SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Episode 6 of Twilight Wings: Moonlight!
Thumbnail: At the time of posting this the thumbnail is oddly Sonia in her pajamas combing her hair, a scene that only lasts a few seconds toward the very end of the episode where Leon is talking to her via phone. Seems really weird to have that randomly picked as the thumbnail as it's nowhere in the middle of the episode (funny enough, a scene in the middle of the episode that would fit is where Allister has Haunter on his head; or one of the scenes at the beginning where Allister is sitting alone in the graveyard looking up at the moon).
0:22: That is a small Trevenant if it's able to hide behind a gravestone... also why is it hiding behind a gravestone?
0:34: Dead... Oh wait, nevermind. And kid, you went into a GRAVEYARD at NIGHT in the POKEMON WORLD, how were you not expecting Ghost-types to be around?
0:36: What's a Dhelmise doing there?!
1:14: Aren't the Ghastly line made of gas and shadow? How is he having a hard time pushing past them?
3:42: Dead... you could have just had one of the Ghost Pokemon use Hypnosis.
4:05: So just because Tommy was released from the hospital he was no longer allowed to speak with John?
4:25: THEY DID IT! They've cured UACD!
5:54: DON'T THINK I DON'T SEE YOU THERE LAMPENT! Hanging out in front of hospitals waiting for someone to die, and a children's hospital on top of that!
6:22: HA HA HA... the Taxi Driver is getting his soul eaten alive.
6:54: Yes Leon, you do look like a dork wearing that cape. I know, your sponsors, but with your hat brim looking like a crown you kind of look a bit egotistical walking around dressed as a king.

Joke aside, this episode was disappointing. Was hoping we learned more about Allister but he got sidelined heavily so we can remind everyone that John exists. And honestly what they did in the end with Rose giving Leon the postcard was enough to remind us of that, we didn't need this subplot of John and Tommy having a fight and Tommy needing to sneak into the hospital to apologize.
Writers, no one cares about the John stuff. John is just a catalyst for events to have happened, his role in the story is at the beginning to set it up and at the end where no doubt we'll see him watching & probably meeting Leon. What we care about are the characters from the games, all the previous episodes focused and delivered on that with Bea, Hop, Nessa, and Oleana. This was supposed to be Allister's episode and while he had amusing moments in the episode we don't learn anything more about him. And if that's the point, fine I guess, but then maybe don't base an episode on Allister and focus on another character in the games you would like to elaborate more on.
Next time is the final episode which is properly going to focus on Leon (and finishing the John story).

Last edited:
Considering that in Allister's backstory he had a nearly fatal experience years ago, I was expecting that they were going to thread it with Tommy's condition. That Allister managed to be among the elite of Galar despite his age and almost nearly dying, and how that would serve as an inspiration for Tommy. Instead, Allister got the backseat while the main focus was the Tommy and John drama.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Twilight Wings:
Considering that in Allister's backstory he had a nearly fatal experience years ago, I was expecting that they were going to thread it with Tommy's condition. That Allister managed to be among the elite of Galar despite his age and almost nearly dying, and how that would serve as an inspiration for Tommy. Instead, Allister got the backseat while the main focus was the Tommy and John drama.
Speaking of which, there's another theory going around. Last time we had one of these theories it was that Tommy had cancer. Well now it's John's turn, and this time we've upgraded from cancer to just being dead! That's right, the new theory is that John is dead and thus the reason this is an Allister focused episode is because Allister would be the only one able to help John. The evidence (and counters I've found) goes as follow:

1. Tommy gives Allister the odd story that he can't see John because he was released from the hospital. If John was a ghost, this story would make a bit more sense if you follow some supernatural lore where a supernatural being can't enter a building without being invited (usually this is done with vampires but I've seen it done with ghosts & other kinds of spirits a few times). Allister didn't need to distract the guard so Tommy could get in, Allister needed to distract the guard so that he could sneak into the hospital and thus then give Tommy permission to go inside the hospital.
  2. On top of that John & Tommy's argument on the surface seemed very superficial. Tommy is angry at John because John is hopeful to become a Pokemon Trainer yet Tommy says they don't know whether they'll ever leave the hospital & Rose hadn't responded to John's letter. Much like with the "John has cancer" theory, it's theorized Tommy is upset because his diagnosis has turned terminal and only had a few weeks to live. Tommy wasn't angry at John but rather probably wasn't in the mood to hear about talks of the future when he didn't have long left to live (though if that's the case John didn't seem to know, infact the next part of that argument would have been Tommy telling John about his condition and time remaining). COUNTER ARGUMENT: After apologizing to John, Tommy says that they'll both become great Pokemon trainers. That's really hard to interpret another way in order to fit this theory. Not saying a ghost can't become a Pokemon Trainer, but I'd imagine it would be really hard to and a ghost would have much more pressing concerns. Only way around this is if Tommy was just saying that to cheer up John, though that too seems to sort of go against he's a ghost is wants to apologize to John before moving on to the afterlife.
  3. When Allister and Tommy are inside the Flying Taxi it's noted that its Allister's presence that the Taxi Driver seems to be reacting to Allister is the one who gave the driver directions to the hospital. COUNTER ARGUMENT: At the end of the episode he Taxi Driver does make mentions indicating he sees Tommy. When waiting for them he says "what's keeping those two" and when they appear inside the cab he notes how late it is and asks "are you both okay". So if one part of the theory is that only Allister (and his Ghost-type Pokemon) and John can only seem him that's strike two.
  4. When John wakes up, Tommy is already in the room standing in front of the door. We hear no door opening or closing sound. That said, John is acting pretty casual when talking with someone who is supposed to be dead (and it would be a pretty nasty thing to do to hide Tommy's death from John, though I supposed they could want to wait until he's out of the hospital before telling him). And then when the night guards comes around and checks John's room, no one is there.

... Yeah, much like the "John has cancer" theory I think this is also hogwash. Even if you want to say that Tommy still needed Allister's help because no one else would help a ghost, Tommy saying both he and John would become great Pokemon Trainers would be pretty misleading if they reveal that he is dead.

Main Anime Series:
Newest episode finally debuts some more SwSh characters:

• As heavily advertised, Raihan of course:

• Chairman Rose (not talking, just seen clapping).

• Also as advertised, Sonia appears and has a brief chat with Ash & Goh about the Hero Statue & the Darkest Day:

... and looks to have a quirk where when she sees a cute Pokemon she tugs on their ears, I guess in relation to how when she's deep in thought she twirls her hair?

• This is the debut of a Galarian Nurse Joy and confirmed they use Indeedee as their assistants:
However two very notable things happened in this episode:
  • Ash catches a Galarian Farfetch'd! It was causing some trouble beating up people's Pokemon so, after a fierce fight between it and Riolu, they defeated it and took it to the Pokemon Center where Ash then asks for it to join his team:

• But watching them from "cover", a Sobble appears:

Last edited:
Definitely Gou. Remember too that so far, Ash got a lot of mon already (4 so far). I figured out that they'll want to extend the time until Ash gets a full team. We're not even one year past SwSh release.

What makes me actually worried is whether they will still get one starter for Ash or not. The Hero would definitely get one, no? But when?
What was the latest time Ash got a starter in a season?
Or maybe they'll just hand it to Gou, which means first time Ash doesn't get one?

Also, minor complaint with Raihan not taking selfie.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
One of the funniest things that I've noticed is that as of Best Wishes every main villain has been the inverse of their quality in the games

Ghetsis: Great in games, ass in the anime
Lysandre: Ass in the games, inexplicably awesome in the anime
Lusamine: Great in games, not even a villain in the anime

So basically if this trend upholds expect a sick Chairman Rose arc

Also god damn, Ash is gettin fuckin STACKED this series. Dragonite, Gengar, Riolu and now potentially Sirfetch'd, just beastly I tells ya.

Go is more or less treated as a co-star this gen, he has a similar type of role Dawn had back in DP. I guess the only reason people don't notice it as much is his goal is just capturing pokemon, so it doesn't have any real identifiable tournament or something to watch such as the way Contests were parallel to Gyms and you can see the progression. That and he's another male companion, and because Brock did nothing for 13 years, people are used to the male companion not doing much. So him getting Sobble would be kinda expected, he's going to get as much as Ash does this series.

Admittedly I do find the shafting of female characters this gen very strange, especially since in SM we had 3 female characters for the first time, or Bonnie with Serena before that. It's always obvious the female characters are the most popular each gen besides whatever Ash does, so I find it kinda strange they don't care about doing it much anymore. All the more recent female characters have had the problem of less screentime than the older ones too and less battles, but it's funny that besides maybe Iris, I haven't seen much dislike for female characters in a long time besides personal preferences.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Admittedly I do find the shafting of female characters this gen very strange, especially since in SM we had 3 female characters for the first time, or Bonnie with Serena before that. It's always obvious the female characters are the most popular each gen besides whatever Ash does, so I find it kinda strange they don't care about doing it much anymore. All the more recent female characters have had the problem of less screentime than the older ones too and less battles, but it's funny that besides maybe Iris, I haven't seen much dislike for female characters in a long time besides personal preferences.
We have a pseudo female "companion", or at least potentially one, with Chloe. A part of Chloe's development for this season looks to be deciding what she wants to do in life, follow in her parent's footsteps and become a scientist or something else? Also she and Yamper helped Ash & Goh out when dealing with Gengar so she's good at Pokemon battles, said battle making her closer to Yamper.

If I had to guess, at some point near the end of the season she's going to finish the school year and may decide to join Ash & Goh on their expeditions (or journey if next season they start with a storyline like Galar's Champion Cup). Heck maybe Ash, Goh, and Chloe will all join that way they can give each a rival: Ash can get Hop (both really want to battle & defeat Leon), Goh can get Bede (I can see them having a harsh personality clash), and Chloe can get Marnie (both are more reserved characters from notable backgrounds, while I don't know what will start the rivalry it shouldn't be too hard to come up with an inciting event that gets both off on the wrong foot... and also both are girls).

One interesting thing on this is who the potential female companion would be if it was focused on Galar instead of what we have now. I could only see Marnie for this, and even then she's a rival with distinct backstory. Or Bea, but looks too stern for that.

One interesting thing on this is who the potential female companion would be if it was focused on Galar instead of what we have now. I could only see Marnie for this, and even then she's a rival with distinct backstory. Or Bea, but looks too stern for that.
Hypothetically I think Gloria could work. They passed on Selene for Alola but they also had plenty of other girls on the cast as-is so I don't necessarily think they've put a stop to using the main girl player characer and Gloria doesnt seem like she's meant to be older like Hilda was.

Bea would have been fun for something different, though. Her stern behavior would make her pretty distinct from the other girls and you could have a goal of her improving herself to take back the gym spot.

I don't think they would have used Gloria. The anime has been moving away from the game protagonists because the customization feature renders the design pointless when everyone can change the way they look in the game so you don't even see Gloria if you're playing as her. Yes the customization was introduced with the XY games and they still used Serena but that was pretty much before they knew it would take off.

If I remember correctly GameFreak said they purposely didn't bring the customization in ORAS because they wanted people to play as Brendan or May, two "established" characters (remember if you pick one the other is your rival with unique dialogue), rather than your own custom character.

I think a de-aged Sonia might have worked, she's basically a character designed to be young and closer to the target audiences age (I mean yeah I know Sonia is probably about 20-22 years old, but you get my point), and she has that inexperienced vibe that the writers tend to like for their female characters. After all they de-aged Mallow in SM to be 10 years old, whereas in the games she's clearly an older teen.

If I remember correctly GameFreak said they purposely didn't bring the customization in ORAS because they wanted people to play as Brendan or May, two "established" characters (remember if you pick one the other is your rival with unique dialogue), rather than your own custom character.
I think the reason they gave was fashion was a french thing...
it was one of those collective "????" type responses iirc. I'd like that to be wrong though
I think a de-aged Sonia might have worked, she's basically a character designed to be young and closer to the target audiences age (I mean yeah I know Sonia is probably about 20-22 years old, but you get my point), and she has that inexperienced vibe that the writers tend to like for their female characters. After all they de-aged Mallow in SM to be 10 years old, whereas in the games she's clearly an older teen.
De-aged Sonia I think would be more weird if they did not also de-age Leon, who I imagine would still be a pivotal role and that means de-aging Hop if he ever shows up. All a little awkward to do, I think.
& the added comedy of the end of SWSH (which i guessing they wont touch on the same way regardless BUT--) being all "leave this to the adults, enjoy your life" messaging

Deaging the trial leaders (Kiawe iirc is the oldest of the main 4 in the games but the same age in the show and it kind of shows lol) as a set isnt THAT weird especially since they're still all designed to be pretty young looking and didnt have a big connection with others

You know we kind of brushed off Marnie since she had a back story but I think the Yell connection, her brother and wanting to (apparently) take over the gym are all a firm enough ground work to give her a journey and something to work towards and then leave at the end. Resolve Yell, deal with her brother, find her own strength, yadda yadda yadda. It would liekly be far more fulfilling to see in the anime than it was in the games thats for sure...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Huh, a few Jessie & James stuff is popping up lately.
  • First both are added to Pokemon Masters, right now Jessie & Arbok are only available but I'm assuming James & Weezing would be next.
  • And now they've been added into Pokemon GO, they're appearing in the Meowth balloon using Shadow Ekans and Koffing (which have a high chance of being Shiny) and you automatically get their white Team Rocket uniforms.
Is this hinting something big is going to happen with the Rocket Trio?

Huh, a few Jessie & James stuff is popping up lately.
  • First both are added to Pokemon Masters, right now Jessie & Arbok are only available but I'm assuming James & Weezing would be next.
  • And now they've been added into Pokemon GO, they're appearing in the Meowth balloon using Shadow Ekans and Koffing (which have a high chance of being Shiny) and you automatically get their white Team Rocket uniforms.
Is this hinting something big is going to happen with the Rocket Trio?
I heard it was advertising for Pokemon Coco

Speaking of death theories, the final episode of Twilight Wings has been announced. It's simply called "Sky".

I knew this series wasn't going to last long, but it's still sad to see the plug being pulled. This and Generations, I love these miniseries, showing us good ways to explore of the Pokemon characters and expanding the world surrounding them.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I knew this series wasn't going to last long, but it's still sad to see the plug being pulled. This and Generations, I love these miniseries, showing us good ways to explore of the Pokemon characters and expanding the world surrounding them.
We knew it was six episodes long. Though still sad all the same it's ending, I rather like these anthology series covering aspects of the franchise the main anime doesn't (for some reason). Generations, Origins, and now Twilight Wings. However, just like how TW wasn't the first, I'm sure it's not the last either. Hopefully the next mini-series will come sooner than later with just as interesting a theme to base their episodes around. :bloblul:

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So today's anime episode was another strange one, but not as strange as the Magikarp Splash one.
  • First, the premise of the episode felt out of character. Not for Ash, not for Goh, but for Pikachu. The episode was about Ash not picking Pikachu to battle as often so, after Delia visited them at the Lab and she showed Pikachu some attention that Ash hasn't, Pikachu decides it wants to stay with Delia in Pallet Town. Now the reason Ash isn't picking Pikachu to battle is because Ash is training Riolu, it's something Ash has done a dozens of times and I never before had Pikachu showed jealousy that Ash is spending a lot more time training up the new Pokemon he got (infact Pikachu is usually very supporting when this happen, especially when it's for a newly hatched Pokemon). So already the scenario feels strange, but of course they also decided to throw in some other things.
  • Basically after Delia leaves Ash & Pikachu have an argument and Pikachu finally decides to run away. Mr. Mime sees this and tries taking Pikachu back but Pikachu shocks it, so instead Mr. Mime follows Pikachu probably to at least make sure it gets to Pallet Town safely. On the road they see a hitchhiker try to hitch a ride from a truck when the first reference is made in the episode:

• So, after a few attempts, Mr. Mime fails to stop a vehicle. That's when the next reference happen: Pikachu's cute butt meme:

• Finally they reference the first episode with Pikachu saving Mr. Mime from a flock of Spearow, which reminds Pikachu it misses Ash:

(Hey, if they're going this far back, maybe this will be the season Ash FINALLY remembers to go back for Pidgeot)
The episodes ends just as you expect, them getting to Pallet Town and revealing Ash is waiting for Pikachu, Pikachu forgiving Ash.

BONUS MEMES: Angry Delia & Regrettable Pikachu

(Don't worry, it ends with apologies given, accepted, and a big happy meal)

The Spearow Scene is something they've gone back to several times over the years so sadly I'm not holding my breath for them finally doing anything with Pidgeot.

i think it's safe to say that pidgeot is more than certainly a pokemon that's done dead forgotten,frankly for me it's all the same whether he returns or not because he didn't really assume any function of importance in the anime besides of course you know,being one of Ash's early catches
though primeape is in a similar fix to this mon im still hoping for that one,really hoping for it to make a comeback someday

i think it's safe to say that pidgeot is more than certainly a pokemon that's done dead forgotten,frankly for me it's all the same whether he returns or not because he didn't really assume any function of importance in the anime besides of course you know,being one of Ash's early catches
though primeape is in a similar fix to this mon im still hoping for that one,really hoping for it to make a comeback someday
Primeape is less egregious to me just because Ash only had it for a brief time and then gave it to a guy who could be who knows where. Though to be clear i ALSO want to see Primeape return just...Pidgeot (as Pidgeotto) was with Ash basically the whole region and is like barely outside Pallet town. It just seems like such an easy slam dunk of an episode to do!

Even Lapras and Jigglypuff got follow up episodes. go see your bird, ash!

the reason why i always end up considering pidgeot to be the lesser of the two between it and primeape is strictly because i simply find primeape's personality to be a greatly endearing quality that just immediately causes me to swam on over to him,i mean after all who doesn't like a raging furious monkey with a tendency to steal hats of all things : P
anyways yeah im definitely with you,Ash really does need to go see his bird one way or the other ( and the same goes for butterfree,please,wherever you are i hope you're not deceased )

The moment I've seen most people talk about is the Delia and Pikachu scene, despite being kinda irrelevant. Imo this episode should have been more about Delia and Pikachu, instead of forced Pikachu-Mr Mime drama and hijinks.

Maybe Delia tells stories about his 'baby boy' before he met Pikachu (something related about how excited he was for "catching them all"). After all, who knows him better than his mother? And that would help Pikachu understand him better, while also utilizing well Delia's character.

Also, I groaned at the Spearow callback. First, Mr Mime has been shown to be strong enough for some wild Spearows to cause him trouble. And second, why the need to reference it? It's not like there's already an entire movie based on the first episode...

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The moment I've seen most people talk about is the Delia and Pikachu scene, despite being kinda irrelevant. Imo this episode should have been more about Delia and Pikachu, instead of forced Pikachu-Mr Mime drama and hijinks.

Maybe Delia tells stories about his 'baby boy' before he met Pikachu (something related about how excited he was for "catching them all"). After all, who knows him better than his mother? And that would help Pikachu understand him better, while also utilizing well Delia's character.

Also, I groaned at the Spearow callback. First, Mr Mime has been shown to be strong enough for some wild Spearows to cause him trouble. And second, why the need to reference it? It's not like there's already an entire movie based on the first episode...
It is a very sweet scene with Delia singing Pikachu assumingly the same lullaby she sang to Ash when he was a baby.

Im looking forward to the dubs for this specific episode so i can better work out who it is that's the greater singer between both delia and Ash albeit ive got a hunch and a pretty big one that it's gonna be delia simply because well,she's got a soothing voice
Anyways it's sad to see such a wholesome episode end up getting so much flak to a point whereby it's now regarded as one of the literal 4 horsemen of controversy to have been bore by pokemon all together,sure it's justifiable in suggesting that what we've gotten is by all means an unnecessary throwback sequence with plenty of OOC to tip it off but i mean come on all that aside it's pretty good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)