SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

While I know another trainer had a Snorlax in the competition, why didn't Ash get his? Sure, Dragonite is probably a big eater, but not as big as Snorlax. I get this season they're trying to give Ash a very powerful team, but that doesn't mean they should overlook all of Ash's already powerful Pokemon he just has chilling in Professor Oak's lab. Heck, this would be a good time to have him evolve a few who have no reason not to evolve like Bayleef, Quilava, Totodile, Corphish, Buizel, Gible, Pignite (who should have evolved after beating Cameron's Hydreigon), Scraggy, Palpitoed, & Boldore. Not sure if Oshawott or Snivy would want to evolve.[/hide]
It was hilarious to know that Cindiquil evolved after 500+ episodes into Quilava. Ever since Gen 4, I don't recall any of Ash's old Pokemon evolving in another region. By now they are past 500 more episode since since he got Quilava.
It will be pretty interesting how the fanbase will react once something like Totodile finally evolves, the only Johto Starter still in it's first state.

btw, I noticed Ash has been only catching popular Pokemon + Galarian Farfetched since the new anime dropped. Not sure how to feel about it. Happy that his team isn't filled with the same patters like in previous gens as he doesn't have a single Galar Starter himself.
And also hilarious that Go may have collected more Pokemon viarity in a matter of episodes than Ash did in 1000 Episodes.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Even if this was a series very interested in pulling on Ash's reserves for fun episodes of the day I can't see an eating contest come up and then using that as an excuse to evolve someone.
I wasn't implying that. Those were three separate points that transitioned into one another:
  1. For the eating contest they should have brought back Snorlax. It seems like they didn't do so because Ash used Dragonite.
  2. They shouldn't be excluding Ash's older Pokemon. He has plenty of strong Pokemon that are on par with Dragonite, Gengar, and Lucario.
  3. Considering this is a world tour and they want to give Ash strong Pokemon, maybe its time to bring back and evolve Ash's unevolved reserves.

It was hilarious to know that Cindiquil evolved after 500+ episodes into Quilava. Ever since Gen 4, I don't recall any of Ash's old Pokemon evolving in another region. By now they are past 500 more episode since since he got Quilava.
It will be pretty interesting how the fanbase will react once something like Totodile finally evolves, the only Johto Starter still in it's first state.
The only other notable example I can think of is Phanpy. He got it in Johto but it didn't evolve until Battle Frontier.

I also guess technically there's Grovyle into Sceptile but ehhhh that probably shouldn't count.

Even if this was a series very interested in pulling on Ash's reserves for fun episodes of the day I can't see an eating contest come up and then using that as an excuse to evolve someone.
I mean they pretty just much did that with Goh and Skwovet (yes I know the circumstances are so different and we are talking about gaps of hundreds of episodes rather than tens but it’s not like Goh actually DID anything with Skwovet to trigger evolution between catching it and now sooooo)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The MC introduced the snacks as Vermillion City's newest delicacy, Torchic manju, so pastries they are.

Those Torchic were plated very adorably! Add them to the list of anime Pokémon snacks I'd like to try. I believe the last time the anime showed off cool foods was during the Malie City field trip (primarily takoyaki, prepped and served by an Octillery).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well it's a good thing Takoyaki is made from octopus and not Octillery, otherwise it would have been a sicker joke.
Octillery Chef: "Hey, as long as it's not me on the chopping block I'd stew up my fellow Octillery tentacles all day. Now remember to eat around the suckers, if you get your tongue stuck on one it'll feel like you're rolling it over with a spongy, rock-hard tennis ball."

(Apparently two people thought of this joke, one working on Detective Pikachu and another on the main anime (SM117 "Drawn with the Wind!"))

I think takoyaki might be the first meal in the anime that's explicitly meat in.....decades??? Or something like that, I know the style guide did (or used to) specify not to show explicitl meat products forrrrrr well, the reasons we're talking.

But I suppose no media can truly resist "octopus making takoyaki"

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think takoyaki might be the first meal in the anime that's explicitly meat in.....decades??? Or something like that, I know the style guide did (or used to) specify not to show explicitl meat products forrrrrr well, the reasons we're talking.

But I suppose no media can truly resist "octopus making takoyaki"
Here's Bulbapedia's article on "Pokemon Food" which talks about not only Pokemon who have been said to be preyed upon but also people eating Pokemon.

Not to mention GF looked to have just thrown their hands in the air as some Curry ingredients are Sausages, Slowpoke Tail (though recent games made it so Slowpoke naturally shed their tails which then grow back so not too horrifying), Brittle Bones, & Precooked Burger (and who knows what Bob's Food Tin, Bach's Food Tin, and Fried Food is made of).

If I recall, an interviewer talked with GF about this and GF pretty much danced around the question, essentially saying we shouldn't think about it (as if we need any more proof that GF are oblivious about what the fans want or do).

Here's Bulbapedia's article on "Pokemon Food" which talks about not only Pokemon who have been said to be preyed upon but also people eating Pokemon.

Not to mention GF looked to have just thrown their hands in the air as some Curry ingredients are Sausages, Slowpoke Tail (though recent games made it so Slowpoke naturally shed their tails which then grow back so not too horrifying), Brittle Bones, & Precooked Burger (and who knows what Bob's Food Tin, Bach's Food Tin, and Fried Food is made of).
True on the ingredients, but the games themselves kind of never cared that much since its in the background. Predatory relationships have been a thing in the pokedex for a long time; its mostly just over stuff in marketing and such where it has the potential to be more explicit than they probably want. & obviously slowpoke tails were A Thing back in gen 2.

I'm not sure slowpoketails, the "food", even gets mentioned in the anime. Slowpoke Well & Azalea just focused on rain summoning, so you can kind of see iti n place back then too (contrast in season 1 where the gang fantasizes about eating magikarp in various ways).

Also gen 6 had fancy restauraunts (7 also had the sushi chain) where I think they expanded what pokemon they're implied to sometimes eat. ...or at least what moves they use as ingredients. Love me some toxic-infused not-steaks

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, this is interesting, latest episode gives Chloe a special Eevee: even when touching Evolution Stones it's unable to evolve (it'll exhibit a burst of that element, but remain a Eevee). Ironically it wants to evolve, having lived in a lab where all the other Eeveelutions are, even having learned Copycat so it can mimic them.

And next episode is everyone's favorite scientist who commits crimes against nature:

Hi Cara Liss, what abominations are we making today?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So, this is interesting, latest episode gives Chloe a special Eevee: even when touching Evolution Stones it's unable to evolve (it'll exhibit a burst of that element, but remain a Eevee). Ironically it wants to evolve, having lived in a lab where all the other Eeveelutions are, even having learned Copycat so it can mimic them.

And next episode is everyone's favorite scientist who commits crimes against nature:

Hi Cara Liss, what abominations are we making today?
I guess this would imply that Chloe's Eevee has the G-Max factor? If so I do wonder how they're going to delve into that and how this Eevee being G-Max capable essentially renders it unable to evolve.

Also if we see the mighty Dracovish next episode that would be amazing. I'm also kind of hoping Arctozolt shows up as well, but maybe the other two abominations will show up too. But Dracovish and Arctozolt are by far my favorite of the Galar Fossil Abominations so I hope they show up. I do wonder how Ash and Goh will react to the abominations xD. Maybe Goh will catch one of them?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It is hilarious that the anime decided to actually do a thing with g-max eevees not being able to evolve
I guess this would imply that Chloe's Eevee has the G-Max factor? If so I do wonder how they're going to delve into that and how this Eevee being G-Max capable essentially renders it unable to evolve.
Oh, wow, I didn't think of that! But, wait, then shouldn't that mean Ash's Pikachu is unable to evolve? Huh, imagine all this time when Ash gave Pikachu a choice to evolve and all the "scares" of Pikachu almost evolving... only to discover that it couldn't. Kind of changes those situations in hindsight, lol.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Kotaku had an article about this like a few weeks ago. Like Volt-Ikazuchi, I just shrugged it off. Not because I didn't think it was true, I'll be honest I couldn't quite care. While Japan closely tie voice actors with the characters they play, that doesn't mean what the voice actor does reflects on the character. If this is true, they'll recast Ash in the Japanese version. Probably wouldn't even delay upcoming episodes unless they decide to redub those (though probably not). Meanwhile international versions just keep marching on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)