SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

It's also weird how downplayed anime Lillie is from game Lillie. In the anime the Lusamine arc was breezed through and now she's just kinda there. They could have theoretically promoted her as a major character like May, Dawn or even Serena, but the writers don't seem to want to do that. I guess the large cast of SM characters makes that rather difficult, and she's only 1 of 3 girls this arc too. It also doesn't help that despite being 70+ episodes into SM, all 3 girls only have 1 pokemon each. They wouldn't even let Lana capture that Dewspider even though the whole ep hinted it! And people thought Serena only having 3 pokemon her entire run was weird, the SM girls will probably only have 1 pokemon each the entire saga at this rate.

I'm really not fond of the recent trend of the anime barely giving the girls any pokemon and barely having them battle. We literally haven't had a main girl with a full team since Dawn, and that was 3 gens ago now. Back in the original series they made the mistake of giving Misty/Brock too many pokemon and not having anything to use them for, they more or less got the balance right with May, but now it just feels off.

For all we know the SM anime might end by November too if the new games come out this year, so for all we know this arc might be over already.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
It's also weird how downplayed anime Lillie is from game Lillie. In the anime the Lusamine arc was breezed through and now she's just kinda there. They could have theoretically promoted her as a major character like May, Dawn or even Serena, but the writers don't seem to want to do that. I guess the large cast of SM characters makes that rather difficult, and she's only 1 of 3 girls this arc too. It also doesn't help that despite being 70+ episodes into SM, all 3 girls only have 1 pokemon each. They wouldn't even let Lana capture that Dewspider even though the whole ep hinted it! And people thought Serena only having 3 pokemon her entire run was weird, the SM girls will probably only have 1 pokemon each the entire saga at this rate.

I'm really not fond of the recent trend of the anime barely giving the girls any pokemon and barely having them battle. We literally haven't had a main girl with a full team since Dawn, and that was 3 gens ago now. Back in the original series they made the mistake of giving Misty/Brock too many pokemon and not having anything to use them for, they more or less got the balance right with May, but now it just feels off.

For all we know the SM anime might end by November too if the new games come out this year, so for all we know this arc might be over already.
Let’s hope for Rainbow Rocket with how Giovanni knows other team bosses. Bad teams unite, then epic team infighting showdown ending it with making Ash Champion as the hero who beat them all, and then gets challenged by Gary for a 21st anniversary battle.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The anime is giving a LOT of attention to Ash's Lycanroc lately. Like, this is probably just building up to Ash getting Lycanium Z so Lycanroc can use Splintered Stormshards, but there's that part of me worried they're going to give it a new Forme due to how "popular" Ash-Greninja was...

Lycanroc-Dusk is that new form. It's the whole reason they gave Ash that one as opposed to Lycanroc-Midday. Even though Dusk can breed in-game, it's meant to be special to an extent.

It's the first saga where one of Ash's starters isn't the main pokemon on his team. Even with Torracat evolved it's still not getting much focus, probably won't till it becomes Incineroar later in the arc.

Also with the new game rumors I wonder if SM will be cut short in the anime, i guess we'll see...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

Here's the problem: They wanted to make the Sun & Moon anime into a slice of life anime (probably due to how successful the Yokai! Watch anime was at the time). They saw the opportunity of Alola being a region without a Pokemon League to do something different, which they apparently also took to meaning the story of the games.

Being less cynical, they also may have wanted to wait until the third version/second pair games came out before deciding what to do. They only did "plot" episodes because they knew they had to set something up... until they learned what the storyline of USUM was. Since USUM completely changed the ending of SM, they had to wrap up the SM story they started immediately in order to incorporate the story elements from USUM. Thus, they decided to give Nebby to Ash because he's the main character and just rushed through SM's story, unable to really give payoff which includes Lillie's character. I would not be surprise that, with the way Lillie's story was going, she was suppose to get Nebby as the pinnacle moment of her character development. But they wasted too much time on NOTHING SIGNIFICANT FILLER so that plan went down the drain and now they have nothing to do with Lillie. She's just part of the gang, also filled with characters who significance was taken from them because the anime writers are lazy hacks.

Let’s hope for Rainbow Rocket with how Giovanni knows other team bosses. Bad teams unite, then epic team infighting showdown ending it with making Ash Champion as the hero who beat them all, and then gets challenged by Gary for a 21st anniversary battle.
Don't forget they have to also include the Ultra Recon Squad (or not, they never introduced Zinnia into the anime and I doubt we'll see international officer Anabel, not to mention HAU is still MIA). Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised that if they did the Rainbow Rocket story they wouldn't include the other villain bosses. If I were an anime writer forced to deal with this mess, I'd just have the Rainbow Rocket thing being Giovanni taking over Ultra Megalopolis and then trying to take control of the Ultra Beasts worlds.

Lycanroc-Dusk is that new form. It's the whole reason they gave Ash that one as opposed to Lycanroc-Midday. Even though Dusk can breed in-game, it's meant to be special to an extent.
I know, I meant an alternate forme on top of the new forme. Like it changes into a Dusk version of Midnight Lycanroc. But as I said, I think they're just setting up for Splintered Stormshards... hopefully.

Also with the new game rumors I wonder if SM will be cut short in the anime, i guess we'll see...
That's a good question, what IS the end goal for the Island Challenge? Like once Ash beats all the Kahuna, then what?

^The episode that stated this might of aired after you said this, but Kukui is building a Pokemon League like he does in the game.

Pikachu learning Electroweb was like the most random thing ever. I mean I know he can learn it and he was overdue for a new move, but I wasn't expecting it to be that.

Also not the next episode, but one after that one is about Lillie running into an Alolan Sandshrew. So it looks like if anyone will get it, it will be Lillie and not Ash like a lot of people thought.

Looks like America will skip the Passimian episode, and because the universe spins around the US that means the rest of us won't get the episode either. Lame. Sad people get offended by virtually anything and the offended have more power than the sane.

That said I feel the worst for the poor people doing the anime, who have changed their series from "silly Japanese show with zany Japanese culture references and also normal ones like food and holidays" into "the most bland generic thing ever" just from years of seeing 4k!ds and TPCi mangle the show. They even preferred drawing poor Alexa without cleavage, despite the uniboob looking ridiculous, just from the fear of America's opressive censorship. Even PreCure this year had among the villains a woman with cleavage, and that show gets constantly complains from parents. Sad.

Yo what happened with the scheduling? The Passimian episode was completely skipped in New Zealand according to Bulbapedia. Is it a screw up on their part or is TPCi purposely skipping it???

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
They're skipping the Passimian episode? Why? Is it because Ash paints his face black?

I suppose this could be offensive even though it's obvious he's suppose to be dressed as a Passimian. Don't know if they plan on keeping this episode skipped or editing it somehow (though that would be difficulty since Ash spends half the episode dressed up, don't even know what the edit would be, a mask)? Painting his face green instead?).

They're skipping the Passimian episode? Why? Is it because Ash paints his face black?

I suppose this could be offensive even though it's obvious he's suppose to be dressed as a Passimian. Don't know if they plan on keeping this episode skipped or editing it somehow (though that would be difficulty since Ash spends half the episode dressed up, don't even know what the edit would be, a mask)? Painting his face green instead?).
Yes they're skipping it because of the blackface and that Ash acts like a monkey while in it as well, so heavy racial connotation

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Serebii has a summary of the recent movie. Won't say much about it but I have one immediate thought about it:
It seems completely superfluous to the movie's plot, similar to Marshadow in the last movie. It was just there to be a strong rare Pokemon. I would say it was better implemented than Marshadow which felt it was just shoehorned in, but you could swap it out with something else (like Marshadow) and it probably wouldn't change much.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Couldn't get myself to read the entire thing because it's written so blandly, but apparently TR actually does something to justify their presence for once.

Also, this movie sounds cluttered.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Couldn't get myself to read the entire thing because it's written so blandly, but apparently TR actually does something to justify their presence for once.

Also, this movie sounds cluttered.
Team Rocket: After faffing around through the first and second act, their actions do cause the beginning of the third act. They steal an experiment that the scientist guy was working on, a vial of some kind of gas, which they break which causes it to spread all over the city. Said gas causes paralysis and suffocates whoever gets caught in it. Ash and the other main characters are outside the city solving another theft (a light that tells Lugia where to send its winds, stolen by the mayor's daughter to stop the festival so everyone wouldn't look for Zeroara cause it was revealed a rare Pokemon was somewhere) when the incident happens, thus have to work together to save the day.

Cluttered: There's pretty much five stories going on which cross every so often. Some have more focus put on it then others though it all comes together at the end. Scientist guy and big liar guy have the more important roles, mayor's daughter has a smaller but significant plot moving role, and Eevee girl and old woman don't really factor much into things until the end where their talents take part in saving the day. Zeroara serves as distrusting rare Pokemon everyone wants to catch who helps save the day and Lugia is a deus ex machina (one that is set up, but it only appears to blow away the gas; guess it's also sort of the city's protector and power source provider).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Dub Movie News. First, the trailer:
(Voice acting doesn't sound too bad, though the lip syncing ain't great on some scenes and some lines just felt out of place (like the line at the end where Ash says he'll need all of their help). Not sure if the line thing was the same in the original Japanese trailer)

And now the title: The Power of Us. I like it, it's a nice reference to the second Pokemon movie which reflects the theme of the movie (and, thinking about it, how it is in a way the aversion to the original as Power of One has Ash being the most important character while Power of Us has a slew of important characters needed to save the day).

Necrozma is confirmed to be appearing in SM087, alongside Lunala. I’m guessing that Necrozma becomes Dawn Wings, but the question is will it actually fuse with Lunala, or will it be like Kyurem in M15 where it can ‘borrow’the power of Reshiram and Zekrom to change form.

Anyway, I’m not watching because I know it’s not going genuinely serious after watching the Lusamine arc. The Sun and Moon anime is proof that they really need to fix up the anime by A. Not making a slice of life B. Either let Ash retire, or actually grow up and get his goal.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Um, writers, did you forget Fire- and Ground-types kind of don't like water?

(The soothing heat almost makes you forget your skin/scales should technically be peeling off)

Though I do like the gag concerning Altaria getting soaked:

(Um, does anyone have a hair dryer?)

Also next episode the writers remember there was a plot to USUM they should probably be getting too:
Seems like the adults are for some reason really exhausted.
Necrozma is coming through and attacking and absorbing Lunala and Solgaleo (Nebby).
And it isn't a proper Super Sentai/Power Rangers knock off without having the additional cool (and edgy) sixth seventh ranger: Gladion.

It seems like anime often gives a "bath" scene before putting all the bets.
To be fair, Flygon and Garchomp is part Dragon, having neutral reaction to water. And the waters are meant to be of pool park or therapeutic instead of damaging attacks and Toracat still don't want to go into it anyway, him still curiously unsure with the flower bath. Maybe because it's harder to keep his bell dry unlike Zard's tail fire. Fire-types, do they really need no water in their lives?

Now what I hope they can resolve is Necrozma's back story here. In U-SM, it has plenty of justification of being Big Bad. Will the anime writers manage to do the same to Anime Necrozma? How will they write its reasons to attack the Light legends and steal light? Especially that until now we have seen no Ultra Megapolitan and Recon Squad in sight? (Or maybe they'll showcase what appears to be remains of it?)

I'll look forward to it, and their musics to satisfy my ears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)