SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Anyone else predicted that the latest episode will have Scizor in some way in it, either evolving into it or Scyther fighting it the moment it wanted to come train under the Steel Type Elite 4 member?
Well I would have assumed Scizor might appear because Wikstrom uses a Scizor.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, newest episode out & in both a surprising yet obvious in hindsight twist:
Goh catches a Grookey, making it the first gen for Ash not to catch any of the Starters!

Which makes sense, it fits with Goh's goal to catch every species of Pokemon and this gen Ash is more focused on making a more powerful team (and if he doesn't have to catch the Starters that leaves more room for more interesting choices as well).

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't gotten to watch the episode that aired today yet, but from what I've heard Ash's Farfetch'd has evolved and is now a Sirfetch'd.

His World Coronation Series Rank has also risen to 184. He's getting closer to the top, Master Rank soon maybe?.

Last edited:
Look I'm glad Ash is doing well, but at the same time it's complete crap that his rank rose as much as it did when most of his battles so far have been against minor characters. I know that the anime isn't exactly good at pacing, but to me it feels like Ash rose from Normal Rank way too fast and I hope he'll lose against Gary or Iris assuming that either of them is part of the World Coronation Series.

I figure that the current series has maybe a year or 2 left so there's no reason why Ash should be so close to Master Rank right now.

So, I haven't watched this new series after the first episodes, but I keep hearing mixed opinions from suggestions and groups. People either being glad with it and/or defending the anime with a sword and shield, or being disappointed and/or hating everything new that it did (focus on Go, the formula, pacing, Ash rising through the ranks offscreen, etc.).

Plenty of the detractors are guided by nostalgia and for keeping Ash in the center like it always has been (which I'm not a fan, please change your protag asap), and I'm not sure about it since this series already targets the nostalgia hard with constant references to other regions.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Episode 1153: The Detested Absol!
Absol is a pretty popular Pokemon, while if Ash doesn't get it certainly Goh will certainly get it, at the same time I could see them having Ash catch it.

Though I also checked the Japanese Pokemon Youtube channel because they sometimes post a video that's a commercial for the next few episodes, which they did:
And it looks like a certain crying water chameleon just entered its teenage phase...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sorry for double-posting, though another new episode title appeared on Serebii:

Episode 1154: Dragon Battle! Ash VS Iris!!
It's the long awaited Iris episode! Time for a (grumpy) Dragonite vs (gentle) Dragonite showdown!

Would be nice to see Iris having gone through some develop the last time we saw here, like maybe having Axew finally evolve into a Fraxure (maybe even have her Gible be a Gabite).

Also hoping we see Iris's reaction to Fairy-types.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Ash has a Dracovish, it's part Dragon, wonder Iris would think of it.

I still wonder why Iris never got a cameo back in XY when the previous female companion coming back in the next series was a tradition at that point. Yes XY was mostly self-contained but it still would have been interesting to see Iris interact with XY Ash given how different he was from BW. Same for this series since now Ash isn't treated like the "rookie" anymore like he was in BW.

I mean even Dawn's cameo in BW was rather forced since there were no contests in Unova so she didn't have any real reason to appear that season, but the writers managed to include her anyway. And besides that I don't think Iris being less popular was a factor either, because kids who grew up with her in BW would be nostalgic for her anyway.

But it's interesting to see nonetheless.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I still wonder why Iris never got a cameo back in XY when the previous female companion coming back in the next series was a tradition at that point. Yes XY was mostly self-contained but it still would have been interesting to see Iris interact with XY Ash given how different he was from BW. Same for this series since now Ash isn't treated like the "rookie" anymore like he was in BW.
And there lies in the reason why they didn't want to bring Iris in. In XY they felt like making Ash a more generic shonen hero so that Serena could have her crush on him being the "perfect" trainer. However a quick way to break that illusion would have been bringing in a former companion who knows how Ash really is, and Iris was the one who made fun of Ash the most. So, in order to keep Serena seeing Ash as this "perfect" trainer, they couldn't really bring in Iris who would quickly shatter that illusion (or at the very least Iris and Serena wouldn't get along at first in the beginning). Shame too, with them introducing the Fairy-type and there being a Dragon E4 member I think they could have came up with a believable excuse.

First there would be some set-up. In an episode or so before, at a Pokemon Center Ash will receive a call at an end of an episode though the episode ends there. Now if the next episode or few isn't them arriving to Laverre City then Ash will be shown to be excited to get to Laverre City asap, maybe even mentioning a friend of his will be there.
The episode starting with them arriving to Laverre City shows a festival being setup. Ash however rushes to the Pokemon Center asking Nurse Joy if his friend is here. Nurse Joy says she isn't sure as Ash would have to tell her the name of his friend. "Such a little kid" a familiar voice will be heard as Ash & co. look by one of the benches to the reveal of Iris. While Serena confused and a bit taken aback Iris called Ash a "little kid", Ash is still all the excited to see an old travelling companion and introduces her to Serena, Clemont, & Bonnie and them to her. Bonnie introduced her to Dedenne which Iris is shown looking at curiously.
Cut to them all sitting down on the benches assumingly minutes later, Clemont asks why Iris came to Kalos and Iris will explain that she's here for the "Dragon-Fairy Festival". Iris explains the festival celebrates the founding of Laverre City when it was just a village in a land feud with another that used Dragon-types. Laverre village was losing when during a battle a Fairy-type came in and defeated some Dragon-types. Turns out the dragon village was clearing out forest where the Fairy-types lived, so the village and Fairy-types teamed up to defeat the dragon village. With the dragon users defeated they agree to leave and, to show no hard feelings, Laverre village invited them to join in a feast to wish them well on their travels. Every year since, Laverre City held a festival where both Dragon and Fairy users gathered to celebrate and battle each other. And Iris is here specifically because of one Dragon-type trainer who will be attending: Drasna of the Kalos Elite Four.
Iris teases whether Ash knew about there being a new Type which Ash says he did & battled a few. Bonnie then says Dedenne is a Fairy-type, it taking a break playing with Axew to pose in front of Iris. Iris says she knew something was "off" about Dedenne and, after a scrutinizing lookover, says she's not impressed which gets both Dedenne and Bonnie comically upset. Iris tries to hastily backpedal though Serena shoots back at her saying she's a little kid, Serena & Iris giving each other glares, Clemont & Ash trying to calm everyone done by suggesting they check out them setting up the festival.
While taking in the sights, seeing more Fairy-type Pokemon and Iris showing her haughtiness about them to Serena's & Bonnie's annoyance, at some point Iris bumps into & knocks over a Furisode Girl. Iris apologizes as the Furisode Girl turns around to yell at her, revealing to be Georgia! Surprised to see the other, Georgia asks why Iris is her and she explains she's here to see Drasna. Iris asks the same to Georgia who says she heard about how excellent Fairy-types are against Dragon-types so as a Dragon Buster she decided to train under a Fairy-type expert, becoming a Gym Trainer under Valerie. Valerie will appear to see what the noise is about and introduces herself, Ash jumping to ask her for a Gym Battle (Iris calling Ash a little kid again), and Valerie agrees but it'll have to wait till after the festival. Georgia gets back to work and says she'll see Iris again during the festival.
Next day is the festival and we see Ash & co. having fun, notably Iris, Serena, and Bonnie playing games against each other (Iris gloating when she wins, Serena and Bonnie high-fiving when one of them win). The fashion show is announced, everyone gathering around the runway as Valerie shows off her latest designs via her Furisode Girls. Georgia is the last one to come out along with a Mawile, after showing off then openly challenging Iris to a battle. Surprised and unsure at first, Valerie explains that the Dragon-Fairy battle matches are up next so Iris accepts Georgia's challenge, Serena & Bonnie saying they're both acting like "little kids" to Iris's annoyance. BTW Team Rocket are food stall vendors just watching and commenting on what's happening.
On the battlefield, Iris sends out Dragonite and Georgia her Mawile. Dragonite starts off with a Dragon Rush but aside pushing it back has no effect on Mawile, Georgia explaining Fariy's immunity to Dragon which surprises Iris. Mawile does an Iron Head to knock Dragonite back. Iris tells Dragonite to use Flamethrower but Georgia tells Mawile to respond with a Fairy Wind, causing Dragonite to lose focus as Georgia tells Fairy are also super effective against Dragon. Now angry, Dragonite flies up and come down with a Thunder Punch, but Mawile uses Sweet Scent to lull Dragonite before Georgia tells it to finish things with a Play Rough; KOing Dragonite. Iris is utterly baffled as Georgia gloats over Iris about how better Fairy-types are to Dragon-types. A voice from the audience says she isn't so sure about that, revealing to be Drasna who says it was a wonderful match though it was clear Iris wasn't prepared to fight a Fairy-type. Georgia challenges Drasna, but Drasna instead suggests she battles Valerie who accepts. Meanwhile Team Rocket are seen planning on stealing the Gym's Fairy-types, imagining Giovanni using them to defeat Dragon-types, sneaking away to start planning.
Valerie sends out her Sylveon and Drasna sends out her Dragalge. Drasna narrates that though Fairy are immune to Dragon-type moves, they aren't immune to Dragon-types versatility and has Dragalge use Sludge Bomb. Valerie says Fairy also have tricks up their sleeve and has Sylveon use Protect to block the damage and follows up with a Fairy Wind that hits. A little shaken, Dragalge uses Smokescreen and dives in, Valerie and Sylveon unsure where it is. Sylveon starts using Disarming Voice to clear away the Smokescreen and eventually hitting Dragalge, but it responds with a Water Pusle that hits Sylveon and confuses it. Dragalge then uses Dragon Pulse in the Smokescreen, creating two shadows of itself and the attack. A confused Sylveon uses Disarming Voice on one of the shadows, revealing to be the Dragon Pulse as Dragalge jumps out behind it and uses a Sludge Bomb, KOing Sylveon. Ash & co. (+Iris and Georgia) are amazed though everyone else isn't, its explained for a few years now its been tradition for Drasna & Valerie to battle and Drasna always wins. This surprises Georgia whom Drasna tells everyone that though the Laverre village had the Type advantage it was their crafty thinking and determination which defeated the Dragon village.
They all then continue celebrating the rest of the festival until night when Drasna leaves and Iris thanking her. Iris also turns to Bonnie & Dedenne and apologized to Dedenne, both whom accept. Ash then declares tomorrow is his Gym Match, Iris calling him a little kid to Serena's continued annoyance.

Next episode is the Gym Match. The battle will probably go as it did in the anime, though with now Iris also cheering on Ash. While still a bit antagonistic to each other, upon seeing Iris actually does care for Ash does she soften up to Iris. At the end Ash wins the Gym Match earning him the Badge. Serena later on also apologizes to Iris realizing that she just has a different way of supporting Ash, Iris also apologizing for coming off arrogant when they first met... then teases Serena about her crush on Ash she doesn't hide well calling her a "little kid".

Final episode starts with Team Rocket pulling off their Gym heist and Ash & co. coming in to help save the day. The second part of the episode is Iris re-challenging Georgia, Georgia asking why should she but its pointed out at some point during the Team Rocket attack that Iris helped rescue Georgia, so Georgia accepts though confident she'll win again. However this time Iris knows what to expect and, learning from Drasna's battle with Valerie, cleverly uses Dragonite's other moves to weaken and push away Mawile, fakes a Dragon Rush at some point so Dragonite could just be close to Mawile while creating a cloud of dust, and finally finishes Mawile off with a Flamethrower. Iris celebrates as Georgia vows she'll keep training under Valerie until her Dragon Busting skill with Fairy-types is unstoppable. Iris then also leaves, Drasna having told her about Sinnoh's dragon legends and Celestic Town and so she decides to go see them for herself.

I love episodes with gou's past flashbacks, I'm looking forward to subs cause this was dialogue heavy and I definetely missed some things with my limited knowledge
This episode had a lot of interesting moments, sobble evolves but after a lot of excitement for becoming his idol inteleon, he gets deperessed after noticing it's just a lame drizzile and wants to have some time for himself alone in a cave.
Gou tells him how cool it is that he evolved and that he's a step closer to his dream of becoming inteleon but gets ignored, cinderace gets tired and forces drizzile out, making him cry, letting it become invisibile and escape from the lab.
Here we have a cool scene where sakuragi explains how pokemon can sometimes go through a change of personality when evolving (gou remembering the scorbunny into raboot into cinderace event) and renji explaining how evolving often is a way to prepare the pokemon itself to another change like caterpie evolving into metapod to prepare becoming a butterfree (I'm not completely sure if its like this, better to wait for subs).
It's late evening and Ash is hungry, gou knows how much ash cares for food and asks him and chloe to go back, instead they get ahead of gou and help him search for drizzile.
Goh has a flashback to when he was in kintergarden and the teacher asked him why he didnt wanna play with the other kids, making gou irritated not at his teacher but at himself as not even him knew the reason, unable to answer gou just cried. With his parents always busy working, gou thought about it alone while looking at the stars. Gou bets on drizzile being the same as him, after evolving it went under a big change in personality that he couldnt explain, he wanted to be alone but after being confronted he didnt know how to act and like gou, ended up crying.
The important part of the episode ends with gou saying it's alright to be a certain way without knowing the reason, there's no need to know the answer right away, without worrying about me you can stay alone for as much as you want, If there ever will be a time you want to be with someone and I could support you, I'd be really happy (again, it might be a bit different, I really cant wait for the subs to come out).
Daiki did such a good job here voicing gou getting emotional, it really sounds like a kid and I wouldnt believe it's actually a 31years old man.
The starry sky night was also such a good background making so many pretty scenes
IMG_20210416_154455.jpg
IMG_20210416_154838.jpg
IMG_20210416_151520.jpg
Screenshot_20210416-210619_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
And there lies in the reason why they didn't want to bring Iris in. In XY they felt like making Ash a more generic shonen hero so that Serena could have her crush on him being the "perfect" trainer. However a quick way to break that illusion would have been bringing in a former companion who knows how Ash really is, and Iris was the one who made fun of Ash the most. So, in order to keep Serena seeing Ash as this "perfect" trainer, they couldn't really bring in Iris who would quickly shatter that illusion (or at the very least Iris and Serena wouldn't get along at first in the beginning). Shame too, with them introducing the Fairy-type and there being a Dragon E4 member I think they could have came up with a believable excuse.

First there would be some set-up. In an episode or so before, at a Pokemon Center Ash will receive a call at an end of an episode though the episode ends there. Now if the next episode or few isn't them arriving to Laverre City then Ash will be shown to be excited to get to Laverre City asap, maybe even mentioning a friend of his will be there.
The episode starting with them arriving to Laverre City shows a festival being setup. Ash however rushes to the Pokemon Center asking Nurse Joy if his friend is here. Nurse Joy says she isn't sure as Ash would have to tell her the name of his friend. "Such a little kid" a familiar voice will be heard as Ash & co. look by one of the benches to the reveal of Iris. While Serena confused and a bit taken aback Iris called Ash a "little kid", Ash is still all the excited to see an old travelling companion and introduces her to Serena, Clemont, & Bonnie and them to her. Bonnie introduced her to Dedenne which Iris is shown looking at curiously.
Cut to them all sitting down on the benches assumingly minutes later, Clemont asks why Iris came to Kalos and Iris will explain that she's here for the "Dragon-Fairy Festival". Iris explains the festival celebrates the founding of Laverre City when it was just a village in a land feud with another that used Dragon-types. Laverre village was losing when during a battle a Fairy-type came in and defeated some Dragon-types. Turns out the dragon village was clearing out forest where the Fairy-types lived, so the village and Fairy-types teamed up to defeat the dragon village. With the dragon users defeated they agree to leave and, to show no hard feelings, Laverre village invited them to join in a feast to wish them well on their travels. Every year since, Laverre City held a festival where both Dragon and Fairy users gathered to celebrate and battle each other. And Iris is here specifically because of one Dragon-type trainer who will be attending: Drasna of the Kalos Elite Four.
Iris teases whether Ash knew about there being a new Type which Ash says he did & battled a few. Bonnie then says Dedenne is a Fairy-type, it taking a break playing with Axew to pose in front of Iris. Iris says she knew something was "off" about Dedenne and, after a scrutinizing lookover, says she's not impressed which gets both Dedenne and Bonnie comically upset. Iris tries to hastily backpedal though Serena shoots back at her saying she's a little kid, Serena & Iris giving each other glares, Clemont & Ash trying to calm everyone done by suggesting they check out them setting up the festival.
While taking in the sights, seeing more Fairy-type Pokemon and Iris showing her haughtiness about them to Serena's & Bonnie's annoyance, at some point Iris bumps into & knocks over a Furisode Girl. Iris apologizes as the Furisode Girl turns around to yell at her, revealing to be Georgia! Surprised to see the other, Georgia asks why Iris is her and she explains she's here to see Drasna. Iris asks the same to Georgia who says she heard about how excellent Fairy-types are against Dragon-types so as a Dragon Buster she decided to train under a Fairy-type expert, becoming a Gym Trainer under Valerie. Valerie will appear to see what the noise is about and introduces herself, Ash jumping to ask her for a Gym Battle (Iris calling Ash a little kid again), and Valerie agrees but it'll have to wait till after the festival. Georgia gets back to work and says she'll see Iris again during the festival.
Next day is the festival and we see Ash & co. having fun, notably Iris, Serena, and Bonnie playing games against each other (Iris gloating when she wins, Serena and Bonnie high-fiving when one of them win). The fashion show is announced, everyone gathering around the runway as Valerie shows off her latest designs via her Furisode Girls. Georgia is the last one to come out along with a Mawile, after showing off then openly challenging Iris to a battle. Surprised and unsure at first, Valerie explains that the Dragon-Fairy battle matches are up next so Iris accepts Georgia's challenge, Serena & Bonnie saying they're both acting like "little kids" to Iris's annoyance. BTW Team Rocket are food stall vendors just watching and commenting on what's happening.
On the battlefield, Iris sends out Dragonite and Georgia her Mawile. Dragonite starts off with a Dragon Rush but aside pushing it back has no effect on Mawile, Georgia explaining Fariy's immunity to Dragon which surprises Iris. Mawile does an Iron Head to knock Dragonite back. Iris tells Dragonite to use Flamethrower but Georgia tells Mawile to respond with a Fairy Wind, causing Dragonite to lose focus as Georgia tells Fairy are also super effective against Dragon. Now angry, Dragonite flies up and come down with a Thunder Punch, but Mawile uses Sweet Scent to lull Dragonite before Georgia tells it to finish things with a Play Rough; KOing Dragonite. Iris is utterly baffled as Georgia gloats over Iris about how better Fairy-types are to Dragon-types. A voice from the audience says she isn't so sure about that, revealing to be Drasna who says it was a wonderful match though it was clear Iris wasn't prepared to fight a Fairy-type. Georgia challenges Drasna, but Drasna instead suggests she battles Valerie who accepts. Meanwhile Team Rocket are seen planning on stealing the Gym's Fairy-types, imagining Giovanni using them to defeat Dragon-types, sneaking away to start planning.
Valerie sends out her Sylveon and Drasna sends out her Dragalge. Drasna narrates that though Fairy are immune to Dragon-type moves, they aren't immune to Dragon-types versatility and has Dragalge use Sludge Bomb. Valerie says Fairy also have tricks up their sleeve and has Sylveon use Protect to block the damage and follows up with a Fairy Wind that hits. A little shaken, Dragalge uses Smokescreen and dives in, Valerie and Sylveon unsure where it is. Sylveon starts using Disarming Voice to clear away the Smokescreen and eventually hitting Dragalge, but it responds with a Water Pusle that hits Sylveon and confuses it. Dragalge then uses Dragon Pulse in the Smokescreen, creating two shadows of itself and the attack. A confused Sylveon uses Disarming Voice on one of the shadows, revealing to be the Dragon Pulse as Dragalge jumps out behind it and uses a Sludge Bomb, KOing Sylveon. Ash & co. (+Iris and Georgia) are amazed though everyone else isn't, its explained for a few years now its been tradition for Drasna & Valerie to battle and Drasna always wins. This surprises Georgia whom Drasna tells everyone that though the Laverre village had the Type advantage it was their crafty thinking and determination which defeated the Dragon village.
They all then continue celebrating the rest of the festival until night when Drasna leaves and Iris thanking her. Iris also turns to Bonnie & Dedenne and apologized to Dedenne, both whom accept. Ash then declares tomorrow is his Gym Match, Iris calling him a little kid to Serena's continued annoyance.

Next episode is the Gym Match. The battle will probably go as it did in the anime, though with now Iris also cheering on Ash. While still a bit antagonistic to each other, upon seeing Iris actually does care for Ash does she soften up to Iris. At the end Ash wins the Gym Match earning him the Badge. Serena later on also apologizes to Iris realizing that she just has a different way of supporting Ash, Iris also apologizing for coming off arrogant when they first met... then teases Serena about her crush on Ash she doesn't hide well calling her a "little kid".

Final episode starts with Team Rocket pulling off their Gym heist and Ash & co. coming in to help save the day. The second part of the episode is Iris re-challenging Georgia, Georgia asking why should she but its pointed out at some point during the Team Rocket attack that Iris helped rescue Georgia, so Georgia accepts though confident she'll win again. However this time Iris knows what to expect and, learning from Drasna's battle with Valerie, cleverly uses Dragonite's other moves to weaken and push away Mawile, fakes a Dragon Rush at some point so Dragonite could just be close to Mawile while creating a cloud of dust, and finally finishes Mawile off with a Flamethrower. Iris celebrates as Georgia vows she'll keep training under Valerie until her Dragon Busting skill with Fairy-types is unstoppable. Iris then also leaves, Drasna having told her about Sinnoh's dragon legends and Celestic Town and so she decides to go see them for herself.
Well, while I enjoy your fleshed out proposal, I must quibble on some details.

1. Despite your words on Iris knowing who Ash really is. BW Ash was NOT the real Ash. His characterization in BW completely derailed the linear progress from Kanto onwards. The line of Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh displayed a consistently growing trainer who surpassed each region's previous League standing while incorporating new tactics and training. BW Ash was reset to mid-Kanto levels. He lost his tactical know-how (with few exceptions) and acted like a rookie. Look at the Elesa Gym Battle. First, Ash shows up to the battle with ONE Pokemon on hand because type advantage. Even though that meant Ash left the rest of his Pokemon at the Center for no apparent reason, he is acting like type advantage is the ultimate trump card (this coming from the master of negating type advantage), and that he just witnessed Elesa curbstomp his friend Bianca with one Pokemon. Yeah, it was a debacle. XY Ash was the reaction to the joke that was BW Ash.

2. The issue with the Fairy Type is that the games (IIRC) and anime treated the Fairy Type as always existing. It wasn't always that way. The Johto anime acted like the Dark and Steel Types magically conjured. But both the games and the anime learned their lesson. Hence when the Battle Frontier went to Kanto, the anime acted like Contests were always in Kanto. The proper decision in my opinion. Having Iris appear and act like the Fairy Type suddenly appeared would be confusing since Unova has Fairy Types. They shouldn't be anything new to her so that potential plotline is dead on arrival.

3. I felt at the time the anime was trying to distance itself from BW. Both Clian and Iris' departure from the anime was incredibly rushed and lacking in sentiment. The decision to make Ash as if he was traveling from Sinnoh to Kalos and the introduction of the crush seems to confirm that.

That being said, your episode idea is crackerjack and I really wish it happened.

Also, Ash better defeat Iris when she appears. No bullcrap loss.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
1. Despite your words on Iris knowing who Ash really is. BW Ash was NOT the real Ash. His characterization in BW completely derailed the linear progress from Kanto onwards. The line of Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh displayed a consistently growing trainer who surpassed each region's previous League standing while incorporating new tactics and training. BW Ash was reset to mid-Kanto levels. He lost his tactical know-how (with few exceptions) and acted like a rookie. (...) Yeah, it was a debacle. XY Ash was the reaction to the joke that was BW Ash.
I do agree the reset on Ash in BW was VERY frustrating (not helped by Ash's defeats by Trip, a starting trainer which is a massive downgrade from Sinnoh's Paul). There were way better ways to make Ash a "fish-out-of-water" which is what I think they were trying to do, like adjusting Unova's culture to being more "look before you leap" than "he who hesitates is lost", possibly even using Team Plasma by having them already have a presence & influence in Unova which has adjusted the region's culture to being more observational and empathic toward Pokemon (like when a trainer encounters a Wild Pokemon, instead of immediately attacking/throwing a Poke Ball at it like in the previous regions, in Unova the trainer first announce themselves and challenge the Pokemon giving it the decision to accept or run away; but that's beside the point).

So I guess we can say that both BW and XY weren't quite Ash: BW lacked his experience while XY lacked his original personality. While I didn't like SM completely ditching the story I guess maybe give it credit for bringing Ash back to his old self?

2. The issue with the Fairy Type is that the games (IIRC) and anime treated the Fairy Type as always existing. It wasn't always that way. The Johto anime acted like the Dark and Steel Types magically conjured. But both the games and the anime learned their lesson. (...) The proper decision in my opinion. Having Iris appear and act like the Fairy Type suddenly appeared would be confusing since Unova has Fairy Types. They shouldn't be anything new to her so that potential plotline is dead on arrival.
No, they did treat the Fairy-type special and this was at least Ash's first introduction to the Type, they just didn't make it a big deal.

As for the retconning Fairy-types being everywhere and how Iris didn't notice, well the only Fairy-type that we know Iris has met before was the Cottonee family which didn't really amount to much even in their debut episodes. Also, in my proposed episode, Iris is full aware of the Fairy-type so she wouldn't be surprised by them, just that she doesn't really consider much about them probably having only seen/heard a few and this is her big exposure to a whole batch of them.

3. I felt at the time the anime was trying to distance itself from BW. Both Clian and Iris' departure from the anime was incredibly rushed and lacking in sentiment. The decision to make Ash as if he was traveling from Sinnoh to Kalos and the introduction of the crush seems to confirm that.
I think it has been said before that BW wasn't that popular in Japan, especially Iris. BW is notably the last season which felt like a typical Pokemon format. XY still had shades of it but they added a whole bunch of shonen tropes trying to change things up. Finally they just decided to give up the storyline and do whatever they wanted in SM and now SwSh.

Also, Ash better defeat Iris when she appears. No bullcrap loss.
Hm, that depends. Ash vs Iris, yeah, Ash has the advantage... but I'm going to guess we're going to see a Dragonite vs Dragonite battle. Iris's Dragonite has more than enough shown its capability in battling and Iris has learned the best way she and Dragonite can work together is for her to let Dragonite do its things while providing it an extra pair of eyes & ears as well as developing strategies. Ash and his Dragonite work like a typical trainer & Pokemon team... but could Ash's Dragonite lack of battling ambition be what leads to Iris's Dragonite getting the upperhand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)