SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Piplup & Lucario are among the most popular Pokémon of all time so their placement in the movie didn’t seem weird to me at all.er.
Piplup and Lucario were definitely the most promoted Sinnoh pokemon...but of all time? I'm not sure. I think the Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, are still more well known.

I honestly think the only reason Dawn's Piplup was so promoted is because originally they might have planned to evolve it like May's Torchic, but then changed their minds when they saw how marketable it could be as a Piplup. It might also have to be that they wanted May to grow more visibly stronger with her starter evolving, whereas Dawn always had more of a performer aspect in her battle style so they had no reason to evolve it.

Although it's weird as hell to think of DP pokemon as "10 years old" now given it's from 2006/2007. I honestly remember when DP was the recent gen just airing, hard to believe that was a decade ago now.

Sorren is not Brock. They have some similarities, in that they are both the more mature and know some things, but Brock doesn't start off healing Pokémon and wanting to be a Professor. Their goals, while similar, are different.

I loved the movie as a whole.

And about SM48, oh boy, what an episode. Really liked it, and I'm looking forward to the next one. They are really pushing this "Faba is evil" thing.

I never followed the Japanese episodes before, have they always changed so much the openings? There are lots of details that have changed from the first to the latest one.

I think you’re underestimating how big those Pokémon were. Jigglypuff wasn’t that popular,& Mewtwo was shown but obviously not going to be the focus.
Piplup and Lucario were definitely the most promoted Sinnoh pokemon...but of all time? I'm not sure. I think the Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, are still more well known.

I honestly think the only reason Dawn's Piplup was so promoted is because originally they might have planned to evolve it like May's Torchic, but then changed their minds when they saw how marketable it could be as a Piplup. It might also have to be that they wanted May to grow more visibly stronger with her starter evolving, whereas Dawn always had more of a performer aspect in her battle style so they had no reason to evolve it.

Although it's weird as hell to think of DP pokemon as "10 years old" now given it's from 2006/2007. I honestly remember when DP was the recent gen just airing, hard to believe that was a decade ago now.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think you’re underestimating how big those Pokémon were. Jigglypuff wasn’t that popular,& Mewtwo was shown but obviously not going to be the focus.
Charizard.

Anyway, so the recent episode turned expectations on its head:
Lusamine indeed was good. After Faba takes away Type: Null, Gladion comes right to Lusamine and together they find Type: Null and save Ash & Lillie.

Also looks like upon remembering what happened on that day, Lillie is no longer afraid to touch Pokemon (yeah, a bit too convenient but whatever).

Course, next episode's teaser reveals Faba still isn't quite done being the heel yet. Course Lusamine turning out to be good does make me wonder if they're going to do Mother Beast (if they do probably won't be a willing transformation).

Charizard.

Anyway, so the recent episode turned expectations on its head:
Lusamine indeed was good. After Faba takes away Type: Null, Gladion comes right to Lusamine and together they find Type: Null and save Ash & Lillie.

Also looks like upon remembering what happened on that day, Lillie is no longer afraid to touch Pokemon (yeah, a bit too convenient but whatever).

Course, next episode's teaser reveals Faba still isn't quite done being the heel yet. Course Lusamine turning out to be good does make me wonder if they're going to do Mother Beast (if they do probably won't be a willing transformation).

Charizard is used by Ash in the movie. He pretty much only uses Charizard, Pikachu, & Caterpie.

Holy Sh#t! SM episode 49 was g r e a t
I've wondering this whole time how on earth did Lusamine not know what caused Lillie to be afraid of touching pokemon and today I finally got the answer: she's just a bad mom.

Gladion to Lusamine:
FABA MIGHT'VE LIED AND TRIED TO HIDE THE TRUTH FROM YOU, BUT AS HER MOTHER YOU SHOULD'VE!!..." D:<
Oh wow, damn. He just went and told her.

Course Lusamine turning out to be good does make me wonder if they're going to do Mother Beast (if they do probably won't be a willing transformation).
USUM dropped the whole Mother Beast thing and the anime seems to align with USUM so I really doubt it'll happen or even be mentioned at all.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Holy Sh#t! SM episode 49 was g r e a t
I've wondering this whole time how on earth did Lusamine not know what caused Lillie to be afraid of touching pokemon and today I finally got the answer: she's just a bad mom.

Gladion to Lusamine:

Oh wow, damn. He just went and told her.
The more we learn of their family the more dysfunctional it seems to be...

Trailer for the next episode:
0:04: Litten be like "I liked you better when you were traumatized."
0:22: And Faba is now a magical girl. *shudders*

Last edited:
So, I had to deal with one important thing and ugh headaches from this, but anyway.....

It seems like Lusamine might be indeed innocent in term of her relationship with Lilie, awfully intruding privacy and business nonwithstanding, but she does have an interest to Ultra Beasts since little as Gladio accused her of, and while she apologised to Lilie, it remained that she was almost completely clueless about the underground project and she may have problems herself. Yup, her workaholics got Lilie abandoned and suffering from that incident (although that's also opposite of the game where she practically latched on her until she ran away). I have a bad feeling about how it'll turn out (although it's great as storytelling might go, as long as it is not rushed). If the latest episode title guide is taken, they could then turn Lusamine into victim of brainwashing by that symbiont and we get instant Mother Beast.
One thing for sure is that Lusamine here is really different from the games even with the theories that doubt her innocence (rightly considering the games), with her not even having anything to do with Type: Null other than knowing it and told lie about.

Another interesting point is that due to anime having to run in limited time, they compress Type: Null's origin. In the games, Type: Null was indeed a failed project that goes uncontrollable without the helm-mask thing until Gladio (and players who got given the second one) took him and it managed to evolve with friendship. In the anime, all we know is that it is to suppress its power without any underlying reason other than suppressing it and he said it was not a failure and Lusamine was given a lie about how the project went, and it just broke that helmet (althogh it could be breaking that helmet to rescue Lilie again).

Anyway, in the future too, hopefully Lusamine, if brainwashed while she was sucked into the wormhole requiring that Operation Rescue, won't be immediately be rescued in just one go. So far we have only seen one Ultra Beast (aside of Nebby, of course). I'm kinda hoping more of them are going to show up too and this is not going to be over way so soon.

Also, for the next episode... I know it is called Pokemon Sun & Moon, but DAMMIT SAUBOH!! You could faint me and my own whole Psychic teams with your gags alone!! Just see that video in above post.

Last edited:
Hell yeah. Awesome episode, and the ending picture was too cute to not put it here. It's my new facebook cover.

Lillie.jpg

I'm more in love with Lillie in the anime than I was already with the games. Nice to see Lusamine being good, just an absent mom (not that it's good, but it's better than in the games).

Also, in the opening, we see Lillie changing clothes to her Z-Form. I'm curious to see what triggers that.

---

About next episode, besides the whole CLAMP Faba thing, I'm curious to see which UB will leave that Wormhole.

I just finished watching SM episode 50. After what Faba did to her daughter; not once, but twice, not to mention lying to her for years, I’m really surprised Lusamine didn’t fire him. It seems she doesn’t seem crazy like in the games yet, though I’ve heard apparently that the Mother Beast is confirmed to appear in a later episode, so I guess she does go crazy. That brings up the question: Will the Ultra Recon Squad appear? They play a crucial role in USUM? They play an important role in the games, so I’d be surprised that they didn’t.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah after seeing her reaction to Nihilego be this

before snapping out of it and remembering she cares about her kids more than a UB, anime lusamine is teetering on crazy rn. Nihi's toxin, which it will undoubtedly inject her with after grabbing her, will push her over the edge and lead into the climax of SuMo in-game plot. As much as Lusamine pushing Gladio out of the way to save him seemed selfless I can't but help but feel a selfish undertone since this way she wins on both fronts, loving her kids and being with the UBs she's been after for years. As far as Ultra Recon squad goes would imagine towards the end of or after Lusamine arc when they start to focus on USUM's plot and bring in necrozma to fight nebby and lead into that (guessing Ash does his remaining island challenges/grand trials while they resolve that plotline, which I think is cool that they would split up the stories between SuMo and USUM 2 islands each as far as that goes). Next week hype for Z-Lillie and Totem Kommo-o.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yeah after seeing her reaction to Nihilego be this

before snapping out of it and remembering she cares about her kids more than a UB, anime lusamine is teetering on crazy rn. Nihi's toxin, which it will undoubtedly inject her with after grabbing her, will push her over the edge and lead into the climax of SuMo in-game plot. As much as Lusamine pushing Gladio out of the way to save him seemed selfless I can't but help but feel a selfish undertone since this way she wins on both fronts, loving her kids and being with the UBs she's been after for years. As far as Ultra Recon squad goes would imagine towards the end of or after Lusamine arc when they start to focus on USUM's plot and bring in necrozma to fight nebby and lead into that (guessing Ash does his remaining island challenges/grand trials while they resolve that plotline, which I think is cool that they would split up the stories between SuMo and USUM 2 islands each as far as that goes). Next week hype for Z-Lillie and Totem Kommo-o.
I think this image better describes Lusamine's feelings:

Nebby is now a Cosmoem, suppose that's an important plot point.

Alright... now this is getting real interesting. Looks like the Aether kids are actually the one going to take the Dragon trial.

This is interesting, actually. While she still has (hidden) obsession to Ultra Beasts, Anime Lusamine is actually much more sane and humane, faring better than in-game one. I can't judge how much her obsession is if her possibly winning her obsession by pushing Gladio out is anything, but at least we know she genuinely cares about her children and still tried to resist the temptation when her children is involved, although then again had Lilie not been there, she might've jumped into the psycho she is in the game either, unless she also cared that Nebby was endangered there. Still, she gets more sympathetic points for her sanity dysfunction she tried to still hold and Lilie's buildup on her feelings to her mother in past episodes made a more justified reason to go to rescue her.
At least Lillie now only has phobia to that particular UB, and that branch guy is really a slimeball that would even consciously, literally get Lilie hurt just to win his favour to Lusamine (At least ax-crazy game Lusamine tried to kill her after the toxins shattered the rest of her sanity). And yup, we got our recipe for insane Motherbeast, this is like a Nightmare Fetishist's dreams! I'm impressed so far, the story felt a bit rushed but it's also smoothly going.

If they're going to split the plot between SuMn and U-SM, I'd at least hope that as plots they're directly related to each other closely as continuum.

This makes me feel hyped to get my U-Sun later....

Last edited:
To be entirely honest with you guys, this is how I wish the plot in USUM had played out. Heck, I genuinely find anime!Lusamine to be really likeable.

Hyped for the Dragon Trial & even more so for what comes next, but did you guys notice that Silvally is holding the Fairy Memory? ( you can see its crest is pink in the promo ). Totally cheesing the trial lol.

I think this image better describes Lusamine's feelings:

Nebby is now a Cosmoem, suppose that's an important plot point.

Don't forget Nebby's evolution woke Tapu Koko up. We might be leading towards the Tapus x UBs thing

The only thing I have to say about SM50 is that it might have been one of my favorite Pokémon episodes of all time.

Also, about Lusamine:

She's an ambitious person, and she had the opportunity to see her dream coming true. However, she remembered this dream put her kids in danger, and she was really caring. She put herself in harm's way to protect Gladion, and that was not an act. She genuinely had the impulse to protect her son. She'll probably return as insane MotherBeast that will try to kill everyone, but at least, we saw a side of her that's more worthy of redemption than what we saw in SM. Lillie wanting to heal her mother in the games was an act of kindness, but one Lusamine didn't deserve for the way she acted in-game. However, now we've seen a good side of her, and that side is worthy to be cured after Motherbeast thing happens. And we'll see Lillie Z-Form, I'm so stoked.

Hyped for the Dragon Trial & even more so for what comes next, but did you guys notice that Silvally is holding the Fairy Memory? ( you can see its crest is pink in the promo ). Totally cheesing the trial lol.
To be fair, he can summon a freaking Scizor though. We have been shown that officially Totem Pokemon would do SOS (That "water trial" is debatable here), so I'm sure they'll give hard time, with only Umbreon, Lycanroc, and Silvally. Unless he can freely switch the memory midbattle....

To be fair, he can summon a freaking Scizor though. We have been shown that officially Totem Pokemon would do SOS (That "water trial" is debatable here), so I'm sure they'll give hard time, with only Umbreon, Lycanroc, and Silvally. Unless he can freely switch the memory midbattle....
Not really cheesing it, in USM totem Kommo-o gets to use both Scizor and Noivern as allies and knows poison jab while holding a Roseli berry, he is a fairy lure.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Don't forget Nebby's evolution woke Tapu Koko up. We might be leading towards the Tapus x UBs thing

The only thing I have to say about SM50 is that it might have been one of my favorite Pokémon episodes of all time.

Also, about Lusamine:

She's an ambitious person, and she had the opportunity to see her dream coming true. However, she remembered this dream put her kids in danger, and she was really caring. She put herself in harm's way to protect Gladion, and that was not an act. She genuinely had the impulse to protect her son. She'll probably return as insane MotherBeast that will try to kill everyone, but at least, we saw a side of her that's more worthy of redemption than what we saw in SM. Lillie wanting to heal her mother in the games was an act of kindness, but one Lusamine didn't deserve for the way she acted in-game. However, now we've seen a good side of her, and that side is worthy to be cured after Motherbeast thing happens. And we'll see Lillie Z-Form, I'm so stoked.
I actually had a slight indication that the moment before she saved Gladeon she had a want, like she was thinking “select me” not “save him”. Also her smile as she floated away was reminiscent of that dark look she had when the Ultra Beast came through the wormhole.

DF63F72F-6E45-4494-9C23-4E8BEC341F25.jpeg

She has a dark side, and a caring side. It just depends which one she is at any given moment.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
New movie is airing on Disney XD today if you have it. I missed the morning showing, but I have the evening showing set to record. I'll post my thoughts on the movie later.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Couldn't finish the movie last night because I had to go out for a bit and developed a moderate headache.

Now that I've seen it I have to it's... pretty mediocre. At least until the last act, which nosedives into terrible; nothing makes sense and Pikachu talking was super stupid and cringe. Still better than anything from XY, at least.

Like I suspected, there was no good reason for Sorrel and Verity to be here. It doesn't matter if his personality and goals are different, Sorrel still acts as Mr. Exposition like Brock and has the same set of skills. Verity could have been interesting thanks to her backstory if she was in a different movie and was the sole focus, but here her personality is decently close to Misty's on top of being just as pointless as her. Cross as least justifies his existence by being different from Gary and causing the climax to happen.

As Team Four Star mentioned in their own review, a lot of the nostalgia pandering felt half-assed. For example, Butterfree's departure is super hallow and devoid of emotional impact because we've barely seen it throughout the movie.

I'm not one to be an anime purist, but the music sucked and they shouldn't have changed any of it in the dub.

The plot is alright during the first act, but after the Entei encounter it kind of meanders for a while. The general goal is pretty vague due to the movie being unable to decide what meeting Ho-Oh actually does. Marshadow's role is also poorly explained, leaving its Heel-Turn super confusing.

Ash's bout of anger wasn't handled very well. I get what they were trying to do, but his character seemed to do a complete 180 during that part and he was beyond OOC.

Team Rocket was fucking pointless (which the writers clearly knew) and did not need to be here. Adding insult to injury, they never once did anything remotely entertaining.

The were a bunch of little things that bugged me, like some weird editing in places and Luxuray's death relying on a huge Fridge Logic moment that undermined the emotional impact of the scene. Also said scene kind of coming out of nowhere.

I liked the action and animation for the most part, at least.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Haven't seen the movie yet with many liking Verity's character I got curious and looked up spoilers about her character.

Okay, her being the daughter of Cynthia is interesting... though at the same time you could have made it a nod to the games by having her be Cynthia's little sister. Wouldn't change much if anything, and would probably not have the mystery who her father/Cynthia's husband(?) is.

And while certainly an interesting concept for a character, this movie is non-canon so ultimately this good idea goes to waste. Could be an idea they could do next gen if GF is on board with the idea, give the Champion a kid (maybe in the games have them be your rival or your character is the kid) and in the anime make them a traveling companion. That way we can maybe see this idea more fleshed out.

OH MY OH MY OH MY! How are you not talking about SM 51?

SOLGALEO WILL COME! All the Guardians are there. Lillie developing really well, Gladio becoming more dependent on others. Oh my, this series is becoming more and more interesting by the minute.

Oh, and Ash will have his black Z-Ring and Solgalium-Z next episode. Neat.

I saw I Choose You in theaters and yeah, Pikachu talking was pretty cringe worthy. I for one also really didn't like the background music and I still don't understand why they can't just use Shinji Miyazaki's original score. I'm looking forward to seeing the Japanese version. I'm sure the Pikachu scene won't be nearly as awkward since thanks to Escaflowne and One Piece I'm use to hearing Ikue Otani speak!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Anime writers... this means nothing:

It wasn't Lillie who formed a strong bond with Nebby in the anime, it was Ash. You can't just recreate a visual from the games and expect it to have the same emotional impact without the subtext behind it being the same.

Also:

Now Lusamine has her eyes closed so maybe she's unconscious while the Nihilego just uses her body as a host?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)