SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
But of spoilers for upcoming JN episodes but...

AAAAAHHHHHHHH YES LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOO

THE GOAT DAWN WILL APPEAR AGAIN HELL YEEEEAAAHH!!!

(Sorry for the caps lmao, but I am internally screaming with joy right now, Dawn is my favorite character in the Pokemon anime ever and DP anime was one of the most formative pieces of media ever for me so this just excites me so, so much)

But of spoilers for upcoming JN episodes but...

AAAAAHHHHHHHH YES LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOO

THE GOAT DAWN WILL APPEAR AGAIN HELL YEEEEAAAHH!!!

(Sorry for the caps lmao, but I am internally screaming with joy right now, Dawn is my favorite character in the Pokemon anime ever and DP anime was one of the most formative pieces of media ever for me so this just excites me so, so much)
I'm really surprised about this since it came out of literally nowhere, but it's a very welcome surprise. Also explains all of the Piplup anime merch (though I wanted Chole to get one so I'm a bit mad about that but whatever).

Do any of you think she will get some team changes? I'm really hoping her Quilava got the Iris's Axew treatment and evolved into a Typhlosion offscreen. It's literally perfect since Legends Arceus is also a thing and Typhlosion will promote that. I also think there's a good chance she'll have an Alcremie because of that one really popular Dawn Sync Pair in Pokemon Masters, and there's also been a good amount of Alcremie merchandise.

I'm really surprised about this since it came out of literally nowhere, but it's a very welcome surprise. Also explains all of the Piplup anime merch (though I wanted Chole to get one so I'm a bit mad about that but whatever).

Do any of you think she will get some team changes? I'm really hoping her Quilava got the Iris's Axew treatment and evolved into a Typhlosion offscreen. It's literally perfect since Legends Arceus is also a thing and Typhlosion will promote that. I also think there's a good chance she'll have an Alcremie because of that one really popular Dawn Sync Pair in Pokemon Masters, and there's also been a good amount of Alcremie merchandise.
I wouldn't say out of nowhere. It is BDSP advertising. Once Iris and Gary returned, it opened the door (about darn time) for old characters to see the screen again. Just keep Paul away.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
A month passes, and another PokéToon is here: "Wait here, Magikarp!"

I'd prefer a few more minutes of content like with "A Budding Dream," but it's fine as is.
That was a sweet short (and no dialogue means I was able to understand the story). Gave me a bit of a "Peter and a Wolf" vibes with the instrument directing the feeling of the scene.

Though there is one disappointing thing, looks like Pokemon Company took down the English sub of the previous Poketoon. Granted, thinking about it, was probably also expected since it is technically a re-upload and subbing it isn't exactly making it your own work (though maybe next time Pokemon Company you'll do your own subs so no one else has to do it! You don't think the international audience are watching these? You got international offices, have them watch through the short and submit a script in several languages). Maybe this is also a sign they plan on releasing these on the US channel and the ones with dialogue will be dubbed? Guess we'll see.

Do any of you think she will get some team changes?
Mega Lopunny. :psysly:

Just keep Paul away.
Calling it now: Gary, Harrison, Tyson, Paul, Virgil, Alain, & Gladion are also in the Top 99 of the World Coronation Series. I picked one rival from each gen, though other possibilities: Ritchie, Tobias, & Hau. Though with Ash in the Top 99 I'm expecting to also see a lot more important NPCs from the games such as Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Frontier Brains, and Champions.

Paul should appear later on in this series as Ash climbs the ranks. They already showed him in a flashback in the Infernape ep.

Originally I thought he may not appear because he's not a game character (most returning characters have all been from the games and/or slightly revamped to be closer to their game incarnations), but I do think he's possible. Maybe Alan too, but that will probably be it from Ash's older rivals.

They're also unlikely to bring back any of the league-only rivals as much as some people want to see Ash finally win over them. Like Richie, Harrison/Tyson, Tobias or Cameron, etc...I really can't see them returning. They merely only existed to prevent Ash from winning those leagues and that's all their characters were for. I mean I've wanted Ash to finally beat Richie in a battle since I was a kid and I know that's probably never going to happen.

And then there's just Trip from BW who was unpopular and completely forgettable.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
And then there's just Trip from BW who was unpopular and completely forgettable.
Well he was not only forgettable, he was flat out one of the most unpleasant characters in the anime. Dude was an arrogant and xenophobic/racist prick who had an unbelievably massive ego despite being a new Trainer and was condescending towards everyone for no reason, even though he had nothing to back himself up. He was so full of himself at some point that he arrogantly thought he could beat Cynthia and Alder and basically made it clear he thought he was above them (even having a smug grin on his face when approaching them). Boy, that is delusion at its finest. Good thing Alder took him down a couple of notches afterwards. Dude barely had any genuinely compelling battles with Ash or a real dynamic with him other than Trip calling Ash a hillbilly and calling Kanto the boonies, which does nothing but make me despise Trip overall.

Dude was an unpleasant and downright contemptible sight of a character and he was the one person in the anime that I genuinely dislike. Like sure, Paul may not have a likable personality and was an asshole, but he was a genuinely strong and experienced Trainer who had very different views from Ash in how to best train Pokémon to become strong, but a similar level of experience, and the constant differences between them created a genuinely compelling rivalry. Plus Paul's obsession with strength is revealed to be driven by his disappointment in his brother and determination not to fail like he did. Not to mention, the dude may have been harsh and stern with his mons, but he had the bite to back up his bark and unlike Trip, he at least knew his limits and respects strong Trainers like Cynthia and acknowledges other's strength when they prove themselves worthy. Gary Oak on the other hand may have also been full of himself but he at least had popularity to back himself up: like the guy had a car and had an entire posse of fangirls at his behest, and was "cooler" than Ash and was always a step ahead of him, so again, he had something to back his boastfulness up, and combined with the fact that the two had a contentious relationship to begin with that also created for a genuine and contentious rivalry, especially when it ended off at the Johto League and their relationship changed.

Trip genuinely had nothing to make himself a really compelling rival to Ash in any way, and unlike Gary and Paul, he certainly had nothing to back up his assholery or his massive ego. It's like they tried to hit similar notes as both Gary and Paul with Trip but failed miserably at replicating what made either of them good rivals to Ash.

Trip is genuinely the one character where I'd be happy if he never shows up again ever in the anime. Unpleasant personality that made him a pain to watch, dude certainly had no bark to back up his bite as anyone who wasn't Ash crushed his ass most of the time (and this only served to make BW Ash look even worse than he already did), and the dude never had any truly compelling dynamic with Ash as a rival. He's the character I remember for the fact that I dislike him quite a bit honestly as both a person and a character.

They're also unlikely to bring back any of the league-only rivals as much as some people want to see Ash finally win over them. Like Richie, Harrison/Tyson, Tobias or Cameron, etc...I really can't see them returning. They merely only existed to prevent Ash from winning those leagues and that's all their characters were for. I mean I've wanted Ash to finally beat Richie in a battle since I was a kid and I know that's probably never going to happen.
You know they actually brought back Richie during the whirl islands arc back in johto... which makes him and Gary the only rival to make an appearance outside of their debut region beyond flashbacks and cameos.

You know they actually brought back Richie during the whirl islands arc back in johto... which makes him and Gary the only rival to make an appearance outside of their debut region beyond flashbacks and cameos.
Richie also got a little OVA to himself during the gen 3 era, going to mt ember and doing a moltres thing

I still doubt we'd do anything with him, there's bigger rival fish to fry, but so far as the "league stopper" rivals go he has some notability to him.

The first ep of Dawn's cameo aired in Japan today, although Dawn herself doesn't appear until about 10 minutes into the episode. Most of the beginning was Koharu/Chloe going on her own journey to Sinnoh for the first time. She stumbles onto Dawn and then they hit it off, get a bit annoyed with each other, and become friends. The writers also parallel'd the Ash/Go dynamic with Dawn/Koharu, with an experienced trainer and rookie trainer traveling.

Ash/Go don't arrive in Sinnoh till the next ep so they didn't see Dawn yet. And the Darkrai/Cresselia and TR action scenes are all saved for next week. Unfortunately we only saw Piplup in this episode since Dawn didn't let any of her other pokemon out, so we have no idea if her team changed or she made any new captures. Doesn't seem like we're going to be seeing anything but Piplup in this 2-parter...

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Watched today's episode and I really enjoy Chloe and Dawn's dynamic! One of my favorite things about guest appearances of previous traveling companions is seeing them interact with the current cast members of that series and I found Chloe and Dawn's friendship to be quite great! It was kind of funny seeing the interesting contrast between them that led to them being annoyed with each other for a bit (Chloe is very practical and careful while Dawn's just vibing and enjoying the ride which annoys the former a bit) but they still got along really well and it was a fun watch.

Ash and Goh didn't do much in this episode but it'll be interesting next ep when they cross paths with Dawn and Chloe and same with Cresselia and Darkrai, and what will they do against Team Rocket and their evil plans? I'm looking forward to next week for sure!

Second part was nice, a lot of Dawn/Koharu bonding, Dawn performed a contest appeal for Koharu in a new dress, and the climax was the TR characters vs. Darkrai and the others. Brock even got two references! We didn't see any of Dawn's other pokemon but I don't mind that too much, but I can see how some would be disappointed.

Also:

They REALLY upped the "girl love" vibes with Dawn and Koharu this ep. I guess Dawn always interacts well with girls no matter the season (with May in DP, Iris in BW, and now Koharu...lol)

hey now technically we did see

Togekiss! Of all pokemon.
I kind of figured a flashback would have something like her posing with all her pokemon and a ribbon, but i guess only togekiss gets to cameo.

Dawn's new dress is really nice.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They REALLY upped the "girl love" vibes with Dawn and Koharu this ep. I guess Dawn always interacts well with girls no matter the season (with May in DP, Iris in BW, and now Koharu...lol)
Don't forget Dawn's lesyay rivalry with Zoey.

hey now technically we did see

Togekiss! Of all pokemon.
I kind of figured a flashback would have something like her posing with all her pokemon and a ribbon, but i guess only togekiss gets to cameo.
What's wrong with Togekiss? It's one of her main and more powerful Pokemon.

That said, I thought maybe they kept the cameo for Dawn's other Pokemon out because they already covered them... except we still haven't seen a Pachirisu & Mamoswine. In addition we also still need to see a Lopunny and Typhlosion, and if Iris is able to evolve Axew all the way to a Haxorus I think Dawn evolving her Buneary whom she's very close with and Quilava which is another of her more battle-focused mon would be less of an extreme. But yeah, off with those gaps missing they didn't just have them get checked via Dawn.

Dress is pretty, like the gradient effect.

I'd drift over to Buneary (who showed up frequently thanks to being her second teammate) or Mamoswine (who went off type for Dawn's team, had to go through the whole thing of learning how to earn its respect and so on and was itself a power house) before even glancing at Togekiss, the late gift Pokemon she got for her finale, frankly.

The end of the ep said there will be a Dialga/Palkia themed 2-parter in the Fall, most likely when the DP remakes come out. I do think there's a small possibility Dawn might appear one more time in that arc since it'll be when her remakes actually release, and if she does we might see some of her other pokemon then. Makes sense to have her appear when she's still going to be the main playable avatar character of two upcoming games. But that's not confirmed yet, but I think it's kinda likely and I'd be surprised if this is the last we see of Dawn when the DP remakes don't even come out for another few months.

Second part was nice, a lot of Dawn/Koharu bonding, Dawn performed a contest appeal for Koharu in a new dress, and the climax was the TR characters vs. Darkrai and the others. Brock even got two references! We didn't see any of Dawn's other pokemon but I don't mind that too much, but I can see how some would be disappointed.

Also:

Zoey is triggered. :psysly:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)