SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

anyone have a quick list of the movies you think are worth watching? I've only seen Pokemon 2000 on VHS when I was little and don't remember it.
If you want a so bad its good kind of thing then i recommend the Hoopa movie as its quite funny with all the bullshit it has. If its a straight forward good movie then the Power of Us and Detective Pikache is one of the best Pokemon Movies as of now.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
... So, the Galar Fossil episode is here...
Ash is given a Dracovish:

Cause I guess the meme was too tempting to ignore.
I just can't wait for all the stupid ways they can think of it winning battles...

Oh, and Goh got an Arctozolt:

In more exciting news, Gary and Iris are going to be making appearances. Iris is especially notable as they skipped over her expected few episode cameo in Kalos (breaking the tradition so much that Serena didn't appear in Alola, probably because Ash went back to acting like a dunce again). So is Serena too going to make an appearance even though we still have a bit of a wacky Ash?

... So, the Galar Fossil episode is here...
Ash is given a Dracovish:

Cause I guess the meme was too tempting to ignore.
I just can't wait for all the stupid ways they can think of it winning battles...

In more exciting news, Gary and Iris are going to be making appearances. Iris is especially notable as they skipped over her expected few episode cameo in Kalos (breaking the tradition so much that Serena didn't appear in Alola, probably because Ash went back to acting like a dunce again). So is Serena too going to make an appearance even though we still have a bit of a wacky Ash?

So let me get this straight.
Ash got Pikachu, Dragonite, Lucario, Gengar, Galarian Farfetch'd, and now a Dracovish?
At this rate the Darkrai dude will have to make a cameo to stop him in the World Championships. :psysly:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aw hell yeah, Goh got Arctozolt and Ash got Dracovish. I'm glad my favorite two of the abominations got the spotlight for the fossil episode.

As for Iris returning, I'm honestly more surprised it took this long for her to make a return than anything. To be frank I was expecting it to happen back in XY of all things but her return is well...quite late. But in any case, I am still looking forward to seeing what she'll do when she makes an appearance in this series!

Oh and Gary will show up. I do wonder how that'll roll.

Cool to see Iris make a repparence but man, Been a long time since we've seen Gary, eh? His last-in-person appearence was...wow, 2009. Otherwise he got a brief camoe in the last BW episode.

We only get a brief headshot but judging by the white color seems he's sporting his HGSS duds

Kind of surprised, figured they might go to his classic design if he ever showed up again since its used in Lets Go.

anyone have a quick list of the movies you think are worth watching? I've only seen Pokemon 2000 on VHS when I was little and don't remember it.
Trying to keep it short:
First three movies are a classic that's still worth watching, that said, try to watch the original jp release for Mewtwo Strikes Back. I don't like the visual in the remake.

4ever pads out a lot until the villain strikes, also lmao cgi Suicune what a joke

Heroes and Lucario are pretty heartwarming yet tragic

I found Jirachi and Deoxys kinda eh tbh, same for Manaphy, wasted potential....

Rise of Darkrai is pretty good, Shaymin is whatever, Arceus is more interesting because of the past setting, and Zoroark is pretty heartwarming (also it has the biggest bastard villain of these movies).

Victini, ok...fine movie, but, WHO TF HAD THE IDEA OF CREATING TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS?! Pick Black or White, it's the same thing...

After it, I don't like either of the following movies. Keldeo is boring af, Genesect is a mess, Diancie sure likes swerves for a cheap reaction, Hoopa is the most boring and senseless kaiju fight ever created, and Volcanion kinda saves itself a bit.

Then I Choose You came and I surprisingly loved this new direction of a different timeline. Power of Us takes its time to explore the main characters and it feels pretty well integrated, my fav movie with Entei. And Koko, I haven't watched it yet...

Of course Ash gets the best one and new kid gets the worst one lol

I want to see Iris’s interaction with the Fairy type. I was curious to see what would happen upon Iris seeing a Fairy type- Would she react the same way to an Ice type?
Georgia came one genertion early...She could have become a more successful Dragon Buster if Fairies were around. Or with the prevalence of Fairy Pokemon countering Dragons easily, it would've been a case of "if everyone is super, no one will be".

I'm interested to see how Iris is written outside of BW's writing style and BW Ash. Journies treats Ash as more competent and battle-centric again, unlike BW where Ash really was reset for the first time ever. I don't think Iris' "what a kid" will work with this incarnation of Ash, I almost expect her personality to be re-tooled a bit maybe maybe game Iris a bit closer.

I mean the same happened to Misty in her SM cameos. Not only did they make her much more girly and "cutesy" but her old temper is now completely gone (which is what she was known for), and she was also a bit less mature than she was in her AG cameos where she felt too "old" so to speak. It's funny, Misty probably went through more personality shifts than any other character (from Kanto/Orange to Johto, then to AG, and to SM), simply because Misty's old tsundere personality was basically a relic of 90's anime female characters, and that didn't really fit as we shifted to the 2000's and then 2010's.

At this point I almost view all the different Misty's as completely different characters, much like Ash feels very different in every series now. It really shows how different anime cliche's and stereotypes were from back in the late 90's and how things changed through the 2000's and then 2010's. Even May's personality felt more like a product of early 2000's (a mix of sporty/girly and tomboyish), rather than being overly girly and more polite/soft-spoken like we get with say Serena/Lillie.

Wouldn't surprise me if Iris got a rewrite but I do think "what a kid" could still apply to Journey's Ash. He's not incompetent but he's still a dorky kid which'd be enough to work off of if they still wanted her to have a catch phrase.

As an aside it's a shame the dub never brought over the assorted "special episodes". DP & BW had 2 each featuring the companions, XY had one between Clemont & Cilan.
More weirdly XY's dub did bring over Legend of XYZ and its not like they needed to have 48 episodes for a season; several prior seasons have had less than (or more than) that number. Guess they just really wanted Xerneas & Yveltal to show up?
e: Actually thinking on it maybe CN ordered 48 to get the most out of their last season with Pokemon and they just grabbed the first of the two specials?

I'm interested to see how Iris is written outside of BW's writing style and BW Ash. Journies treats Ash as more competent and battle-centric again, unlike BW where Ash really was reset for the first time ever. I don't think Iris' "what a kid" will work with this incarnation of Ash, I almost expect her personality to be re-tooled a bit maybe maybe game Iris a bit closer.

I mean the same happened to Misty in her SM cameos. Not only did they make her much more girly and "cutesy" but her old temper is now completely gone (which is what she was known for), and she was also a bit less mature than she was in her AG cameos where she felt too "old" so to speak. It's funny, Misty probably went through more personality shifts than any other character (from Kanto/Orange to Johto, then to AG, and to SM), simply because Misty's old tsundere personality was basically a relic of 90's anime female characters, and that didn't really fit as we shifted to the 2000's and then 2010's.

At this point I almost view all the different Misty's as completely different characters, much like Ash feels very different in every series now. It really shows how different anime cliche's and stereotypes were from back in the late 90's and how things changed through the 2000's and then 2010's. Even May's personality felt more like a product of early 2000's (a mix of sporty/girly and tomboyish), rather than being overly girly and more polite/soft-spoken like we get with say Serena/Lillie.
imo Misty's personality changes felt naturally progressive, after she left the team and became gym leader she gained more maturity and responsibility, and it showed in her brief returns in Advanced (also, her experience as the little sister helps her connect with Max). SM is where it gets weird, she goes back to her character in Kanto but not as abrasive, and returned to her first clothes because...nostalgia, I guess.

I think I remember that they retooled Dawn a bit for Best Wishes, she came off more mean spirited towards Ash because "haha look how much Ash sucks please laugh".

I'm not sure if it's really the test of time since we still got tsundere archetypes in anime (and media in general). We got the even more tsunder-ish Iris in Pokemon BW, which is a 2010s anime.

Last edited:
I feel like you're reaching a bit to find something negative to crucify Misty for, Scott. You say personality shift, I say development; after she got Togepi she mellowed out much like people do when they have children which is natural, so it wasn't farfetched that she lost her edge back then. Even when Togepi left her team she had Azurill as her baby Pokemon, which explains why she still retained some maturity in the earliest Battle Frontier episodes.

They nerfed Ash's skills but they neglected to bring back his overwhelming delusions of grandeur that paired nicely with his genuine love of Pokémon. Sure, Kanto Ash had little clue of what he was doing and was a supreme braggart but you couldn't help but root for the guy. Instead BW Ash was this unskilled trainer with a generic nice guy persona. So poor battler and dull personality. No thanks. So when Iris teased him and he didn't fight back, it came off as bullying. When Ash and Misty clashed both of them gave as good as they got and both had good points to make with their criticism. XY Ash was a battle bot but in return for a less active personality, we received some of the best battles in the series. BW Ash was just there and even worse than Kanto Ash in many regards. For all his cockiness, Kanto Ash never would have done what BW Ash did at Elesa's gym.

Plus, rebooting Ash was stupid in the first place. Pretending all of that hard fought experience just vanished was an insult to the character and the viewer.
This is why I stopped caring about Ash's character, not only was his skills those of a lucky moron, the kid had the charisma of a plank of wood. Ash during the first four regions had a progressive development in skill and character: in Kanto he was a novice and his pride got the best of him many times, his first League defeat and the curbstomp handed by Gary pushed him to do better in Johto, so by the time of Hoenn he took the role of mentor to May, that doesn't mean that his pride was still a flaw (like with Brawly and Drake) but he's clearly becoming a better trainer and person, scoring a notable accomplishment with the Battle Frontier. In Sinnoh he develops strategies when there's an obstacle he can't overcome, both he and Dawn learn from each other to be the best, he's quite feisty at first against Paul, but the sentiment dies down after understanding his perspective, Ash has matured.

After this there's no more progression, Ash has to rely on Iris and Cilan too much in Unova it's laughable. Against Trip there's little animosity or a feel to overcome him. In Kalos he's suddenly good at everything and super popular to make him more appealing, but this shift was so sudden from the previous season it felt like another reboot. In SM he's more playful come to the previous season (but more like the first seasons), again, not because is a natural character progression, but because the Alola arc is more lighthearted and Ash has to accomodate to it.

Georgia as well. Pop Quiz: What was Georgia's and Burgundy's last appearance and what were they doing? Answer: BW093, the end of the final mini-tournament before the Pokemon League (it was also the episode Ash & co. first meet Cameron). All they did was tell their respective rivals that next time they'll be stronger than them, left, and that was that. Aside quick cameo appearances/flashbacks they fell off the face of the Earth just before the Pokemon League having shown little character growth and boasting they'll be coming back stronger.

You'd think maybe they'd have an episode each in the Decolora Island arc where they have a more final encounter & match with their rival, but instead Cilan faced off against this random one off lady with a Abomasnow and Iris hung out with Clair (which isn't so bad, they could keep that episode, instead they could toss out the pointless of episode where Ash & Iris get into an argument that makes Iris temporary split before they both realize they were being hot-headed, thanks for wasting our time!).
I remember disliking Iris so much that I rooted for Georgia instead. Sure, she was a jerk too but nowhere near as annoying. Her final defeat against Iris wasn't something she earned, instead it was this overpowered Dragonite doing the whole job, Georgia says this to Iris but it's treated like she's being a sore loser. Also those two worked better when paired, snarking at everything like me watching this series.

800px-Burgundy_and_Georgia.png

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Would like to note that we don't actually SEE Suicune going inside the Poke Ball. It's Goh throwing the ball at a captured Suicune, cut to a Poke Ball is Goh's hands catching, and then a shot of the poachers & Ash looking shocked at Goh. So could just be misleading editing, Goh mostly always catches a new Pokemon in each episode so easy enough to edit in the shot of him catching (one of) the new com mon he gets in that episode. As for why everyone looked at Goh shockingly, well, when do you last recall someone actually using the Poke Ball in a clever way outside of catching a Pokemon? By trying & failing to catch Suicune, Goh still manages to free Suicune from the poacher's trap.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So the Suicune episode that seemingly promised Goh catching it has aired. So does he?

First off, the teaser did not lie, there was no editing trick, Goh does indeed catch the Suicune while the poachers had it trapped.

However, while Goh ran to safety as Ash fended off the poachers, he trips and Suicune lets itself out of the Poke Ball where it then runs away up a tree. Goh follows it and sees it's being defended by a batch of Pokemon in the tree. As Ash gives the poachers the slip, Goh and his Pokemon attempt to show them mean no harm, first by offering Suicune Pecha Berries to cure any Poison it has, then HP healing berries to both Suicune and the Pokemon guarding it, finally Goh notices it's leg is injured and after some hesitation from Suicune allows him to use a Potion on it. The poachers eventually find them and Goh tries defending Suicune but gets overwhelmed. Ash comes to help but Suicune gets its second wind and freezes the poachers who eventually are hauled away by Officer Jenny.

And with the poachers gone, Goh releases Suicune.

ONLY for Suicune to then decide it'll stay with Goh! So yes, Goh has indeed caught Suicune! And though it trusts Goh, I have a feeling if Goh wants to use it to battle he'll probably first need to build more trust with it. Though it'll likely just stay at the Lab most of the time.

BONUS: With that all said and done, this episode does also answer a major question many people are thought has been a "plot hole" over the years: Why don't the villain groups just use a Poke Ball to catch the Legendaries? For a while the fanon excuse was the Poke Ball acts as a power limiter and the villain team wants to use the Legendary at its full power. However, the anime has given a much more logical answer: just because someone catches them doesn't mean they'll listen. Plus with the ability to pop out of the Poke Ball anytime they please, the villain team catching the Legendary in a Poke Ball will do diddly-squat as it still won't listen to them and can still escape. Better to focus their energy on a method that will at least bind the Legendary. So good job writers on settling that debate. :blobthumbsup:

The plans of the hunters were also pretty interesting. Pretty sure with Team Rocket such a cruel plan would work.
Well, if you want to draw out a Pokemon who focuses on purifying water, an easy way to do so would be poisoning a major water source where you know that Legendary is. Pretty obvious plan, even if the poison pumping machine felt a bit much when they have a whole batch of Poison-types already (including a Muk which Ruby & Omega Ruby Pokedex description says "Just one drop of this Pokémon's body fluid can turn a pool stagnant and rancid.").

Well, if you want to draw out a Pokemon who focuses on purifying water, an easy way to do so would be poisoning a major water source where you know that Legendary is. Pretty obvious plan, even if the poison pumping machine felt a bit much when they have a whole batch of Poison-types already (including a Muk which Ruby & Omega Ruby Pokedex description says "Just one drop of this Pokémon's body fluid can turn a pool stagnant and rancid.").
I wrote would instead of won't for some reason.

It was obvious, but for Pokemon standards it's unexpected. Ok, we had Team Rocket Blowing up the Dratini sea in the Safarizone, but that was when censorship was pretty tame (even then it got censored outside of Japan).
You would otherwise think stuff like that happens more often

Anyone remember all of the Misty x Ash stuff 4kids added to the dub(inlcuding an entire song?), even in Gen III when Misty was gone(the Jirachi movie specifically.)

There was nothing of the sort in the Japanese version, reminds me of a piece of fanart from Japan that shows all of the girls that ever openly had crush on ash(no matter how minor said girls were) oogling Gen VI ash, they reeling back in horror at Gen VII Ash. Misty was not included in this art notably. This leads me to believe it wasn't even considered a thing in the Japanese anime fanbase(In terms of what is seen as canon, I mean).

Anyone else predicted that the latest episode will have Scizor in some way in it, either evolving into it or Scyther fighting it the moment it wanted to come train under the Steel Type Elite 4 member?

I thought it was pretty convinient writing wise and every episode Go has to get a new Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)