SS OU Gengar BO w/ Miltank

TEAM BUILDING PROGRESS

The idea of the team is to abuse the sheer power of Banded Urshifu alongside a tailor-made Gengar set that allows the two of them to single-handedly destroy entire defensive cores. The set isn't new at all, but I haven't seen it used once in this gen and it's perfect when used with Urshifu because of the Pokémon they lure in for each other.

Given that these two Pokémon have the tools to dismantle bulkier teams by themselves, I decided that the next Pokémon was going to be one to deal with more offensively oriented teams. One specific Pokémon was perfect with the initial core of Gengar+Urshifu and it happens to be a pretty good one, my favourite Pokémon to use in this gen, Dragapult. If you need a Pokémon to combat HO with screens or even without, this is your best option.

Then I decided that it was time to add some bulk and support to the team. Usually, when I'm at this point in team building, I try to put together a bulky core that can check the most prominent threats in the meta and provide the basic SR + Defog combo and still not be completely passive. One mon I wanted to try out was Thick Fat Miltank, because it's the hardest counter to Alolan Marowak on this game and without it I would auto-lose to it under Trick Room. Also gets Stealth Rock, if needed, and reliable recover + Thick Fat makes him a fine switch-in into Cinderace's Pyro Ball.

The two biggest offensive threats in this metagame are Urshifu and Magearna, the first for its dumb power and the second for its versatility. Also, Rain match-up was looking sketchy, I still needed a Defogger and one Steel and one Fairy type are mandatory on defensive builds, so I simultaneously added SpDef Ferrothorn and Galarian Weezing to check the two aforementioned threats and other, completing a rather out-there defensive core.

This defensive core supports the team by spreading status, while Ferrothorn is the real g, removing items and annoying opponents between Leech Seed and Iron Barbs.
Now onto the team in details

THE TEAM

1 GENGAR.jpg

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 80 HP / 88 SpA / 88 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Hex
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute​

This is the Pokémon that inspired the team, I always loved Gengar competitively, it has an unique typing and amazing movepool and it's in the super elite club of special attacking Pokémon that LOVES the existance of Chansey. This set allows him to solo stall teams with minimal support. With how much status my team can spread, Hex is the most logical choice for STAB Ghost, but Shadow Ball can be used for more consistency early game or against team w/ Aromatherapy or Heal Bell, so realistically the choice is up for debate. I use him more with Hex, though.
This EV spread enlarges the pool of Pokémon I can set up on.
CLEFABLE: you force the switch against Clef anyway, but if you burn it with Dragapult or Weezing, Knock Off isn't going to break the Substitute as long as it has 0 IVs in attack. Moonblast does a maximum of 23.4%, so burnt Clef is a safe Substitute fodder.
TOXAPEX: Scald and Poison Jab ain't breaking the Sub with neutral nature, but Knock Off variants always break unless they're burnt, in which case it has roughly a 50% chance to break the sub.
AMOONGUSS: it doesn't always have Foul Play, but if it has it then you can just burn it and it's done. Any STAB from Amoongus won't break the Sub.
CHANSEY: your main set up fodder, even if it runs Thunder Wave it can't touch you.
CORVIKNIGHT and SKARMORY: if burnt, only variants with Brave Bird can break a Substitute.
Slower teams have a hard time against this Gengar, as the most efficient way to deal with it is to revenge-kill it when it's not behind a Sub or with Dragapult.

2 URSHIFU.jpg

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch​

This Gengar set is possibly the weakest Gengar you can have right off the bat, so having a powerful wallbreaker is going to be incredibly useful, especially if they complement each other well. Choice Band SS-Urshifu is notoriously broken, can't be safely scouted and has incredible STAB coverage alongside a simple Poison Jab / Iron Head for Fairy types. Against more offensive teams, it's actually a great Knock Off sponge, because being able to switch moves is very helpful and allows Sucker Punch to be used without nearly as dry possible consequences and it has enough power to kill stuff anyway. Initially I had U-turn instead of Poison Jab, but I ended up missing the coverage in certain situations, so I immediately put Poison Jab in the 4th slot.

3 DRAGAPULT.png

Dragapult @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn
- Steel Wing​

This mon is my favourite Gen 8 OU Pokémon to use by a mile, it sits in a goated speed tier which improves HO match-up indefinitely. With Dragon Darts it's a gigantict threat to Alakazam and OHKOs Volcarona thanks to Dragon Fang even through screens thanks to Infiltrator. Also, when facing Azumarill, in a pinch you can always survive +6 Aqua Jet and threaten to burn it. In any case, the main purpose of Dragapult is to lure in and U-turn on stuff that Urshifu or Gengar prey on. Also, the fact that it lures in Magearna and Mandibuzz is incredibly useful because you can catch them on the switch with Will-o-Wisp and then U-turn out to Ferrothorn and Weezing respectively to rack up burn damage and momentum. Steel Wing is disgustingly weak but has proven to be extremely useful against Clefable and Togekiss multiple times so I stuck with it. Incredible Pokémon, it should have 100% usage rate even in this Magearna infested metagame. 8 EVs in HP allows Pult to always live Jolly HDB Cinderace's Sucker Punch from full.

4 MILTANK.jpg

Miltank (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 180 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Toxic
- Body Slam
- Milk Drink
- Earthquake​

This is the mon I wanted to try out for a defensive core. Adds a nice Ghost immunity, basically resists Fire thanks to Thick Fat and thus is the reason why this team doesn't crumble to Alolan Marowak or Chandelure, which are especially dangerous under Trick Room or when they come in on Ferrothorn or Weezing. This spread allows it to take some big hits on the pyshical side, most notably tanking 2 Zen Headbutts from Adamant Libero Cinderace at +2 and surviving a +2 Earthquake (as well as two +0 EQs) from Jolly Excadrill, all after Stealth Rock. The rest is bumped in special defense to withstand Rotom-H a bit better. Being a Normal type, Miltank's defensive utility isn't mind-blowing since it doesn't have Chansey's ridiculous stats, but unlike the big pink egg, it has some things going for it offensively. Aside from sharing access to reliable recovery and Stealth Rock, Miltank is pretty fast for a defensive Pokémon, which allows it to be a soft check to Bisharp and Azumarill, taking a boosted priority from both of them and dealing some damage in a pinch with Earthquake and Body Slam respectively. Also, its STAB of choice packs a hefty 30% to paralyze the opponent and when combined to its access to Toxic, it makes Miltank a risky Pokémon to set up on.

5 FERROTHORN.jpeg

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Knock Off​

This mon is absolutely goated. It's specially defensive because I need him to take on Magearna and Alakazam mostly. With this spread and Chople Berry it can survive every unboosted Fighting move, big ones being Urshifu's and Terrakion's banded CCs and miscellaneous Focus Blasts. Between Leech Seed, Knock Off and potential burn from Dragapult and Weezing, there is no way any Magearna without Focus Blast is breaking through this, and Alakazam either dies or gets its sash broken. Another important task it accomplishes is improving rain match-ups thanks to the buffed special defense. I still left some EVs in defense to sponge Excadrill like Miltank does. Overall, without this mon, this team would auto-lose to Magearna so it's pretty important.
Knock Off + Leech Seed is incredibly aggravating for the opposing team and Power Whip ensure I can hit rain sweepers. Body Press can be used though it has its power a bit shortened due to EV spread.

6 GALARIAN WEEZING.jpg

Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strange Steam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Sludge Bomb​

This one hard counters SS-Urshifu and it's a stop to many physical attacker by virtue of its typing and access to Will-o-Wisp. It's also the defogger of the team. Toxic Spikes is a shout, since it lures in Amoongus and Toxapex to remove them, which as we discussed are among Gengar's victims and they would get burnt by Will-o-Wisp on the switch. Sludge Bomb is in right now to grab some damage and possibly status on hazard-immune Fire types that like to switch-in on Weezing, like Cinderace and Rotom-H, which I found to be pretty useful.

CONCLUSION

This team looks ridiculous but having two Ghost types creates more mindgames than one may think, especially against Fighting types, who either have their moves supereffective or laughed at against me. This team thrives on double switches and chip damage early game. The main targets you need to find are the ones that stops whichever of the three attacking mons have the highest possible chance to win the game with or prevent the opponent from smashing you. Dragapult generally is always going to be the best Pokémon you want to take advantage of against HO, while Gengar is always going to be your best one against stall. Urshifu is interesting because while you're setting up the win with Gengar, you may end up finishing everything with Urshifu. Being the main breaker of the team, it usually racks up stupid amount of damage but against HO it shines as soon as its item gets Knocked Off, ironically. No Zeraora is running Play Rough anymore because of how obsolete it is against Amoonguss, so this is a premiere Knock Off switch-in for Urshifu. Overall, this team is pretty fun and can hold his own against any build, with the hardest one being sun teams. You can work or status around many threats, especially through Miltank's Body Slam, before cleaning up. This team made me appreciate Gengar and Dragapult even more and acknowledge the absolute menace of Urshifu. It doesn't look as solid as other teams, but fits my playstyle really well and I enjoy using it.

Last edited:
Your team is interesting, but I think it needs major changes. With a little chip on Dragapult, you immediately lose to offensive Volcarona, and Bulk Up Cinderace with proper coverage rips through your team. Against BU Cinderace, you basically are forced to pray that it doesn't have a fighting move, making your team a bit of a matchup fish. Azumarill's matchup is not as great, but against an HO team with Azumarill, it will tear huge holes in your team that will make it quite easy for other sweepers to win. Double Dance Magearna variants can use your entire team as setup fodder because you have no anti-setup sweeper measures. They don't care about the burn because they heal all the damage off with Draining Kiss recovery and your Hex user, Gengar, dies to stored power. These problems result from an inconsistent defensive core.

Changes: Unfortunately, I think you need to completely change your defensive core for this team to be viable. Calcs are included at the bottom.
Major Changes:
  • :ss/weezing-galar: -> :ss/mandibuzz:
    • You have a team with 2 ghost types and your only ghost resist is Urshifu. Mandibuzz provides defog support, and can help stop a Volcarona sweep with Toxic and Knock Off. This improves your Volcarona matchup.
  • :ss/miltank: -> :ss/slowbro:
    • Urshifu, your primary breaker, has no way of safely getting in, and is quite prediction reliant without a little support. There are not really any counters to Future Sight Slowbro + Banded Urshifu. Click Future Sight with Slowbro, then Teleport out into Urshifu and click CC. If they go into a Dark type to take the Future Sight, it dies to CC, and if they go into their CC resist, it is chunked from Future Sight and often is KOd by the next CC.
    • This improves your Cinderace Matchup, There aren't really any variants of Cinderace that beat Slowbro.
    • This mon also walls Poltergeist Alolan Marowak. Kasib berry allows you to scout its set and get off damage with scald or Teleport into Urshifu, and once the berry is consumed Poltergeist fails.
  • :ss/ferrothorn: -> :ss/clefable:
    • Without Weezing-G, you have no fairy type to switch into a Draco Meteor.
    • Clefable can get up rocks and it resists both of Urshifu's STABs.
    • Thunder wave is a good anti-setup sweeper mechanism and can cripple common switchins such as Ferrothorn, Magearna and Cinderace.
Minor Changes:
  • Dragapult: from physical to SpexHex
    • You want Gengar and Dragapult to share checks so they can break for each other. Currently, they don't do that.
    • Gengar is not a reliable status abuser because with your set, it's too weak to really abuse the status.
    • Specs Dragapult with Hex is quite strong, and has synergy with TWave Clef and Toxic Mandibuzz.
    • The given EV spread allows you to live a +0 Jolly Cinderace sucker punch after rocks, and you offensively check non-sucker punch variants with Draco Meteor.
    • It can U-turn on checks to generate momentum.
Importable: https://pokepast.es/59aa550f2f94d9cd

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Weezing-Galar: 404-476 (120.9 - 142.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Miltank: 243-286 (61.8 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Miltank can't 2HKO in return)
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 8 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 191-225 (59.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Volcarona fire blast kills 8 million Ferrothorns lmao
Bug buzz nukes Urshifu and Sucker Punch usually doesn't OHKO: 252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona: 267-315 (85.8 - 101.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO, plus since you're banded they can just QD again and use you as setup fodder
+1 252 Atk Libero Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 56+ Def Miltank: 486-572 (123.6 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Libero Cinderace Sucker Punch vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 402-474 (126 - 148.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Cinderace has to pick coverage, but you're essentially just praying that you don't hit a Cinderace with a fighting move because otherwise you lose to it. Even without a fighting move, it's still a big threat to your team.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 316-373 (92.6 - 109.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 56+ Def Miltank: 589-694 (149.8 - 176.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Knock off into Jet KOs Ferrothorn, and it's faster anyway

Your team is interesting, but I think it needs major changes. With a little chip on Dragapult, you immediately lose to offensive Volcarona, and Bulk Up Cinderace with proper coverage rips through your team. Against BU Cinderace, you basically are forced to pray that it doesn't have a fighting move, making your team a bit of a matchup fish. Azumarill's matchup is not as great, but against an HO team with Azumarill, it will tear huge holes in your team that will make it quite easy for other sweepers to win. Double Dance Magearna variants can use your entire team as setup fodder because you have no anti-setup sweeper measures. They don't care about the burn because they heal all the damage off with Draining Kiss recovery and your Hex user, Gengar, dies to stored power. These problems result from an inconsistent defensive core.

Changes: Unfortunately, I think you need to completely change your defensive core for this team to be viable. Calcs are included at the bottom.
Major Changes:
  • :ss/weezing-galar: -> :ss/mandibuzz:
    • You have a team with 2 ghost types and your only ghost resist is Urshifu. Mandibuzz provides defog support, and can help stop a Volcarona sweep with Toxic and Knock Off. This improves your Volcarona matchup.
  • :ss/miltank: -> :ss/slowbro:
    • Urshifu, your primary breaker, has no way of safely getting in, and is quite prediction reliant without a little support. There are not really any counters to Future Sight Slowbro + Banded Urshifu. Click Future Sight with Slowbro, then Teleport out into Urshifu and click CC. If they go into a Dark type to take the Future Sight, it dies to CC, and if they go into their CC resist, it is chunked from Future Sight and often is KOd by the next CC.
    • This improves your Cinderace Matchup, There aren't really any variants of Cinderace that beat Slowbro.
    • This mon also walls Poltergeist Alolan Marowak. Kasib berry allows you to scout its set and get off damage with scald or Teleport into Urshifu, and once the berry is consumed Poltergeist fails.
  • :ss/ferrothorn: -> :ss/clefable:
    • Without Weezing-G, you have no fairy type to switch into a Draco Meteor.
    • Clefable can get up rocks and it resists both of Urshifu's STABs.
    • Thunder wave is a good anti-setup sweeper mechanism and can cripple common switchins such as Ferrothorn, Magearna and Cinderace.
Minor Changes:
  • Dragapult: from physical to SpexHex
    • You want Gengar and Dragapult to share checks so they can break for each other. Currently, they don't do that.
    • Gengar is not a reliable status abuser because with your set, it's too weak to really abuse the status.
    • Specs Dragapult with Hex is quite strong, and has synergy with TWave Clef and Toxic Mandibuzz.
    • The given EV spread allows you to live a +0 Jolly Cinderace sucker punch after rocks, and you offensively check non-sucker punch variants with Draco Meteor.
    • It can U-turn on checks to generate momentum.
Importable: https://pokepast.es/59aa550f2f94d9cd

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Weezing-Galar: 404-476 (120.9 - 142.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Miltank: 243-286 (61.8 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Miltank can't 2HKO in return)
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 8 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 191-225 (59.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Volcarona fire blast kills 8 million Ferrothorns lmao
Bug buzz nukes Urshifu and Sucker Punch usually doesn't OHKO: 252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona: 267-315 (85.8 - 101.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO, plus since you're banded they can just QD again and use you as setup fodder
+1 252 Atk Libero Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 56+ Def Miltank: 486-572 (123.6 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Libero Cinderace Sucker Punch vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 402-474 (126 - 148.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Cinderace has to pick coverage, but you're essentially just praying that you don't hit a Cinderace with a fighting move because otherwise you lose to it. Even without a fighting move, it's still a big threat to your team.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 316-373 (92.6 - 109.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 56+ Def Miltank: 589-694 (149.8 - 176.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Knock off into Jet KOs Ferrothorn, and it's faster anyway
First of all, thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

I have something to elaborate on, though. I'm aware that the most competitive builds usually have 2 offensive threats + 4 support/defensive/pivot pokémon, so that they have more flexibility and depth to the offensive threats they can cover. This means that having a team structured like mine with a different proportion is probably "less viable" when you look at it from the defensive perspective.

However, as much as you claim my defensive core to be shaky, which it is don't get me wrong, I feel like the mons you mention being threatening weren't addressed too much. especially magearna, whom you defined as a threat to my team but is even more deadly against yours and it surprises me how you don't see that. Removing ferrothorn, you allow specs magearna to claim a kill with fleur cannon everytime it is positioned against mandibuzz, slowbro and clefable or, more easily, at turn 1. furhermore, without ferro you can no longer stop double dance mag because draining kiss becomes unstoppable and you miss out on leech seed which is actually insanely useful to stop dd mag. yes, it sets up on a lot of my team, but at least i have ferro to hopelessly wall it. And I would be okay with it if I had someone to ohko magearna with, but my team doesn't have a way to do so, so i need a ferrothorn-type mon to ensure i don't lose 1v1. also, specs can't freely lock a focus blast or an aura sphere because I have two ghost types. basically, I need a steel type that can either deal massive damage to mag (excadrill) or stall him out (ferrothorn).

Also, Volcarona isn't really dealt with because while i have mandibuzz (who btw doesn't resist stabs and can't really do much damage to volc), I lose the guaranteed ohko that dragon darts dragapult provides. I'm not saying I disagree with the dragapult set you suggested, it's just that the Volcarona issue is far from being fixed. The only real threat whose match-up is improved is Cinderace, but then again you removed will-o-wisp on dragapult, and Miltank can sponge a couple hits quite well (ofc not nearly as well as slowbro) and handles marowak just as well.

Azumarill is a similar case, even though specs pult is a bit more reliable most of the time due to it not relying on an inaccurate move such as will-o-wisp and the ability to do more immediate damage. in fact, i was actually thinking about removing steel wing and going for thunder on Dragapult.

I definitely welcome the suggestion to change the defensive core due to mine being a bit wild, but the threats you pointed out aren't really dealt with even with your team apart from Cinderace (who wasn't too much of a problem anyway, I had ways to play around it and hjk is very uncommon and risky against a double ghost team), ESPECIALLY magearna which got even more dangerous. good old Clef is definitely a good idea, especially unaware i would say, shuts down a lot of stupid set up sweepers. also, bulkup black glasses urshifu is something i'm considering, because sucker punch suddenly becomes more usable against HO.

EDIT: I'm starting to see a legitimate use for CB Rapid Strike Urshifu in this team, replacing his more popular variant. With an Adamant nature, it deals pretty strong damage to azumarill with close combat while resisting +6 aqua jet, plus his own aqua jet is a pretty strong priority against the likes of Volcarona (87.5% OHKO) and fire type Cinderace (43.8% OHKO) and it is a much safer move to click than sucker punch on a choiced set. RS Urshifu is also on of the most efficient magnets for Amoonguss, Tangrowth and Toxapex and can u-turn out from them as they switch in. These are three of the mons that Gengar takes advantage of and they are disgustingly common. As icing on the cake, with surging strikes' guaranteed crit it can deal full damage to an iron defense boosted magearna if I need it.

Last edited:
Yeah the Magearna one is my bad I originally changed your team to have Eerie Impulse Magearna and then realized that I removed your rocker and forgot about checking Magearna. That one is my fault.

I don't see the other ones. You toxic Volcarona and knock it off with Mandibuzz. This is a better way of dealing with Volcarona than your original Dragapult because it is more reliable. As an opponent, once I had scouted your Dragapult set, I would start brining in Volcarona and clicking Psychic to force chip on your Dragapult. Then, once it was in range, I would Quiver Dance on the switch and sweep your team. Mandibuzz has access to reliable recovery and the ability to cripple Volc with Toxic to prevent a sweep. Your matchup here is definitely improved.

I'm not going to go back through all my changes, but I think looking back at the team I would change Slowbro to Eerie Impulse Magearna.
Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 248HP/72Def/188SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spe
-Eerie Impulse
-Pain Split
-Fleur Cannon
-Volt Switch
Eerie Impulse Magearna is a hard counter to setup Magearna that allows you to get off slow volt switches into your Urshifu to claim kills. You could change the clef too if you want. Magearna also has defensive Utility versus Azumarill, it can revenge kill it with Fleur Cannon.
Sorry about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)