SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

I suppose it makes sense, in a way, that Ash leads with fighting the one guy he's never faced. He or Lance, I suppose.

Alain going against Leon first thing is super funny though.

i'm wondering if we ever saw ash's squirtle come back after charizard did in unova
Squirtle cameoed in one of the Kanto episodes for the SM anime though I think it's still with the squad.

Other thing I meant to ask on a more serious note, but is Journeys confirmed to be the final story with Ash as the protagonist, let alone the final series of the TV anime as we know it? We never heard foreshadowing of a Journeys 2 or a real timeskip.

Other thing I meant to ask on a more serious note, but is Journeys confirmed to be the final story with Ash as the protagonist, let alone the final series of the TV anime as we know it? We never heard foreshadowing of a Journeys 2 or a real timeskip.
They've not said anything of the sort.

But it's not like we really had much of a lead up to Journeys either. They announced it in September 2019.

The idea passed through my mind too, especially when I was thinking about the movie situation, but I doubt it's the end.

I have some terrible news for not just Pokemon fans, but also Fire Emblem, Persona, and Jojo Bizzare Adventure's fans. Two days ago, voice actor Billy Kametz passed away from Stage 4 Colon Cancer at age 35.

photo_20220611_WP0025170_0_20220611.jpg

For the Pokemon anime, he gave the voices of Dr. Zed, Ash's Rotom Phone, and Ren most notably. He was also the voice of Blue in Pokemon Masters EX. His non-Pokemon roles include Ferdinand von Aegir from Fire Emblem, Takuto Makuri from Persona 5, and Josuke Hitagawa from Josuke's Bizzare Adventures.

RIP Billy. :psysad: I will never forget how much I enjoyed Ferdinand talking and saying the famous line, " I am Ferdinand von Aegir ! ".

If anyone is interested in donating flowers to Billy's funeral, here is the link: https://obits.pennlive.com/us/obituaries/pennlive/name/billy-kametz-obituary?id=35161536

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Alain going against Leon first thing is super funny though.
I see it more of a classic "build up the new guy by have him defeat the guy who previously defeated the protagonist". Ash lost to Alain, and now Alain is going to lose to Leon, a shortcut for viewers since the Kalos League that Leon is on a whole other level that Ash previously couldn't even beat the level before it. Ash has grown since then of course, and without a battle against Alain we don't know if Ash can beat him now, but at the moment that doesn't matter to set the mood.

Also, considering Ash is facing Steven and he just trained against Paul's Gyarados, Garchomp, and Metagross, I feel it's kind of weird it's not Cynthia vs Lance next to Ash vs Steven (with Iris vs Diantha next to Leon vs Alain). And aside from Iris vs Cynthia where there's a little connection there, these battles don't really seem that exciting.

... You know what, I'm gonna say it: Ash loses to Steven. I think they're going to pull a major twist of just having Ash lose round 1. We're going to be shown that, not only is Ash not on Leon's level, he's not on ANY Champion's level (aside from Iris... and we don't know whether she became Champion because she beat Alder (who, let's be honest, isn't supposed to be a strong Champion) or because Alder already gave up the position so she just had to beat other potential candidates which isn't quite the same as beating the Champion). Iris and Alain also loses against their opponent pretty handily, with the only Round 1 match being close is the one against the experienced Champions: Leon & Diantha.

So going to say Round 2 would be Leon VS Diantha and Cynthia VS Steven and final round being Leon VS Cynthia with Leon winning.

I have some terrible news for not just Pokemon fans, but also Fire Emblem, Persona, and Jojo Bizzare Adventure's fans. Two days ago, voice actor Billy Kametz passed away from Stage 4 Colon Cancer at age 35.
RIP, prayers from his family & friends, he may not have been here long, but he certainly left his mark. :blobpensive:

I don't think Ash has ever historically been eliminated from a League tournament in the first round, and that's before getting into the discussion of this being a different structure/context (Champion tier opponents and an only 3 rounds to win) from past leagues wherein this one is a significantly bigger deal. Given how little interaction Ash has had with Steven in any series compared to Cynthia in Round 2, I don't see them eliminating him on Round 1 unless they're going for an extremely shallow subversion with no further thought behind the decision (which isn't impossible but doesn't seem to be where Journeys would go after Pokemon hitting its highest in a while).

While a loss to someone is within reason, I want to throw out the tinfoil hat theory that they will have something interrupt the League before a conclusion is reached. They left Rose unaccounted for at the end of the Darkest Day adaption, along with the Stupid-Hair Twins having yet to appear despite being involved in the post-game story where the Warrior Dogs are captured (something I would assume we'll see for Goh given his role in the Darkest Day plot, capturing Eternatus, and aversion of the general "no-capture" rule for Legendaries for his plot line).

I'm generally skeptical of thinking they'll let Ash win this regardless, since a win would kind of put him on top of his most consistent goal as a Trainer with a new gen incoming (which ironically has an open-world structure very suited to how Journeys approached its story and episodic format) if they're not gonna/take a break from him as protag (which I doubt given he's still going after Alola made headlines as "Ash finally won a League!")

They actually brought back the Pokémon Abuser and dared to give him one of my favorite Pokémon in Gyarados. Oh anime, you are a cruel mistress. At least, they cut back on the Karma Houdini ways a little. But Paul as a Gym Leader? Similar to Iris as Unova Champion, I needed to see more on-screen development before I can buy what they are selling.

Ash should have won 3-0 for two reasons. He is a top 8 trainer in the world and to avenge the Paul-Barry battle.

Infernape still having a connection to Paul and listening to him is pretty silly. The guy, his caretaker and trainer, abused him. C'mon. That is like me having a connection with the basketball coach in ninth grade who treated me like utter garbage.

And they did Paul dirty with that Pokémon selection. They dumped his pretty good team for generic champion aces? His squad in DP was the best part of his appearances. It is kind of undercuts his whole personal development regarding Pokemon. I wanted to see him build that relationship with them. I guess there is some kind of reasoning behind it but it is probably lame.

And not having Paul participate in the tournament is OOC. He is not for festivities. I guess his participation in all those tournaments and leagues must have been his doppelganger.

Thanks for visiting, Paul. Never come back.

So we are not getting that Ash/Alain rematch yet. Interesting choice. I guess we had to have a Charizard versus Charizard battle.

Ash vs Cynthia will make the DP crowd happy. They have had blue balls since 2008! My lady Diantha better sweep that overrated Flying Master Lance.

I see it more of a classic "build up the new guy by have him defeat the guy who previously defeated the protagonist". Ash lost to Alain, and now Alain is going to lose to Leon, a shortcut for viewers since the Kalos League that Leon is on a whole other level that Ash previously couldn't even beat the level before it. Ash has grown since then of course, and without a battle against Alain we don't know if Ash can beat him now, but at the moment that doesn't matter to set the mood.

Also, considering Ash is facing Steven and he just trained against Paul's Gyarados, Garchomp, and Metagross, I feel it's kind of weird it's not Cynthia vs Lance next to Ash vs Steven (with Iris vs Diantha next to Leon vs Alain). And aside from Iris vs Cynthia where there's a little connection there, these battles don't really seem that exciting.

... You know what, I'm gonna say it: Ash loses to Steven. I think they're going to pull a major twist of just having Ash lose round 1. We're going to be shown that, not only is Ash not on Leon's level, he's not on ANY Champion's level (aside from Iris... and we don't know whether she became Champion because she beat Alder (who, let's be honest, isn't supposed to be a strong Champion) or because Alder already gave up the position so she just had to beat other potential candidates which isn't quite the same as beating the Champion). Iris and Alain also loses against their opponent pretty handily, with the only Round 1 match being close is the one against the experienced Champions: Leon & Diantha.

So going to say Round 2 would be Leon VS Diantha and Cynthia VS Steven and final round being Leon VS Cynthia with Leon winning.

RIP, prayers from his family & friends, he may not have been here long, but he certainly left his mark. :blobpensive:
Considering that they said they originally weren't even going to SHOW the battles not featuring Ash in an interview with writer Tomioka, that would be mean Ash VS Steven would be the only on-screen battle, and the rest of the battles would be off-screen shown only as still sketches. The producers got them to change their minds, but the point still stands. Plus the first round is 3v3, so half of Ash's Pokemon would go unused if he lost in the first round.

Ash is definitely making it to Leon, as that's been his goal the whole series. The question is whether or not he'll BEAT Leon. I'm thinking he'll at least tie to prove that he's Leon's equal.

One thing. I noticed when looking for musics, the anime opening in latest episode has Regieleki as part of Gou's catches.

We have assumed that it'd be handed over to Project Mew, but is it not the case and he literally just caught a second legendary mon that he's allowed to keep? Not to mention within same assumption, Gary would then also have Regidrago.

Also, there's also things that bother me. Now the threshold of "Ash must win" might be a bit lower since he won (and represents) Alola, but it's possible for him to at least lose to Cynthia. So I'm thinking of alternative endings that they might just pull another close defeat, among other possibilities.

Paul's team might be a foreshadowing, yet Lance is on another side of the bracket and likely would be victim to either Leon or Diantha. I feel like losing to Cynthia is a perfect possibility, but then it's possible for her to then win against Leon (come on now, who isn't tired with his shilling, both in game and anime? He always seems to me as someone who has to lose sometimes)
If Cynthia wins, that would make one little boost to the Sinnoh games and shakes his Undefeatable Record (TM), so it's a good possibility. Although Leon staying undefeatable (again :pikuh:) against either Ash or Cynthia is possible too to keep the anime going with Ash's goal unfulfilled despite SV coming now.
Well, of course I'd hope for Ash to at least reach Finals, but.... Well, at least the more conventional storytelling is much more possible.

That, or maybe just throw in Rose and Olive again for Darkest Day V2 in middle of a match, maybe with those two anime hair fops too.

So I assume this whole tournament will still be about 8 episodes long. Accounting for a 2 week break that probably puts us around mid august. And then I assume we have Goh's final trial, but I dunno if that'll necessarily be 8 episodes (even the Grand Festivals only took about 5 iirc). Basically still a lot of episodes un accounted for until the SV anime.
Guess this is a return of Best Wishes style "ash just has a lot of downtime"

The thing about Leon is that for all the shilling, he is still made to be beaten so that all the hype carries into "doesn't it feel awesome that you could win against him?" in the games, and that's definitely what they're going for here up to now in the anime if Ash is allowed to win

On top of that, Leon already had a bit about how despite being the best, he doesn't want to rest on his laurels or assume he can't get stronger, I would imagine Ash of all characters to have a similar mindset after this many regions, certainly after winning the Alola League and then finding so many people that could wreck him if he got cocky in battle or didn't learn their style.

Heck, it might be a way to transition Ash into a more free-form style of journey for Gen 9 stuff, to parallel the more open-world approach SV are touting in their previews. Having won a big organized event like this, Ash goes to just sort of travel more to learn about himself and his team rather than approach a structured challenge like the League, see what he can learn from a different perspective.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Not gonna lie, Hop as a joke characters just works, he better stays for the rest of the season.
I wonder how long we will have to wait between rounds, this may be the best tournament arc we ever had, everyone getting full battles is nice, but the only reason this one wasnt a 3-0 is that Leon didnt lead with Charizard.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well that certainly was a start to the tournament.

Alain went up against Leon first thing as we all knew, but he managed to put up a good fight before going down, his Chesnaught was rad even if it lost to Leon's Rillaboom, that Grass starter vs. Grass starter battle was solid. Alain was in the PWC because he wanted to become stronger with his Charizard and reached the Masters 8 in hopes of battling Leon and his Charizard, and hoping to surpass him, sadly for him, Leon beat him and Leon's Charizard still came out on top.

Next episode will be Diantha vs. Lance. It seems we're getting one battle per episode for this arc: so Cynthia vs. Iris as the episode after Lance vs. Diantha, and then Ash vs. Steven after that. Then the next two eps will be the semifinals, and then we'll have two-three as the finale for Ash vs. Leon.

115 had the opening ceremony as the first half, and we got plenty of interactions between the Masters 8 members. Like Iris and Ash being the young ones of the group.

But most of all, a beautiful selfie with Cynthia, Diantha, and Iris! Three ladies as Champions slayin' together and taking a pic together, you love to see it!

This is absolutely BASED!!!! Two sapphics and their honorary adopted daughter, you love to see it!

Anyway, the tournament arc has officially started, so now we shall see how the battles roll until the inevitable finale of Ash vs. Leon

I'm used-enough to Tournament arcs having a few throwaway fights, but I feel a bit cheated by how easily Leon puts Alain down overall, as it makes him seem absurdly impossible to beat from a writing perspective given how strong we know Alain to be as a point of comparison (plus generally implied power gaps like Mega Zard-X vs normal Zard). This doesn't feel like one of the battles you should be doing THIS small scale, and makes me wary to see how subsequent battles like Lance/Diantha are going to be handled, much less the "we know how these matches will go" ones.

Final part of the Hisuian snow miniseries. Comes with a new mask mystery gift in PLA:

Disappointed in the finale of this miniseries, to be honest. I was hoping to actually see Zoroark in action, but they went with the boring "obscured by magical smoke" shtick. If they weren't going to have it battle the Garchomp, it should have at least used its illusion ability to make a lot of copies or a giant fake Zoroark to scare the Garchomp away, not just spook with some purple mood lighting.

Also, Alec's howl at the end was, as the kids say, kind of cringe.

They actually brought back the Pokémon Abuser and dared to give him one of my favorite Pokémon in Gyarados. Oh anime, you are a cruel mistress. At least, they cut back on the Karma Houdini ways a little. But Paul as a Gym Leader? Similar to Iris as Unova Champion, I needed to see more on-screen development before I can buy what they are selling.
He was asked to become a Gym leader, he isn't one yet. He was going to Oak's for pointers and to train Ash.

Ash should have won 3-0 for two reasons. He is a top 8 trainer in the world and to avenge the Paul-Barry battle.

Infernape still having a connection to Paul and listening to him is pretty silly. The guy, his caretaker and trainer, abused him. C'mon. That is like me having a connection with the basketball coach in ninth grade who treated me like utter garbage.

And they did Paul dirty with that Pokémon selection. They dumped his pretty good team for generic champion aces? His squad in DP was the best part of his appearances. It is kind of undercuts his whole personal development regarding Pokemon. I wanted to see him build that relationship with them. I guess there is some kind of reasoning behind it but it is probably lame.
Nah, the point is to show that Paul is still incredibly strong and their battle reflect that. Also Paul always rotated his Pokemon (the team he battled Ash with in the league was different than the one he used at the lake battle), and he specifically used pokemon owned by champions to train Ash. As seen with Electrivire he still has his older pokemon. Seeing Paul push Ash's current pokemon to their limits proves they're still on even ground and he could have been in the champion league himsef if he wanted.

And not having Paul participate in the tournament is OOC. He is not for festivities. I guess his participation in all those tournaments and leagues must have been his doppelganger.
It's actually perfectly in character, Paul was always a loner and he only entered competitions in DP for specific reasons. As soon as he lost or they ended like the tag battle tournament or Sinnoh league he went off. There's also a scene of Paul looking disgusted at Ash entering the Wallace Cup on TV in DP. Paul has no interest in fame or festivities as he puts it. The ep gave him a lot of development from his former self, telling Electrivire to play with Pikachu and Grookey, sitting in the grass willing to train with Ash, and going to Oak for advice on how to become a Gym leader. It's perfectly fitting for him without changing his character too much but still giving him development. He would have never done this stuff back in DP.

They did Alain dirty recently by bringing him back for less than half an episode, but they did Paul (and Gary) incredibly well.

Irida's slightly darker hair in the second pic really does fuel the speculation of her being a May ancestor, like without the background knowledge of the game you would assume that is May sitting there on the right. Kind of fitting, since May sort of wound up being the prototype/progenitor character that paved the way for nearly every playable female companion in the games and the ones in the anime going forward since she was one of the first ones. (Poor Kris/Marina gets overlooked because not everyone played Crystal version back in 2001 so she's more obscure).

The gens being shorter now and so many new characters is also kind of why characters get lost in the shuffle these days, because nowadays there's so many new human characters introduced in both the games/anime that they only have a short time in the spotlight before the franchise moves on already to the next characters.

Sorta why it feels like Gens 1-4 went on forever, but everything since from BW onward just flies by in no time.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After a two-week break, the Masters Tournament in Journeys is back in session. Today's match...Lance vs. Diantha!

It was a battle of sheer power vs. strategy, with Lance relying on "offense is the best defense" as his battle style, something very well reflected in his GSC/HGSS team, and Diantha relying on strategical maneuvers to give herself the edge against Lance. The matchup was Lance's Gyarados, Hydreigon, and (Dynamax) Dragonite against Diantha's Aurorus, Gourgeist, and Mega Gardevoir. As I said, Lance's strategy was brute force which is in line with how his Johto games team is structured, but Diantha on the other hand pulled tactics, namely with Aurorus setting up both Light Screen and Reflect to soften blows from Lance's Pokemon. Gourgeist had a clever strategy with Trick-or-Treat to add the Ghost-type to Lance's Pokemon, namely his Gyarados, so it could hit them super effectively with Ghost moves, something that succeeded in single handedly defeating Gyarados. Even though both Aurorus and Gourgeist went down to Dragonite and Hydreigon, respectively, Diantha came in with Mega Gardevoir and single handedly took down both Hydreigon and Dragonite by itself, the latter after a Dragonite Dynamaxed and a Mega vs. Dynamax showdown happened before Dynamax wore off.

With that, Diantha emerged victorious, as I predicted a while back, which means Diantha advances to the semifinals and is Leon's opponent, officially deeming the first match of the semifinals as Leon vs. Diantha. A battle between two strategical battlers, this will be an interesting match to see, especially since both evidently prepare for their opponents beforehand. Diantha is also an actress and sees her battles as performances, so Leon looks forward to performing alongside her.

Iris vs. Cynthia will start in next week's episode, and the battle starts off at the end of the episode, with Iris starting off with...lo and behold...Excadrill! Meanwhile Cynthia leads off with Gastrodon. Based on the preview, this will be a great battle, so I look forward to this one in particular for next week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)