SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Probably worth mentioning that just now, the first Anime episodes of the Sun/Moon series aired in japan. They started things off with two episodes at once and next week, there'll be another two at once.

Just finished watching the one-hour special episode and it was honestly pretty good. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as BW and only slightly behind XY imo. Also, rejoice: Ash wasn't reset, he's just a lot more goofy than before which makes sense... he's 10 after all.

I liked it more than XY's opening two episodes personally. We got a feel for all of the characters and it looks like Ash is still competent while still being kickass in battles.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
For those of us in the US, both the upcoming Pokemon Movie, Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel, and the first two episodes of the Sun & Moon anime will premier on Disney XD on December 5th. Early next year Disney will be the home for the Sun & Moon anime.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
For those of us in the US, both the upcoming Pokemon Movie, Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel, and the first two episodes of the Sun & Moon anime will premier on Disney XD on December 5th. Early next year Disney will be the home for the Sun & Moon anime.
Wait, really? The show has been on Cartoon Network for years and now Disney of all places has it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Wait, really? The show has been on Cartoon Network for years and now Disney of all places has it.
Well someone pointed out that Disney airs Yo-kai Watch! and since the newest anime season looks to be taking cues from Yo-kai Watch! it's possible either Disney thought the new tone would fit Disney's or they didn't want a competition to Yo-kai Watch!.

Of course then you see how Pokemon USA is advertising the movie and anime. Bless their heart, they try to make them seem epic:

I will never not cringe at lines such as "Pikachu, lets show them what we can do!", other than that I actually dig the trailer--obviously doesn't give you the vibe the new anime actually has, but the fact that they tried to make it seem epic, of all things, is hilarious.

They went full Hollywood with that trailer, it just doesn't fit with the japanese trailer, is this a situation of Kirby is a badass in the West like with the DBZ dub vs the womanly voice of Goku in Japan?

Such a shame I don't have Disney XD… But then again, why am I complaining? The new episodes were uploaded to you tube When I woke up. And seriously, why is Ash going to school? He's competed in 6 leagues already. Don't you think he knows everything about Pokemon now?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Such a shame I don't have Disney XD… But then again, why am I complaining? The new episodes were uploaded to you tube When I woke up. And seriously, why is Ash going to school? He's competed in 6 leagues already. Don't you think he knows everything about Pokemon now?
Competed in 6 Leagues... and lost in each of them, despite having gotten so close the last few regions. Now the winners of the league is always someone older than Ash, which could mean that though Ash is skilled he may not have the wisdom or even the maturity (he often lets his emotion controls his actions) needed to fully win. Maybe spending a year in school would not only help him focus on his technique but also at least age him a year, giving him a better chance of winning next region's League...

That AND Yo-Kai Watch!, Pokemon's closest competitor at the moment and a show which the anime studio which makes Pokemon also makes, is really popular (in Japan) and that's both a monster catching and a slice of life show (with a much more cartoon-y style as well). Even with the high praise this season of Pokemon got it's probably not getting the views wanted (either altogether or from the targeted audience) so why not copy another show they have which is?

And since Sun & Moon isn't your normal Pokemon game they can get away with it, just get rid of the Island Challenge and recycle the characters there for whatever you need them for (such like making the Grass, Fire, Water, and Electric captains Ash's school mates, aka his new companions (plus Lillie)). Hopefully this means maye they'll focus more on the plot concerning Team Skull, the Aether Foundation, and the Ultra Beasts.

I watched only episode 1 as of now from SM. I felt the animation was amazingly fluent for the most part and there were less still images. I can see myself getting used to it. I am curious what the anime has in store for Ash after he got the Z-Ring from Tabu Koko.
Maybe they go on the Yugioh Arc V route in some way (that anime is awesome btw)

I checked out the SM anime earlier today, loved it a lot more than I expected. It's great to see that team rocket is goofy again and the dynamic between mmikyu and pikachu is great. Definitely gonna keep watching.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this is the first in a long time that I've really been attracted to the idea of keeping up with the pokemon anime. I've heard people say they were put off by the new character design of ash, but it's actually been a great fit for the show. animation and character movement feels so much smoother than the almost rigid, recycled movements of the old style. I absolutely love the vibrant colors and personality that they've put into the show so far without really toppling any of the pillars the show had been built around for years.

I'm not passing any judgment on story yet, but it's a Pokemon anime--I'm not going to try and expect them to throw something wildly engaging my way. I'll be happy as long as they can take advantage of the formula changes done in the games and apply them to their own story to provide something fresh and unique.

I'm also excited to see how the trial will work out considering Ash's classmates consist of several of the in-game captains. I could easily see something like anime-only canon family members akin to the Cerulean sisters.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Surprisingly, I too liked all of the episodes which have been aired yet. I mean the animation is fluent, they have made the show pretty funny and made pikachu chubby again :).. Moreover liking this whole alolan theme and rowlett is actually cute af in anime as well.

Thought the recent episode was pretty good, though I can't help but feel the writers are begging for the fans to ship most of the female characters with Ash and Pikachu after this episode.

Thought the recent episode was pretty good, though I can't help but feel the writers are begging for the fans to ship most of the female characters with Ash and Pikachu after this episode.
Wouldn't be surprised. It's easy to get a few laughs from failed romance/advances. I laughed a fair bit at Lana's reaction to her sisters asking if Ash was her boyfriend.

I thought the episode wasn't the best, kinda felt like Sophocles could have used a bit more attention (all I've gathered from him was he's afraid of the dark and he may be outwardly arrogant but have insecurities, shown where he's hesitant to admit he's getting ice cream). Bewear is starting to get a little old, but I put that down to Team Rocket just being there and I've started to grown tired of them (they're confirmed for next week too smh).

Was a fun episode though. I liked that Ash is suffering because of his reckless behavior (jumping off the balcony, running round corners without looking). Kinda seemed impervious to danger in XY(&Z) (he should have been dead after jumping off buildings/mountains/into volcanoes). Also, the fact he's got a personality this time round sits well with me.

Although that might be me being too critical of XY (I've mixed feelings on that).

I am starting to like this a lot more than XY&Z. The character interactions so far feel more natural than any season of Pokemon. XY felt stiff when it came to interactions most at the time. I really enjoy the humor besides the jokes of Alolan Oak. Those puns are going to be troublesome to translate in the dubs but I doubt anyone will even pay attention to that.
This is also the first time in a long time I enjoy seeing Team Rocket on screen.

But I really hope they move past the school arc. It will be a waste if Ash doesn't explore the lore of Alola this entire anime and since he wants to master Z-Move, I think that is same to assume that will happen.

I am starting to like this a lot more than XY&Z. The character interactions so far feel more natural than any season of Pokemon. XY felt stiff when it came to interactions most at the time. I really enjoy the humor besides the jokes of Alolan Oak. Those puns are going to be troublesome to translate in the dubs but I doubt anyone will even pay attention to that.
This is also the first time in a long time I enjoy seeing Team Rocket on screen.

But I really hope they move past the school arc. It will be a waste if Ash doesn't explore the lore of Alola this entire anime and since he wants to master Z-Move, I think that is same to assume that will happen.
Honestly thinking that the whole Island Challenge thing could be made as a school trip.

In the upcoming episodes he'll meet Hala and find out about the island trials, so it's pretty safe to assume that he'll soon start his journey in Alola. Thinking about it, this whole slice-of-life subarc actually makes sense and is very in line with the games: in Pokemon SM you literally go to school before doing anything else.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In the upcoming episodes he'll meet Hala and find out about the island trials, so it's pretty safe to assume that he'll soon start his journey in Alola. Thinking about it, this whole slice-of-life subarc actually makes sense and is very in line with the games: in Pokemon SM you literally go to school before doing anything else.
Oh, they are doing the Island Challenge? Huh, I guess the Trainer School was not only a reference to the games visit to the Trainer School but also maybe an excuse to get Ash on the Island Challenge. You need to be living in Alola to take the Island Challenge and now Ash is technically living in Alola. And I guess there should be no problem with having Lana, Kiawe, Mallow, and Sophocles being Captains.

How is Lillie like in the anime? From what I read it doesn't sound like she could be hiding Cosmog so I wonder how the plot is going to progress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)