SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I just realized I'm not going to b able to watch the show on time... Feels bad man...
Also, I've watched Ash vs Shota part 2 at least 5 times. Holy arceus this episode is amazing .
I'm at work, so probably won't be able to see it either until I'm home. At least by then there might be a decent English Sub out there (I don't know if it airs with the english Subs anyway?). There is a guy streaming all the Kalos league episodes up until the first part of the Alain fight, to lead directly into the second... Leading to potential victory for Ash!

is the link :)

Okay, I'm really surprised at how anxious I'm getting over finding out if Ash wins this or not. Like, it's not real and the outcome is decided by the writers, but it still has me like:

edit: (spoilers for the League outcome)
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ash loses :'(

Last edited:

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
Can't believe I actually stayed up to watch it, but OMG amazing episode. Not gonna spoil anything else, just watch it yourselves :3

Expecting that Synchro Evolution won't ever be a thing again once the next season rolls out. Ash might get to use that a bit to fight Team Flare maybe, but when he gets to Alola, nobody will even remember that (and question why he can't sync evolve with Pikachu)

Now that I'm calm I'm going to put my thoughts on it.

This will hurt the franchise.

Pokemon go attracted all the nostalgia demographic with acquisition power, after witnessing something as soul crushing as this I hope there is an uproar and they let the writing staff that this was a bad move.

They killed their own hype for Christ sake.

I just hope they get backlash on their target demographic and even more from overseas so they finally learn their lesson. I truly hope they get it worse than with the amourshipping incident.

Now that I'm calm I'm going to put my thoughts on it.

This will hurt the franchise.

Pokemon go attracted all the nostalgia demographic with acquisition power, after witnessing something as soul crushing as this I hope there is an uproar and they let the writing staff that this was a bad move.

They killed their own hype for Christ sake.

I just hope they get backlash on their target demographic and even more from overseas so they finally learn their lesson. I truly hope they get it worse than with the amourshipping incident.
As if the writers ever paid attention to anything important, like the fanbase, the source material or their own continuity.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Requesting a wrap zone where we would be allowed to use the worst words in existence to express how I feel right now

Ok nvm I'll still express it here: the writers are just a bunch of Jean-Marie Lepen wannabes!

Why do that to Goodra... It deserved at least the double ko, instead of suffering the club of "useless in its most important battle ever"

Why do that to Greg, REACHING A NEW LEVEL OF SYNCHRO EVOLUTION with that lightning blast of the doom shuriken... To fail in the battle at the same time

Rip my hopes and dreams
And rip the hype

Wow.. not only was the result disappointing, but the battles and animation were just underwhelming. What happened to the amazing animation we saw in Greninja vs. Mega Sceptile? There were cuts every few seconds to the crowd or Ash/Alain's thoughts, which killed the flow of the battle. The background music also lacked energy, and the final blazing-rasenshuriken showed up for 1 second before losing to Zard X's Blast Burn. This entire battle just felt lazy.

On the bright side, the trailer for the upcoming Team Flare fights seems kind of epic:

Called this a few weeks back, but I couldn't have predicted the shitty quality of this episode, especially after the glorious match with Shota. What happened here, writers?

On a related note, at least the TF arc looks to be epic. Hoping Ash redeems himself here and that Zygrown takes care of business.

The trailer may look hype, but that's probably still going to be as lazy as it has been going on for a while.

This is how the anime works: Present something hype and amazing and completely fail to deliver. Like it has been for the last 16-17 years.

So on youtube this episode currently has 73 likes and 1755 dislikes...

Yeah I'm 100% done with the show now, that was probably the worst piece of writing I have ever seen. Ash's team had never been stronger, he had gone through emotional trials with himself and Greninja, he mastered a new form change and reached a new level of power in THIS episode by using the ultimate water shuriken. But Mega Zard takes the hit and KO's back with blast burn anyway! The TV show had teased and strongly hinted at Ash winning for weeks now and he was going against a opponent who not only had never lost to Ash but had never lost once at all (except 1 loss against a elite 4 member who used a water Mega) in 28 matches!! How is that character progression for not only Ash but Alain as well, who is displayed as some sort of perfect Pokemon trainer?

This episode was not only artistically insulting but the hype that they built up makes the loss cruel for those watching the series and seeing Ash's progression. Going to pass on the Team Flare arc now and the amine in general permanently. I've read many other people who are going to do the same and I strongly believe this episode has damaged the Pokemon brand long term.

I know you guys are all sophisticated and stuff and that's good but my post going to be a bit more of a rant.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT. I WATCH THE ANIME AFTER SINCE DPP AND THEY PULLED THE SAME BS HERE. They gave us such a badass freaking fight beforehand and then the next episode just make it look like trash. (Tobias was freaking stupid and the fact that Heracross didn't kill Darkrai because of plot armor annoys me to this day) I'm so freaking done with this anime man after like 5/6 years I quit because they would pull this kind of garbage and they do it again after I thought the writers were fixing all previous mistakes of the anime.

I've quit the anime much further ago, somewhere around DP where they tried to make Ash look better with Dawn&Piplup as well as using silly techniques.

I also caught a glimpse of the Team Plasma arc, where they - again - took a canon character and made sure they don't resemble their in-game counterpart at all. (The other notable example is Sabrina) So I haven't even bothered to look into XY to begin with.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
So on youtube this episode currently has 73 likes and 1755 dislikes...

Yeah I'm 100% done with the show now, that was probably the worst piece of writing I have ever seen. Ash's team had never been stronger, he had gone through emotional trials with himself and Greninja, he mastered a new form change and reached a new level of power in THIS episode by using the ultimate water shuriken. But Mega Zard takes the hit and KO's back with blast burn anyway! The TV show had teased and strongly hinted at Ash winning for weeks now and he was going against a opponent who not only had never lost to Ash but had never lost once at all (except 1 loss against a elite 4 member who used a water Mega) in 28 matches!! How is that character progression for not only Ash but Alain as well, who is displayed as some sort of perfect Pokemon trainer?

This episode was not only artistically insulting but the hype that they built up makes the loss cruel for those watching the series and seeing Ash's progression. Going to pass on the Team Flare arc now and the amine in general permanently. I've read many other people who are going to do the same and I strongly believe this episode has damaged the Pokemon brand long term.
Heh, showcases were pretty much the only thing I watch XYand XYZ for.
I dropped the show after they made Goodra leave. It's really a bad move, I don't know why the heck they do it. Very bad marketing.
I know that Goodra returns for the league, but I'd prefer having more Goodra screen time.
The only marketing done right in this series is Serena shipping and Showcases, which actually makes it quite shitty!!

Okay, let's run this through.

The Bad:
  • Losing would have actually been good for Alain's character progression.
  • The 20th anniversary of the franchise would have been a perfect moment to have Ash win.
  • Ash somehow always gets screwed over for his niceness. Remember he was the one who encouraged Alain to challenge the Kalos league.
The Good (or at least why it's not so bad he lost):
  • Alain has beaten loads of other megas. Ash's Greninja was powerful and all but it's not like they haven't faced foes that strong.
  • The bond between Alain and Charizard is probably stronger than Ash and Greninja.
  • Ash still made it further than ever before and was one Pokemon away from winning. He managed to take down two Pseudo legends too.
  • This might have been the send off for megas if they really are written out of the game.
  • Alain beat Ash like three other times.

Honestly, the writers stopped caring for the audience by like Episode 3 or 4, figuring that it will sell solely because Pokémon. If an episode can send over 800 kids into hospital and the show is still allowed to air, I don't think anything will make the anime go downhill anytime soon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, can't say I didn't see this coming. I didn't say anything last night to Fawfulmk-II's post as I didn't want to be "that guy", but I highly doubted Ash was going to win simply because what would they do if he won a competition? Like I suppose they could then have him battle the Elite Four and lose to one of them so he has reason to continue his adventures to Alola, but for now on we would expect him to always win the League and fact the Elite Four otherwise it would be disappointing. Also we have Sun & Moon being released in just a few months, we kind of need to wrap up the Kalos saga which includes the Team Flare plot, we don't have much time for Ash to face the Elite Four. But hey, Ash did get to the finals (though I argue he should have during Sinnoh and Unova, but whatever), so he's at the footsteps so maybe Alola Leag... oh wait. Er, region league after Alola?

As for how the battle ended, I now the fatal flaw in Ash's team: Ash-Greninja. "WHAT? But Ash-Greninja is Ash's strongest Pokemon"! Is it? Or sure, Ash-Greninja is strong... when the writers want it to be. Oh wow, Ash-Greninja can go toe-to-toe with a Mega! Whoa, Ash-Greninja is stronger than a Mega! Oh, wait, it just got schooled by a Mega... oh, nevermind, it's back to being as good/better than a Mega!... We never had a clear idea how strong Ash-Greninja was, mainly against a Mega. And this is what the writers wanted, a lazy way out. Had they given Ash a Mega *coughCharizardYcough* we would at least know it was even with Alain's Mega Charizard X, but Ash-Greninja, well I guess turns out is weaker than a Mega so gets curb stomped. Oh sure it showed off a bit, but that's all what Ash-Greninja, show off that the writers want to be writing DBZ. Ash-Greninja vs. Alain's MCX is like when Vegeta first went SS to fight Android 17 & 18, Ash-Greninja/Vegeta reaches a new level of strength but Alain's MCX/Android 18 is still stronger so doesn't matter. Though of course that's only to then build up towards Lysandre and Team Flare being a bigger challenge, like how the Androids was just an entree for Cell. Leaving the DBZ parallels behind, once the Team Flare starts up I'm sure Ash will face Alain again and the next time Ash-Greninja will beat Mega Charizard X now with the world in danger (and Ash isn't in the running of becoming League Champion).

Also out of the trainers that have beaten Ash at least Alain was built up to be a strong trainer we got a chance to know way before we even knew he would compete. Ritchie, Harrison, Tyson, and Tobias made their debut at their respective Pokemon Leagues and Cameron was an idiot. In the few episodes which focused on Alain we know he's smart and strong, we know his struggles, and this gave us a chance to like him. We felt sad for him when he blamed himself for what happened to Chespie, we felt dread when we saw him working with Team Flare. While we're sad that Ash lost at the same time we feel a little happy Alain won as this is a major accomplishment after all the Tauros Mulch he had to go through (though that feeling of dread also lingers as now we have a Team Flare member/Lysandre's disciple as League Champion).

We know Alola doesn't have a normal league, maybe what Alola has to offer would help offset Ash's lost by putting him in a special challenge like the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier, you know, the two special challenges he ever won in? Alola could be the thing Ash needs to get another major victory under his belt that isn't a Pokemon League so next region which will probably/hopefully have a League we could see Ash finally become League Champion... only to then get beaten by the Elite Four/Champion. Baby steps, baby steps.

I feel like the only person who isn't disappointed Ash lost. I wanted him to win, but it wouldn't have made sense.

I feel like the only person who isn't disappointed Ash lost. I wanted him to win, but it wouldn't have made sense.
Alola doesn't even have gyms so it's not like him losing gives him any reason to go anyways....it was just bullshit, the thing that pissed me off the most is how much they hyped it up AND the fact that it still doesn't even make sense to me how that freaking distructo disk did nothing to Charizard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)