Let's Play! GEN2 In-Game team for a Gold run

Hi everyone! I would like to introduce you a discussion about which should be a great team for a GSC in-game run; as you tiered in past pokemon in an in-game tier list* (which i studied before asking this thread), i would like to ask you which team would you prepare for an in-game run.

*: here's the link:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gsc-in-game-tier-list.3525167/

Considerations:
- Trade is assumed (yes)
- Even if the walkthrough usually complains just 3 pokemon i would like a team wich grows up during the stoyline so that you have up to 4/5 pokemon facing elite 4 and then up to 6 when ready to battle Red
- Team should be studied competitive but it would be apreciated if pokemon learn HMs (or at least the most useful ones)
- The starter, even if not mandatory, is highly recommended. I would like to see an opinion for each starter's team (this means don't choose ALWAYS Typhlosion, ahah)
- Very apreciated will be possible substitutes in your team (es: Alakazam/Kadabra - Espeon; Ampharos - Electabuzz; ...)

I will test the one which i like most. I hope you're gonna enjoy this discussion because i love 2nd gen and i bought an old Gold version yesterday!!!

In the end, a description about the team, or a pokemon-per-pokemon one, will be VERY apreciated. Please consider that pokemon are tiered by:

- Aviability
- Movepool
- Stats
- Movepool
- Major Battles (gym leaders, elite 4,...)

So, which one you choose: Cindaquil, Totodile, Chikorita or... :)

I speedrun Gold/Silver/Crystal a lot for fun and I have some experience gathered for runs.

Some pictures for proof:

If you allow Trades OP and want to test out a very quick run:Make your starter

Chikorita
[HM: Cut/Flash/Strength] -> HM Slave and useful

Catch a Geodude
[HM: Strength] -> He deals with the four first Gyms easily and only the Fighting/Ice/Dragon give him trouble

Buy an Abra in Goldenrod City

[HM: Flash] -> GOD, "S+" Rank worthy

Catch the Red Gyarados [HM:Surf/Waterfall/Whirlpool/Strength/Rocksmash HM Slave and very useful

Get the freebie gifted Spearow
[HM: Fly] -> only HM Slave

Abra is absolute Godtier. A simple set of Psychic Fire Punch Ice Punch Thunder Punch dominates nearly everything in the entire game
With Trading you have access to Alakazam which is even absurder as Kadabra itself is S-Rank worthy.

Geodude is so incredible during the early game it isn't even funny. Get Geodude as soon as possible. Chikorita makes the Enemy Pokemon Starter Thyplosion which makes Geodude's Job much easier! Chikorita also gets support moves like Reflect/Powder and Razor Leaf is amazing at Level 8

Red Gyarados is aviable as soon as after Gym 4 which is simply incredible. Great HM Slave and deals with the two annoying Houndooms in the game.

Sorry I read just now that you are about competitive...well I can only say catching the Level 50 Snorlax is most likely mandatory in your case?

I speedrun Gold/Silver/Crystal a lot for fun and I have some experience gathered for runs.

Some pictures for proof:

If you allow Trades OP and want to test out a very quick run:Make your starter

Chikorita
[HM: Cut/Flash/Strength] -> HM Slave and useful

Catch a Geodude
[HM: Strength] -> He deals with the four first Gyms easily and only the Fighting/Ice/Dragon give him trouble
Buy an Abra in Goldenrod City
[HM: Flash] -> GOD, "S+" Rank worthy

Catch the Red Gyarados [HM:Surf/Waterfall/Whirlpool/Strength/Rocksmash HM Slave and very useful

Get the freebie gifted Spearow
[HM: Fly] -> only HM Slave

Abra is absolute Godtier. A simple set of Psychic Fire Punch Ice Punch Thunder Punch dominates nearly everything in the entire game
With Trading you have access to Alakazam which is even absurder as Kadabra itself is S-Rank worthy.

Geodude is so incredible during the early game it isn't even funny. Get Geodude as soon as possible. Chikorita makes the Enemy Pokemon Starter Thyplosion which makes Geodude's Job much easier! Chikorita also gets support moves like Reflect/Powder and Razor Leaf is amazing at Level 8

Red Gyarados is aviable as soon as after Gym 4 which is simply incredible. Great HM Slave and deals with the two annoying Houndooms in the game.

Sorry I read just now that you are about competitive...well I can only say catching the Level 50 Snorlax is most likely mandatory in your case?
Woah! The Teddiurda soloing run is amazing! Well, thank you!! I'm gonna wait for other replies and if there aren't orthers i will test your strategy. In the end, nothing is mandatory but it's obvious that Snorlax itself is atomic, in-game and not. Thank You!! :D

Other recommended Pokémon:

Umbreon
The only dark-type available in G/S before Kanto. Why is this important? Every Pokémon Will of the Elite 4 has knows Psychic, which 2HKOes every Pokémon that doesn't resist it. Psychic-Types in general are a huge hassle because of the lack of options to deal with them; offensive options hardly work because of the big level spike starting with the Pokémon League.

Wooper
Prior to the Lake of Rage, you'll need another HM slave just to get to Gyarados and stuff. It can also carry some HMs in case you want to use the Red Gyarados.

Ho-oh
It is quite a lengthy tower climb to get to it, but it will make the Elite 4 a breeze should you pick it up thanks to its insane bulk, useful typing and being Level 45 already.

excuse me and what about a TOTODILE run...?? can you give me a semi-competitive IN GAME team around a starter TOTODILE?

Last edited:
AND TELL ME WHAT ABOUT THIS TEAM:

- Feraligatr Magic water
surf
ice beam
dynamic punch
curse

- Golem @soft sand
rock slide
earthquake
EXPLOSION
rock smash

- Ampharos magnet pull
thunder punch
flash
iron tail
toxic

- Arcanine @(carbonella: boosts fire-type moves)
fireblast
double edge
rest
slep talk

Machamp (Machy form ingam trade) black belt
dynamic punch
low kick
strenght
(??

well i think it needs some changes as well as a Gengar - ice punch - thunder punch - ... or even i don't know what but i would like you to give me a team around TOTODILE becaus i'd rather start with TOTODILE

ps: Alakazam is godtier i tried it in a silver run and makes the game too easy so don't post it but if necessary i think it may be replaced by Espeon..

Espeon is a worthwhile substitution for Alakazam. It has comparable stats to Alakazam, can pick up Bite as an Eevee to hit opposing Psychic-Types and also wrecks with STAB Psychic-Type moves. Other Psychics are rare and fall to Bite, Bug-Types not named Heracross (who is weak to Psychic) won't have a worthwhile STAB to hit you with and Dark-Types are almost nonexistent. Since you're not on Crystal, you'll miss out on Baton Pass though.

Fire Blast on Machamp is no joke - it's a great move to deal with the physical walls like Skarmory or Forretress. It also hits the janky Grass/Poison types fairly well. Also, it'd much rather have Cross Chop than Dynamicpunch not only for accuracy, but the high crit rate is awesome as well.

Espeon is a worthwhile substitution for Alakazam. It has comparable stats to Alakazam, can pick up Bite as an Eevee to hit opposing Psychic-Types and also wrecks with STAB Psychic-Type moves. Other Psychics are rare and fall to Bite, Bug-Types not named Heracross (who is weak to Psychic) won't have a worthwhile STAB to hit you with and Dark-Types are almost nonexistent. Since you're not on Crystal, you'll miss out on Baton Pass though.

Fire Blast on Machamp is no joke - it's a great move to deal with the physical walls like Skarmory or Forretress. It also hits the janky Grass/Poison types fairly well. Also, it'd much rather have Cross Chop than Dynamicpunch not only for accuracy, but the high crit rate is awesome as well.
ok thank you i'll remember that!! however do you have any ideas for a Feraligatr-based-ingame team? mine was just something as an example...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Honestly, you don't need that much planning to beat in-game, unless you purposefully restrict yourself. A typical Feraligatr-based ingame team goes something like this:
- Feraligatr
- Anything
- Anything
- Anything
- HM Slave or Anything
- Anything

And it'd still be plenty to win the game. Just don't use Jokemon like Ledian or Unown too much, and you should be completely fine.

Trying to optimize your team is rarely worth the effort. If you do it right, you make it so you can win every battle with any Pokémon on your team, at which point all remaining sense of challenge or variety goes completely out of the window. A "perfect" playthrough is a chore to plan, a chore to prepare and a chore to get through. I'd rather make some decisions on the fly, use sub-optimal Pokémon or swap my team around as I play, for greater variety, challenge and unpredictability.

Honestly, you don't need that much planning to beat in-game, unless you purposefully restrict yourself. A typical Feraligatr-based ingame team goes something like this:
- Feraligatr
- Anything
- Anything
- Anything
- HM Slave or Anything
- Anything

And it'd still be plenty to win the game. Just don't use Jokemon like Ledian or Unown too much, and you should be completely fine.

Trying to optimize your team is rarely worth the effort. If you do it right, you make it so you can win every battle with any Pokémon on your team, at which point all remaining sense of challenge or variety goes completely out of the window. A "perfect" playthrough is a chore to plan, a chore to prepare and a chore to get through. I'd rather make some decisions on the fly, use sub-optimal Pokémon or swap my team around as I play, for greater variety, challenge and unpredictability.
Well... So i guess i'm gonna plan a team based on weakness and threats to feraligatr by considering the pokemon found through the game... Even if this is not necessary, but i think it could be funny!

Ps: what do you mean with "restrictions"? If that can you tell me something about a team for a run with all of them? I think this is really what i was looking for!!!!

Well... So i guess i'm gonna plan a team based on weakness and threats to feraligatr by considering the pokemon found through the game... Even if this is not necessary, but i think it could be funny!

Ps: what do you mean with "restrictions"? If that can you tell me something about a team for a run with all of them? I think this is really what i was looking for!!!!
How about you don't use any Pokémon above a certain level until you get a proper amount of badges? Here's my suggested Level limits for a given number of badges:

0-1: Level 12
2: Level 16
3: Level 20
4-6: Level 25
7: Level 30
8 (pre-Pokémon League): Level 35
8 (post-Pokémon League): Level 40
9-14: Level 45
15: Level 50
16: Level 60

Go ahead and adjust these numbers if they seem too high/low. Also, you're allowed to keep your Pokémon in play should they outlevel the ceiling in the middle of the battle/E4 run.

This thread came in great timing! I was just about to begin a new savefile in Gold, precisely with Feraligatr as my starter. I think is interesting you want to plan ahead for threats to Totodile considering he is one of the most powerful and versatile pokemon for a gamerun. That being said I believe you can still choose certain pokemon at convenient timings so he can cheese even easier and faster through the game, so I have decided to join your project but with my own rule: I will use time manipulation but no trades.

Now I can see you already gave it a try to make a team draft. I know it was not a serious one but let's see if we can use it as a base and go from there, maybe I can get more ideas from the community.

AND TELL ME WHAT ABOUT THIS TEAM:

- Feraligatr Magic water
surf
ice beam
dynamic punch
curse

The star of the team, immediate availability, excellent movepool and attack very good special and speed, best starter easily. I can see you gave it Curse so this will be your engame moveset which is great, but from what I have seen people consider Kanto too easy and basically post game so I will concentrate in his performance in Johto for the purpose of this post.

- Golem @soft sand
rock slide
earthquake
EXPLOSION
rock smash

People like to use Geodude to trivialize the first half of Johto, but when Fera is your starter he is not effective against your rival. We will also need something in the future that beats Chuck's Poliwrath as it gives trouble to Fera, so considering all these problems I believe a better option this time than Geodude is Fearow.

Spearow is great at the start as he gets a boost from Zephyr Badge and can get the Swift TM right away from union cave which is a decent PW 60 STAB move to get him started and as you are getting this pokemon early his happines should be high in time for the OP Return TM.

He can beat Falkner, Bugsy, your Rival and Chuck and as a boon be the Fly HM slave.

- Machamp (Machy form ingam trade)
Dynamic punch
low kick
strenght
(??

Machamp is mainly for Whitney's Miltank and Jasmine Magnemites and Sunny Day Steelix that give headaches to Fera, but unfortunately as I can not trade, being stuck with Machoke would be terrible. So this is where Nidoran joins the team.

He is available in route 35 and learns Double Kick at level 12 to help beat the normal Gym. Then after evolving and beating Morty with Feraligatr's Dig you can Surf on him to get the Moonstone in Tohjo Falls, you can then give the King of Nidos Shadow Ball which is physical in GEN II for extra fun.

- Ampharos magnet pull
thunder punch
flash
iron tail
toxic

- Arcanine @(carbonella: boosts fire-type moves)
fireblast
double edge
rest
slep talk

well i think it needs some changes as well as a Gengar - ice punch - thunder punch - ... or even i don't know what but i would like you to give me a team around TOTODILE becaus i'd rather start with TOTODILE

I can see why you picked Ampharos as he would help speed things up against other water types that resist Feraligator and to help him from the get go in the first Gym. Unfortunately in GEN II you can not get Mareep before Falkner and as said he beats the first Gym and many Water types can be beaten by Fera, in example all the Tentacools in the way to Cianwood are beaten by Dig.

I would rather take a pokemon that does both Ampharos and Arcanine's job in a more smooth way: Magmar

Magmar is available in Ecruteak around same as Growlithe, has much better speed than Ampharos, learns Thunderpunch, Firepunch and does not need a Fire Stone to evolve. That being said you could also pick Abra instead and do this and much more with one of the best pokemon for an in-game run ever. Personally I am content with simply slapping Ice Punch to Fera and Thunder and Fire punches to Nidoking as needed.
So my Totodile team for Johto would be for the time being:

Feraligatr @ Pink Bow
-Water Gun->Surf
-Bite->Dig
-Headbutt->
-Ice Punch

Fearow @ Sharp Beak -->Ho-Oh
-Swift->Return
-Peck-> Drill Peck
-Mud Slap (For acc drops)->Fly
-Double Team

Nidoking @ Spelltag/Charcoal/Magnet
-Shadow Ball->Earthquake
-Double Kick-> Fire Punch(For Jasmine)
-Thunder Punch
-Iron Tail

Abra/Magmar (both optional)

I will add an edit with the move progressions later today. Please free to comment on this team plan as well.

Last edited:
This thread came in great timing! I was just about to begin a new savefile in Gold, precisely with Feraligatr as my starter. I think is interesting you want to plan ahead for threats to Totodile considering he is one of the most powerful and versatile pokemon for a gamerun. That being said I believe you can still choose certain pokemon at convenient timings so he can cheese even easier and faster through the game, so I have decided to join your project but with my own rule: I will use time manipulation but no trades.

Now I can see you already gave it a try to make a team draft. I know it was not a serious one but let's see if we can use it as a base and go from there, maybe I can get more ideas from the community.

So my Totodile team for Johto would be for the time being:

Feraligatr @ Pink Bow
-Water Gun->Surf
-Bite->Dig->Dynamic Punch (For Pryce's Piloswine)
-Headbutt->Strenght
-Ice Punch

Fearow @ Sharp Beak -->Ho-Oh
-Swift->Return
-Peck-> Drill Peck
-Mud Slap (For acc drops)->Fly
-Double Team

Nidoking @ Spelltag/Charcoal/Magnet
-Shadow Ball->Earthquake
-Double Kick-> Fire Punch(For Jasmine)
-Thunder Punch
-Iron Tail

Abra/Magmar (both optional)

I will add an edit with the move progressions later today. Please free to comment on this team plan as well.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAH AMAZING!!!!!! This is REALLY what i was looking for!!!!! I'm so sorry because i did that team for simple example i took 2-3 min to write it it was NOT a work done well... Let me post you another team done well please! I'm gonna start right now.

Also, if you want post your idea for this purpose!

Ps: i assume that abra is not allowed, trade or not. It's Uber ahah

Last edited:
You are very welcome! I really liked your idea and made that draft yesterday as I am going to begin in this moment as well, Please keep me updated on your game run. And yeah Abra not allowed he is too strong!

It seems Spearow is only available after the Union Cave BUT he comes just in time for Bugsy and the Rival. If you have any ideas about the movesets, please let me know as well. I am thorn between giving Dynamic Punch and Strenght to either Nidoking or Feraligatr. Good thing you can always erase elemental punches as you see fit as they are easily boughtable. Also planning to use X accuracy for Dynamic Punch ownage.

Edit: Went for a meal and I came back to beat Falkner with a lvl 16 Totodile after completing Sprout Tower. The type disadvantage is barely noticeable in the tower when you are 7-10 levels higher and Scratch 2-hit kills the Bellsprouts so no need for Spearow here.

Last edited:
You are very welcome! I really liked your idea and made that draft yesterday as I am going to begin in this moment as well, Please keep me updated on your game run. And yeah Abra not allowed he is too strong!

It seems Spearow is only available after the Union Cave BUT he comes just in time for Bugsy and the Rival. If you have any ideas about the movesets, please let me know as well. I am thorn between giving Dynamic Punch and Strenght to either Nidoking or Feraligatr. Good thing you can always erase elemental punches as you see fit as they are easily boughtable. Also planning to use X accuracy for Dynamic Punch ownage.

Edit: Went for a meal and I came back to beat Falkner with a lvl 16 Totodile after completing Sprout Tower. The type disadvantage is barely noticeable in the tower when you are 7-10 levels higher and Scratch 2-hit kills the Bellsprouts so no need for Spearow here.
Ok now i structured the team for the run. It is based on efficence in battle with also HMs included in pokemon's sets, to .
Well this is what i did, it covers a good part of the game but i need to work on this more.

Feraligatr:
- Surf
- Ice punch
- Dynamic punch
- Whirpool

Standard, starter. Mixed sweeper using DPunch to hit hard iussues. Not much to say because it is the star of the team.

Fearow:
- Wing attack ->Drill peck
- Return
- Steel wing
- Fly

This will come by the start of the adventure. According to Bulbapedia it can be obtainable in route 45, which is at the very start of the game. It will scout every Bug/Grass pokemon in the early game, leaving Totodile only for the first badge and the Azalea Tunnel. Il will take care also of rival's Byleef and the second gym. It is the flyer and if we trust in it we can pull it up till indigo plateu by making him face Chuck and even Bruno. Instead, it could be also leave in the pc by arriving in Goldenrod.

Machamp (Machy):
- Karate chop ->Submission ->Cross chop
- Foresight ->Curse
- Strenght
- Rock smash

This is because i CAN trade so Machamp has the strenght to face Steel and Ice gyms and even Karen. It's not a surprise that it will take care of all normal type which are spred all around the game, and can beat the 3rd gym easily. Fight type is must in ingame i think, and it is the only one early-game aviable.

Espeon:
- Psychobeam ->Psychic
- Bite
- Morning sun
- Flash

This is because i banned Alakazam as i used it in silver. Also, i banned Nidoking for the same reason. I chose Espeon because it is the only psychic type aviable by coming in goldenrod apart from Hypno which s*cks. It also learns Bite so it can face the 4th gym in the Eevee form and then, after becoming an Espeon, it will be used to fight Poison type: this will occur to fight Team Rocket, Koga, Nina, and a lot of trainers which use Poison type. By having Espeon in the team, i think Fearow is not necessary anymore from a competitive point of view. NOTE it could be used as a screener in my opinion.

This is what i have done up to now. I'm gonna evolve this and complete the team considering the all run. I would like to assume having 6 pomemon facing Red and not more than 4/5 facing elite 4. We can consider also to raise a pokemon in particular with SHARE exp (maybe Ampharos because we can take Mareep under Lake of Rage).
Well i'm not sure Espeon is so useful because it is assumed more or less just for Poison type which should be covered also by an Earth type but.. Sandslash seems to me very bad... Any ideas on how to evolve/change this?

Last edited:
Ok I added some things. First of all, we will divide the d'un in parts.

1st part: from Start to Goldenrod city
- Totodile
- Spearow

Tris si simple. The magical duo will take care of everything in your path. NOTE avoid to fight the fishermen under Violet city... Few Lines under this will be explained.

2nd part: from Goldenrod to Surf (usable)
- Croconaw
- Machop
- Eevee

Spearow's job is done and now it's time to rest for him. Instead, we will take Machy from the ingame trade, because as i mentioned this is the only and probably the best Normal-type counter aviable and also gets Exp faster because it's traded; comes perfectly against 3rd gym and faces 6th and 7th and part of Karen's Dark team; NOTE that i consider it because i CAN trade.
Then we will take the Eevee which i think is recommended to become an Espeon as i banned every form of Abra and it comes al lv.20 which is high and quickly learns Bite to face the 4th gym. A psychic type is very important because of Team Rocket: they will use mostly Poison types and it will take care of Fight an Poison elite4. I would like to mention that i arrived to this conclusion because before i was thinking about Umbreon and not to leave Fearow in the box, but i think Espeon should work better.
I made some calculation and considering to go every day to the HairBros in Goldenrod Eevee should reach 220 happiness points by leaving Olivine city so i guess it works; by the way the most important usage of Espeon is against Team Rocket so it will be an Espeon for sure at that time.

3rd part: from Surf to Ice path (exp.share)
- Croconaw
- Machoke
- Espeon
- Mareep

By gaining Surf, we will start facing Water types. The trick i thought is to go as soon as we get Surf to the right of Ekutreak city and get a lv15 Mareep which learns Thundershock. With that go back to the South of Violet city and train Mareep with the Fishermen i mentioned before. It would be a great idea to find back items through surf in the early game and use wild pokemon to train Mareep. As the Sheep becomes a Flaffy teach it punches and go facing the sea of Olivine city. This pokemon is recommended for the team because is assumed as a MUST to have an Electric or a Grass type to kill easily every water type and this is in my opinion the stronger option by far. It it a reverse Magmar, a little slower but much more efficent IN THIS TEAM. (Magmar is a MUST for a Chikorita run)
So use Flaffy to cross the sea, Espeon to kill Chuck, Machamp for 6th and 7th badge and Espeon for team rocket. Then we get the Exp-Share.

I'm gonna edit as soon as i find how to manage the 4th part (from Ice path to Indigo Plateu) adding (if NECESSARY!) one pokemon maybe trained by Share Exp if that would be too low-leveled. Then we will have to consider the Kanto Run, which means this is only an half of the work or less. But this is the start. Any ideas about it?

Last edited:
Brilliant plan! I will write my observations later today.

Something I want to ask the community as well is if someone has tried and if it is possible to skip Olivine and Cianwood sections entirely and skip directly into Lake of Rage, Pryce Gym and defeating team Rocket in Goldenrod section right after Morty? I think it is interesting as you could plan for a team for that tackles the second section of Johto from the start to potential save a chunk of time as in an speedrun.

Last edited:
Brilliant plan! I will reserve and edit to write my observations in short

Something I want to ask the community as well is if someone has tried and if it is possible to skip Olivine and Cianwood sections entirely and skip directly into Lake of Rage, Pryce Gym and defeating team Rocket in Goldenrod section right after Morty? I think it is interesting as you could plan for a team for that tackles the second section of Johto from the start to potential save a chunk of time as in an speedrun.
You can "skip" Olivine and Cianwood Sections but to activate Goldenrod Team Rockets, you need 7 Badges.
Basically:
Pryce Gym is possible after 4th Gym
Team Rocket after 7th Gym
8th Gym after Team Rocket, BUT Access to the city(Blackthorn) before Team Rocket

ok man i analyzed the match-ups against elite4 and i found something. It seems that Machamp is nearly useless against them, and what he does can be done in the same way by a strong Fire type, which means i would like to replace it with a Magmar, as you metioned, because it comes not much later and it will be used a lot against the elite4. The only problem is now that you don't have normal-type counter but you gain a bug/grass counter and i didn't consider that they are very common too. I also thought that it could also replace Ampharos by learning Thunder punch, but... i'm not that sure. It seems to me that also Ampharos could replace Magmar with fire punch so what's the answer? I think i need some help.

PS: sorry for that, i edited the fourth part wrongly because i assumed to have the In-game trade in Blackthorn city which is not possible as you will need Super Rod which is in route 12 :(

Ok I added some things. First of all, we will divide the d'un in parts.

1st part: from Start to Goldenrod city
- Totodile
- Spearow

Tris si simple. The magical duo will take care of everything in your path. NOTE avoid to fight the fishermen under Violet city... Few Lines under this will be explained.

2nd part: from Goldenrod to Surf (usable)
- Croconaw
- Machop
- Eevee

Spearow's job is done and now it's time to rest for him. Instead, we will take Machy from the ingame trade, because as i mentioned this is the only and probably the best Normal-type counter aviable and also gets Exp faster because it's traded; comes perfectly against 3rd gym and faces 6th and 7th and part of Karen's Dark team; NOTE that i consider it because i CAN trade.
Then we will take the Eevee which i think is recommended to become an Espeon as i banned every form of Abra and it comes al lv.20 which is high and quickly learns Bite to face the 4th gym. A psychic type is very important because of Team Rocket: they will use mostly Poison types and it will take care of Fight an Poison elite4. I would like to mention that i arrived to this conclusion because before i was thinking about Umbreon and not to leave Fearow in the box, but i think Espeon should work better.
I made some calculation and considering to go every day to the HairBros in Goldenrod Eevee should reach 220 happiness points by leaving Olivine city so i guess it works; by the way the most important usage of Espeon is against Team Rocket so it will be an Espeon for sure at that time.

3rd part: from Surf to Share Exp.
- Croconaw
- Machoke (Magmar)
- Espeon
- Mareep

By gaining Surf, we will start facing Water types. The trick i thought is to go as soon as we get Surf to the right of Ekutreak city and get a lv15 Mareep which learns Thundershock. With that go back to the South of Violet city and train Mareep with the Fishermen i mentioned before. It would be a great idea to find back items through surf in the early game and use wild pokemon to train Mareep. As the Sheep becomes a Flaffy teach it punches and go facing the sea of Olivine city. This pokemon is recommended for the team because is assumed as a MUST to have an Electric or a Grass type to kill easily every water type and this is in my opinion the stronger option by far. It it a reverse Magmar, a little slower but much more efficent IN THIS TEAM. (Magmar is a MUST for a Chikorita run)
So use Flaffy to cross the sea, Espeon to kill Chuck, Machamp for 6th and 7th badge and Espeon for team rocket. Then we get the Exp-Share.
NOTE By the edit i added the Magmar version because it can do the same of Machamp (apart from Normal-types counter) and does much more better against elite4.

I'm gonna edit as soon as i find how to manage the 4th part (from Ice path to Indigo Plateu) adding (if NECESSARY!) one pokemon maybe trained by Share Exp if that would be too low-leveled. Then we will have to consider the Kanto Run, which means this is only an half of the work or less. But this is the start. Any ideas about it?
Ok here i got the 4th part.

4th part: from Share Exp. to Indigo Plateu
- Feraligatr
- Machamp
- Espeon
- Ampharos
- Magmar (exp. Share)

I know what is, honestly, obvious: Magmar can do all the job done by Machamp even well and come not much later. It's true. But machamp is always the normal-type counter you will need from Goldenrod to Mt. Silver. With Machamp, the fire type will not be necessary untill the Indigo Plateu (and even there, Ampharos can learn Fire-Punch and hit hard Forretress and even Exeggutor and Jynx) so we can catch it as soon as we catch Red Gyarados and give it Share Exp. NOTE Share Exp. will decreas the growth of the entire team and as Machamp does the same of Magmar and maybe Magmar can do the same of Ampharos with Thunder-Punch one of these pokemon can be cutted out (by far cutting out Ampharos is the wrost choice as it would mean that you're gonna face water types with Magmar). NOTE Taking Magmar instead of Machamp in part 3 means that you will use Machy for the 3rd gym anyway because it will easily win battles that without it are not so easy at that levels. You just put it in the Box after the gym.

So we get to the indigo league:

Feraligatr:
- Surf
- Ice punch
- Dynamic punch
- Whirpool

Machamp: (if used)
- Cross chop
- Fire punch
- Strenght
- Rock smash

Espeon:
- Psychic
- Bite
- Morning sun
- Quick attack/cut

Ampharos:
- Thunderbolt
- Iron tail/Fire-punch (if there is No Magmar)
- Thunder wave
- Flash

Magmar: (if used)
- Fire blast
- Thunder punch
- Sunny day/Strenght
- Rock smash

Then it is. Indigo Plateau. Here the match-ups:

Will:
- Xatu (x2): Ampharos
- Jynx: Magmar
- Exeggutor: Magmar
- Slowbro: Ampharos

Koga:
- Ariados: Espeon/Magmar
- Venomoth: Espeon/Magmar
- Muk: Espeon
- Crobat: Espeon/Ampharos
- Forretress: Magmar

Bruno:
- Hit,Hit,Hit,Champ: Espeon
- Onix: Feraligatr

Karen:
- Umbreon: Machamp
- Houndoom: Feraligatr/Machamp
- Vileplume: Espeon/Magmar
- Gengar: Espeon
- Murkrow: Ampharos (or anything)

Lance:
- Gyarados: Ampharos
- Dragonite (x3): Feraligatr
- Charizard: Feraligatr
- Aerodactyl: Feraligatr/Ampharos

The indigo plateu is done. Using every pokemon means totally control that. If you don't use Magmar be sure Ampharos learns Fire punch; if you don't use Machamp (which seems to me cool) you will only have to manage Umbreon without any super-effective Stab.

This is all i found for the Johto run. Mentionable obviously are Abra, Umbreon and Nidoking which i don't use because i used them in a previsious Silver run. I'm gonna wait for your opinions about that.

Kanto part needs more considerations and i'm gonna check it later. Up to now this is all what i have done, just tell me what do you think!

ok man i analyzed the match-ups against elite4 and i found something. It seems that Machamp is nearly useless against them, and what he does can be done in the same way by a strong Fire type, which means i would like to replace it with a Magmar, as you metioned, because it comes not much later and it will be used a lot against the elite4. The only problem is now that you don't have normal-type counter but you gain a bug/grass counter and i didn't consider that they are very common too. I also thought that it could also replace Ampharos by learning Thunder punch, but... i'm not that sure. It seems to me that also Ampharos could replace Magmar with fire punch so what's the answer? I think i need some help.

PS: sorry for that, i edited the fourth part wrongly because i assumed to have the In-game trade in Blackthorn city which is not possible as you will need Super Rod which is in route 12 :(
Ok here i got the 4th part.

4th part: from Share Exp. to Indigo Plateu
- Feraligatr
- Machamp
- Espeon
- Ampharos
- Magmar (exp. Share)

I know what is, honestly, obvious: Magmar can do all the job done by Machamp even well and come not much later. It's true. But machamp is always the normal-type counter you will need from Goldenrod to Mt. Silver. With Machamp, the fire type will not be necessary untill the Indigo Plateu (and even there, Ampharos can learn Fire-Punch and hit hard Forretress and even Exeggutor and Jynx) so we can catch it as soon as we catch Red Gyarados and give it Share Exp. NOTE Share Exp. will decreas the growth of the entire team and as Machamp does the same of Magmar and maybe Magmar can do the same of Ampharos with Thunder-Punch one of these pokemon can be cutted out (by far cutting out Ampharos is the wrost choice as it would mean that you're gonna face water types with Magmar). NOTE Taking Magmar instead of Machamp in part 3 means that you will use Machy for the 3rd gym anyway because it will easily win battles that without it are not so easy at that levels. You just put it in the Box after the gym.

So we get to the indigo league:

Feraligatr:
- Surf
- Ice punch
- Dynamic punch
- Whirpool

Machamp: (if used)
- Cross chop
- Fire punch
- Strenght
- Rock smash

Espeon:
- Psychic
- Bite
- Morning sun
- Quick attack/cut

Ampharos:
- Thunderbolt
- Iron tail/Fire-punch (if there is No Magmar)
- Thunder wave
- Flash

Magmar: (if used)
- Fire blast
- Thunder punch
- Sunny day/Strenght
- Rock smash

Then it is. Indigo Plateau. Here the match-ups:

Will:
- Xatu (x2): Ampharos
- Jynx: Magmar
- Exeggutor: Magmar
- Slowbro: Ampharos

Koga:
- Ariados: Espeon/Magmar
- Venomoth: Espeon/Magmar
- Muk: Espeon
- Crobat: Espeon/Ampharos
- Forretress: Magmar

Bruno:
- Hit,Hit,Hit,Champ: Espeon
- Onix: Feraligatr

Karen:
- Umbreon: Machamp
- Houndoom: Feraligatr/Machamp
- Vileplume: Espeon/Magmar
- Gengar: Espeon
- Murkrow: Ampharos (or anything)

Lance:
- Gyarados: Ampharos
- Dragonite (x3): Feraligatr
- Charizard: Feraligatr
- Aerodactyl: Feraligatr/Ampharos

The indigo plateu is done. Using every pokemon means totally control that. If you don't use Magmar be sure Ampharos learns Fire punch; if you don't use Machamp (which seems to me cool) you will only have to manage Umbreon without any super-effective Stab.

This is all i found for the Johto run. Mentionable obviously are Abra, Umbreon and Nidoking which i don't use because i used them in a previsious Silver run. I'm gonna wait for your opinions about that.

Kanto part needs more considerations and i'm gonna check it later. Up to now this is all what i have done, just tell me what do you think!
Wow, really well thought! My first observation would be about how many threats can be taken care by at least 2 pokemon from this team, as you said with the Magmar/Ampharos ambiguity as both have Electric and Fire coverage with good especial attack.

The most flaring problem for me would be that you are relying on Evee learning Bite before Morty and before evolving him to Espeon, however, Evee does not learn Bite until level 30, so that may pose a problem as he comes at level 20 and getting 10 levels between Whitney and Morty just so Evee can counter that gym does not seem optimal.

Additionally, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't whirlpool barely gets used in-game? If I recall those are only in the Whirl Islands and this being Gold you do not get the benefit of a pre-E4 Lugia, so you should be fine replacing that moveslot on Feraligatr with something more useful.

What I propose is you to ditch Espeon and give Dig to Feraligatr so he can take on Morty, this way our star Fera can also take on the Rocket's Poison pokemon so you will not need Psychic coverage. Another neat thing I did was use Fearow with Mud-Shot against Gengar so he can never hit with Hypnosis, it is so funny because he can not touch Fearow!

So the set would be:
Feraligatr
-Surf->Waterfall (I will explain later)
-Ice Punch
-Dynamic Punch
-Dig or Bite (both take care of Morty, both have same BP, but Dig should hit harder from his higher Attack)

We are also forgetting one of the hardest Gyms which is Clair's and how to deal with her Kingra. This guy should be the best chance we have as Kingra is only weak to Dragon and there are no good such moves this generation. However, this gen does gives us a broken X-Acc that bypasses accuracy, so we can set up on a Dragonair that hopefully carries Ice Beam or Surf and no Thunderbolt and then Ice Punch the Dragonairs and Dynamic Punch confuse Kingra to death.

Now you are also planning to use Espeon against Chuck Poliwrath which I think is well-planned but redundant if you are carrying a pokemon with ThunderPunch, which is the plan. I agree that for the purpose of this team Magmar does not "mesh" well with Fera so this time Ampharos could be the elected special sweeper:

Ampharos @ Quick Claw
-ThunderPunch
-Fire Punch
-Thunderwave
-Flash

Unfortunately Iron Tail ,albeit powerful, is physical and thus will come off Ampharos lower attack, so we could slap Fire Punch there so Ampharos can deal with many E4 pokemon and thus Magmar won't be as necessary. Also, To help Ampharos speed tier but we can give it Quick Claw to remedy to some extent. Also, he does not learns Thunderbolt :(

So Overall the route could be like this:

Early routes Bugs and Normals: Totodile, Spearow

Bellsprout Tower and Falkner: Spearow

Union Cave and Slowpoke Well: Totodile

Bugsy, Rival 1 Ilex Forest: Spearow

Whitney: Machoke/Nidorino

Morty:Croconaw, Fearow

Path to Olivine and Lighthouse: Croconaw, Mareep

Sea routes and Chuck: Mareep

Jasmine: Flaaffy or Machamp/Nidoking

Pryce: Flaffy or Machamp or even Croconaw

Rival Flaaffy, Fearow, Croconaw

Rocket Executives: Ampharos and Feraligatr

Clair:Feraligatr

Here you can finally Forget HMs and put useful TMs so I would forget Surf on Feraligatr and teach him Waterfall. As I elected Nidoking he would be my Surfer (Cool Nidoking rocks)

Rival: Ampharos, Fearow, Feraligatr, Nidoking

Indigo Plateu: Can probably get Ho-Oh by this point

Will: Ampharos or Fearow/Ho-Oh and even Nidoking
Note: Nidoking can hit the Psychic types with Shadow Ball

Koga: Ampharos/Ho-Oh and Feraligatr/Nidoking
Note: Either Fera Dig or Nidoking Earthquake for the Poison types

Bruno Fearow/Ho-Oh, Feraligatr

Karen Feraligatr, Ampharos or Ho-Oh and Nidoking can help
Note:You can do the X-Acc trick on Umbreon to hit super effectively with Dynamic Punch

Lance Ampharos and Feraligatr

Final set for my Nidoking would be:

Nidoking:
-Earthquake
-Shadow Ball
-Strenght
-Surf

Of course you can keep Machamp as your Strenght HM slave and have Feraligatr carry Surf and Waterfall (which is necessary to cross to Kanto) and with that you should be set for the useful HMs. Let me know what you think!

Wow, really well thought! My first observation would be about how many threats can be taken care by at least 2 pokemon from this team, as you said with the Magmar/Ampharos ambiguity as both have Electric and Fire coverage with good especial attack.

The most flaring problem for me would be that you are relying on Evee learning Bite before Morty and before evolving him to Espeon, however, Evee does not learn Bite until level 30, so that may pose a problem as he comes at level 20 and getting 10 levels between Whitney and Morty just so Evee can counter that gym does not seem optimal.

Additionally, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't whirlpool barely gets used in-game? If I recall those are only in the Whirl Islands and this being Gold you do not get the benefit of a pre-E4 Lugia, so you should be fine replacing that moveslot on Feraligatr with something more useful.

What I propose is you to ditch Espeon and give Dig to Feraligatr so he can take on Morty, this way our star Fera can also take on the Rocket's Poison pokemon so you will not need Psychic coverage. Another neat thing I did was use Fearow with Mud-Shot against Gengar so he can never hit with Hypnosis, it is so funny because he can not touch Fearow!

So the set would be:
Feraligatr
-Surf->Waterfall (I will explain later)
-Ice Punch
-Dynamic Punch
-Dig or Bite (both take care of Morty, both have same BP, but Dig should hit harder from his higher Attack)

We are also forgetting one of the hardest Gyms which is Clair's and how to deal with her Kingra. This guy should be the best chance we have as Kingra is only weak to Dragon and there are no good such moves this generation. However, this gen does gives us a broken X-Acc that bypasses accuracy, so we can set up on a Dragonair that hopefully carries Ice Beam or Surf and no Thunderbolt and then Ice Punch the Dragonairs and Dynamic Punch confuse Kingra to death.

Now you are also planning to use Espeon against Chuck Poliwrath which I think is well-planned but redundant if you are carrying a pokemon with ThunderPunch, which is the plan. I agree that for the purpose of this team Magmar does not "mesh" well with Fera so this time Ampharos could be the elected special sweeper:

Ampharos @ Quick Claw
-ThunderPunch
-Fire Punch
-Thunderwave
-Flash

Unfortunately Iron Tail ,albeit powerful, is physical and thus will come off Ampharos lower attack, so we could slap Fire Punch there so Ampharos can deal with many E4 pokemon and thus Magmar won't be as necessary. Also, To help Ampharos speed tier but we can give it Quick Claw to remedy to some extent. Also, he does not learns Thunderbolt :(

So Overall the route could be like this:

Early routes Bugs and Normals: Totodile, Spearow

Bellsprout Tower and Falkner: Spearow

Union Cave and Slowpoke Well: Totodile

Bugsy, Rival 1 Ilex Forest: Spearow

Whitney: Machoke/Nidorino

Morty:Croconaw, Fearow

Path to Olivine and Lighthouse: Croconaw, Mareep

Sea routes and Chuck: Mareep

Jasmine: Flaaffy or Machamp/Nidoking

Pryce: Flaffy or Machamp or even Croconaw

Rival Flaaffy, Fearow, Croconaw

Rocket Executives: Ampharos and Feraligatr

Clair:Feraligatr

Here you can finally Forget HMs and put useful TMs so I would forget Surf on Feraligatr and teach him Waterfall. As I elected Nidoking he would be my Surfer (Cool Nidoking rocks)

Rival: Ampharos, Fearow, Feraligatr, Nidoking

Indigo Plateu: Can probably get Ho-Oh by this point

Will: Ampharos or Fearow/Ho-Oh and even Nidoking
Note: Nidoking can hit the Psychic types with Shadow Ball

Koga: Ampharos/Ho-Oh and Feraligatr/Nidoking
Note: Either Fera Dig or Nidoking Earthquake for the Poison types

Bruno Fearow/Ho-Oh, Feraligatr

Karen Feraligatr, Ampharos or Ho-Oh and Nidoking can help
Note:You can do the X-Acc trick on Umbreon to hit super effectively with Dynamic Punch

Lance Ampharos and Feraligatr

Final set for my Nidoking would be:

Nidoking:
-Earthquake
-Shadow Ball
-Strenght
-Surf

Of course you can keep Machamp as your Strenght HM slave and have Feraligatr carry Surf and Waterfall (which is necessary to cross to Kanto) and with that you should be set for the useful HMs. Let me know what you think!
Wonderful! Just a little mention: Feraligatr cannot learn Waterfall. It's strange but true. I find your strategy perfect and i like it very much, but the fact is.. I was banning Nidoking. I know it's a great purpose but i have not to use it, and i don't think Nidoqueen can be good enough.

Anyway i took some changes to my strategy according to your advice:

#1: why take out poor Spearow? It does his job in a grat way and can do all what can do Espeon in fact of Gyms! Of course as mentioned it can't be damaged by Morty's Pokemon. It seems to me that at least, a Flyng type OR a Psychic type is required for every studied run. So pick up Fearow, which will face chuck and goes on killing Bugs and Grass typez.

- Espeon: Out -> Fearow: In

With Fearow we get acess to Flyng type-Stab, which, combined to the Fighting type Machamp, means we won't need any Fire or Psychic type. Bye bye Espeon :(

NOTE: i still think a Fire type could be an option over Machamp* because gives the same opportunities in facing Gyms; so i considered that the first and most notable Fire types are Magmar (as mentioned) and even Growlithe that learns Bite and can be evolved in Arcanine (according to trading in Red to get Firestone) to get massive SpAtk and scary out Morty.

*: in this case you will use Machy only for the 3rd Gym.

#2: I confirm Ampharos as the Electric type which is absolutely necessary because by coming to Olivine City you will start facing a massive ammount of Water types (in which a great part consists on Tencool/Cruel, so only common weakness ELECTRIC) and is by far the greatest choice as learns Fire punch (GREAT at Indigo Plateu!) and is the most durable (other options are Magnemite and Voltorb).

#3: i would like to add the next part, which consist by reaching Blackthorn City to the Indigo plateu. Now we have:

Feraligatr
- Surf
- Ice punch
- Dynamic punch
- Dig

Fearow
- Drill peck
- Return
- Mud slap/Steel wing
- Fly

Machamp
- Cross chop
- Fire/Ice punch (or Energy Conc.)
- Strenght
- Rock smash

Ampharos
- Thunder (fixed)
- Fire punch
- Thunder wave
- Flash

I wish we could get the Super Rod and get the Rhydon given by the girl in Blackthorn city. In particular i have to note one thing: we will need an Earth type as soon as possible. Feraligatr must stop using Dig after the Rocket's! We have to find a Psychic type, or at least an Earth type, to STAB-out REAL Poison threats. In prticular Earth is the only aviable option to face Lt.Surge in Kanto, and we MUST use Tm26 in the Victory road!

I think that, in my run, i'm gonna trading a Dragonair lv.40 like if i had the Super Rod, and taking my massive Rhyno. But this is not in our discussion, because Super Rod is aviable only once in Kanto.

You know even if Rhydon is BEAST... It would not help that much against 8th Gym. So i consider... Why not.... A Pyloswine!!

Piloswine
- Blizzard (Goldenrod city)
- Earthquake (Victory road)
- Rest
- Sleep talk

The only problem is that Swinub comes at low level and requires grinding. The fact is we need Ice type to face the 8th Gym, and we need an Earth type to face the other part of the game. So this seems to me cool.

It cold be trained by Share Exp... Well i know this is a very strange pokemon, but i'm just asking you what do you think about it.

NOTE I think that even Jynx would be a great choice because it is Psychic so it solves the Poison problem too. The fact is that the 6th pokemon, anyway, should be Earth type because of Lt.Surge's match. Posing an Earth type means that the psychic component is now useless so i prefer Pyloswine even if Jynx is easier to train.

A always reccomand, anyway, my very pleased Espeon, but with Fearow it doesn't have a place in the team... And even magmar, whose place is occupied by Machamp but it does not get along well with Amphy.
By the way with Rhydon you will get a great team that has nothing to threat about, and you still are not using Fire os Psychic type! The fact is... It cannot be a wild Rhydon because it does not learn any other rock moves than Rollut which s*cks. You would have to take the one given by the girl in Blackthorn city and you will first need to reach the Silence Bridge (Lavandonia, Kanto). Then it will be used against Lt.Surge. It sounds like that Rhydon costs too efforts... (So why don't we consider Piloswine seriously?)

NOTE I also consider that an Earth type is now recommended but i don't assume considering wild Ryhorn because they only learn Rollout. Maybe, instead, why not a Golem? A Steelix would be also a good option but... I banned Steelix too. By the way i wanna purpose Pyloswine. This seems to me cool.

NOTE The sixt pokemon must be chosen in Kanto i think, it would be anyone. The 4-5 pokemon are these, and even the most considered ones:

CORE:
- Feraligatr
- Fearow
- Machamp
- Ampharos

Last part Addictions:
- Piloswine/Rhydon
- Jynx
- Anyone (Grinding/Share exp.)

Considerations:
- Espeon/Umbreon (by far better Espeon)
- Magmar
- Arcanine
- Gengar (WHY NOT?!?)

Banned pokemons (sorry)
- Abra (ANY form)
- NidoS
- Dratini (..)
- Cindaquil/Chikorita
- On/SteelIX
- Zub/Gol/CroBAT
- Lapras

Others:
- Golem
- Sandslash
- Arbok
- Victreebell
- (..) anything that is not samy type of something..

Tell me how to get this job very very very well done!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)