Genesect [QC: 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rei

formerly Scholar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

* Genesect has a very big movepool, which on paper gives it a lot of options along as a lot of items that can support it.
* It can also cause momentum with U-turn to pivot to scout an opponent's item, or switch in to go into a Pokemon that can take care of the opponent's Pokemon.
* Genesect's ability Download can raise its Attack, which could help make its Attacks even stronger. It can be annoying as well with getting a Special Attack boost because of the Opponent's Special Defense or Defense stat.
* Futhermore Steel Pokemon like Necrozma-DM, Mega Lucario, Mega Scizor, and Magenera can check Xerneas much better then Genesect.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Extreme Speed
item: Choice Band
ability: Download
nature: Hasty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* U-turn is used for momentum, which can lead to getting a Pokemon safe that can threaten the opponents Pokemon.
* Iron Head is to check Xerneas that is not set up or scarf and take care of Arceus-Fairy. It is also a powerful STAB move along with the chance to flinch a Pokemon.
* Explosion can be used a nuke to get a threat out of the way thanks to the power it can get from Choice Band and potentially Download. This can also be used to get in a Pokemon safely when there is no need to have Genesect anymore.
* Extreme Speed is handy for chipping a Pokemon like Xerneas, Arceus formes and Primal Kyorge. Frail Pokemon like Deoxys-A, and Mewtwo. It can also KO a Pokemon that is weakened and in range of Genesect's Extreme Speed.

Set Details
========

* 252 EVs are invested in Attack to maximize damage from its STAB moves and to also maximize damage from Explosion.
* 252 EVs are invested in Speed to make Genesect as fast as possible.
* Genesect is locked into a Hasty nature due to having the move Extreme Speed and has to be shiny to match its event.
* Genesect's ability Download can make Genesect get an Attack or Special Attack boost based on the opponent's stats.
* Choice Band is to maximize power output to its STAB moves, and to maximize damage from Explosion.

Usage Tips
========

* Use Genesect as a pivot to scout an opponent's lead, and to get in a better Pokémon that deals with the threats.
* Make sure to keeps hazards away to keep Genesect as healthy as possible.
* Do not switch in directly into Genesect because due to its HP stat it cannot take a lot of hits. Try to bring Genesect in on a prediction switch.
* Be careful about what move you lock into as Genesect is locked in the first move it uses which can lead to a big problem if the opponent switches out.
* Once Genesect is no longer needed, be sure to blow it up and go out with a bang with Explosion that easily lets a Pokemon come in safely. This has to also be timed effectually if blowing up Genesect is supposed to knock out a threat to the team.

Team Options
========

* Primal Groudon can be a good rock settler to help chip Pokemon to help it gain some KOs. Primal Groudon is perfect for the job and can also take care of threats like Ho-oh with Stone Edge.
* Primal Kyorge also helps with Fire-Types and takes care of the threat of Primal Groudon. It also being a powerful special attacker or a good mixed attacker.
* Yveltal can helps with Necrozma-DM with either Choice Scarf or Life Orb. It also helps with Marshadow and troubling Psychic-types such as Mewtwo that commonly run a Fire-type move.
* Arecus formes like Water, Fairy and Ground can use Defog to get rid of hazards which Genesect appreciates. It can also Toxic threats like Lugia.
* Xerneas is also a good partner for Genesect as its Special Attack can easily take care of most Pokemon that do not resist its moonblast after it set up. It can also be support with the Scarf Defog set if the team needs a more offensive Arceus formes.
* Ho-Oh can soak up Special Attacks and can also attack back with Sacred Fire and Brave Bird. It can also Toxic Pokemon and slowly wear them down.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Choice Scarf can be used for being a mixed attacker and for speed control, but will miss the power that it gets from Choice Specs or Choice Band.
* Choice Specs can be used to make Genesect a great Special wallbreaker with the spread of 68 HP / 188 SpA / 252 Spe in order to take on Z-geomancy Xerneas, but this is not too common anymore.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Primal Groudon**: Primal Groudon can easily KO Genesect with Fire Punch, or Lava Plume as it is not scared out by any of Genesect's attacks.

**Fire-types**: Due to Genesect being x4 weak from its typing, it can easily get OHKOed from any Fire-type move.

**Steel-types** Steel-type Pokemon like Aegislash, Dialga, and Magearna can easily come in and take any of Genesect's attacks.

**Ghost-types** Ghost-types like Mega Gengar can null both its Extreme Speed and Explosion which can waste Genesect all together as it is trapped by Shadow Tag. Other Ghost-types like Marshadow can KO Genesect after a bit of chip.

**Faster Pokemon** Faster Pokemon like Mewtwo, and Mega Mewtwo Y can easily OHKO Genesect with Fire Blast if it is not in range of Extreme Speed.

**Status**: Genesect has to be careful about getting burnt by Will-O-Wisp because it will really turn down the damage it can deliver with its Physical attacks, and Thunder Wave can slow down Genesect greatly causing it to get outsped and KOed.

**Hazards** Hazards affects how many times Genesect can come in and ruin one of its main roles of being a pivot and leave it in range of a priority attack.

Last edited:

Rei

formerly Scholar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I can do that exams got in the way from working on this and today is the last day of finals.

Rei

formerly Scholar
Will try for QC check 1, still feel like im lacking information in Team Options.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Oh Genesect, how the mighty have fallen. Alright, let's do this

Overview

* Genesect has a very big movepool, which gives it a lot of options along as a lot of items that can support it.
* It also has an impressive Special Attack and Attack stat, making it a bit unpredictable on which set it is running.
* It can also cause momentum with U-turn to pivot to scout an opponent's item, or switch in to go into a Pokemon that can take care of the opponent's Pokemon.
* Genesect can also kill threats to a team such as Arceus-Ground, Mega Gengar, Arceus-Fairy, and Mega Mewtwo X.
* This Pokemon will always miss a move that it gets rid of to cover something else, as Genesect suffers from only have four moves that can be placed on it.
* Genesect's ability Download can be annoying as well with getting the wrong boost because of the Opponent's Special Defense or Defense stat.
* However, Genesect cannot check Geomancy Xerneas unless it is not set up, and Genesect has to be wary if Xerneas is carrying Hidden Power Fire as this will easily KO it.
* However offensive Steel Pokemon competition like Necrozma-DM, Mega Lucario, Mega Scizor, and Magenera can check Xerneas much better then Genesect and can check more for the team.
I'm not really going to go into great detail in the Overview. I feel like while the statements you make about Genesect aren't exactly untrue, they kinda misrepresent Genesect to an extent. While Genesect does boast a diverse movepool, and decent offensive stats, it often falls short of actually claiming KOes, is easily KOed in return and leaves it with a bad case of Four-Moveslot-Syndrome. It might be able to use multiple sets, but thanks to the fact that it's generally underwhelming, and the fact that Primal Groudon is almost nigh-mandatory in the ubers tier. It is easy to prepare for regardless of what set it opts to run. While Genesect does boast the trait of being able to threaten Xerneas (as long as it hasn't boosted yet), virtually every other Steel-type in the tier can also provide teams with this, as well as either offering more offensive presence (i.e. Necrozma-DM and Mega Lucario) or they're able to actually provide teams with adequate defensive utility (i.e. Necrozma-DM, Magearna, Ferrothorn). Furthermore, one of the traits that steel-types tend to boast is a Toxic immunity, but Genesect often tends to lose to many common Toxic-setters, such as Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, Blissey, Chansey, Toxapex, etc, as a result, it's really hard to justify placing Genesect on teams in USM Ubers. Please update the overview to reflect this more accurately.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Flash Cannon
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Techno Blast
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 68 HP / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves

* Flash Cannon helps take care of Arceus-Fairy and can check Choice Scarf Xerneas. It can also be a spammable STAB attack once all the Fire-type Pokemon are gone.
* Ice Beam checks Arceus-Ground, Zygarde-C, and Mega Salamence, which can easily become threats.
* Techno Blast is easily spammable because of its item Choice Specs and how it can easily 2KO or KO most Pokemon that does not resist Normal-type moves.
* U-turn is for pivoting into another Pokemon to get in a better Pokemon that can deal with the threat and can also be used to scout what the opponent will switch into or what item it is.
I'd like to see Flamethrower moved at least into a Moves option as it's quite a staple move on Genesect, as it allows it to break through one of the biggest threats in the tier, Necrozma-DM, as well as other Steel-types such as Magearna, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Mega Lucario, the first three basically wall Genesect without that move.

Set Details

* Timid is run with max EVs to tie with Xerneas if scarfed.
* 68 EVs in HP to live a Geomancy boosted Xerneas. Then there is 188 in Special Attack to make Genesect hit as hard as possible.
  • Uh If Xerneas is scarfed, it's outspeeding Genesect anyway, I'd probably want to mention better Speed benchmarks here
  • Geomancy boosted Moonblast? This seems like it was ripped straight from the SM Analysis which says "68 HP EVs allow Genesect to avoid being OHKOed after Stealth Rock by a boosted Z-Geomancy Xerneas." That certainly isn't a necessary benchmark as Z-Geomancy Xerneas is the bottom set out of 4 sets for Xerneas, and QC was hesitant of putting that set in there. Unless there's a justifiable reason as to why you'd have 68 HP EVs in USM, I'd just go max HP and Max SpA Timid with 4 EVs in Attack.

* Its ability Download allows it to get an additional boost along with its Choice Specs, but it does have a chance to be boosted in Attack because of the opponent's Pokemon stats.
* Genesect's item Choice Specs, is to boost its Special Attack even higher along with its Download and natural Special Attack stat, but it is locked in to the first move it executes.
  • I kinda feel like you're repeating yourself here. I'd probably just remove the first point.
Usage Tips:

* Use Genesect as a pivot to scout an opponent's lead, and to get in a better Pokémon that deals with the threats.
* Genesect can be used late game to sweep with Techno Blast since it 2KOs a lot of Pokémon.
* Also, be careful about what move you lock into as Genesect is locked in the first move it uses.
Not really happy with usage tips. The first point assumes that you should always lead with Genesect, which is simply untrue and it also starts to assume game states, which tends to be quite an unhealthy thing to do in analyses. The second point is also assuming game-states. Techno Blast is nice neutral coverage, but that should be mentioned in moves, rather than usage tips, essentially only leaving us with one point. I'd redo this.

I know that it's hard to tell people how to use a D-rank mon, but consider matchups such as "how would I use Genesect against Hyper Offense? How would I use Genesect against Stall? How do I bring Genesect in? What should I avoid doing when using Genesect?

Team Options

* Primal Groudon rocks Genesect needs to have a rock settler to help chip Pokemon to help it gain some KOs so Primal Groudon is perfect for the job and can also take care of threats like Ho-oh with Stone Edge if Genesect is not running Thunder.
* Primal Kyorge also helps with Fire-Types and takes care of the threat of Primal Groudon while also being a powerful special attacker.
* Yveltal can helps with Necrozma-DM with either Choice Scarf or Life Orb. It also helps with Marshadow and troubling Psychic-types such as Mewtwo that commonly run a Fire-type move.
* Arecus forms like Water, Fairy and Ground can use Defog to get rid of hazards which Genesect appreciates and can also Toxic threats like Lugia.
* Xerneas is also a good partner for Genesect as its Special Attack can easily take care of most Pokemon that do not resist its moonblast after it set up. It can also be support with the Scarf Defog set if the team needs a more offensive Arceus form.
* Ho-Oh can also be a good partner with Choice Band for doing huge damage and being able to be a Special Defensive wall.
Genesect is pretty bad, so team options have to essentially be anything offensive from S+ to A+ because you're basically a mon down lol. I feel like you're not going to be wanting to run supportceus' but that's just me. Personally my biggest issue with Team Options is that they tend to be all one-sided statements. I know it's hard with a D-rank mon, but it's also important to consider what support Genesect provides for its partners.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Dark Pulse
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* U-turn is pivot around and scout the opponent's item, lead or switch in to get a better Pokemon to come in to take care of the Pokemon.
* Iron Head is to check Xerneas and take care of Arceus-Fairy.
* Ice Beam helps with Dragon- and Flying-types like Salamence, Arceus-Flying and Zygarde.
* Dark Pulse is for Ultra Nercomea, and for Mega Gengar and also causes a check to get flinched.

Set Details
========

*Timid nature is ran with max speed EVs to be as fast as possible and tie with common scarfers like Xerneas and Yveltal.
* 248 EVs in attack to make Iron Head and U-turn hit as hard as possible.
* Genesect's Ability Download can make Genesect get an Attack or Special Attack boost based on the opponent's stats.
* Choice Scarf is to increase its speed but locks itself into its first move it executes.

Usage Tips
========

* Genesect can check Xerneas if it is not set up, but Genesect must be wary about getting hit by Hidden Power Fire.
* Genesect can also hit Necrozma-DM with Dark Pulse and may be able to flinch it down.
* Use Genesect as a U-turn pivot to scout for an opponent’s lead and going out to a Pokemon that can take care of the Pokemon on the field.

Team Options
========

* Primal Groudon can help with taking care of threats such as Ho-Oh and Arceus forms like Arceus-Rock and Arceus-Steel. Groudon can also
* Primal Kyorge is also helpful with its water STAB attacks with Ho-Oh and its Earthquake attack to 2KO Groudon.
* Yveltal can easily help with Ncerozma-DM with its life Orb Sucker Punch and its Dark Pulse attack. It can also help wear down Primal Groudon with its STAB attacks.
* Arecus forms like Water, Fairy and Ground can use Defog to get rid of hazards which Genesect appreciates and can also Toxic threats like Lugia.
* Xerneas also likes Genesect with it threatening out things like Steel-types, and able to take a Toxic thanks to it being immune to Toxic.
* Ho-oh can soak up Special Attacks and can also attack back with Sacred Fire and Brave Bird. It can also Toxic Pokemon and slowly wear them down.

Sorry, Don't think my favourite U-turn spamming scarfer deserves a set. I know, it hurts me almost as much as it hurts BW veterans. Chuck it into OO.

Other Options

* Extreme Speed is for late game when everything is weakened, or getting rid of a Pokemon with higher speed that's in range of Genesect's Extreme Speed, but that means giving up a move to make room for Extreme Speed which Genesect will miss out of some coverage that it originally have.
Also worth mentioning that you're locked into a Hasty Nature. Also since we're running a Specs set, damage output will be mediocre, personally I feel like Extreme Speed Specs Genesect is bad roll compression, but that's just me.

* Thunder can be running, but at the cost of giving up a move that Genesect will miss and only to hit Ho-Oh and Primal Kyorge.
Thunder is 100% Accurate vs Primal Kyogre. It also hits Toxapex, which otherwise walls Genesect.

On another note. Shift Gear Genesect is beautiful, it's not an amazing mon anyway, so I don't think there's any harm in putting it in.

Checks and Counters

**Primal Groudon**: Primal Groudon can easily KO Genesect with Fire Punch, or Lava Plume as it is not scared out by any of Genesect's attacks.

**Fire-types**: Due to Genesect being x4 weak from its typing, it can easily get OHKOed from any Fire-type move.

**Special Defensive Walls**: Any special defensive walls like Chansey, Blissey or Ho-Oh easily eats any of Genesects Special Attacks, but Ho-Oh, and Primal Kyorge has to be wary of Genesect if it is running Thunder.

**Status**: Genesect has to be careful about getting burnt by Will-O-Wisp if mixed because it will really turn down the damage it can deliver with its Physical attacks, and Thunder Wave can slow down Genesect greatly causing it to get outsped and KOed,

**Hazards** Hazards affects how many times Genesect can come in and ruin one of its main roles of being a pivot.
[/Quote]

Genesect is honestly pretty bad and I don't think this is really reflected in your C&C section.
Personally I'd say Ho-Oh is Genesect's biggest counter, as it really isn't scared by it's attacks and can recover them off easily. Primal Groudon however is actually 2HKOed by Techno Blast and can get worn down easily.

Also I don't really think that Status is one of Genesect's biggest issues. Its Steel typing means that it's immune to Poison, and it's not really looking for insane damage output with U-turn, it's more there for momentum (It's even running a - Attack nature), so at the end of the day, it's only really bothered by Paralysis, which doesn't really bother Genesect much more than it bothers literally every offensive mon in the tier. Genesect is also vulnerable to just about any hard-hitting Pokemon and despite it's stats on paper, it often fails to KO them in return. I'd like to see Checks and Counters revised to reflect this.

Last edited:
[SET]

(note: Shiny + Hasty nature are forced on Extreme Speed Genesect)

This is the only set we're probably gonna go with for Genesect. Specs/Scarf to OO. I'll give you time to change up the analysis to center around this set before actually giving feedback. If there are any questions or quick feedback wanted feel free to hit up QC in the #analyses channel of the Ubers discord.

Reactions: Rei

Rei

formerly Scholar
[SET]

(note: Shiny + Hasty nature are forced on Extreme Speed Genesect)

This is the only set we're probably gonna go with for Genesect. Specs/Scarf to OO. I'll give you time to change up the analysis to center around this set before actually giving feedback. If there are any questions or quick feedback wanted feel free to hit up QC in the #analyses channel of the Ubers discord.
Alright I try to get this done in the next three days.

Edit: Putting back in WIP due to the fact I have to redo 90% of the analysis.

Last edited:
* It also has an impressive Special Attack and Attack stat, making it a bit unpredictable on which set it is running.
120 is pretty low for Ubers standards. With CB and Download it can make up for the lacking stats but i wouldn't praise any of its stats really... they are very unimpressive.
* Genesect can also kill threats to a team such as Arceus-Fairy, and Mega Mewtwo X.
This doesn't really feel like an Overview worthy thing. It doesn't even kill MMX as its neutral to all Genesect's attacks, and Arceus-Fairy isn't even OHKOed by CB Iron Head.
* Genesect's ability Download can be annoying as well with getting the wrong boost because of the Opponent's Special Defense or Defense stat.
I'd go over Download's pros and then add this as a downside in the same bullet.
* Having Extreme Speed forces Genesect into a Hasty nature and also being Shiny therefore giving it away that one of its moves and the nature of Genesect.
Probably best to keep this in set details or something - its only relevant when running that move rather than about Genesect overall.
* However, Genesect cannot check Geomancy Xerneas unless it is not set up, and Genesect has to be wary of Xerneas is carrying Hidden Power Fire as this will easily KO it.
CB Extreme Speed at +1 vs a boosted Xerneas does around 41% so its still an ok check. It can never take direct attacks which hurts it a lot as a Steel type for teams.
* It also suffers from being limited to just four moves, and being unable to check some Pokemon because that coverage move is not on there anymore.
not so much check as it is just being walled by certain mons. it can u-turn on its counters for momentum at least.
* Its typing also does not work well with it stats as it fails to check Xerneas.
* Futhermore Steel Pokemon like Necrozma-DM, Mega Lucario, Mega Scizor, and Magenera can check Xerneas much better then Genesect.
these are redundant together, merge them into one.

With all that feedback just for the Overview and then reviewing the rest I realized that there is a lot of QC work for a terrible mon to the point that I'd essentially be ghost writing just to have this up to our standards, and that isn't our job. It just doesn't seem like you are experienced with Genesect because every section is lacking in appropriate detail, which means I'm sadly going to have to reject this. I'm open to changing my mind should I see sufficient improvements from you.

QC Rejected 1/3

Rei

formerly Scholar
Alright, I try to look at this later had the same problem with my first mono analysis and willing to try again after thinking about this in a bit more detail. Will get this done hopefully in 2-3 days.

QC Rejected 2/3

It’s pretty clear that you don’t have any experience with this Pokemon (at least the only viable set). A lot would have to be corrected. It would be easier to write it myself.

Rei

formerly Scholar
I have used this set on ladder for awhile now, maybe I'm just having trouble expressing my words to reflect this. Now im just feeling intimidated when I have put time to try to make this work. I try again by Friday and figure out what I'm missing.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
This analysis isn't getting anywhere.

You've put this in WIP numerous times and I've seen no progression on the analysis since MM2 posted his last reject and I feel you've had a considerable timeframe to make improvements and get this out of WIP.

There is underlying evidence that you don't have the knowledge to write the pokemon / set in question, despite the feedback provided by various QC members and the time taken just to simply get this to an acceptable standard to QC Check is not what I expect from a writer.

I would prefer to give someone who is more knowledgeable the chance to write this analysis to the standard expected as there is a considerable amount of work to be made on the analysis, it is better off being re-written. For future analysis, I would recommend sticking to Pokemon you are confident in writing and have experience with.

QC Rejected 3/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)