SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
enjoying the player character in this sequence breaking by doing Crown Tundra first instead of Isle of Armor
I don't think that's the case? From what I can tell this is Leon inviting everyone, including the player character, into the Galarian Star Tournament, which is only possible in-game after completing both the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra, not to mention Leon here mentions being the former Champion which means the player character defeated him. This would imply that they have already been to the IoA and become Mustard's top student and are now in the Crown Tundra and did stuff there, and Leon is inviting them in from there a la the game.

The big gist of this episode is that Leon was giving everyone, including Mustard, Avery, Klara, and the gym leaders invites to partake in the Star Tournament.

I don't think that's the case? From what I can tell this is Leon inviting everyone, including the player character, into the Galarian Star Tournament, which is only possible in-game after completing both the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra, not to mention Leon here mentions being the former Champion which means the player character defeated him. This would imply that they have already been to the IoA and become Mustard's top student and are now in the Crown Tundra and did stuff there, and Leon is inviting them in from there a la the game.

The big gist of this episode is that Leon was giving everyone, including Mustard, Avery, Klara, and the gym leaders invites to partake in the Star Tournament.
Honey has both the bulbasaur & squirtle and a Kubfu watches Mustard & Leon from the roof, which implies to me its the same Kubfu that will go onto watch you from the roof. It also sets up Mustard's comment about being ready for what's to come (which is likely the Galar Star Tournament) at the end of IoA. Meanwhile the player character is on their way to the Crown Tundra for the first time: the train is heading to the Tundra, Peonia & Peony are arguing and probably about to set up the intro scene once they get off, the Galarian Birds are heading into the tundra as well.

the easy out to all this is this Leon's been spending [?? amount of time] inviting people to the Tournament starting before the payer goes to IoA and wrapping up after the Player starts CT, then they finally arrive at the tournament after wrapping up CT.

Rose still ain't exactly a paragon of writing, but at least his arc makes sense now, which is a lot more than what the games gave him. Leon actually got some nice stuff too with him actually confronting Rose instead of "Let's have a Champion Tim- Wait, Eternatus did WHAT!?"

Proper focus and screen time does wonders for a story, doesn't it? :mehowth:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, two things:
  • Coco has been translated as "Secrets of the Jungle". Coco is also now Koko:
  • So the anime finished the Darkest Day, and yeah, things escalated quickly and we essentially finished Sword & Shield's plot early on in Pokemon Journeys (along with some character arcs):
    1. Ash & Goh catch Eternatus and given it to Magnolia who has put it in a vault (which is just asking to be stolen).

2. Ash's Riolu has evolved into a Lucario and Goh's Raboot has evolved into Cinderace. Not since Ash's Charizard has a Starter owned by a main character evolved to its final stage so fast.

3. Magnolia retires and hands the title of Professor over to Sonia.

4. Ash & Goh return the Relic Sword & Shield to the Slumbering Weald.

That said, it looks like Rose didn't get arrested?

I really gotta watch Twilight Wings.

Which would be better? Sub or Dub? I'm still kinda salty at what the Dub made to the Gym Leader Remix used for Dynamax battles.

By the way, is it just me or Go is kinda trash? I just can't like that character.

I really gotta watch Twilight Wings.

Which would be better? Sub or Dub? I'm still kinda salty at what the Dub made to the Gym Leader Remix used for Dynamax battles.

By the way, is it just me or Go is kinda trash? I just can't like that character.
The dub of twilight wings seems perfectly servicable. If changes are what you're worried about I don't think they change much of anything.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
0:24: Gotta include that Wailord just wading there... menacingly...
0:31: Oh hey, we get to see Avery actually use his telekinesis to lift people here like we're told he can do but never shown in the game!
0:37: You see, the joke here is that there's a cluster of Max Mushrooms literally on the right path of Klara, yet she still mistakes an Amoonguss for them. I guess the Amoonguss is just that good of an imposter, always sus.
0:47: GET IT CAUSE LEON IS BAD WITH DIRECTIONS (even when his destination is right in front of him)!
1:01: Wait, were we not supposed to think it was Leon? That camera pan made it look like Leon's reveal was a big deal.
2:13: Grumpy Charizard be like "I wanted to finish the battle..."
2:21: Wait, that logo on letter seal, LEON CONFURMED FER SMASH!!1!

2:30: AND Centiskorch burns the letter with its Flame Body, smart thinking there Kabu.
2:33: The new James Bond movie is looking great. I question their decision of choosing an Intelleon being 007 but Nessa would make a great Bond girl (though the makeout scene is going to be a bit awkward).
2:39: Hey, they finally showed him with his mask off!
2:41: So is that Eiscue box also for Gordie or for Melony... or is it for Gordie from Melony? Also random Unown rug.
2:45: JOJO POSE!
2:51: Eh, Bede should sound more snobby.
2:52: Geez Opal, what did you do to that pencil? Where would you even get a pencil sharpener that would do that...
3:03: Huh, the Maximizers? What are they doing in Spikemuth? I never got the impression they (or at least the Obstagoon) belonged to Piers.
3:06: ... What the heck is that supposed to mean in this context? Is Piers "I don't do encores" the same thing in Japanese, cause I feel there's a pun here I'm not getting.

3:20: Wait, interview? Is she interviewing someone or is she the interviewee? Also she's clearly dressed to go to the Crowned Tundra so why wouldn't they make that her excuse why she has to go?
3:39: Of course they'll be there, Raihan; it ain't a Pokemon Tournament unless Ball Guy is there!
4:11: AND Galarian Articuno derails the train for the evilolz.

4:24: See, I told you Ball Guy would be here! I guess it makes sense he would have a Zen Mode Galarian Darukama, very ball-ish.
4:40: Missed opportunity to have a wayward firework hit the royal dweebs and set their stupid hair on fire.
4:59: Um, why are we zoomed in on this kid? Like, wouldn't it make more sense for this to be a shot of John and Tommy? They don't make an appearance at all in this bonus episode even though a lot of Twilight Wings revolved around them.
5:06: Wow, so the hospital nurse gets more screentime in the final episode then John or Tommy, okay.

Pokemon.com is doing a series of interviews with the staff behind Twilight Wings, starting with the illustrator
https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-..._campaign=ptv&utm_term=TwilightWingsInterview
Oh, neat! I didn't think they would translate them. I already gave my thoughts on them, though with them now being translated in clearer English I'll definitely give them a second read through to see if I missed anything.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, the Mewtwo episode for Pokemon Journeys aired... and I'm getting conflicting reports.

Bulbapedia is apparently saying this is M1 Mewtwo. But their synopsis of the episode says, despite Ash bringing up both M1 Mewtwo and M16 Mewtwo, this Mewtwo doen't recognize Ash. So, wouldn't that mean this is a third Mewtwo?

Also Ash & Goh really grasp the idiot ball from what I read. After this Mewtwo explained its distrust of humans, what do they do? Ash wants to battle it cause it's a strong opponent and Goh wants to catch it because it's a Pokemon. :facepalm: As expected, Mewtwo curbstomps them and their Pokemon, though instead of popping their heads like bubble wrap it found their idiocy ambitiousness amusing so just teleported them back to Cerise Labs saying he senses great potential in both.

It's confirmed Movie 1 Mewtwo. They brought back the original Japanese VA who voiced him in Movie 1, Mewtwo Returns and the CG remake, and the official Japanese twitter made a whole bunch of posts about Movie 1 Mewtwo leading up to it, even putting the original movie on youtube officially for Japanese viewers right before it aired.

The problem is Mewtwo didn't really reference Ash or any of their history together (and there were no flashbacks either, sadly), but Ash recognized him. Also Mewtwo only battled them because Ash asked him to. Go was talking about his dream of finding and capturing Mew and then Ash went on how he wanted to get stronger, and Mewtwo agreed to battle them. After that he warped them back to the lab. Also apparently Mewtwo takes care of small woodland pokemon who were abused by humans, which is a fitting continuation of his character after the events of the previous two movies.

Also Ash & Goh really grasp the idiot ball from what I read. After this Mewtwo explained its distrust of humans, what do they do? Ash wants to battle it cause it's a strong opponent and Goh wants to catch it because it's a Pokemon.
Ah, the joys of characters as flat as Goku...

So can I scratch this off as filler? Haven't managed to watch the latest episode yet.

The show feels to me like slice of life.
Yeah, it's really weird to follow in this format now because it just... doesn't really get anywhere and yet it kinda does.

Much better for the franchise tho, since we know Ash is perpetually stuck at 10 despite having celebrated an anniversary of when he first met Pikachu and Burnet having a whole baby between SM and Journeys............................................... :psysly:

Ever since Sun/Moon the concept of filler has changed. In all previous series usually all the random eps between each Gym battle where Ash would help a random trainer with a problem or TR would swoop in to steal pokemon of the ep would be considered filler, but nowadays most eps are slice of life instead.

I guess now it doesn't really matter anymore, each ep is either important or unimportant depending on what you watch the anime for.

My second favorite Pokemon appeared in the Food Eating Episode of the anime and something odd appeared to me. Hydreigon ate with all three mouths.

You may be wondering why that suppose to be odd, but the answer lies in the Ken Sugimori Interview about Hydreigon's evolutionary line in Nintendo Dream Magazine 9 years ago.
http://lavacutcontent.com/ken-sugimori-nintendo-dream/
Sugimori: “Our designer was struggling with this one for a while. The motif was supposed to be a war tank, and the purple stripes on Zweilous’ stomach are the leftovers of that early design. Initially, the designs weren’t really working, so we put them on ice — but later on in development, when orders came down for a powerful three-stage Dragon family, they were resurrected. After some discussion, we wanted the color to be somewhat unique, so we chose colors that makes it look tough. The aim was to recreate Yamata no Orochi (the mythical Japanese dragon with 8 heads), but so many heads can make a creature look disgusting. Thus the design of Hydreigon, with one true head, and whose arms and wings give it a silhouette that still looks like lots of heads. By the way, the arms that looks like heads don’t actually have their own individual brains.”

Those "heads" aren't heads. They are hands o.O

Btw, I have noticed that Hydreigon was pretty boring in the entirety of the Pokemon anime. It's the Pokemon that you get when you grind the most to get and has a terrifying design. But we haven't seen it being menecing like Dragonite, Ttar, Salamence or any other pseudo legendary.
Yes, I know a Hydreigon almost swept Ash's team, but he was using something like Oshawott against it. And while it made sense that it loses to a fighting type, it felt laughable when it lost to Pignite, one of my least favorite Starters and Unova Pokemon.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Btw, I have noticed that Hydreigon was pretty boring in the entirety of the Pokemon anime. It's the Pokemon that you get when you grind the most to get and has a terrifying design. But we haven't seen it being menecing like Dragonite, Ttar, Salamence or any other pseudo legendary.
That's because Hydreigon is an adorable cuddly princess who needs to be protected at all costs

https://shinycaterpie.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F83233340052

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yes, I know a Hydreigon almost swept Ash's team, but he was using something like Oshawott against it. And while it made sense that it loses to a fighting type, it felt laughable when it lost to Pignite, one of my least favorite Starters and Unova Pokemon.
I imagine they were saving it for Ghetsis to use during their initial plans with Team Plasma, but when that got pushed back and eventually cancelled so did their plans with Hydreigon. "So why didn't they use Hydreigon when they did the Team Plasma storyline"? My guess they felt the time had come & gone, also the Team Plasma storyline we got was probably a truncated version of what they originally had planned so only kept the vital parts. I imagine there was a planned big battle between Ghetsis and Ash where Ash's entire party struggled against Hydreigon, but after the cancellation BW2 then came out so changed the story of Plasma getting control of Reshiram. The Hydreigon curbstomp was then handed to Cameron for the Unova League to help justify his victory against Ash.

My second favorite Pokemon appeared in the Food Eating Episode of the anime and something odd appeared to me. Hydreigon ate with all three mouths.
While I know another trainer had a Snorlax in the competition, why didn't Ash get his? Sure, Dragonite is probably a big eater, but not as big as Snorlax. I get this season they're trying to give Ash a very powerful team, but that doesn't mean they should overlook all of Ash's already powerful Pokemon he just has chilling in Professor Oak's lab. Heck, this would be a good time to have him evolve a few who have no reason not to evolve like Bayleef, Quilava, Totodile, Corphish, Buizel, Gible, Pignite (who should have evolved after beating Cameron's Hydreigon), Scraggy, Palpitoed, & Boldore. Not sure if Oshawott or Snivy would want to evolve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)