows for easy damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)