SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Nowhere would do that in the series, they started moving away from real world stuff starting in gen 2 and I think they've finally retconned out real world mentions that remained by this point.

Even at the time I don't think they would have done it even without the absolutely galaxy brain executive meddling of "no one wants to see minerals come to life"

Now I get the bonkersness of the third Pokémon movie and while watching a t-rex trampling through Kanto would be entertaining, it would probably meant the end of Pokémon anime which now that I think about it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

It's a shame though that Takeshi Shudo ending for the anime didn't happen though, an elderly Ash going to sleep and waking up a boy again ready for adventure would be a nice way to close it off. No comment about the PETA ending.

Its like he wanted Pokempn to become Hunter X Hunter, and as amusing and interesting an idea like that is, I can definitely see when you main target audience is kids the higher ups would frown upon ideas like a fucking war on all of pokemon.
How do you continue a franchise when the main show turns all those good memories you built up against you?

Now thats not saying there isnt a market for a darker take on pokemon, far from it. Hell, if you adapted colosseum and xd into a seperate series im sure thousands of people would fall in love with a grittier take of the world.

Last edited:
Its like he wanted Pokempn to become Hunter X Hunter, and as amusing and interesting an idea like that is, I can definitely see when you main target audience is kids the higher ups would frown upon ideas like a fucking war on all of pokemon.
How do you continue a franchise when the main show turns all those good memories you built up against you?

Now thats not saying there isnt a market for a darker take on pokemon, far from it. Hell, if you adapted colosseum and xd into a seperate series im sure thousands of people would fall in love with a grittier take of the world.
Pokémon Adventures is somewhat of a dark twist on Pokémon. For example, Characters actually die in that series, with some notable examples being Archie and Maxie. If you don’t like the Anime because Ash is getting all the attention without character development, I think you’ ll like that series. All the regions and Adventures take place in that world, but each is set on different protagonists for every arc ( Player Characters ).

Anyway, hearing that approach he wanted for the anime, I wonder how Pokemon would be if it went Full Fantasy like Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem. Would it be for the better or for the worst? Not that it matters, anyway.

As an adult I could appreciate a mature Pokémon anime but as a child I would hate if Pikachu had to fight Ash for its right for self-determination. He identified early on what would become one of the show biggest criticism, its staleness, but his solutions would get increasingly deranged.

Besides when this would have aired the franchise was already considered satanic all around the world by a bunch of religious organizations, can you imagine the shitstorm that a war between humans and Pokémon would have created?

Last edited:
Pokémon Adventures is somewhat of a dark twist on Pokémon. For example, Characters actually die in that series, with some notable examples being Archie and Maxie. If you don’t like the Anime because Ash is getting all the attention without character development, I think you’ ll like that series. All the regions and Adventures take place in that world, but each is set on different protagonists for every arc ( Player Characters ).

Anyway, hearing that approach he wanted for the anime, I wonder how Pokemon would be if it went Full Fantasy like Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem. Would it be for the better or for the worst? Not that it matters, anyway.
Im aware of the manga but reading comics and watching stuff on screen is a much different experience. The Pokemon Generation clips come to mind, while not exactly darker cast a different and interesting light on the world. Funnily enough, even the latest pokemon movies have had pokemon straight up die on screen.

Part of me wonders if a pokemon Shonen would be possible if the main friendly anime didnt already make ao much bank.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
"TV Tokyo have confirmed that the new series of the anime has had production resume, and with this, the show resume from the latest episode in Japan on June 7th at 18:00 JST. It's currently unclear how much the 6 week hiatus will impact the anime as a whole but we'll provide all details as we can"

aight so we got a couple of options here

Either
1. The anime staff has figured out how to get it done with work-from-home arrangements
or
2. TV Tokyo is brazenly confident the recent reopenings across areas of Japan will stick
It's definitely the last one even though there's already a second surge of cases from their dumb 3 phase plan to reopen after being closed for like a month.

Oleana on the scene, and Mr. Rime dancin with time~

Although the end makes me ponder....are dynamax/gigantimax holograms or what? Or maybe japan has a different view of what a hologram is (looking at you yugioh ARC V) because it aounds like gigantimax forms are definitely real things with ecology and such

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
0:01: Looks like someone just went Super Saiyan.
0:24: You could probably splice that into a clip of Star Trek technobabble and it wouldn't feel out of place.
1:51: Sudowoodo be like "it's a living". Probably should also have a sign around its neck that reads "please don't water the plant-shaped Rock-type, likely to attack".
1:57: So I'm trying to wrap my brain around how a picture of Galarian Ponyta transitions into a picture of Rose in his casual clothes. "So in short, just as people see Galarian Variants as different from their normal counterparts, we have to make them also think the same for Rose when he goes out in his *sigh* "among-the-people" clothes. This should save us a fortune from having to pay those paparazzi Thievuls threatening to release embarrassing photos of Rose if no one believes that's actually him".
2:04: Wait, either that blimp is for some reason showing recorded behind-the-scene preparations or Oleana is in two places at once! Also hi Kabu, bye Kabu (and same for Gym Guide Dan)!
3:16: Pumpkaboo be like "it's a living".
3:18: CALL THE POLICE! Some blonde-haired guy has decapitated Ball Guy and stole his clothes!
3:30: Hi Piers, bye Piers!
4:49: "Why yes, the battle stadium I own is amazing, thank you Taxi Driver".
4:51: Looks like Melony and Gordie are having another mother-son squabble. "You aren't going out without a face mask, mister!" "I can't rob my fans of seeing my face, mom!"
5:28: Oleana would be the type that would burn off stress by going to forums and nitpicking people's posts. Yes @TrubbishHugger I know who you are, stop PMing me about my spelling & grammar!
5:46: Next up is some spooky times with Allistar Allister! EDIT: There @TrubbishHugger, I corrected Allister's name, HAPPY?

So this is a pretty interesting episode as we get a sneak peak into Oleana's (actual) past and her daily routines. When Oleana was first revealed and we were just told she was Rose's secretary and also created the Dynamax Band I was kind of confused, those two don't seem to go together. I think this helps clear up things a bit more, she was a researcher that Rose saw was a hard worker and guessing through a series of promotions eventually became both vice president of Macro Cosmos and Rose's secretary.
And geez, Rose, do you do ANYTHING as CEO? You know, aside trying to cause the end of the world in order to save it... on second thought maybe its best you keep on doing nothing. Of course I guess this does explain why she completely freaks out against the player at Rose Tower, her completely freaking out like that must actually have felt relieving to her.
Though now that we've seen more of Oleana's personal life (aka having none that doesn't revolve around excessive work) and how she interacts with others, am I reading too much into this or did they sort of write her as if she's "on the spectrum"?
Getting away from that, I like all the little cameos here and there, though guess it makes more sense here as we're directly dealing with Macro Cosmos and the Pokemon League. I wonder if the writers have a checklist of important NPCs to include and for this episode took the opportunity to strike out as many as they could.

Last edited:
The CEO not really doing anything feels true to life if nothing else, though I don't think the VP would necessarily do much more.

This did a good job of endearing me to Oleana and feeling pretty bad for her. Frankly I don't think Rose appreciates her enough and Oleana please find someone else to have a crush on, please don't go working in a Mine for him.

Although the end makes me ponder....are dynamax/gigantimax holograms or what? Or maybe japan has a different view of what a hologram is (looking at you yugioh ARC V) because it aounds like gigantimax forms are definitely real things with ecology and such
The "holograms" aren't technology-based, but are really a warping of space around the Pokemon that make them appear larger than they actually are. This is actually mentioned in the game istself on a trainer tips sign on route 10; it's the only place outside of that game informer(?) interview that I found mention of the lore about dynamax/gigantamax being holograms.

So I would guess Gigantamax is an actual form change that occurs in conjunction with the dynamax energy warping local space around the Pokemon?

And geez, Rose, do you do ANYTHING as CEO? You know, aside trying to cause the end of the world in order to save it... on second thought maybe its best you keep on doing nothing. Of course I guess this does explain why she completely freaks out against the player at Rose Tower, her completely freaking out like that must actually have felt relieving to her.
My understanding of this episode is to show that Oleana (who is very very obsessed by her job and probably extremely grateful to Rose for having found her out in the research center she worked as young) does all the organizing/paper work, while Rose who is way more easygoing actually does the "PR" work.
Which if you think of it, isn't very different from how a lot of real life government work, where the President is the one that's at every event and puts his face out, while his entourage actually works on making the system function.
Oleana is also *extremely* serious, so she'd not really be able to manage the social aspect, you even see it in the actual games where she's always very cold.

That said, I am a bit disappointed as from the intro I assumed this'd have been about her childhood and her Trubbish. I still more or less enjoyed this one, I am a big fan of those slice-of-life moments watching pokemon interact with humans in "everyday life" (also lol at the Sudowodoo in the vase, and I have no idea why there's a Whimsicott delivering paperwork), though.

It is pretty interesting that basically it is implied that Rose actually has feelings for Oleana, but she's so busy with her work she doesn't notice (or, refuses to notice due to her respect for Rose).

I still really like the fact that Rose is always depicted as a good person, because in the end he is. In the games they tried to portray the "misguided good guy" though with not exactly the best success, I am wondering if they'll do a better job in the actual anime(s) where he'll be featured, because it's a very cool concept that needs to be used better.

The feeling I get from Rose is someone who is a "good" person but not a good person. His intimidation of Nessa may have been exaggerated for dramatic effect, but the words he was saying were still loud & clear. He appreciates Oleana but I definitely do not think he truly grasps everything she does and how hard she actually works.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That said, I am a bit disappointed as from the intro I assumed this'd have been about her childhood and her Trubbish.
You do know the whole story of her "coming from a poor family & her only friend was a Trubbish" story wasn't true, right? Someone made it up on a video of her battle theme I believe and, being this was at the time the game was new and everyone was still discovering the secrets that it had, people went with it until people actually questioned where this info was in the game. Which is said, it's a good backstory which added a few additional layers to her character. However this quick glimpse of "nerd" Oleana also added character to her and we saw the moment Rose saw potential in her to be his right hand.

I have no idea why there's a Whimsicott delivering paperwork
I think the implication is it was just helping out its trainer.

It is pretty interesting that basically it is implied that Rose actually has feelings for Oleana, but she's so busy with her work she doesn't notice (or, refuses to notice due to her respect for Rose).
I actually don't think it was implying that, at least if you take a dive into Rose's personality. I'll get to that when I respond to R_N's post.

I am wondering if they'll do a better job in the actual anime(s) where he'll be featured, because it's a very cool concept that needs to be used better.
*Looks at the mess that was known as the Alola arc* And you think the main anime is going to do that? Honestly I think this might be the best we get...

The feeling I get from Rose is someone who is a "good" person but not a good person. (...) He appreciates Oleana but I definitely do not think he truly grasps everything she does and how hard she actually works.
Oh no, I think Rose perfectly grasps everything Oleana does for him. That's why he picked her, he saw she was super dedicated if not obsessively so to get things done and get them done right. And being it doesn't look like much time has passed when Rose "discovered" her, she went from (at most) a research director to vice president very quickly and I don't think Rose is one to give promotions without seeing the work done to prove an employee earned it.

But you're also right Rose is both a "good" person but not a good person.

Sure he appreciates Oleana and all those who work for him... but how much is that altruism he likes to portray himself as doing or he's manipulating those who are very talented yet easily vulnerable to charisma and/or power? As I kind of tries dancing around, it does seem the writers may be hinting that Oleana has some kind of autism, possibly what used to be called Asperger's Syndrome (and before you say I have no idea what I'm talking about, and maybe I do, I myself have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (believe me, if I wasn't behind a computer screen we probably wouldn't be talking as much) and, yeah, I really felt for Oleana in this episode). Super intelligent, serious, emotional distant, socially awkward (her speech to the employees wasn't exactly the most inspiring thing), and not asking much for return except a little appreciation. I myself am on the higher end of the spectrum so I can recognize possible attempts of being manipulated (or I'm super cynical), but I can see how someone who exhibits the syndrome similarly how Oleana was portrayed could be easily manipulated making them a very useful resource.

And all this brings me to thinking about Rose's manipulation of Bede. Bede too is a very talented kid though has his own vulnerability: a superiority complex. Like we see here, Rose recruits a young, talented, but vulnerable youth to help him do a task he's either too busy or maybe unable to fully do on his own. Bede was ordered to collect Wishing Stars and he was very capable of doing that while also participating in the Champion Cup, and he idolized Rose for seeing the potential in him. Infact idolized Rose too much, to where he wanted to replace Rose. Much to Rose's disappointment, Bede went too far in his duty and completely pulled him back. While under normal terms the disqualification wasn't uncalled for damaging a historical and cultural site, at the same time you could also maybe see it as Rose concerned Bede might blow his plan if people became curious why Bede was so obsessed with collecting Wishing Stars (and you'll notice the first thing Oleana did was take the Wishing Stars that Bede collected before taking him back to Hammerlocke).

And this is just with Oleana and Bede, who else had he done this with? Possible Leon? While on the surface Leon doesn't seem to have any vulnerabilities and does stand up to Rose when he feels he's gone too far, Leon still deeply respects Rose. His issue with Rose's plan wasn't unleashing the skeleton space dragon but that he was going to do so during the Champion Cup, otherwise he was perfectly willing to help. And we've seen Leon's other weak spots such as him having no sense of direction and is maybe a bit too obsessive with battling (to a point where he was unknowingly negatively affecting Hop). And would you look at that, with "encouragement" from Rose, Leon is the Champion and considered the strongest trainer in Galar, feeling obligated to help the people and who better to trust in doing that than Supreme Chancellor Palpatine Chairman Rose!

Long story short & getting back to point, Rose believes what he's doing is for the right reasons BUT the way he goes about doing it is via manipulating others. In addition, while he thinks he's doing the right thing, from an outsider perspective his plans are rather a bit COMPLETELY INSANE and only makes sense if you're a super rich person who's concerns are with how the future will look back on them.

And now back to the video, Rose isn't looking upon Oleana as if he has hidden feelings for her but feels more he's looking upon her like he's proud of his creation. Oleana is who she is today because Rose had plucked her from her meager position or a researcher and remade her, willingly, into a person that can run his company without him as he works to assure people remember him in the future. I'm sure he thinks he cares, but those who played the game will remember when Rose unleashes Eternatus he locks out Oleana leaving her out of the whole thing; because at that moment he didn't need her and didn't care to even give Oleana directions to follow so she's either keeping things in Galar under control or is in a safe place.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Dunno if this counts as anime or not (probably not, but there doesn't seem to be a "Pokémon multimedia discussion" thread, so I'll just post it here. There's an old-school inspired cartoon short starring Scraggy and Mimikyu that just came out, and it's pretty funny.
Wait, this was put on the Official Nintendo channel and not the Official US Pokemon channel? Why? Like, I'm glad a wider international audience is getting to see this, but still.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Yeah, as dope as that animation is...

>Huge homage to classic Western animations such as Warner Bros/Fleischer cartoons
>not on any of the American Pokemon channels

Seriously, what the hell? If anything you'd think it be the other way around where it's the Japanese channel that gets it later.

Seriously, what the hell? If anything you'd think it be the other way around where it's the Japanese channel that gets it later.
It's because the original PokéToon upload is over at Pokémon Kids TV, the official children-focused Pokémon YouTube channel that's a mix of Japanese and English content (though primarily the former). This is the only Pokémon Kids TV channel, and its content is unique and excluded from the main Japanese Pokémon YouTube channel.

So yeah, this PokéToon might not appear even on the English YouTube channel, which is a shame because this is something that Pokémon fans of all ages would eat up instantly.

[Side comment: If you're checking out Pokémon Kids TV, I suggest the recent Psyduck video. The long sleeping Pokémon lullaby video is also relaxing, and the Walking Grimer ASMR is...a thing.]

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So recent episode was...
First, Diantha cameo:

Kids, this is why you don't overfeed your fish:

Yes, that Magikarp has abs...

And so does Ash and Goh (are they referencing the Ash toy which underneath had the ripped abs?)...

Goh's Magikarp is able to jump into space...

... And doesn't come back down resulting in him losing the Magikarp Jump competition.

So anyway they then go to an island of Slowpoke where they encounter a Slowking who, through some shenanigans, loses the Shellder on its head causing it to attach to other characters heads which makes them super smart.

Until finally landing back on Slowking's head just when Goh's Magikarp finally lands and bites down it ending the episode.

Well, it's certainly references to Karp jump appli. A good thing, since it is pretty much forgotten. It came in Gen6, with the trainer using XY's style, isn't it?

But either way, next week we are going to see selfie dude Raihan no?

Magikarp Jump was in 2017 about 8 months before USUM came out

Kind of a random pull, really, but seemed to produce a gold episode so hey! Go for it I say.

e: Oh and hte second half is literally slowpoke paradise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)