SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Anyway, Ash, Goh, & Chloe go to Freezington in the Crowned Tundra to meet up with Lillie, Gladion, & Lusamine and are possibly finding Mohn? The Mayor of Freezington looks to be involved. Boy, sure would be ashamed if the Mohn that Lillie is seeing is a mirage from a certain big noggin Legendary Pokemon who has lost a lot of its power and is desperately needing help it's willing to bend the minds of people...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hm, nothing really much to talk about. I think I'll wait for it to be finished to give my full opinion of it. Here's just some quick time stamp takes:
0:16: Hisui doesn't have the Ekans, Phanpy, and Poochyena families. At the very least they didn't show a Dewgong, otherwise they'd have to write an apology letter.
0:24: Look, we knew going into this special that it was about the Hisuian Zorua family, literal ghosts of vengence. A dead Zorua shouldn't be a surprise, though granted didn't expect to see the body and the grieving parent...
0:34: And there's the vengeance part.
1:14: A violent Pokemon? PARASECT! *Shakes fist in air*
3:05: Yes, Pokemon are creatures to be feared, that is why we let our children wear masks of them, especially of the VERY dangerous ones.
3:59: Now normally I would tell Zorua to go see a doctor about that growth, but Ghost-type so...
4:06: Brilliant disguise, Zoroark are well known for wearing human clothing.
4:35: LE GASP! How could that brilliant disguise not hold up?
4:55: Um, gesundheit? Gonna need a big tissue for that bogie.
5:44: Well the icy blue is about to get covered in sticky red (and least Zorua can't die twice, heck maybe it'll be getting a permanent friend soon!).
6:00: Um, guys, don't know if you know this, but ending credit music should last until the end of the credits.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So today's episode of Journeys has come, and it's mainly centered around Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine going to the Crown Tundra in their search for Mohn. Ash, Goh, and Chloe also go there upon Cerise learning of a mysterious Pokemon that appeared there, which was something among the lines of a Shiny Nihilego.

They do manage to find Mohn, though he doesn't remember any of them. Oddly it turns out he fell into an Ultra Wormhole long ago as we all knew back in SM, but he then ended up being found by a Shiny Nihilego, who brought Mohn back out of Ultra Space and back into the real world, but instead of Alola, they instead ended up in Galar's Crown Tundra. Nihilego lived as "Lillie" and cherished Mohn's company, but hid all mirrors and dirtied the windows because Mohn had lost all of his memories in the process and it was afraid of the prospect that Mohn would regain his memories, ,and made sure Mohn would never see his reflection.

Fortunately, they manage to find a mirror and Mohn sees his reflection and finally regains all of his memories, and recognizes his family once more: they are reunited. Even though the Nihilego thinks it will have to part ways with Mohn, it does end up being invited into the family and taken care of by Gladion, as they feel indebted to it for saving Mohn, as had it not been for said Nihilego, they would never have found him at all.

Ash, Goh, and Chloe don't do much but Ash managed to jump in and protect Lillie when the Nihilego attacked her, so Ash reunited with Lillie and Gladion today in the flesh. From there they mostly witnessed the family reunion and Mohn regaining his memories. For the most part they were a secondary part of the episode, as this episode was dominantly about Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine and this episode did manage to wrap up their search for Mohn.

Next episode will be them, along with Lillie and her family, all going to the Alola region, with Ash and Lillie reuniting with the old Alola squad. Also there will be a big Battle Royal taking place there and Chloe will meet the Alola squad for the first time!

Last month was Kalos month for JN, this month is Alola month. Alola and Kalos are thriving this year.

That's actually why I hope they keep the "world tour" format going forward. If we go back to one region again like the Spain region, most likely the anime will just focus on the current gen as usual and all old character returns will stop again.

Also since half the Galar Gym leaders never debuted in the anime even popular ones like Nessa, Kabu, etc...it would be a good opportunity for them to appear next time. I get the feeling if the writers were done with Galar for good, they would have thrown in all the remaining Gym leaders in random episodes just to finish them off even in fillers or whatever. But they didn't, so it's very suspicious.

The anime has 25 years of history now, it never made sense for each new saga to essentially "close the door" on what came before. Outside of the overall flaws the show has always had (like too much filler for each series, or Ash losing each league for 20 years), that was probably the biggest missed opportunity for the show.

What is bizarre is that Johto brought back some Kanto COTD and had regular conversations with Oak. Both Hoenn and Sinnoh either had old characters or old Pokemon reappear. It wasn't until Unova and Kalos that the old sagas felt sealed off and separated.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Probably a deliberate choice for Unova, because Black and White deliberately felt more "sealed off" than the games before them. After that, I guess the precedent was set.

It didn't really quite pan out this way, but at the start of gen 5 it felt very much like the entire franchise was getting a kind of reset.

Diantha's fighting a Dragonite so that means her match up is either Iris or Lance.

Metagross is dodging a thunderbolt which isn't necessarily anything (I think just about everyone here has either an electric pokemon or something that can use an electric attack) but obviously my first thought was Ash

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Diantha's fighting a Dragonite so that means her match up is either Iris or Lance.
You forgot Ash also has a Dragonite, lol.

Being the Dragonite is scowling I'm betting it's Iris's.

But we may be looking the most important part of the trailer: they remembered Tracey exists! Good to see you Tracey, betting 100 Pokedollars you have no voice lines whatsoever.

Also finally we're getting to see Hop... just sitting in the audience along with Goh.

And Infernape, Charizard, and interestingly Krookodile is watching Ash's first match. Now, this doesn't mean they're being foreshadowed to be battling in the competition... BUT if it were...
  • Now, being they just had a whole thing with Infernape, and Legends: Arcues just introduced a new Fire-type move that was made for Infernape (Raging Fury; and yes I know Hisuian Arcanine knows it but that's not the point here), surely at some point Ash is gonna call to have it battle.

• Ooh boy, Leon has a Charizard, Alain has a Charizard, Lance MIGHT have a Charizard (though I'm gonna say probably not). As much as I would love to see Ash's Charizard come in and stomp Alain's Charizard (and I would say Leon's but we know it has plot armor), I think we may have reached the Charizard quota. In addition Charizard really has no beef with the other Charizards (if any of Ash's Pokemon was to take down Alain's Charizard it would be Greninja), if it was to be called in for any match it would be against Iris cause it had a rivalry with her Dragonite.

• Krookodile is an interesting choice to show (and though they just showed those three in that small shot a batch of Ash's other Pokemon could be watching on the side). TBF it was one of Ash's strongest Pokemon on his Unova team so has earned its place watching Ash's match alongside Charizard and Infernape. There's a few trainers who I could maybe see Ash thinking "I need a Ground/Dark-type" for... oh who am I kidding, this is just a cameo (maybe if they were having a round robin but for a KO tourny Ash is probably just gonna use the 6 he's been using throughout this Journeys).

So I guess after the moment during the battle royale in the most recent episode when everyone started chanting champion, Ash is finally getting (willing to be?) acknowledged as the Alola champion. I really only pay any attention to the anime when there are interesting battles, so I don't know if there's been much if any acknowledgement of him being champion throughout the series so far. (I saw one YouTube clip where some people asked for his autograph), Either way, nice to see Ash start advertising the new Alola league on the world stage. :P

Made me feel like firing up Ultra Sun and seeing who wanted to challenge the champion. (Fittingly, it was Kukui)

Wait, Lance is the NEW Champion of Kanto & Johto? Wasn't he the Champion when Ash met him in Johto?
So I don't know if Bulbapedia is accurate, but it mentions in Lance's battle with Leon that he was referred to as a Member of the Elite Four rather than the Champion, so either him being Champion prior was an error or he didn't have the title at the time of Last Year's Coronation Series? Or maybe he was only the Kanto Champion and the "new" Title is a badly phrased way to denote him as being the Champion of both regions now (since Gen 2 has them sharing a League compared to the Anime having separate Conference Tournaments)?

I think the Anime Staff/PR runs with the idea that no significant amount of time has really passed in the anime (Ash still being 10 and all), so the best I could reconcile with that as a factor (albeit a rather silly market-driven one) is that Lance was Elite Four whenever the last Tournament was, and then in the intervening year's time between then and when he met Ash, he escalated to Champion

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
If we're asking about who was the champion in Kanto all this time before Lance took over, there's a pretty clear answer. Obviously, Ritchie won the entire league back in season 1, that's why we never saw him again. :smogthink:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
So on to today's episode for Journeys...it was Goh's final Trial Mission, and his mission this time was to catch Regieleki and/or Regidrago in the Crown Tundra.

Goh goes to the Tundra...and meets up with Gary Oak a third time. This time Goh really learns how to cooperate in teamwork, and he and Gary approach this mission as a team, and collaborate, including stepping on the panels simultaneously to unleash *both* Regieleki and Regidrago at once. They also run into two situations where their teamwork is put to the test: one when Lyla and Shunya from the previous Trial Mission at Sea Mauville team up and try to stop them, but Blastoise and Cinderace manage to collaborate to beat them, and then with Regieleki and Regidrago themselves: Gary and Goh start with Flygon and Hatterene to wall their respective Regis, but both go down to Regieleki and Regidrago's teamwork and collaboration, but they manage to win against them and catch them (Goh catches Eleki, Gary catches Drago), with a combined teamwork from Blastoise and Cinderace once more.

With that, Goh manages to qualify as a Chaser by being in third place, with his friend and rival Horace having done a separate Trial Mission and winning, becoming the second place, and Gary at first. With that, all the Chasers have been chose, with Gary, Horace, and Goh being the three who made it. I suppose there's not much left for Gen 8, but now it's time to see how Project Mew will conclude from here on.

Next week's episode? It's Paul's reappearance. Ash is training his mons at Oak's Lab and lo and behold, Paul sneaks up on him from the forest in classic Paul fashion, calls him "pathetic" (this time in just a typical Paul being an edgelord fashion), and challenges him to a 3-on-3 training battle with no substitutions. Time for a good ol' Ash vs. Paul match, and as a long time DP fan, I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Okay, sorry for the double post, but I have a whole lot to talk about today.

First, today's episode in Journeys, which was Paul's return. Putting it simply, Professor Oak called Ash to his lab, and Ash meets up with his old mons, and runs into Paul! Paul and Ash have a battle, 3v3 with no substitutions, with Paul using Gyarados, Metagross, and Garchomp, the aces of three of the Masters 8 members, and Ash uses Lucario, Dragonite, and Gengar.

Gengar gained something important though, which is this:

Gengar trained with Ash's Fire-types, with Infernape leading the charge. Through its training, it unleashed its inner strength to learn Will-O-Wisp, which it subsequently used against Paul's Metagross to claim victory.

Ash's old mons learn much and unleash the extents of their power from both his old Pokemon and old characters alike. Greninja and Infernape ended up training Lucario and Gengar to help them unleash their true strength in a way, Iris trained Dragonite during Ash and Iris's battle, and Clemont ended up training Sirfetch'd and Dracovish to unleash an innate power from them too. That is in addition to Lucario and Gengar gaining the power of Mega Evolution and Gigantamax respectively from Korrina/Gurkinn and Allister (the latter is a new character and a Galar Gym Leader, but for the rest the point stands). Truly, the new learning from the old.

As for Paul, we do see quite a bit of development from him in a subtle way. He calls Pokemon "partners", which DP Paul never would've done, and clearly treats his Pokemon with respect, and even shows a kinder side with Infernape: despite everything they had been through back then, Paul now respects Infernape and Infernape still has a connection with Paul. He's still aloof and distant, and very serious, and leaves in a classic Paul fashion with a back handwave. That said, we can see he's changed a lot in subtle ways. He is also revealed to have been asked to become a Gym Leader...maybe Viridian Gym? Who knows...but that's an interesting change of pace for Paul.

---

And now...the Masters 8 matchups have been revealed!

The Round 1 Matchups are as follows:

- Alain vs. Leon
- Lance vs. Diantha
- Cynthia vs. Iris
- Steven vs. Ash

So it seems Alain won't be battling Ash, but will battle Leon first thing. Presumably, with Leon being unbeatable as he is, Alain will lose. Lance vs. Diantha is next, and honestly, I think Diantha will win. Not just because Diantha has a more varied team and a type advantage with Aurorus and Gardevoir, but also because Lance already fought Leon early in the series and lost, and if Lance were to win, that means based on this bracket he would face Leon yet again and lose a second time. Cynthia vs. Iris is the third match, and I honestly think Cynthia will win for the same reason Diantha will win against Lance: Iris already lost to Ash beforehand, and unless they wanna deny Ash the right to face Leon, they won't let Iris take another defeat by Ash's hand in the semis. Steven vs. Ash is the final R1 matchup. In other words, Ash's first opponent is Steven, and based on the bracket, his next two opponents will be as I expected, Cynthia and Leon, perfectly in line with Sinnoh and Galar promotion for Gen 8 since those are the main regions of this gen between the base games (Sword and Shield) and the Sinnoh pre-make (Legends: Arceus).

Leon meanwhile will have Alain as his first opponent, then Diantha as his next, then Ash as his last.

In other words, after R1 is over, I full on expect these to be the following matchups

Semifinals:
- Leon vs. Diantha
- Ash vs. Cynthia

Finals:
- Ash vs. Leon

These next few eps will be *all* about the Masters 8 tournament. Showdown between Champions (and Alain)...here we come!

----

And last but not least, unrelated to Journeys anime, but...

Episode 2 of Hisuian Snow came out two days ago! Enjoy, and feel free to discuss!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)