Done Generation 8 CAP Updates UL Nominations

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is the thread for people to announce their desire to become an Update Leader (UL) for the Sword and Shield release CAP metagame. Do not suggest other users. If someone wants to become a UL, they will post on their own, and if they don't have a strong urge to be it then they shouldn't be signing up anyway. The CAP project requires the utmost dedication and a substantial amount of free time, especially to lead, meaning that only those who have carefully considered the magnitude of their application will apply at all. If you are not prepared to fulfill all of the responsibilities to the very end, then do not throw your hat into the ring.

We are looking to fill the following 7 positions to help us lead the creation of this update process:
  • Update Leaders: ULs are responsible for creating and managing the threads that will be used to update our past creation. They will be responsible for leading the entirety of updates to multiple CAP creations. These responsibilities include writing the thread OP, gathering the ICC at the conclusion of each thread, vetting potential moves for flavor and competitiveness, creating slates for any necessary polls, and implementing any movepool changes. As they are expected to lead their threads, ULs are also expected to post guiding questions and ensure that discussion remains on topic. They are also expected to follow the time scheduling detailed in this PRC post.

ULs should have the following qualifications:
  • Timeliness; each leader must be able to commit the time to active leadership
  • Deep knowledge of the game of Pokemon
  • Specific knowledge of the CAP metagame and the Pokemon/Strategies/Threats within it.
  • Familiarity with competitive Pokemon concepts, strategy and philosophy, as practiced within Smogon
  • Willing to voice opinions and lead others
  • Open-minded to new ideas
  • Creative, "outside-of-the-box" thinker
  • Good writing skills
  • Level-headed when resolving disputes
  • Liked and respected by the CAP community
  • Be willing to work with their chosen role and partners

Once these Updates start, the Update Leaders will be the most important, most visible members of the CAP community, and they are expected to be a strong guiding force throughout the update process. If you are selected for any of these positions, you will have a great deal of power to influence updates. But you also have a responsibility to stay on top of things. You will have forum moderators to help you, but you need to be regularly active on each update until all are complete. All potential candidates should look through both the Topic Leadership Guide onsite and the CAP Process Archive subforum, to get an idea of what will be expected of you, if you are selected to be the CAP metagame Update Leader.

This thread is strictly for candidacy posts and posts supporting those candidates. Please stay on topic. Below are the guidelines for posting in this thread:
  • Candidates must have been actively involved in recent CAP projects or the CAP Metagame. Involvement in multiple CAP projects is strongly preferred.
  • Do not suggest other people. If you want you encourage someone else to run, then send them a PM or talk to them on the PS! CAP chatroom or the CAP Discord channel.
  • If you are new to the CAP project, do not sign up in this thread. Instead, spend a project or two lurking, learning, and participating first.
  • Include a summary of your involvement in the CAP project and specifically the CAP Metagame.
  • Make a pitch for why you should be selected. If you can't present and defend yourself, then you can't expect to lead a project whose primary function is discussion and debate. Convince us that you are a good choice.
  • Poor spelling, punctuation, and grammar are great ways to look as though you don't know what you're talking about. A thoughtful and intelligent community leader should be capable of typing at a level above typical internet banter.
  • Even if you don't think you are better qualified than certain other candidates, you still should consider posting your application. Candidates not selected as UL for this update will be on the watch list for next time around. Don't post your name if you don't intend to be active in the project, even if you are not selected, since people will be scrutinizing your involvement more closely.
  • Do not post disparaging remarks about any candidates.
If these rules are not followed, the offending user will be subject to moderation.

This thread will be open for several days, so get your nomination posts in! Good luck to all the applicants!

Hey, thought I’d throw my hat in the ring

I have many years of experience in CAP and specifically the CAP metagame. I am part of the metagame council, the manager of the winning CAPTT V team and have placed well in many seasonals. On top of this I also moderate the CAP analysis sub forum and have been on the QC team for around a year now. In terms of CAP processes I have been around for a good few CAPs, most recently being the stats TLT for Equilibra.

I hope to bring my understanding of both the CAP metagame and process together in the update process to ensure we smoothly transition into gen 8! It also helps that I played in-game this time around!

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Eh might as well.

I've been active for most of gen 7, including the previous update process where I did two winning movepool updates for it. I have participated in all of the Gen 7 CAP Processes, and was Ability Leader for Pajantom. I've also done a bit of QC for analyses for Gen 7, and I was on the Pernicious Pajantoms for CAPTT4, which just so happened to be the winning team :^). Furthermore, I am a driver in the CAP Room on Pokemon Showdown.

I have a deep love for the flavor elements of the game, and I hope apply it to my time I've spent in CAP to give you a smooth update process. Hope you will consider!

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello, I'm nominating myself for an UL position.

I've been doing CAP related things since 2014. My process involvement includes being the TL for Kerfluffle and the move TLT for both Pajantom and the starter trio. I was also an update leader during the last update cycle, so I have prior experience managing an update thread. In addition to these roles, I'm also a CAP moderator and the room owner of the CAP room on Pokemon Showdown!.

I've been involved with the metagame ever since I was introduced to CAP in 2014. I'm one of the primary metagame subforum mods and have had a hand in running multiple resource threads in the past. I've been involved with all five iterations of CAPTT, having led a team for all five of those years, of which I've won two of them.

Updates have been on my mind for ever since we concluded the last update cycle, and I'm dedicated to seeing this update cycle conclude quickly and without controversy.

SHSP

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributor
Suppose I'll jump in the mix for UL, eh?

SHSP here, most known as the TLT for Equilibra, a CAP mod, a metagame council member, the former manager of a team last CAPTT and assistant manager to a winning team in CAPTT 4. Would love to be an UL to use my knowledge of the metagame, the process, and leadership experience to help guide us through a very tricky transition into Gen 8 and these updates. Thanks for considering me!

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My name is reachzero, the Pastor of Disaster.

I was TL for Tomohawk and the CAP 25 starter trio, my Utility Counter concept was used for Krilowatt, and I was Stats Leader for several Gen 7 CAP projects. I was Gen 7 update leader for Tomohawk, Fidgit and Volkraken.

I'm smart, level-headed and I'll get things done on schedule.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I am interested in serving as an Update Leader. Although I am the Head Moderator of the CAP Project, I do not consider myself terribly qualified for this position. I have never been a Topic Leader (only applied once), nor a member of the Topic Leadership Team (never applied). And while I do know the CAP metagame, I am certainly not a top tier battler in CAP (or any format). Finally, my life is getting steadily busier over the next few months, which will make it difficult to be on Discord 24/7 to chat about updates. Still, with all of this going against me, I am applying for the following reasons:

1) I am extremely knowledgable about the CAP process and generational shifts. I began participating in CAP at the start of Generation 5 and worked closely with Zarel and bmelts to get CAPs uploaded and playable on Pokemon Showdown. Since then, I have observed two more generational shifts and the impact Gamefreak's decisions have had on the CAP process. In terms of actual CAP processes: I've read every thread in our process archives, and have a firm grasp on the "why" of each Pokemon was created, including many older Gen4 CAPs that many of our current userbase were not around for their creation.

2) I am naturally passionate about CAP, and being involved in some sort of leadership process will keep me active. If you remember my participation at all last generation during the transition, my interest in CAP dropped to basically zero, to the point where I temporarily resigned from my position. A big part of that was on myself for not actively investing in the forums at that time. Should I have a formalized leadership, I know I will be more present not only as an Update Leader, but also as a CAP moderator.

3) My competitive experience is usable. I have played quite a bit of Gen7 CAP on both the ladder and in CAP tournaments across the forums. I went 2-1 in CAPTT4 and have a general grasp on teambuilding. In terms of my leadership, I was once the tier leader for the Dream World OU metagame back in Gen5, and have served as an assistant manager on several premier leagues, including Other Metagames Premier League and Smogon Premier League (Team Raiders). I used to moderate the Overused forums before coming to CAP, and I still keep relative tabs on all metagames as a senior staff member. I am eager to battle even more in this generation, especially with Dynamax banned.

In terms of updating style, I am in the "school of jas" and tend to think that less is more. I am not into frivolous updates for the sake of "cool flavor," nor am I interested in rocking the boat in terms of how a CAP should naturally perform in this new metagame. Thank you all for your consideration!

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I'm self-nominating for Update Leader. Although I have been absent for the past semester, I'm back and ready to make Sword and Shield CAP the best it can be!

Updates Experience:
I've was a UL for Generation 7 Updates (running threads for Voodoom, Plasmanta, Crucibelle, Mollux, Cyclohm, Colossoil, and Syclant), and I wrote the OP for the Proposal for CAP Updates PRC Thread, so I'm familiar with the previous Update Process and know how we can improve upon it for Gen 8.

Other CAP Experience:
Otherwise, I have served as TL for CAP23, Ability TLTs for CAP22 and CAP25, Gen 6 and 7 CAP Analysis QC, Metagame Council member, CAP VR member, and CAPTT IV Pajantoms Manager, so I've been involved with CAP and the metagame. I'm going to run CAP C&C this generation as well!

CAP Knowledge:
Also, I have been involved with every process since Crucibelle, and I'm knowledgable of older processes from conversations with older users and digging through the archives. Thus, I know how CAP operates and its history.

I'm excited to kick off Generation 8 strong! Thanks for considering me!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The CAP mods are going to close this thread up in 24 hours. Get those nominations in! Let us know if you need more time to submit your nomination and we can extend the deadline.

And with that our ULs have been selected! They will be:
Code:
Jho
LucarioOfLegends
Cbrevan
Birkal
SHSP
Reachzero
Snake_rattler
We will have more news on updates soon, stay tuned!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)