SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

I looked up Dogasu's old comparison and it is very funny how he harps on this line change
Satoshi: "Pigeot! Good luck!"Ash: "See you soon, Pidgeot!"

And then there's the last line. No, ladies and gentlemen, Satoshi doesn't actually promise to come back for his Pigeot in the Japanese version, that whole thing is just another in a long line of annoying 4Kids rewrites. But unfortunately the English dub is so ingrained in people's consciousness at this point in the show's history that I feel like we'll have to be explaining this 20 years from now.
but overlooks that both versions do still say they'll be back
サ トシ「用事を済ませたらすぐに帰ってくるから」Satoshi: "We'll be back as soon as we finish our errand."Ash: "We'll be back as soon as we get Professor Oak's Poké Ball
presumably with the unstated intention to specifically see Pidgeot again.

4kids does a lot of dumb line changes but "See you soon, Pidgeot!" is such a simple, non-commital line that can easily fit with the previous line about coming back anyway

Well that's it, Ash and Pikachu are no longer our main protagonists! It's a v sad feeling, when Pokémon came over to the UK I was v young but my Mum saw I liked it and literally showered my childhood with it, so to see a character I literally grew up with (and used to identify with a lot) be retired, it's really sad, but I'm happy to see where his Journey led him and I'm looking forward to the new series.

Some tidbits from today's episode;
Tracey's Venonat evolved into Venomoth
Pidgeot returns! Not sure if it stayed with Ash, as I haven't seen the whole episode yet but he reunited with it

A new trailer has been released for the next season, too;

Interesting that Liko's pendant seems to be connected to Rayquaza, not Roy. Does it have the power to terastallize any Pokemon, not just her own? Although it could be good ol' fashioned misdirection.

Also confirmed to be called Pokemon Horizons in the west!

was the Pokemon friends we made along the way.

So long Ash, and thanks for all the Qwilfish. See you in 20 years when Liko challenges the Masters 8.
he aimed to elf master and got it

But seriously, it seems that this was the third step towards becoming a Pokemon master. First the Alola League, then Masters 8, then making friends with all the Pokemon in the world.

Disappointing finale.

Pidgeot returning is nice, but I guess fueling Kanto nostalgia was more important than ensuring all the prior companies received some attention.

At least, Ash won the World Title.
But previous companions did, in Journeys.

Cilan, Misty and Brock didn’t appear in Journeys in any proper way. Brock was in the Arceus chronicles but purely because he was there in DP. Aim to Be a Master also let us see those 3 again.

We saw Dawn, a lot, but probably she’s one of the more popular girls and to tie in with the heavy DP promo. I was a little disappointed they never gave her substance other than to spur on Chloe though.

Serena appeared again to help Chloe but also gave a really good update on her own life and her development from XYZ was apparent so it was a nice closure for her.

May could not appear. Her Japanese VA has retired due to illness. And it would appear disrespectful to replace her. That’s probably why we got the random Glaceon filler. Otherwise it would’ve been May. Max by extension can really only appear with May.

Lillie got some of the best closure and Bonnie/Clemont also had a good 2 parter as well. And well Iris, we’ve seen. The companions received a good send off throughout Journeys. Aim to Be a Master wasn’t for them, it was for Ash.

I get disappointment with it, but it wasn’t meant to be anything more than just a nice send off. People were expecting Tobias rematches, Quilava evolutions etc and I feel like people just set themselves up. Altho the Latias storyline was *so* wasted I truly can’t believe it led up to that.

It ending with Pidgeot rejoining his team was a nice ending. Could’ve been a lot better but not nearly as bad as people are making out.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
was the Pokemon friends we made along the way.

So long Ash, and thanks for all the Qwilfish. See you in 20 years when Liko challenges the Masters 8.
*Shrugs* The thing is, I kind of expected Ash to continue his journeys. The thing about the title "Pokemon Master" is that its such a nebulous thing, there's no point where you can say you've "reached it" and questionable if its even possible. Sure, some characters such as the Champions have been called "Pokemon Masters"... but said characters have been defeated in battle. One can be a Pokemon Master yet still lose?

Also, you have to battle in order to be a Pokemon Master? Does that mean it's impossible for a Coordinator of Stylist to be a Pokemon Master? A Pokemon Professor who knows more about Pokemon than any of the current people called Pokemon Masters? A Breeder who knows how to bring out the best in a Pokemon? A Collector who may have more Pokemon? Or how about we flip it, shouldn't these skills also be something a Pokemon Master should have?

Going Zen Mode here, but maybe the way to become a Pokemon Master is to accept there is no such thing as a Pokemon Master. It's an ideal to strive for, something to use to become the best person you can be in whatever path of life you choose to take; but aside "smaller" titles such as a Master Trainer, Master Coordinator, Master Breeder, etc., an all around "Pokemon Master" isn't possible. And then, once you realize that, you no longer need to reach to become a Pokemon Master, as it's no longer a thing you are concerned about.

Ash still not feeling like he's a Pokemon Master despite being the World Champion and now thinking he needs to be friends with ALL Pokemon still shows he has still much to learn. More growing to do. Figuring out who he truly is. Until the day comes where he accepts a truth that he's not ready to accept just yet. And in that case, befriending ALL Pokemon is a good goal... for it too also impossible, therefore it'll keep Ash journeying until he's ready.

Disappointing finale.
The only disappointing thing about the finale is the Rocket Trio. So in the end, they're still following Ash around. Ash is the World Champion and 99% of the time he'll likely have powerful Pokemon on him at his beck and call, but no they'll keep on trying to catch Pikachu for Giovanni. Ride together, die together, bad guys for life.

Liko is from Paldea, but attending a boarding school in Kanto. Roy is from Kanto.
Wait, really? We're staying in Kanto? Come on GF, if you're going to start with new protags at least have them start out in the new region, especially if Liko is going to be offered the Paldean Starters.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We saw Dawn, a lot, but probably she’s one of the more popular girls and to tie in with the heavy DP promo. I was a little disappointed they never gave her substance other than to spur on Chloe though.
The thing with Dawn I feel is that her arc throughout DP was very much conclusive by the end of the series and she had all of her character development in her own series itself, so she doesn't really have anywhere else to go as a character except to maybe become Top Coordinator, which isn't a conclusion they seem to be willing to give anyone (ie have them fully achieve their goal), barring Lillie due to the nature of her story. Like don't get me wrong, I would have loved if it turned out that Dawn did win a Grand Festival and became a Top Coordinator, but they don't want to do that because they want to portray just about everyone as constantly on a journey and still working towards their ultimate goals, and in Dawn's case, to become a Top Coordinator is her ultimate goal and to do so would mean her journey effectively would be completely concluded and over and she would have a reason to stop travelling completely because she would have nothing to work towards anymore.

So any time she ever could return post-DP she's just basically there to be her fun and lovable self. She's a fully realized character who at this point can only really just contribute to other characters and have interactions with them, because we all know as far as her own journey is concerned she's just doing her usual thing of travelling regions and competing in Contests and so it's not really worth bringing up in a significant capacity: her character arc already had its resolution at the end of DP and the only thing they can do with her now is have her be a Top Coordinator, which in their eyes would likely lead to her...not actively having anything to work towards anymore.

In general while in part it's because I love Dawn and she's one of the most formative characters for me, I did like her returns in Journeys overall. Her first return in the summer two-parter was pretty fun, and she showed her experience as a veteran traveler and Coordinator with Chloe, and she showed her development from DP in little, albeit neat ways. She mentions that she's competed in multiple regions like Hoenn, Unova, and Johto in addition to her home region, highlighting the fact that she's an experienced traveler and Trainer, and she mainly shows Chloe the sheer fun of being on an adventure, since Chloe's thing during this two parter was this being the first time she went on a journey/adventure on her own. From a little thing like immediately dealing with her and Chloe's bed-hair when the woke up with messy hair in the morning and taking it in stride (early DP Dawn would make a big fuss over her appearance and refuse to show herself to anyone with her bedhead), to taking the travelling in stride and enjoying the little things around her on the path (Chloe starts out very practical and restrained, focused on the destination, not the journey and the things you can enjoy along the way), which while led to Chloe being resistant at first, she eventually takes things in stride and learns to just have fun with her friends, especially at the end with Goh and Ash. And she also shows a Contest appeal with Piplup to introduce Chloe to the world of Contests, basically the idea of doing things with your Pokemon. It's a relatively simple return but she shows her experience and the development she had in DP in little ways.

Her subsequent returns were largely a BDSP special and PLA special but she shows her experience by jumping in to save the day along with the other heroes during her returns. They focus more on her protagonist side in a way, but she as usual contributed to saving the day and doing her part. Her last in-person return was being a cheerleader for Ash in the stands during his big climactic battle with Leon, tying into her being the cheerleader during DP on many occasions, and since Chloe was there on Goh's behalf since Goh had to dip on Ash last minute she stuck with Dawn since they were close.

But yeah, in any case, her returns were simple, but they were fun. She didn't show much change admittedly, yes, but that's because she had all of her character development in DP itself and there was nowhere else for her character to go except for her to reach her ultimate goal, which would effectively mean she has nothing to work towards anymore and they don't want to do that for anyone, including Ash himself as today's conclusion proved.

It's in stark contrast to say, Serena, for instance, where the way Serena's character was written off at the end of XYZ left room for her character to develop in a certain way. Her resolution at the end of XYZ was figuring out what she wanted to be a Performer for, and she decided that her reason for wanting to be a Performer was that she wanted to become someone who was like Aria: someone who could inspire others, to help others and give them the push towards their dreams. Someone who can give others strength with her performances. Which is why she decided upon Palermo's advice to travel to Hoenn on her own and gain experience on her own terms towards that aim. And that showed in her appearance in Journeys when Chloe came to meet her, and Serena showed her character development as a natural extension of her resolution at the end of XYZ, being a role model for Chloe, being able to give her advice and encouraging her to give the Contest a shot, and in turn discover a new side to herself. Chloe took after her advice and took on the Contest Spectacular and she learned what it was like to do things with her Pokemon that she can't do on her own, and that gave her the courage and will to take on new challenges.

Serena had a lot of change shown in her return (which I absolutely loved), and that's because the writers had that ability to make that character development with her because the way she was written off at the end of her series explicitly gave her character direction to develop and in the manner it did. Her return was effectively the payoff to her resolution, becoming the kind of person she aspired to be, the kind who can give others strength, give others advice, and maybe be able to help others find their dreams.

The only disappointing thing about the finale is the Rocket Trio. So in the end, they're still following Ash around. Ash is the World Champion and 99% of the time he'll likely have powerful Pokemon on him at his beck and call, but no they'll keep on trying to catch Pikachu for Giovanni. Ride together, die together, bad guys for life.
Yeah, at this point Ash and the Rocket Trio have a relationship that has basically become an eternal frenemies for life relationship and nothing will ever change about that.

At the same time, I don't think either of them actually want that relationship to change ever. In a recent interview, it was mentioned that ironically, Ash is grateful to have Jessie, James, and Meowth in his life. It is because of their repeated antics and attempts to capture Pikachu, and him fighting them off, that they have grown even closer together, and they have gotten as far as they have now in part because of the Rocket trio. And on the other hand, I think the trio themselves understand this, and so does Ash, and so that relationship is a very ironic two way frenemy one that both sides actually value. The Rocket trio have also shown in many ways that they do care about Ash and like him, and when Ash is in his big League tournaments they have always rooted for his victory. Especially in Ash vs Leon, where they were there in the stands, but they were also among the people highlighted, along with Ash's companions, Cynthia, and Diantha who were shown in a montage all worrying together for Pikachu when the latter was at its wit's end and altogether hoping for Pikachu to come through and prevail over Leon.

So that relationship is gonna stay as is. Frankly the Rocket trio themselves are not actually inherently evil despite their jobs and have their good side to them, which I think is why their relationship with Ash is so distinct and in a way is basically a frenemy style relationship, and both sides would consider it weird now if they weren't in each others' lives the way they are now.

Last edited:
A Pokemon Master is something Ash came up with himself, so wanting to befriend every Pokemon in the world that he meets is fitting, and fits with the core themes of the series since the first season. These last 11 eps have constantly showed Ash help wild Pokemon he doesn't own, so they were reinforcing it through the series.

As a whole Team Rocket/Giovanni still being around is probably the biggest loose end of the series, so I hope we get a future movie/special that results in them being the villains and disbanded. As a whole I'm glad they didn't rush a TR conclusion in these last 11 eps now, I'd rather a movie for it down the line.

As an aside, boy do the writers hate Ash's Primeape. It's the only released Pokemon Ash never reunited with even once. They could have given it a still screen image or something like with Butterfree, but it got nothing.

At this point I do not think they are ever going to "end" the TR/Giovanni """plotline"""

They dedicated 3 episodes, likely the final 3 of their run, to them breaking up (again) and getting back together (again) and still with team rocket (again). If there was ever a point for them to leave TR behind and do their own thing, this was probably the best opportunity.

In my mind there was no conceivable way to provide a proper finale to a 25+ year show like Pokémon in the span of 11 episodes. If you want to bring proper closure to all the of tiniest aspects of the show, then you'll get an uneven production, one that rushes through each conclusion, leaving yourself disappointed over how they were treated. I also think that expecting greatness from a show like Pokémon is setting your expectations to high. Pokémon was never the peak of storytelling; it's fundamentally meant to serve as an advertisement for the greater Pokémon franchise, ergo get children to beg their parents to buy them toys, games, trading cards, etc.. That doesn't mean that you can't craft compelling characters and stories, or events which makes people become deeply invested in them, as we can see with many people posting in this very thread, but one must accept what the franchise is at its core. You can love something, and still approach it critically.

The thing that bothers me the most about this 11-parter is that it never gave the feeling that Ash was truly a champion, except for the one time when the fans flocked around him at the end of an episode. Ash's popularity in the Pokéverse should be akin to that of, say, Lionel Messi, Armand Duplantis, Magnus Carlsen, or whichever male athlete is at the top of the popularity charts these days. That impression was only given once, and as a result the show feels like it never properly followed up on the conclusion of Ash's journey in... well... Journeys. The thing that tied these episodes together ended up being Latias stalking Ash, and if it wasn't for that it didn't give the sense that this was all that different from any other event in the franchise. Is that necessarily a bad thing, for the finale of Ash's journey to closely mimic what it has been? I wouldn't say so, but did it give the impression that this was leading into Ash's grand exit from the anime? I wouldn't say so either.

Ultimately though I'm just happy that Pokémon is getting a fresh start with Liko and Roy next month. Ash's story has been told, and people will make lengthy articles and YouTube video essays (they probably have) over what has transpired over all these years. Let his tale be chronicled, and remembered for the things he did, and for the things the show did. Chances are the reason you're reading this is because you were first introduced to Pokémon by watching Ash on TV many years; I know I still remember watching the first episode on TV back when it aired. Give it a few years and you may just see people saying they were introduced to it because they saw a girl with a green cat on TV when they were kids.

See y'all on 14th April, when the next journey begins.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
It was a nice episode, but I think the whole season would have worked better if the meeting with Gary was at the beginning of it instead of the final episode.
I would have liked if we had a final Ash vs Giovanny battle before the series ended, but oh well, I guess that evil organization will get away with everything after all.
The way this ended just leave it open for them to return to these characters whenever they want in any way they could want, so I fully expect a special or movie announced sooner than later, but I'm happy with them ending the show this way, Ash will still be having adventures out there, we just won't see them.

Took a look at the first page of this thread, it was started back in 2012, over a decade ago, when Best Wishes was airing.

Imagine telling someone back in 2012, when BW was airing which of course wasn't well received at the time, that the anime would end with Ash in about a decade later. Crazy to think also how much the anime continually changed from BW into XY, and then again into SM, and now into Journey's and these last 11 episodes.

If you told anyone what happened in these last 10 years, all the different animation changes and companions or Pokemon Ash would have, it would all sound like crazy fanfiction.

The episode was good, but felt like the standard ending episode from past series. If they didn't announce that the next series would feature a new protagonist, then I would have expected the next series to start Ash off traveling to the new region. I think a few things like Team Rocket were left a bit too open-ended as well, since all the various developments over the seasons felt like they were building up to something.

Ah well, I'll miss our friend Ashy-boy, but I think its for the best the anime moves on to pursuing new developments with Riko and Roy. It always felt like the anime was holding itself back by having to do a delicate balance between making itself appealing to both new and older viewers, since Ash would sometimes need to have his developments reset + most of his past experiences and Pokemon mostly felt like the were being thrown away or forgotten about in favor of the new series, which is fine, but could be disappointing to see on occasion. I think starting completely fresh in each new series will make lose threads less of a nagging issue.

That being said, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think Riko and Roy will be that big of a departure from Ash & friends, at least past the first few episodes. This is because in a majority of the episodes in the anime, the characters are meant to be more side-dressing compared to main focus of the episode, which is usually the Pokemon or location that the characters are in. To me at least, most of the episodes in Pokemon Journeys were meant to be consumed as standalone episodes with minor connections to the episodes before and after them, with the primary developments centering around the Pokemon or character of the day. Ash got several developments too, but they were mostly settled around issues that he faced that season and not really related to any issues he had in prior seasons (at least from what I saw). Despite the new faces, I don't see the new anime making any massive shake-ups to this structure, which is fine. In short, I think the new anime will mostly elicit the same feel as the prior season, though perhaps with less references since the new characters are a new slate.

The latest episode was fine but in certain ways I felt it didn't execute scenes that well. I like that they actually went and tried to bother to address what Pokemon Master suppose to mean. I like Ash talking to Tracy and the anime not ignoring him as an actual character regardless of popularity or whatever. I like Ash's reaction to Venomoth. I am glad Pidgeot finally appeared and the Pidgey and Pidgeotto convinced it to be with Ash again. And I liked Gary congratulating Ash.

But this day in and out scenes were too dragged out. Pidgeot appeared a bit too sudden and left me desired seeing them spend a bit more time together considering how long we didn't see him. Team Rocket suddenly trying a solo mission immediately after the Rocket canteen scene with no indication any of them plan to do so.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah, at this point Ash and the Rocket Trio have a relationship that has basically become an eternal frenemies for life relationship and nothing will ever change about that.

At the same time, I don't think either of them actually want that relationship to change ever. In a recent interview, it was mentioned that ironically, Ash is grateful to have Jessie, James, and Meowth in his life. It is because of their repeated antics and attempts to capture Pikachu, and him fighting them off, that they have grown even closer together, and they have gotten as far as they have now in part because of the Rocket trio. And on the other hand, I think the trio themselves understand this, and so does Ash, and so that relationship is a very ironic two way frenemy one that both sides actually value. The Rocket trio have also shown in many ways that they do care about Ash and like him, and when Ash is in his big League tournaments they have always rooted for his victory. Especially in Ash vs Leon, where they were there in the stands, but they were also among the people highlighted, along with Ash's companions, Cynthia, and Diantha who were shown in a montage all worrying together for Pikachu when the latter was at its wit's end and altogether hoping for Pikachu to come through and prevail over Leon.

So that relationship is gonna stay as is. Frankly the Rocket trio themselves are not actually inherently evil despite their jobs and have their good side to them, which I think is why their relationship with Ash is so distinct and in a way is basically a frenemy style relationship, and both sides would consider it weird now if they weren't in each others' lives the way they are now.
Hm, like obviously I can't argue is that's what the anime writers are saying, but if feel "off". :blobthinking:

Regarding their opinion on one another, due to how the last few encounters went with them, I can't see Ash thinking that way. Now, had they maybe helped Ash against the Eon Duo poacher though then next episode back to trying to steal Pikachu, then maybe. A reminder that as "bad" as the Rocket Trio is, there are worse villains and despite their flaws the Rocket Trio may help. But because something like that didn't happen and the last encounters with Ash have all been them being criminals trying to steal Pokemon, I don't think Ash would care if they just suddenly vanished one day. And on a uneventful day after a long absence, a stray thought would come across Ash's mind: "say, I wonder whatever happened to Team Rocket? Maybe they realized trying to steal from the World Champion was a bad idea and decided to quit... boy I'm hungry, Pikachu let's get some grub!" and that'll be the end of Ash's concerns over the Rocket Trio. Because that's another thing, Ash is now the World Champion, he no longer "needs" Team Rocket to be "training fodder". Without them helping Ash one more time, we should be leaving on an Ash who thinks the Rocket Trio are only a group of criminals who cause trouble.

Likewise, the Rocket Trio never shown they would feel any guilt if they ever managed to successfully steal Pikachu. Of course they'll cheer on Pikachu (and by extension Ash), they see Pikachu as a valuable prize for da boss; it beating the unbeatable Charizard and becoming a World Champion Pokemon only makes it that much more valuable. Yes, WE know the Rocket Trio aren't evil and when push comes to shove they'll do the right thing, but we can't forget they are greedy and self-motivated. To them, Ash is a goodie two-shoes "twerp" who is preventing them from climbing up the Team Rocket corporate ladder by constantly stopping their schemes and preventing them from stealing his valuable Pikachu. Because, in their mind, if Pikachu is powerful in the "twerp's" control, imagine how much stronger it and Giovanni would be together! How dare Ash prevent Giovanni becoming more powerful by not letting them take away his Pikachu! Heck, there's been plenty of times they shown they don't really care about Ash's safety, some of the things they've done possibly might have killed him. Now I think they would prefer not to, just take his Pokemon and leave, but if Ash fights back well they gotta do what they gotta do to get Pikachu to the boss.

You know, now I'm thinking that instead of Ash & the Rocket Trio's last encounter being antagonistic as always it should have been time to sit back and have a talk. The Rocket Trio catch Pikachu, and while Ash would react negatively at first, Ash would then go "wait, time out", casually walk up and free Pikachu as the Rocket Trio just watch him in confusion, and they all have a sit down as Ash has a heart-to-heart conversation with them. "Look, you and I have been odds with each other since I started my journey, a lot of the times you would be doing something bad, but there were also times where you helped. So, just tell me this, what do you want? What are you hoping to get from stealing Pikachu and giving it to your boss?". And talking from there, combined with the Rocket's Trio recent bout of "quitting", do they finally decide going after Pikachu won't get them what they want. And so, they leave with a "seeya twerp, you won't be seeing us again". What happens with the Rocket Trio after that? *Shrug*. They do what their characters would do now no longer chasing after Ash & Pikachu. Maybe they stay with Team Rocket and actually work their way to the top. Or maybe they truly quit and part ways so each can do some self-discovery. Who knows, because this is Ash's story, and now that the Rocket Trio has separated from him, we no longer need to focus on them as whatever they do won't involve Ash. It's still as open-ended as what we got, but at least it would have shown the Rocket Trio has grown with both them and Ash realizing they don't need each other anymore. No longer enemies, never friends (I don't buy that "frenemy" BS for a second), no reason to ever see each other again; that's part of life.

As an aside, boy do the writers hate Ash's Primeape.
You know I thought they forgot someone aside from Pidgeot. :psynervous: Oh well, it's not like Ash promised to see Primeape again, and it's with a trainer and his daughter who are likely treating it as family so its in a good place. :blobthumbsup:

Primeape is funny to me because it was one that someone on staff actually really liked, to me; it was always a Pokemon they liked having cameo in endings and openings, even when other of Ash's Pokemon got passed over. I also feel like it got more "flashback" cameos than you'd expect of a Pokemon that was around for all of 2 episodes.

If we're looking at other released Pokemon who didn't get "true" final check ins there's also Ambipom (on one hand, it was released while it was with Dawn, on the other hand it's also a traveling pingpong champion feels like it'd be "easy" to check in on that), Goodra (Kalos swamp), Naganadel (Ultra Space, kind of fair all things considered), Larvitar (you know i feel like Journeys didnt go to Johto that often?) & Nebby (see: Naganadel).
The Leon fight had a final cameo of most of them, and another big cameo spread for Ash remembering his various released Pokemon (except Nebby, but did include Larvitar), but no actual appearence like Butterfree, Lapras and Pidgeot did.

Also Haunter. Who just never gets acknowledged anywhere. I know he didn't actually catch it (like Primeape despite being around for fewer episodes) nor did he travel with it as long as Larvitar, but it was still a fairly pivotal Pokemon he traveled with. Suppose things would have been a little confusing with Gengar around these days anyway.

I would be absolutely insufferable as a show runner and would just up the fanservice meter for the last 12 episodes with all these Pokemon until everyone was sick of me.

Also Haunter. Who just never gets acknowledged anywhere. I know he didn't actually catch it (like Primeape despite being around for fewer episodes) nor did he travel with it as long as Larvitar, but it was still a fairly pivotal Pokemon he traveled with. Suppose things would have been a little confusing with Gengar around these days anyway.
There was a Japanese commercial back in the day that showed all of the Pokemon species Ash has ever caught at that point(This was before Journeys). It included Raticate(Temporarily traded Butterfree for it), Beedrill(Gave it to Casey shortly after catching it), and Seaking(caught in the Seaking catching contest and handed it over when it ended), but NOT Haunter. It seems that as far as the writers as concerned, Ash never owned it(never was in a Pokeball or anything), it just followed him to help out with Sabrina. It was basically a shorter-term Jigglypuff in that it was a wild Pokemon that followed Ash and his friends.

Goodra and Naganadel already returned at the end of their respective sagas for the leagues, so that's probably why they didn't feel the need to revisit them now. Goodra is still Ash's as he could transfer it over if he want, albeit Nagandel is a bit harder since it's in another dimension. Probably same reason Greninja didn't get another appearance because they gave it a return in Journey's already. But I get the feeling if Ash gets a future movie/special, they're saving a prominent return for Greninja for something like that as we gear up for XY nostalgia as the years go on. (the XY games did come out 10 years ago in 2013, so...we're at that point)

I am the only one who feels that Pidgeot return was almost useless ? This pokemon was weak in battle, not very used except TR, no evolution until he left the series etc... ?

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I am the only one who feels that Pidgeot return was almost useless ? This pokemon was weak in battle, not very used except TR, no evolution until he left the series etc... ?
I agree, but Kanto anime nostalgia has led people to REALLY like Ash's Pidgeot because it left the team and people wondered if they'd ever bring it back. So its a cute bit of fanservice, I suppose. The real question is where the hell was Primeape's cameo? Is bro just gone traveling?

Speaking of Primeape, his final episode is a good example of an excellent episode with an AWFUL ending. I liked the tourney of fighting Pokemon, the family and Primeape bonding with Ash. The ending is so nonsense:

Why would the fighting dude want Primeape to turn him into a champ? Didn't Primeape already won the whole thing? Now he's taken away in the same ep he got to bond with Ash. Also isn't the conflict of the fighting guy that he spent so much time training that he neglected his family? Taking a new mon to train doesn't seem to fit with the moral of the episode...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)