Genesect was overrated anyway (XY Volt-Turn Hyper Offense)

All Edits are in Bold and Italicized
At a Glance

Introduction
Hey everyone! I decided I would make an offensive team that would help out Lucario and benefit the rest of the team. I usually change the slot Xatu is currently in for other things, (those being Genesect, Sableye, Excadrill, Espeon, and a few more) but this version of the team has gotten me the most success. I started using this team on PS with the name "nxzfitghnhfi", and I got my first loss at match 11 :(. I had a great win streak! Anyway, I feel like there are certain things that can still be fixed with the team. As the name suggests, this is a volt turn team without Genesect. So, here we go!

In Depth Look

Tyranitar @
(Leftovers)

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
Tyranitar is on this team simply because it gets access to Stealth Rock, and because it has great Support and coverage moves, as well as great defense. Tyranitar can set up Stealth Rock, and then either Stone Edge, Pursuit, or Fire Blast depending on the scenario. Stone Edge gets STAB and hits extremely hard, even without much Attack investment. Stone Edge is usually the main attacking move for Tyranitar, and it does its job rather nicely. Pursuit also gets STAB, and it can trap and possibly KO threats such as Latios and Latias, and Tyranitar can come in on whatever attack Latios does! You're basically getting a free KO from it.
Lastly, Fire Blast is here instead of Earthquake.

Fire Blast hits things such as Skarmory, Forretress, and lots of other Steel types that would otherwise resist both Pursuit and Stone Edge. Like I said, Tyranitar does its job well, and that is to set up Stealth Rocks while bringing more Support to the team.

Rotom-Wash @
(Chesto Berry)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SDef
Bold Nature

- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
Rotom-W greatly helps out with the Volt-Turn combo because it tanks the attacks that Talonflame is weak too (Sort of; it takes neutral damage from both Electric and Rock, but it's still a great thing to have) Volt Switch gets STAB and takes advantage of the Volt-Turn combo thing, and Hydro Pump also gets STAB as well. Hydro Pump, however, is more powerful. I usually use Hydro Pump more, and only Volt Switch when I can't really do anything else. Will-O-Wisp practically burns any physical threat, hindering them useless. And lastly, Rest restores Rotom-W's HP all the way back to full; Chesto Berry gets rid of Sleep, obviously.

Talonflame @
(Leftovers)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature

- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
The next pokemon of the Volt-Turn thing is Talonflame. Talonflame is insanely fast, and it doesn't need a choice Scarf to outspeed most of the metagame, unlike Genesect. Talonflame is ready to go, right from the get-go. This bird's ability also makes it faster by giving priority to all of its Flying-Type attacks: Brave Bird, Acrobatics, Tailwind; you name it. This gives Talonflame a HUGE advantage over most pokemon. I'll usually use Talonflame as a late game sweeper, since it will get withered away by the recoil, but here's the plan: Set up an SD, given the bulky HP EVs to help it survive longer, and then proceed to sweep litterally anything that doesn't resist Brave Bird and Flare Blitz. Because of this, Talonflame becomes a better alternative to Genesect.

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker / Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Taking Zenrot1's advice for replacing Excadrill with Xatu, I am going to go with the set I would have had. So, Mold Breaker and Max Speed guarantee a solid KO from the otherwise annoying threat, Rotom-W. Rapid Spin also gets rid of entry hazards, which demolish this team by Sticky Web and Stealth Rock, and I'm glad I'm going to have this instead as a reliable way to get rid of them. So, think Excadrill is just going to Rapid Spin? Nope! it's going to Set up Swords Dance and possibly sweep even more with its great attack. Earthquake gets STAB and hits anything that isn't a flying type because of Mold Breaker, and if there is a flying type, just use Rock Slide! It's a great coverage set basically ^^

Salamence @
(Choice Scarf)
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature

- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Because I don't have Genesect, I didn't have a good pokemon to revenge kill other than Talonflame. So, I put a Choice Scarf on Salamence, and it became even more deadly. With Choice Scarf, Salamence can come in late game, and completely demolish teams with Dragon Claw, and it would raise its attack with Moxie every time it KOs a pokemon. Since it's choice locked, I decided it would be better with Dragon Claw. If I don't want to use Dragon Claw, and instead want a more powerful alternative, I can use Outrage instead. Lastly, Earthquake is there to destroy things like Excadrill and Jolteon.

Lucario @
(Lucarionite)
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature

- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
Finally, we have Lucario. I have tested a lot with both sets of Lucario (Physical and Special) and I can safely say that Special Lucario is better. Why? Because if it gets burned, it's not useless, its Steel STAB priority is now its better Fighting STAB priority, it doesn't get walled by Gliscor, and it doesn't get the defense drops from Close Combat. So, Nasty Plot boosts Lucario's Special Attack higher, and Vacuum Wave is its STAB priority. Flash Cannon also gets STAB and gets extremely powerful with Adaptability. Lastly, Dark Pulse is great to hit ghost types that would resist both Flash Cannon and Vacuum Wave, such as Gengar or Trevenant.
Conclusion
I've been playing on PS with this team, and it worked out really nice. However, I do see some flaws in this team. Testing it, I found that it gets wrecked by Stealth Rock, since Talonflame gets demolished by it if Xatu fails. With Excadrill, I shouldn't have to worry about entry hazards anymore, as I can Rapid Spin them away, so I don't have to rely on a frail Xatu anymore.

Thanks for reading! :D
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker / Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SDef
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon

Last edited:
I definitely approve of the Xatu -> Excadrill change, as rocks getting up basically shreds Mence, Talonflame, and Xatu in your current build. Mold Breaker Excadrill should do just fine on this team as long as you run enough speed to outspeed defensive Rotom-W. You could also mess with Sand Rush for a secondary win condition but this team desperately needs a spinner, and Mold Breaker is best suited to that role.

Personally I believe you should switch talonflame's set to the choice banded set and give it sleep talk due to the fact that you have nothing to take a spore on your team.

Ok, great team man! I'm just gonna cover each Pokemon:
Tyranitar
That Tyranitar set is good!
Rotom-Wash
Err, the EVs/Nature is a bit odd... Why aren't you running 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature? You have Will-O-Wisp to cripple stuff, why not make it as bulky as possible on both sides?
Talonflame
I'm agreeing with Swaggy, I'd recommend Choice Band > Leftovers and Sleep Talk > Swords Dance
Excadrill
That set is fine, I just kind of miss Iron Head.
Salamence
Don't use Crunch on Salamence... I'd recommend either Fire Blast or Iron Head > Crunch. Here are come calcs to support this:
Standard Skarmory:
4 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 230-272 (68.8 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Crunch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 52-62 (15.5 - 18.5%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
Standard Ferrothorn:
4 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 304-360 (86.3 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Salamence Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 54-64 (15.3 - 18.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
Standard Forretress:
4 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 520-616 (146.8 - 174%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Salamence Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 51-61 (14.4 - 17.2%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

Notice how little Crunch does to the things that Salamence is walled by? Catch them off guard with Fire Blast and bam! Then for Iron Head:
252 Atk Salamence Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 256-302 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Salamence Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 256-302 (64.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 158-188 (40.1 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

That does a lot more than any of your other attacks. It is all up to you, whether you want to struggle with Skarm//Ferro//Forre or if you want to struggle with Fairies.
Mega Lucario
I would recommend the physical set, as that's the one I prefer, but I see you've tested both out and like the Special set more! So, you're fine there!

Overall, this team is sold, with only a few weaknesses! Great job man!

Ok, great team man! I'm just gonna cover each Pokemon:
Tyranitar
That Tyranitar set is good!
Rotom-Wash
Err, the EVs/Nature is a bit odd... Why aren't you running 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature? You have Will-O-Wisp to cripple stuff, why not make it as bulky as possible on both sides?
Talonflame
I'm agreeing with Swaggy, I'd recommend Choice Band > Leftovers and Sleep Talk > Swords Dance
Excadrill
That set is fine, I just kind of miss Iron Head.
Salamence
Don't use Crunch on Salamence... I'd recommend either Fire Blast or Iron Head > Crunch. Here are come calcs to support this:
Standard Skarmory:
4 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 230-272 (68.8 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Crunch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 52-62 (15.5 - 18.5%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
Standard Ferrothorn:
4 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 304-360 (86.3 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Salamence Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 54-64 (15.3 - 18.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
Standard Forretress:
4 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 520-616 (146.8 - 174%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Salamence Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 51-61 (14.4 - 17.2%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

Notice how little Crunch does to the things that Salamence is walled by? Catch them off guard with Fire Blast and bam! Then for Iron Head:
252 Atk Salamence Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 256-302 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Salamence Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 256-302 (64.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 158-188 (40.1 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

That does a lot more than any of your other attacks. It is all up to you, whether you want to struggle with Skarm//Ferro//Forre or if you want to struggle with Fairies.
Mega Lucario
I would recommend the physical set, as that's the one I prefer, but I see you've tested both out and like the Special set more! So, you're fine there!

Overall, this team is sold, with only a few weaknesses! Great job man!
Thanks for the rate, but since Salamence gets Moxie, I want to make it as good as it can with the physical set. Salemence won't usually be going fore fire blast because your calcs show that it's going to be a two hit KO, and I don't want to get KO'd by moonblast. Anyway, thanks for the rate :)

wow I never knew that salamence could be that good with a choice scarf I'll have to try that sometime. anyways in my opinion this is a really good team and if I were to use it the only thing I would change is talonflame for something like scizor just because I always fail with talonflame resulting in me getting sweeped

I think its a pretty solid team. There are two things that you might want to do though.
1)Tyranitar with assault vest instead of leftovers will turn it into a huge mixed tank, making it less of a pain to deal with surf and aura sphere.
2)Having both Outrage and Dragon Claw on Salamence might not be a good idea. If late game there are fairies left, you can only rely on earthquake to deal reasonable damage, not to mention you're locked in.

I agree with myusernamesucks that Assault Vest is better on T-Tar. Also, I'd swap the Salamence to this set:
Salamence@Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 64 Atk, 192 SpA, 252 Spe
Naive Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake/Roost/Brick Break
This set is designed to eat physical walls like Avalugg, Hippowdon and Slowbro for breakfast. Draco Meteor is the main STAB, dealing massive damage to anything that doesn't resist and isn't called Blissey or Chansey. Outrage is the alternate STAB which can be used once you have the Special Attack drop. Fire Blast is for nailing Scizor, Forretress, Ferrothorn and Skarmory, and Earthquake hits Heatran and Jirachi. However, Roost can be used to recover HP and Brick Break can hit the aforementioned Chansey and Blissey, as well as Tyranitar.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
This team, Pokemon wise is 2/3 of my team. Moveset wise, it's very different, so obviously, I'm going to like it.
I'd replace Salamence with a Scarfed Garchomp. Garchomp generally performs better, and it would also be immune to the sand you will inevitably set up.
EDIT: Just saw you on PS. Just thought I'd mention that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)