SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
She also repeats a story from her book Shoko Nakagawa "Pokemon Taught Me the Meaning of Life" where she states that she didn't have any friends or other siblings to play with and so she wasn't able to evolve any of the trade-exclusive Pokémon in the game like Yungeller.
Wait, I only ever saw the "Yungerer" spelling before, and I never put two and two together.

Hi Uri.

Ledyba is definitely an underrated cutemon and all its anime appearances do it a lot of justice.

Seeing the gifs in particular really gets my nostalgia going
Indeed! I know Ledyba is not a competitive superstar, but I don't care. It's still one of my favourites. Ledyba is just so fucking adorable! <3

And that screenshot I took... Those were not just regular Ledyba. Those were newborn baby Ledyba! THEY ARE SO CUTE!!! <3
Ledyba.png

What are other Pokemon you like for sheer cuteness? For me, Chikorita/Bayleef, my favourite Pokemon. Ash's Chikorita/Bayleef is fucking amazing!

And Butterfree... I think most people here cried when Ash released his Butterfree, whether we want to admit it or not. I can't even think about it without tearing up...

Recently I've been watching a YouTube channel 'DeGRA' react to the first season of the Pokemon anime.
Today I watched them reacted to the first movie, Mewtwo Strikes Back. I had goosebumps all over, reliving experiences from so long ago. Hearing the Pokemon opening playing when Bulbasaur fought Dolphin. Mewtwo effortlessly destroying everything in its path. The moment where Ash walked like a badass with all the Pokemon behind him following him gave me goosebumps. The epic clash of pink and blue between Mew and Mewtwo. All the Pokemon having to battle each other to death while Pikachu refuses to retaliate against his clone had me tearing up. And then there is of course the moment where all the Pokemon started crying, touched by Ash's big heart in wanting to stop the fight (I find myself admiring the kid a lot). The artsyle was on point. Oh man, it was just an awesome experience.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

image.png
image.png

Somehow Brock's Geodude was allowed into the P1 Grand Prix for fighting types in ep 29 (The Punchy Pokemon). Ah yes, great idea for the rock, Brock.
Ash was being rather rude, yes, but Erika, you didn't need to deny access to the gym just because he insulted your perfume. That sounds a little petty, but then again he did insult your pride and joy of your line of work so...
I got goosebumps watching that Ponyta evolve to Rapidash while Ash rode it in ep 33 (The Flame Pokemon-athlon!). So majestic.

I wish we saw some of the 'character of the day' of Indigo return.
The ecstatically, perky Seymour the scientist. He appeared in ep 6 and yet in Clefairy's reappearance in Episode 62, a different, less likable scientist 'Oswald' appeared. Missed opportunity for Seymour.
There is the strict, tough but sympathetic and caring trainer AJ with that distinct accent from ep 8. Would have liked to see him reappear with a Sandslash.
What are other Pokemon you like for sheer cuteness? For me, Chikorita/Bayleef, my favourite Pokemon. Ash's Chikorita/Bayleef is fucking amazing!

And Butterfree... I think most people here cried when Ash released his Butterfree, whether we want to admit it or not. I can't even think about it without tearing up...
I didn't cry when Butterfree was released, but I really like it as a mon. I was really cheering for it when it tried to court the pink Butterfree.

Watching the movie, was reminded of just cute Mew was, with just that bit of mischief and its mew-ing. Come kitty, come!

Clobbopus, the wave it waves its hands around, in the mood for a cheerful thrashing. In that sense, it reminds me of Majin Buu.

Ash's Bayleef is so adorable as well. Its envy, its pouting but overall how affectionate it is to Ash. How it learned Body Slam.

My second favourite Pokemon is Clefairy just because of how adorable it is! Its cry! The metronome. The battle of slapping it had with Jigglypuff. The way it bounces up and down as if it is walking on the moon <3
I WANT TO HUG IT!

Last edited:
Somehow Brock's Geodude was allowed into the P1 Grand Prix for fighting types in ep 29 (The Punchy Pokemon). Ah yes, great idea for the rock, Brock.
Ash was being rather rude, yes, but Erika, you didn't need to deny access to the gym just because he insulted your perfume. That sounds a little petty, but then again he did insult your pride and joy of your line of work so...
I got goosebumps watching that Ponyta evolve to Rapidash while Ash rode it in ep 33 (The Flame Pokemon-athlon!). So majestic.

I wish we saw some of the 'character of the day' of Indigo return.
The ecstatically, perky Seymour the scientist. He appeared in ep 6 and yet in Clefairy's reappearance in Episode 62, a different, less likable scientist 'Oswald' appeared. Missed opportunity for Seymour.
There is the strict, tough but sympathetic and caring trainer AJ with that distinct accent from ep 8. Would have liked to see him reappear with a Sandslash.

I didn't cry when Butterfree was released, but I really like it as a mon. I was really cheering for it when it tried to court the pink Butterfree.

Watching the movie, was reminded of just cute Mew was, with just that bit of mischief and its mew-ing. Come kitty, come!

Clobbopus, the wave it waves its hands around, in the mood for a cheerful thrashing. In that sense, it reminds me of Majin Buu.

Ash's Bayleef is so adorable as well. Its envy, its pouting but overall how affectionate it is to Ash. How it learned Body Slam.

My second favourite Pokemon is Clefairy just because of how adorable it is! Its cry! The metronome. The battle of slapping it had with Jigglypuff. The way it bounces up and down as if it is walking on the moon <3
I WANT TO HUG IT!

Awesome! That is an amazing episode. But I thought Oswald was hilarious, even though that's mostly because of his voice in the Dutch dub. :P

Erika is amazing in the anime. And so is 'Ashley'. I actually know a real Ashley, and she often jokes that she's actually Ash as a drag queen... :P

And I'm glad I'm not the only Bayleef fan here.

Clefairy is adorable. And about Metronome and cuteness... Togepi!
Togetic is actually one of my favourites. I really wish we would've seen more of Togetic in the anime.

Kinda offtopic but speaking of Ledyba, I have one of these:
s-l400.jpg

A CD ROM minigame collection of math/trivia problems voiced by Professor Oak and anime screenshots to print, starring Ledyba (I recognize some of them from the Pokemon 2000 Pikachu short). I think it was to promote Pokemon 2000 since Johto was brand new at the time, and there are cdroms for other Pokémon as well.

Last edited:
Kinda offtopic but speaking of Ledyba, I have one of these:
View attachment 283159
A CD ROM minigame collection of math/trivia problems voiced by Professor Oak and anime screenshots to print, starring Ledyba (I recognize some of them from the Pokemon 2000 Pikachu short). I think it was to promote Pokemon 2000 since Johto was brand new at the time, and there are cdroms for other Pokémon as well.
Nice! Do you have any cute screenshots worth posting, that you got from that CD-ROM?

I made another Ledyba screenshot and cropped it. A perfect reaction image, much better than that Pikachu one. If anyone wants to use it, feel free to download and use. I don't need credits. It's from the episode 'Houndoom's Special Delivery'.

Maybe we should change the title of this topic into 'Ledyba fan topic'. I definitely wouldn't mind. :)

Ledyba.png

I'm just going to babble up whatever comes to mind.
In the Indigo season, Ash only won his battles legitimately against 3 gym leaders. Lt. Surge, Koga and Blaine. Ash forfeited the battle against Brock even when he was winning by acidentally activating the water sprinklers against Onix. Brock gave the badge to him for his sportsmanship. He was given the Cascade Badge and Rainbow Badge for saving the gym against Team Rocket. Sabrina, he just made her laugh. Against Team Rocket in the Vermillion Gym, those battle stands they installed would have certainly been illegal.
Ash, especially compared to later seasons, is a rather inexperienced trainer. Yet there are moments throughout in which others acknowledge him as a competent battler. This is acknowledged by the trainers in Erika's gym who were previously antagonistic towards him and even Gary was impressed by his performance in the Viridian Gym. Brock, an aspiring Pokemon breeder, acknowledges that Ash spends a great amount of care raising his mon.

I just wished we see a bit more of the specifics of Ash's training and care of mons, outside of high staked situations. Of course, later seasons of the anime showed this off quite well as we see Ash teaching his mons new moves, working out strategies and even braving through the same physical labour his mons are going through. We never saw what Ash did to train his Kanto mons. Overall, I felt disappointed by the lack of strength showed by some of the gym leaders. The two Pokemon Brock used were 4x weak to water and grass, and we are never shown Brock developing specific strategies to counter them. Koga's Golbat was easily crushed by Ash's Charmander. These adult gym leaders give off the impression that they have had a lot of experience battling, yet are so easily crushed by mons Ash has only had for months. At least Lt.Surge established himself as a threat, as we get to witness trainers running to the Pokecentre left and right with injured mons. Blaine I would say was competent, both his Ninetales and Magmar put up a good fight.

People like to use the argument that the reasons why Chameleon disobeyed Ash were tied down to the amount of badges he earned legitimately, and while it is a nice connection to the video games, I think it goes beyond that. Evolutions is established to sometime change the personalties of mons, changing their genetic makeup and chemistry in the process. As a Charmander, he always obeyed Ash and showed no visible sign of resentment against him. I notice that especially compared to Bulbasaur and Squirtle, Ash actually used Charmander more frequently in his battles. Taking down all those Exeggutors on his own likely would have boosted its ego. As a Chameleon, its pride was insulted when Ash wanted it to hold back against Paras. It gained more of a mentality of a blood knight, only choosing to fight against worthy opponents and refusing to do anything otherwise. It is still noteworthy though that it caught Ash when he was being dropped from mid-air by that Aerodactyl, so it's not like he completely didn't care for Ash. It just had a big ego. I have seen a theory that it acted so tough and distant as a defence mechanism again reliving the sense of vulnerability it had when Damien initially abandoned it as a Charmander. Damian had considered Charmander 'a weak mon'. Evolution, similar to Doctor Who's regenerations, can be a bit like a snow globe where all the snow moves around whenever you shake it. Parts of the personality that were submerged in the unconscious begin to become more conscious.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
For those of us who liked Twilight Wings (which you should) and are sad it ended, well guess who just got an expansion pass!

It was announced that Twilight Wings is getting a new special episode on November 5th.

Odd they only announced one special, I would think at least two for each DLC (unless it's going to be a special long episode which is a length of two Twilight Wings episodes thus have time for two stories).

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
For those of us who liked Twilight Wings (which you should) and are sad it ended, well guess who just got an expansion pass!

It was announced that Twilight Wings is getting a new special episode on November 5th.

Odd they only announced one special, I would think at least two for each DLC (unless it's going to be a special long episode which is a length of two Twilight Wings episodes thus have time for two stories).
could be interesting to see if they try & tie the two areas together, maybe - is there any particular lore link between them? (outside of "special areas that aren't on the galar mainland")

In the Indigo season, Ash only won his battles legitimately against 3 gym leaders. Lt. Surge, Koga and Blaine. Ash forfeited the battle against Brock even when he was winning by acidentally activating the water sprinklers against Onix. Brock gave the badge to him for his sportsmanship. He was given the Cascade Badge and Rainbow Badge for saving the gym against Team Rocket. Sabrina, he just made her laugh. Against Team Rocket in the Vermillion Gym, those battle stands they installed would have certainly been illegal.
Ash, especially compared to later seasons, is a rather inexperienced trainer. Yet there are moments throughout in which others acknowledge him as a competent battler. This is acknowledged by the trainers in Erika's gym who were previously antagonistic towards him and even Gary was impressed by his performance in the Viridian Gym. Brock, an aspiring Pokemon breeder, acknowledges that Ash spends a great amount of care raising his mon.

I just wished we see a bit more of the specifics of Ash's training and care of mons, outside of high staked situations. Of course, later seasons of the anime showed this off quite well as we see Ash teaching his mons new moves, working out strategies and even braving through the same physical labour his mons are going through. We never saw what Ash did to train his Kanto mons. Overall, I felt disappointed by the lack of strength showed by some of the gym leaders. The two Pokemon Brock used were 4x weak to water and grass, and we are never shown Brock developing specific strategies to counter them. Koga's Golbat was easily crushed by Ash's Charmander. These adult gym leaders give off the impression that they have had a lot of experience battling, yet are so easily crushed by mons Ash has only had for months. At least Lt.Surge established himself as a threat, as we get to witness trainers running to the Pokecentre left and right with injured mons. Blaine I would say was competent, both his Ninetales and Magmar put up a good fight.

People like to use the argument that the reasons why Chameleon disobeyed Ash were tied down to the amount of badges he earned legitimately, and while it is a nice connection to the video games, I think it goes beyond that. Evolutions is established to sometime change the personalties of mons, changing their genetic makeup and chemistry in the process. As a Charmander, he always obeyed Ash and showed no visible sign of resentment against him. I notice that especially compared to Bulbasaur and Squirtle, Ash actually used Charmander more frequently in his battles. Taking down all those Exeggutors on his own likely would have boosted its ego. As a Chameleon, its pride was insulted when Ash wanted it to hold back against Paras. It gained more of a mentality of a blood knight, only choosing to fight against worthy opponents and refusing to do anything otherwise. It is still noteworthy though that it caught Ash when he was being dropped from mid-air by that Aerodactyl, so it's not like he completely didn't care for Ash. It just had a big ego. I have seen a theory that it acted so tough and distant as a defence mechanism again reliving the sense of vulnerability it had when Damien initially abandoned it as a Charmander. Damian had considered Charmander 'a weak mon'. Evolution, similar to Doctor Who's regenerations, can be a bit like a snow globe where all the snow moves around whenever you shake it. Parts of the personality that were submerged in the unconscious begin to become more conscious.
Overall, I agree with your points but I have a few caveats.

1. The reason we didn't see Brock develop counters is because the anime writers really didn't have a good grasp on strategy yet to introduce such counters. Look at the Ash-Misty battle in Episode VII. They deliberately sideline Pikachu because otherwise it is a clean sweep since Misty's entire strategy was to hide in the water.

2. I always viewed it as Koga going easy on Ash by using Golbat. He was completely blocked by Venomoth earlier. Plus, he changed the battle to a one-on-one when it was two-on-two before.

3. I never got upset with the Sabrina battle. Ash didn't have a chance. Blame the writers for making Psychic Pokemon completely untouchable in Gen 1. He should have been beaten Misty and had her on the ropes and would have won if he could have used Pikachu. Erika should have been a rematch for sure. But once again the writers dropped the ball. As for the Viridian Gym battle, well, it was a farce but since they deliberately stalled Ash's development there was no way he could beat Giovanni at the time unless they decided to do a Charizard redemption arc for the Gym.

4. I agree. I never viewed Chameleon's disobedience having anything to do with gym badges. That is just the game's way of restricting strength. Chameleon lost respect for Ash when he asked him to throw the match to Paras. I do think it is interesting Charmander decided to disobey out of all the starters. Both Bulbasaur and Squirtle's initial encounters with Ash were negative unlike Charmander's. Unconventional move by the writers which paid off.

Overall, I agree with your points but I have a few caveats.

1. The reason we didn't see Brock develop counters is because the anime writers really didn't have a good grasp on strategy yet to introduce such counters. Look at the Ash-Misty battle in Episode VII. They deliberately sideline Pikachu because otherwise it is a clean sweep since Misty's entire strategy was to hide in the water.

2. I always viewed it as Koga going easy on Ash by using Golbat. He was completely blocked by Venomoth earlier. Plus, he changed the battle to a one-on-one when it was two-on-two before.

3. I never got upset with the Sabrina battle. Ash didn't have a chance. Blame the writers for making Psychic Pokemon completely untouchable in Gen 1. He should have been beaten Misty and had her on the ropes and would have won if he could have used Pikachu. Erika should have been a rematch for sure. But once again the writers dropped the ball. As for the Viridian Gym battle, well, it was a farce but since they deliberately stalled Ash's development there was no way he could beat Giovanni at the time unless they decided to do a Charizard redemption arc for the Gym.

4. I agree. I never viewed Chameleon's disobedience having anything to do with gym badges. That is just the game's way of restricting strength. Chameleon lost respect for Ash when he asked him to throw the match to Paras. I do think it is interesting Charmander decided to disobey out of all the starters. Both Bulbasaur and Squirtle's initial encounters with Ash were negative unlike Charmander's. Unconventional move by the writers which paid off.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with all your points.
Brock's younger brother Forrest put up a decent fight against Inspector Nurse Joy's Latias with his Rhyperior in DPS02. I just couldn't imagine Kanto Brock ever putting up such a fight with either his Geodude or Onix. Imagine if that Nurse Joy came to his gym for an inspection. He would be absolutely crushed (both in battle and having a broken heart).

Misty learned a lot through her travels with Ash, and I like to think she became a pretty competent gym leader. (If Misty was reading this, she would take compliment to the 'pretty part'). I unfortunately haven't seen her appearance in Sun and Moon in full yet, but from the clips I've seen, that seems true. I'm so proud of the progress her Psyduck made (she must have actively spent time training with her beloved dimwit). Her Gyarados in itself is already quite powerful and having the power of Mega evolution too certainly makes her a great threat.

I wonder just how powerful anime Giovanni is? While the Viridian Gym is meant to be ground type, the only ground type Pokemon he used was Golem. Gary did pretty well against his other mons that weren't Mewtwo. Giovanni generally sticks to the shadows (which makes sense) and I wish he had a bigger role in the story. I generally preferred him more whenever he actively spearhead operations e.g. recapturing Mewtwo in that special and capturing Meleotta in Unova). I also wonder how much influence does he have as a businessman? He owned 'Pokemon Land' from The Island of Giant Pokemon. I wonder what ulterior motives he had in becoming a gym leader? Did he wish to test out his Mewtwo against combative Pokemon trainers? Did he want to gain a more personal connection to the league so he can better keep tabs? Maybe even throw off his scent if they ever started investigating who was behind Team Rocket? Heh, know I'm thinking too much about this but it's fun.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
One of the funniest things that I've noticed is that as of Best Wishes every main villain has been the inverse of their quality in the games

Ghetsis: Great in games, ass in the anime
Lysandre: Ass in the games, inexplicably awesome in the anime
Lusamine: Great in games, not even a villain in the anime

So basically if this trend upholds expect a sick Chairman Rose arc

Also god damn, Ash is gettin fuckin STACKED this series. Dragonite, Gengar, Riolu and now potentially Sirfetch'd, just beastly I tells ya.
LOOKS LIKE THE PATTERN HAS UPHELD

But seriously, this first episode of this three-parter has already done a much better job than the games at setting up the threat of Chairman Rose and his plan. Won't go into specifics b/c spoilers but some of the stuff in this ep was genuinely pretty intimidating from Rose's demeanor to the effects of his actions. Almost as if they should've focused on one of the gym challenge or the Eternatus story in the games rather than trying to mishmash them

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with all your points.
Brock's younger brother Forrest put up a decent fight against Inspector Nurse Joy's Latias with his Rhyperior in DPS02. I just couldn't imagine Kanto Brock ever putting up such a fight with either his Geodude or Onix. Imagine if that Nurse Joy came to his gym for an inspection. He would be absolutely crushed (both in battle and having a broken heart).

Misty learned a lot through her travels with Ash, and I like to think she became a pretty competent gym leader. (If Misty was reading this, she would take compliment to the 'pretty part'). I unfortunately haven't seen her appearance in Sun and Moon in full yet, but from the clips I've seen, that seems true. I'm so proud of the progress her Psyduck made (she must have actively spent time training with her beloved dimwit). Her Gyarados in itself is already quite powerful and having the power of Mega evolution too certainly makes her a great threat.

I wonder just how powerful anime Giovanni is? While the Viridian Gym is meant to be ground type, the only ground type Pokemon he used was Golem. Gary did pretty well against his other mons that weren't Mewtwo. Giovanni generally sticks to the shadows (which makes sense) and I wish he had a bigger role in the story. I generally preferred him more whenever he actively spearhead operations e.g. recapturing Mewtwo in that special and capturing Meleotta in Unova). I also wonder how much influence does he have as a businessman? He owned 'Pokemon Land' from The Island of Giant Pokemon. I wonder what ulterior motives he had in becoming a gym leader? Did he wish to test out his Mewtwo against combative Pokemon trainers? Did he want to gain a more personal connection to the league so he can better keep tabs? Maybe even throw off his scent if they ever started investigating who was behind Team Rocket? Heh, know I'm thinking too much about this but it's fun.
Yup, it is fun to talk about.

So much of it depends on context. Brock was described as incredibly tough (granted it his father was making the description) but taken by today's standards, he is laughable. But in the context of Episode V, he is this fearsome threat and Onix towers as an unstoppable menace.

I think Misty is solid though once you take Gyarados out of the picture her team is painfully thin. Ash and Pikachu did handle her pretty easily in that SM battle. But since we haven't seen any Kanto Gym Leader outside of Forrest battle in the longest time, who knows where she ranks? If you go by the anime, the Kalos Gym Leaders would destroy the Kanto leaders.

One fun note about the Ash-Misty battle in SM which displayed the subtle writing that occasionally the show sadly infrequently produces: when Ash tells Pikachu to run on the electricity Misty and the SM schoolmates are shocked and skeptical while Brock just smiles and says something among the lines of there he goes again. And when you think about it, it makes sense. Misty only saw Kanto and Johto Ash who was still developing but Brock watched Ash win the Battle Frontier and finish top four in Sinnoh using his now trademark improvisation.

Giovanni and Persian brushed aside BW Ash but that was Ash's weakest post-OS form and Ash had to lose that battle to set up the plot. I always thought Giovanni threw those two battles against Gary to prod him into a beatdown with Mewtwo. Two simple attacks equal two losses? Sounds Seaking to me. Then again later in the episode, his Pokemon ran away after one Thunderbolt from Pikachu so maybe they just suck. LOL.

Since Ash was written to be a rookie (who apparently loved Pokemon but had no idea of what Pokemon existed in his region, yeah, yeah I know that was for the benefit of viewers but I have to laugh), we never received the showdown that we wanted. So who knows how strong he is. He looked powerful in Unova, FWIW. It is interesting that by the Battle Frontier arc in Hoenn, he had left his post at the Gym. No reason was ever given.

It is enjoyable to discuss the anime with people whose first reaction isn't: "Ash is such a noob! He gives away all his Pokemon!!"

Last edited:
Pokemon basically follows Dragonball Z formula or other shonen anime in that manner. Ash's opponents in Kanto only seemed strong because he was a rookie at the time, but if any later series Ash battled those same characters, he would have won easily. Obviously each series gives the impression the opponents he faces are stronger than the previous (even though technically they probably aren't), and if Kanto Ash battled the DP or XY Gym leaders like he did in Season 1...he probably would have not have won more than 2 badges.

It's also the same reason people wrongly remember Misty/Brock being stronger battlers than they were. In Season 1 Misty/Brock are portrayed as very inexperienced with "weak" teams but they only seemed strong because we were comparing them to Season 1 Ash at the time. The best comparison is Iris/Cilan in BW since they had the same exact roles, and in BW, Iris/Cilan would have blown away Season 1 Misty/Brock out of the water in battle. Same for Clemont or Kiawe who were portrayed as far stronger battlers.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pokemon basically follows Dragonball Z formula or other shonen anime in that manner. Ash's opponents in Kanto only seemed strong because he was a rookie at the time, but if any later series Ash battled those same characters, he would have won easily. Obviously each series gives the impression the opponents he faces are stronger than the previous (even though technically they probably aren't), and if Kanto Ash battled the DP or XY Gym leaders like he did in Season 1...he probably would have not have won more than 2 badges.

It's also the same reason people wrongly remember Misty/Brock being stronger battlers than they were. In Season 1 Misty/Brock are portrayed as very inexperienced with "weak" teams but they only seemed strong because we were comparing them to Season 1 Ash at the time. The best comparison is Iris/Cilan in BW since they had the same exact roles, and in BW, Iris/Cilan would have blown away Season 1 Misty/Brock out of the water in battle. Same for Clemont or Kiawe who were portrayed as far stronger battlers.
I wouldn't be quite sure about all that, I wouldn't even compare it to Dragonball Z's power level increase. If anything the Pokemon anime mostly ignores "power levels" and instead sort of uses the trainer's & Pokemon's experience to judge how much an advantage/disadventage/equal balance there is.

As you said, the reason Ash struggled against the Kanto Gym Leaders was because he was an inexperienced trainer, but moving on he got more and more experience. Had Ash faced the Kanto Gym Leaders again, while he would have an easier time now that he's an experienced battler, I wouldn't say he'd just sweep them aside. Same for if older Gym Leaders went against more recent Gym Leaders, they would be more likely equal in strength with the only advantage/disadvantage would be the Type matchup (which we know in the anime sometimes means nothing).

Why, let's use Ash's Gym Leader companions as an example (though I'm excluding Iris as she's not a Gym Leader in the anime). Here was there Pokemon line-up before joining Ash:

Misty: Goldeen, Staryu, Starmie
Brock: Geodude, Onix
Cilan: Pansage
Clemont: Magnemite, Magneton, Heliolisk

Yeah, Misty and Brock are looking pretty strong to me here. Clemont looks like the strongest, but if he would to go up against Brock he'd probably struggle as Brock's Pokemon are part-Ground so immune to Electric moves. Now Cilan looks like the weakest, but once again Cilan is a skilled trainer who has worked with Pansage for years and if he was to go one-on-one against Starmie, Onix, or Heliolisk I don't feel Pansage would be at that much of a disadvantage (especially as it has the Type advantage against all three). If you want to add in the Alolan companions (even though in the anime they aren't Captains, infact the concept doesn't seem to exist):

Kiawe: Turtonator, Charizard
Lana: Popplio
Mallow: Bounsweet
Sophocles: Togedemaru

Now Lana and Mallow weren't really battlers so against a Gym Leader they probably wouldn't do as well with Popplio & Bounsweet. Sophocles might has a better chance as Togedemaru is a but more sturdier though Sophocles also wasn't much of a battler in the beginning. However Kiawe was experienced in battling so would be able to go toe-to-toe with Misty, Brock, Cilan, and Clemont. But still, it wouldn't be a sweep for a long shot, especially against Misty and Brock.

Speaking of returning Mon... I actually hoped for something not too long gone....
The trio Nickit, I hoped Go would come across them again and adopt catch them, and they watch in awe his rabbit, now grown, either as Rabbifoot or Cin (if the anime opening is to be believed).

... Maybe because they're unconventionally cute compared to other foxes (being thief and all) and they'd definitely like to be with their former leader, deepening the bunny, and fed in Professor's park.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be quite sure about all that, I wouldn't even compare it to Dragonball Z's power level increase. If anything the Pokemon anime mostly ignores "power levels" and instead sort of uses the trainer's & Pokemon's experience to judge how much an advantage/disadventage/equal balance there is.

As you said, the reason Ash struggled against the Kanto Gym Leaders was because he was an inexperienced trainer, but moving on he got more and more experience. Had Ash faced the Kanto Gym Leaders again, while he would have an easier time now that he's an experienced battler, I wouldn't say he'd just sweep them aside. Same for if older Gym Leaders went against more recent Gym Leaders, they would be more likely equal in strength with the only advantage/disadvantage would be the Type matchup (which we know in the anime sometimes means nothing).

Why, let's use Ash's Gym Leader companions as an example (though I'm excluding Iris as she's not a Gym Leader in the anime). Here was there Pokemon line-up before joining Ash:

Misty: Goldeen, Staryu, Starmie
Brock: Geodude, Onix
Cilan: Pansage
Clemont: Magnemite, Magneton, Heliolisk

Yeah, Misty and Brock are looking pretty strong to me here. Clemont looks like the strongest, but if he would to go up against Brock he'd probably struggle as Brock's Pokemon are part-Ground so immune to Electric moves. Now Cilan looks like the weakest, but once again Cilan is a skilled trainer who has worked with Pansage for years and if he was to go one-on-one against Starmie, Onix, or Heliolisk I don't feel Pansage would be at that much of a disadvantage (especially as it has the Type advantage against all three). If you want to add in the Alolan companions (even though in the anime they aren't Captains, infact the concept doesn't seem to exist):

Kiawe: Turtonator, Charizard
Lana: Popplio
Mallow: Bounsweet
Sophocles: Togedemaru

Now Lana and Mallow weren't really battlers so against a Gym Leader they probably wouldn't do as well with Popplio & Bounsweet. Sophocles might has a better chance as Togedemaru is a but more sturdier though Sophocles also wasn't much of a battler in the beginning. However Kiawe was experienced in battling so would be able to go toe-to-toe with Misty, Brock, Cilan, and Clemont. But still, it wouldn't be a sweep for a long shot, especially against Misty and Brock.
Except Goldeen, Staryu and Starmie were darn weak during Misty's initial run. Same thing with most of Brock's Pokemon there. Onix went from fearsome behemoth to being knocked out by a Koffing tackle. Of course, as a Steelix, it is suddenly powerful.

Well, if Ash faced the Kanto Gym Leaders again, they would be written like the later Gym Leaders were. Tactics have advanced so much since Indigo. That is why I never found much interest in hypothetical battles (Paul vs Alain, etc). Trainers are a product of their context. If Ash fights Koga again, he is packing more than that weak Golbat. Just like how Misty and Brock were suddenly packing Mega Evolutions as to provide a counterpunch against Z-Moves.

Brock really seemed intimidating when he first met Ash with his serious attitude, it pushed Ash to super charge Pikachu to stand a chance and even that didn't work until the fire alarm. Misty was not the Cerulean Gym Leader at the time, her sisters are and they do a very bad job at it apparently, just wanting to give Ash the badge because "they felt tired", which is why Misty stepped up in their place and proved a decent challenge but not on par of an actual gym leader. I like that Brock and Misty constantly remind Ash that he didn't earn those badges properly throughout the series, so when he defeated Lt Surge fair and square with a great strategy, it proved his worth as a trainer. I do agree that Koga was very anticlimatic, maybe he wanted to go easy after Ash helped him against TR, which is better than just handing him the badge *cough* Erika. I looove that when Ash suggested if Blaine is going to give him the badge bc he saved his gym, Blaine is like "UM, NO?!".

I like to think that we didn't get to see Ash's training because he didn't put too much effort on it at the time, nothing in the Kanto adventure really pushed him far. Even at the filler episodes after the Viridian Gym and before the league, he is SUPPOSSED to be training for the league yet he goes off to some random adventures. The result: he gets a very humiliating defeat at the league. Sure, he was handicapped severely courtesy of TR, but had he used this time to properly train Charizard he would've won against Richie and reached a higher placement (Misty even lampshades this). Ash was a novice back then and didn't put too much importance in training, he learned from this experience and became more dedicated because of it.

Pokemon basically follows Dragonball Z formula or other shonen anime in that manner. Ash's opponents in Kanto only seemed strong because he was a rookie at the time, but if any later series Ash battled those same characters, he would have won easily.
I don't think so. Best Wishes disproves it having the highly experienced Pikachu lose to a fresh from the lab Snivy. From then on, the anime just runs in its own inconsistent logic.

I also think his DP opponents weren't as strong at the time of the OS. Example: Paul, he started his journey quite some time before the beginning of DP, and participated in the same leagues as Ash. Had he faced him on those tournaments, he probably wouldn't be as strong as he was in DP. And Maylene states she recently became Gym Leader, so at the time of the OS she wouldn't have been too experienced.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)