Gengar [Done]

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon

[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Gengar appears to be a dangerous special sweeper thanks to its high Special Attack and Speed. However, Gengar's main role is to directly switch into Normal-type attacks like Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Explosion as well as hard wall Wrap users and Persian because of its rare Ghost typing. It is also the fastest sleep inducer in the game with Hypnosis and can hit everything in the metagame for neutral damage thanks to Night Shade. From there, it can chip the foe with consistent damage or dent defensive switch-ins with Explosion. While all of these attributes are extremely appealing, keep in mind that Gengar has its fair share of shortcomings. For example, Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, so if it misses, it leaves Gengar open to attacks or being afflicted with status itself. Despite its great Ghost typing making it immune to Normal-type attacks, Gengar's secondary Poison typing leaves it weak to common coverage moves like Earthquake and Psychic, which most Pokemon in OU carry. Gengar also lacks a useful STAB move to nail Pokemon it should be able to hit for super effective damage such as Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Jynx. Its rather weak defenses and defensive typing on top of Hypnosis's shaky accuracy force Gengar to have slight competition with Exeggutor and Jynx as a sleep inducer, but Gengar is much faster than both of them and not as vulnerable to Blizzard and Explosion.

[SET]
name: Sleep Inducer
move 1: Hypnosis
move 2: Night Shade
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Hypnosis is Gengar's status move of choice, as it can cripple foes with sleep. Night Shade hits every single Pokemon in the metagame for 100 damage, providing important chip damage on Pokemon like Exeggutor, Rhydon, and Chansey. Thunderbolt is used mainly to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Slowbro, and Lapras for a decent amount of damage while doing the most damage to Snorlax and Tauros outside of Explosion. Explosion should primarily be used against Pokemon that Gengar can have issues beating, such as Alakazam and Chansey. It also can dent Exeggutor, Snorlax, and Tauros.

Gengar can be used as a lead for its positive matchup against the relatively uncommon slower sleepers such as Jynx, Exeggutor, and Chansey, but it does have shaky matchups against faster Thunder Wave leads like Alakazam and Starmie, as it really dislikes being paralyzed. Gengar can also directly switch into and counter Wrap users such as Victreebel and Dragonite without Thunder Wave, making them much less annoying. Once a foe is asleep, Gengar can switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip the foe down with Night Shade. Gengar should try to stay healthy throughout the match so it can take on Normal-types much more easily. If Gengar's health is low, it can be a good idea to use Explosion, as this move does considerable damage to anything that doesn't resist it and has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Explosion can also severely dent a threat that Gengar's team may struggle with, making it much easier to deal with. Gengar can also function as a solo sweeper, as Thunderbolt has decent neutral coverage and can break certain sleep absorbers such as Starmie. Gengar's Hypnosis will bait paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey in, so using Explosion is a good way to get rid of them. This way, another sleeper in the back won't have to worry about a paralyzed foe blocking their sleep-inducing move.

Gengar can fit on a myriad of teams thanks to its unique attributes, but that doesn't mean that it can sweep entire teams without support. Running an extra sleep inducer such as Exeggutor or Jynx is unorthodox, but it can be beneficial. Exeggutor can also help stomach incoming Earthquake, and both of them can take Psychic aimed at Gengar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Drain can be used to 2HKO Rhydon and Golem after Gengar puts them to sleep. Keep in mind that this only works if Gengar lands a Hypnosis or on a predicted switch, as Earthquake from these two will OHKO Gengar, and Mega Drain has little utility outside of this role. Confuse Ray can make Gengar more annoying to deal with, especially against paralyzed foes like Alakazam. Counter seems like an odd choice, since Gengar is already immune to Normal-type attacks. However, if Gengar comes in after your opponent uses Explosion, and if you can predict the opponent bringing something in that Gengar forces out, Counter will heavily dent something on the switch. Submission can be used to deal more damage to Chansey, especially after it has been put to sleep. Seismic Toss is an alternative to Night Shade, as it has 8 more PP at the cost of leaving Gengar susceptible to Counter. Hyper Beam is a decent option to pressure a paralyzed Alakazam or Jynx, as Gengar can really only use Explosion successfully on these Pokemon. Psychic can be used to get Special drops to reduce the Speed of paralyzed foes even further and allow paralyzed Pokemon of yours to outspeed them. It could also be decent against Rest variants of Snorlax trying to stall Gengar. In both instances, however, Thunderbolt usually does enough damage to these Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-type Pokemon**: Alakazam is one of the best ways to stop Gengar, as it is faster, can cripple Gengar with Thunder Wave, and can use Psychic to always 2HKO Gengar. Alakazam does have to be cautious if Gengar uses Explosion, as it has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Exeggutor can thwart Gengar thanks to its own Sleep Powder, Psychic, and Mega Drain. Jynx can also be an issue; Gengar does outspeed it, but Jynx can inflict heavy damage if Gengar misses Hypnosis, meaning it may need to use Explosion to do anything to Jynx.

**Chansey**: Chansey can force Gengar out because it usually carries Thunder Wave to paralyze it and can take any attack from Gengar barring Explosion on a critical hit. A healthy Chansey does have to be cautious of Hypnosis, however.

**Rhydon and Golem** Rhydon and Golem threaten Gengar because they are immune to Thunderbolt, resist Explosion, and can OHKO it with Earthquake.

**Paralysis**: Even though it's immune to Body Slam, Gengar absolutely does not want to be paralyzed by Thunder Wave. Starmie, Zapdos, and Jolteon are some of the Pokemon that can carry the move.

**Tauros**: Tauros Speed ties with Gengar and can 2HKO it with Earthquake. However, Tauros has no form of recovery and generally doesn't like switching into attacks.

**Snorlax**: Snorlax takes very little damage from Gengar's Thunderbolt, and Earthquake threatens to 2HKO in return.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[JustoonSmitts, 239732]]
- Quality checked by: [[The Idiot Ninja, 265630], [FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [Rabia, 336073]]

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not bad! Some unofficial advice:

Gengar has roles beyond sleeper lead, Explosion user, & Explosion eater, even if those are the ones most likely to be useful in *every* match. The other roles are:
1) walling Wrap users. Gengar's immune to the most accurate of those moves (Wrap itself) and outspeeds all of them (without boosts that is). Its role in stymieing this tactic is perhaps worth mentioning.
2) hard-walling Persian. Granted, it's less of a big deal than, say, Zapdos, but man-handling of Persian is still of note, as the cat outspeeds everything but Starmie (tie) and Zam (outsped) and does at *least* 40% to whatever, whenever, with STAB Crit Slash.

Checks & counters could be a little more fleshed out. The "Earthquake and Psychic" section in particular should perhaps cover a couple common matchups in a little more detail. Exeggutor is really good at thwarting Gengar. Rhydon & Golem stop Explosion and threaten to OHKO, but fear Giga Drain. There's also Chansey, who can run Reflect to negate the (non-crit) Explosion threat and outright walls Gengar otherwise. Barring Hypnosis of course. There's also the matchup against Jynx: Gengar outspeeds it, but Jynx does heavy damage (or outright kills with a crit) it if that 40% Hypnosis miss chance goes off, and in many cases Gengar ends up needing to Explode on it to salvage the scenario.

Quibbles:
It's weird to talk about Exeggutor as competition. In most situations, you're using Gengar *with* Exeggutor. I'm willing to concede if somebody says otherwise though: I recognize that folks nowadays are using Egg less often (it has always been a liability in certain scenarios, what with its weakness to the super-popular Blizzard), and Gengar is a natural replacement as it fills the niche of "sleeper".

I'm not sure Explosion as "last-ditch" is appropriate. If you can break a wall that's in your face, like a Chansey or Alakazam that's switched in, you consider taking it out, even if Gengar is at full. It doesn't have a ton of utility outside of Sleep + Explosion, and if Sleep is already used up, taking Chansey down with it is a huge success.

"Gengar should *always* be a lead" may be a little too limiting. There's potential value in a "secret" Gengar for absorbing Explosions, so there is reason to not give up "I have Gengar" information on turn 1 when what you get in exchange is a risky lead matchup against Jynx or an outright losing lead matchup against Alakazam. That said, "Almost always" would be more than fair, as it's true that Gengar fills the classical niche of "fastest sleep move" and can often struggle to switch in to use Hypnosis if it isn't a lead.

Further unofficial advice:
I agree with the things added by Jorgen, but just to expand on that a bit more.

Definitely scratch that "gar is only a lead" oart though. Because that is absolutely not true. Its Lead match-ups are terrible vs the two most common leads, Alakazam and (Psychic) Starmie. And even in the "good" one vs Jynx, you have a huge chance to fail. (I'm not mentioning Exeggutor or Hypno or whatever here, those can be seen in the lead spot as well, but very rarely). Using Gengar outside of the lead is completely fine. Regarding the purpose, I'll add something below.

Yea, Wrap absolutely needs to be mentioned big time in a Gengar analysis. It's the absolute best counter measure vs it.

Additionally elaborate more on Gengar's Normal immunity. It's the biggest selling point after "sleep" and "explosion". A lot of Snorlax are using a set with Reflect and Rest (and Body Slam). The third move is not necessarily EQ. In fact Ice Beam or Self Destruct or Hyper Beam or even Amnesia are all used, and some definitely more often atm than EQ. Here's where non-lead Gengar shines, since it walles that one. This is very important! And I'd defeinitely mention that psychic has a purpose in that scenario, since Snorlax can Rest-stall Gengar out of Thunderbolts if Gengar does not manage to crit twice while Lax is asleep. Psychic Special drop will make actually breaking Lax a lot more possible. It also hits Victreebel (unfortnually, it does not 2HKO without a crit or drop, but those are likely enough). Vic does not beat you anyway, but if you need to Night Shade beat i, it will take half your HP with Razor Leafs, leaving you to be OHKOed by virtually any Psychic and Earthquake.

Not sure how far down the rabbit hole we wanna go with the OO part, but Gengar does also get Counter, Confuse Ray, Hyper Beam, Submission. Not all of them deserve a mention of course, but just a brief explanation for all of them:

Counter might seem weird on Gengar since it is immune to fightig and normal type attacks. However, you can bring it in after you opponent used Explosion if you predict him to bring somethin in that is forced out By Gengar (Hypnosis). Counter on the switch will blow something back.
Confuse Ray should be obvious. Gengar is fast, and it annoys stuff, especially when paralyzed. It might help in desperate situations vs a paralyzed Alakazam.
Hyper Beam does 42-49 to Alakazam (not to mention a crit). Paralyzed Alakazam is the best Counter to Gengar, and Gengar can only Explode on it usually. A 70% Alakazam (say, it took an S-Toss from something before) switching into Thunderbolt trying to block sleep could be then KOed by surprise Hyper Beam (it also hits Jynx, I guess). Probably not OO-worthy though?
Last but not least, Submission. Doing 35-40 to Chansey, a Chansey trying to block the Hypnosis at like 75 can find itself being in trouble (again, gar has a high crit chance). The recoil hurts and will put you in EQ range if you really take out a 70% Chansey, but it's also something surprising.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
"Gengar should almost always be used as a lead so that it can put something to sleep then switch out"; incorrect. Gengar CAN be used as a lead for its positive match ups against the relatively uncommon slower sleepers (Jynx, Exeggutor, Chansey), but against faster Thunder Wave leads (Alakazam, Starmie) it definitely does not want to click Hypnosis as the odds of landing it through paralysis are really shaky and he really dislikes being paralyzed in general. He's equally fine in lead and in the back.

The teammates section should be revamped, some of the things in there are straight up wrong ('paralysis support' - if anything Gengar wants everything on the enemy team to be unstatused so that he can Hypnosis freely as soon as he gets to switch on a Body Slam), some others are weird (mentions of Tauros and Snorlax - nothing in the entire RBY universe dislikes being on a team with those two, as well as 'dual sleeper core' - running two sleepers is becoming increasingly rare and in general if anything multiple sleep moves on a team tends to be anti-synergic).
I'd rebuild it to say that it can function both as a solo sleeper (his Thunderbolt breaks potential sleepblockers such as Starmie) but has to watch out for paralyzed Chanseys in that case as they can block his sleep throughout the entire game, or as a lure to open up the path for a backup sleeper - his Hypnosis threat will bait paralyzed Alakazam and Chanseys in, he can explode on them to get rid of them and free up the status for another sleeper in the back that doesn't have to worry about paralyzed things blocking the sleep moves anymore (Exeggutor or Jynx generally). Those two targets also happen to be some of the
He does having Chansey, Snorlax, and Tauros as teammates, but that's true of every Pokemon in RBY, they are pretty necessary in building a stable team. I don't think that's worth pointing out here specifically.

Other Options is okay, but I'd do some tweaks: all-out attacker is not really worth a mention, Hypnosis is too good to give up in an overwhelming majority of the circumstances. Mega Drain is fine but do mention that the 2HKO also works on a predicted switch-in (as in, you MD as the rock/ground switches in, now it has to either die or switch back out; sleep isn't necessary). Psychic is hardly ever worth it, I wouldn't mention it. I'd mention Seismic Toss as a Night Shade alternative that has 8 more PP but can be Countered - the extra PP is irrelevant in a vast majority of cases, but it's not like Counter is a terribly relevant scenario either. I think Hyper Beam is also worthy of an OO mention for the reason Lusch described, Alakazam pressure. Looks good otherwise, maybe clean up formatting a bit.

Chansey should definitely be mentioned in the checks and counters, Thunder Wave scares the living hell out of Gengar and she takes nothing unless vulnerable to Hypnosis (or if Gengar chooses to explode)
I'd clean up the Earthquake and Psychic section and split it because those are vastly different moves. I'd recommend splitting it into Rhydon and Golem (tbolt immunity, explosion resistance, OHKO threat with earthquake, mega drain is almost never seen), and then Exeggutor as the only other Psychic really worth mentioning, since you already covered Alakazam (Eggy has a tbolt resistance, good natural bulk so he doesn't take that much from Gengar's explosion, and threatens to wreck it with stab psychic). Jynx isn't really a good match up into Gengar.
I'd remove the mention of Gengar being slept by opposing sleepers, he's the fastest one around so it's generally a very unlikely scenario. TWave is the only status it really really fears in most games.
I'd also add a section for EQ Snorlax, it also takes pretty low damage from tbolt and threatens a 2HKO.

Implement all of these changes and I'll be back to give you your QC stamp

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
You say both "When Gengar is in play, try to put something to sleep with Hypnosis then switch out, as its Normal-immunity can be useful in certain situations later on in the match such as coming in on Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Self-Destruct from Tauros and Snorlax." and then later on again "Once an opponent is asleep, Gengar can either switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip it down with Night Shade." As both sentences cover very similar concepts, you could look to merge these two - cut the first sentence entirely, and add that you generally want to keep Gengar healthy to allow it to take on Normal types more easily later on at the end of the second, maybe.

Team Options is doing better but still not quite there. "Gengar can pressure paralyzed Alakazam, Chansey, and Tauros with Explosion so that they can use thier status moves after Gengar.": Alakazam and Chansey yes, but Tauros is never used as a sleep blocker. I'd also make it clearer that it pressures Alakazam and Chansey via Explosion, since it's not clear in the current form of the article. And in the following sentences, Jynx definitely can't help stomach Earthquakes.

The rest seems good. QC 1/2 once you implement these tweaks

JustoonSmitts

You say both "When Gengar is in play, try to put something to sleep with Hypnosis then switch out, as its Normal-immunity can be useful in certain situations later on in the match such as coming in on Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Self-Destruct from Tauros and Snorlax." and then later on again "Once an opponent is asleep, Gengar can either switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip it down with Night Shade." As both sentences cover very similar concepts, you could look to merge these two - cut the first sentence entirely, and add that you generally want to keep Gengar healthy to allow it to take on Normal types more easily later on at the end of the second, maybe.

Team Options is doing better but still not quite there. "Gengar can pressure paralyzed Alakazam, Chansey, and Tauros with Explosion so that they can use thier status moves after Gengar.": Alakazam and Chansey yes, but Tauros is never used as a sleep blocker. I'd also make it clearer that it pressures Alakazam and Chansey via Explosion, since it's not clear in the current form of the article. And in the following sentences, Jynx definitely can't help stomach Earthquakes.

The rest seems good. QC 1/2 once you implement these tweaks
Thank you again, my man! Implemented and ready for one more check. :blobthumbsup:

Rhydon or Golem can be good partners for Gengar thanks to their immunity to Thunder Wave.
While this is factually true, in practice Gengar is rather rarely used on the same team as rocks. I would just remove that part or at least not mention it as first team mates. Tauros, Snorlax, Exeggutor and Chansey are on many teams which means if you want to use Gengar with them, you only have spot for another filler. It also is weak to EQ Tauros which, just like Rhydon is so you would stack weaknesses a bit. That doesn't mean it can't be used.

Rhydon can also set up Substitute in front of Gengar if Hypnosis misses.
I would remove this. Substitute doesn't block Hypnosis in this gen which means if you face an unparalysed Gengar and expect it to use Hypnosis, you better just attack as otherwise it will get another chance to hit it next turn.
There are a few exceptions of course e.g. when you need the double Hypnosis miss so you can beat another mon with Rhydon after Gengar faints.

**Tauros**: Tauros speed ties with Gengar and can 2HKO Gengar with Earthquake. It can be stopped by Hypnosis, however.
Mention that unlike other pokemon like Alakazam, Chansey or Starmie, Tauros has no form of recovery and generally doesn't like switching into attacks. In short, make it clear that it can threaten Gengar but that it doesn't want to be used as a check for it until the endgame.

Thunderbolt is used mainly to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Slowbro, and Lapras for a decent amount of damage.
Maybe also mention that it is the move besides Explosion or the inaccurate Thunder that does the most damage to Snorlax and Tauros.

Maybe add Psychic to OO as it could be used to get special drops to reduce the speed of paralysed opponents so the paralysed mon you bring in next outspeeds them. It could also be decent vs Snorlax trying to RestStall you but against those TBolt is already good enough. Don't get me wrong, this is not common but maybe it should be mentioned.

The analysis looks very good overall.

JustoonSmitts

While this is factually true, in practice Gengar is rather rarely used on the same team as rocks. I would just remove that part or at least not mention it as first team mates. Tauros, Snorlax, Exeggutor and Chansey are on many teams which means if you want to use Gengar with them, you only have spot for another filler. It also is weak to EQ Tauros which, just like Rhydon is so you would stack weaknesses a bit. That doesn't mean it can't be used.

I would remove this. Substitute doesn't block Hypnosis in this gen which means if you face an unparalysed Gengar and expect it to use Hypnosis, you better just attack as otherwise it will get another chance to hit it next turn.
There are a few exceptions of course e.g. when you need the double Hypnosis miss so you can beat another mon with Rhydon after Gengar faints.

Mention that unlike other pokemon like Alakazam, Chansey or Starmie, Tauros has no form of recovery and generally doesn't like switching into attacks. In short, make it clear that it can threaten Gengar but that it doesn't want to be used as a check for it until the endgame.

Maybe also mention that it is the move besides Explosion or the inaccurate Thunder that does the most damage to Snorlax and Tauros.

Maybe add Psychic to OO as it could be used to get special drops to reduce the speed of paralysed opponents so the paralysed mon you bring in next outspeeds them. It could also be decent vs Snorlax trying to RestStall you but against those TBolt is already good enough. Don't get me wrong, this is not common but maybe it should be mentioned.

The analysis looks very good overall.
Thank you, my man! I went ahead and updated the analysis with your suggestions.

One more suggestion:

Since this set does not really threaten Rhydon or Golem, having a Pokemon that can pressure them such as Exeggutor, Starmie, or Slowbro would be advisable.
I think that can also be removed. You already pointed out that Exeggutor and Gengar have decent synergy and if Rhydon takes Night Shade on the switch in, you can just go to Eggy. What I'm trying to say is that even though Gengar would lose a 1v1, it still doesn't allow Rhydon to switch in for free and doesn't make your team more weak to it than a Stoss Chansey or so would. Besides that, Slowbro could get 3HKO'd by Rhydon which means it can only check it once.

Also I would list Psychic last or close to last in the OOs because it is not as good as some others.

Once you have done that, you can consider it having my QC approval.

AMGP check
add remove comments
(AC) = Add Comma, (SC) = SemiColon, (RC) = Remove Comma, (RP) = Remove Period

Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to use whatever you want from it.

[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Gengar appears to be a dangerous special sweeper thanks to its high Special Attack and Speed stats. However, Gengar's main role in OverUsed is that it can to directly switch into Normal-type attacks like Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Explosion, as well as hard-wall Wrap users and Persian because of its rare Ghost-typing. It is also the fastest sleep inducer in the game, (AC) with Hypnosis (stated in moveset) that and it can hit everything in the metagame for neutral damage thanks to its Night Shade. From there, it can either chip the opponent with Night Shade or dent defensive switch(AH)ins with Explosion.
(new paragraph)
While all of these attributes are extremely appealing, keep in mind that Gengar has its fair share of shortcomings. For example, Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, so if it misses it leaves Gengar open to attack or being afflicted with status itself. Despite its great Ghost-typing making it immune to Normal-type attacks (already stated earlier), Gengar's secondary Poison-typing leaves it weak to the common coverage moves like Earthquake and Psychic, which most Pokemon in OverUsed carry. Gengar also lacks a useful STAB move to nail Pokemon it should be able to hit for super-effective damage (RC) such as Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Jynx. Its rather weak defenses and defensive typing on top of Hypnosis' shaky accuracy force Gengar to have slight competition with Exeggutor and Jynx as a sleep inducer, but it is much faster than both of them and it is not as vulnerable to Blizzard or Explosion.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Hypnosis is Gengar's status move of choice, as it can cripple opponents with Sleep. Night Shade hits every single Pokemon in the metagame for 100 damage, providing important chip damage on Pokemon like Exeggutor, Rhydon, and Chansey. Thunderbolt is used mainly to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Slowbro, and Lapras for a decent amount of damage while also doing the most damage to Snorlax and Tauros outside of Explosion. Explosion should primarily be used against Pokemon that Gengar can have issues beating (RC) such as Alakazam and Chansey; (SC) it also can dent Exeggutor, Snorlax, and Tauros.

Gengar can be used as a lead for its positive match(remove space)ups against the relatively uncommon slower sleepers leads such as Jynx, Exeggutor, and Chansey, but does have it has shaky matchups against faster Thunder Wave leads like Alakazam and Starmie as because it really dislikes being paralyzed in general. It can also directly simultaneously switch into and counter Wrap users such as Victreebel and Dragonite without Thunder Wave, making them much less annoying (I'm a bit confused by the "without Thunder Wave" in this sentence. Does this imply that neither Victreebel nor Dragonite can paralyze Victreebel, or is this supposed to imply that this only works if neither Pokemon has the means to paralyze it? If that's the case, I guess Stun Spore Victreebel should be mentioned). Once an opponent is asleep, Gengar can either switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip wear it down with Night Shade (You've been saying "chip" a lot, so changing up the wording flows a bit nicer here imo. If you disagree though feel free to disregard that change). Gengar should try to be stay healthy throughout the match so that it can take on Normal-types much easier more reliably. If Gengar's health is low, it can be a good idea to go ahead and use Explosion, as this move does considerable damage to anything that doesn't resist it and has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Explosion can also severely dent a threat that Gengar's team may struggle with, making it much easier to deal with. (I feel like this sentence is ambiguous and redundant. Also, Explosion's high damage output was described in the previous sentence.) It Gengar can also function as a solo sweeper, as Thunderbolt has decent neutral coverage and can break certain Pokemon that try to block Hypnosis sleep absorbers such as Starmie. Gengar's Hypnosis will bait paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey in, so then it can be a good idea to explode on them to get rid of them and free up the status for another sleeper in the back so that they don't another sleeper in the back doesn't have to worry about something paralyzed blocking their sleep moves.

Gengar can fit on a myriad of teams thanks to its unique attributes, but that doesn't mean that it can sweep entire teams without support. Running an extra sleep inducer such as Exeggutor or Jynx is unorthodox, but it can be beneficial: Gengar can pressure paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey with Explosion so that they can use their status moves after Gengar. (already mentioned above) Exeggutor can also help stomach incoming Earthquakes and both of them Exeggutor and Jynx can take Psychics aimed at taking out Gengar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Drain can be used to 2HKO Rhydon and Golem after it puts them to sleep. Keep in mind that this only works if Gengar lands a Hypnosis or on a predicted switch, as Earthquake from these two will OHKO Gengar, and Mega Drain has little utility outside of this role. Confuse Ray can make Gengar more annoying to deal with, especially against paralyzed foes like Alakazam. Counter seems like an odd choice since Gengar is already immune to Normal-type attacks; (SC) however, Gengar can come in after your opponent uses Explosion if you can predict the opponent to bring something in that is forced out by Gengar Gengar forces out, then Counter will heavily dent something on the switch. Submission can also be used to deal more damage to Chansey, especially after it has been put to sleep. Seismic Toss is an alternative to Night Shade as it has 8 more PP at the cost of being able to be Countered susceptible to Counter (does Seismic Toss affect opposing Gengar/Ghost-types?). Hyper Beam is a decent option to pressure a paralyzed Alakazam and Jynx, as it can really only Explode on these Pokemon. Psychic can be used to get special drops to reduce the speed of paralyzed opponents so the paralyzed Pokemon you bring in next outspeeds them. It could also be decent against Rest variants of Snorlax trying to stall Gengar. In both instances, however, Thunderbolt usually does enough damage to these Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-type Pokemon**: Alakazam is one of the best ways to stop Gengar as it is faster, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and Psychic will always be a 2HKO Gengar. Alakazam does have to be cautious of Gengar's Explosion, as it has a chance to OHKO it. Exeggutor can thwart Gengar thanks to its own Sleep Powder, Psychic, and Mega Drain. Jynx can also be an issue: Gengar does outspeed it but Jynx can inflict heavily damage it if it misses Hypnosis. (RP), meaning it may need to use Explosion to do anything to it.

**Chansey**: (remove space) Chansey can force Gengar out of the battle because it usually carries Thunder Wave to paralyze it and it can take any attack from Gengar barring Explosion with a critical hit. A healthy Chansey does have to be cautious of Hypnosis, (AC) however.

**Rhydon and Golem** Rhydon and Golem threaten Gengar because they are immune to Thunderbolt, resist Explosion, and can OHKO it with Earthquake.. (RP)

**Paralysis**: Even if it's immune to Body Slam, Gengar absolutely does not want to be paralyzed by Thunder Wave. Starmie, Zapdos, and Jolteon are some of the Pokemon that can carry the move.

**Tauros**: Tauros speed ties with Gengar and can 2HKO Gengar with Earthquake. However, unlike other pokemon like Alakazam, Chansey or Starmie, Tauros has no form of recovery and generally doesn't like switching into attacks.

**Snorlax**: Snorlax takes very little damage from Gengar's Thunderbolt and Earthquake threatens to 2HKO it.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
[/QUOTE]

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Amcheck, feel free to implement what you would like. Keep in mind that when saying a Pokemon has "some typing", it shouldn't be hyphenated. Stole a few changes from Excal. Add Remove Comments (AH) = Add Hyphen (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (AP) = Add Period (RP) = Remove Period (RS) = Remove Space
View attachment 165390
**artwork by me**

[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Gengar appears to be a dangerous special sweeper thanks to its high Special Attack and Speed stats. However, Gengar's main role in OverUsed OU is that it can to directly switch into Normal-type attacks like Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Explosion, as well as hard-wall Wrap users and Persian because of its rare Ghost-typing Ghost typing. It is also the fastest sleep inducer in the game with Hypnosis that can hit everything in the metagame for neutral damage thanks to Night Shade. From there, it can either chip the opponent foe with Night Shade or dent defensive switch-ins (AH) with Explosion. While all of these attributes are extremely appealing, keep in mind that Gengar has its fair share of shortcomings. For example, Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, so if it misses it leaves Gengar open to attacks or being afflicted with status itself. Despite its great Ghost-typing Ghost typing making it immune to Normal-type attacks, Gengar's secondary Poison-typing Poison typing leaves it weak to the common coverage moves like Earthquake and Psychic, which most Pokemon in OverUsed OU carry. Gengar also lacks a useful STAB move to nail Pokemon it should be able to hit for super-effective super effective damage, (RC) such as Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Jynx. Its rather weak defenses and defensive typing on top of Hypnosis's shaky accuracy force Gengar to have slight competition with Exeggutor and Jynx as a sleep inducer, but it Gengar is much faster than both of them and not as vulnerable to Blizzard or Explosion.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Hypnosis is Gengar's status move of choice, as it can cripple opponents foes with Sleep sleep. Night Shade hits every single Pokemon in the metagame for 100 damage, providing important chip damage on Pokemon like Exeggutor, Rhydon, and Chansey. Thunderbolt is used mainly to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Slowbro, and Lapras for a decent amount of damage while also doing the most damage to Snorlax and Tauros outside of Explosion. Explosion should primarily be used against Pokemon that Gengar can have issues beating, such as Alakazam and Chansey. It also can dent Exeggutor, Snorlax, and Tauros.

Gengar can be used as a lead for its positive match ups matchup against the relatively uncommon slower sleepers such as Jynx, Exeggutor, and Chansey, but it does have shaky matchups against faster Thunder Wave leads like Alakazam and Starmie, (AC) as it really dislikes being paralyzed in general. It Gengar can also directly switch into and counter Wrap users such as Victreebel and Dragonite without Thunder Wave, making them much less annoying. Once an opponent a foe is asleep, Gengar can either switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip it down with Night Shade. Gengar should try to be stay healthy throughout the match so that it can take on Normal-types much easier. If Gengar's health is low, it can be a good idea to go ahead and use Explosion, as this move does considerable damage to anything that doesn't resist it and has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Explosion can also severely dent a threat that Gengar's team may struggle with, making it much easier to deal with. It can also function as a solo sweeper, as Thunderbolt has decent neutral coverage and can break certain Pokemon that try to block Hypnosis sleep absorbers such as Starmie. Gengar's Hypnosis will bait paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey in, so then it can be a good idea to explode on them using Explosion is a good way to get rid of them. (AP) and free up the status for This way, another sleeper in the back so that they don't won't have to worry about something a paralyzed foe blocking their sleep inducing moves.

Gengar can fit on a myriad of teams thanks to its unique attributes, but that doesn't mean that it can sweep entire teams without support. Running an extra sleep inducer such as Exggutor or Jynx is unorthodox, but it can be beneficial: Gengar can pressure paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey with Explosion so that they can use their status moves after Gengar. (This was already mentioned above, keep period) Exeggutor can also help stomach incoming Earthquakes and both of them can take Psychics aimed at taking out Gengar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Drain can be used to 2HKO Rhydon and Golem after it Gengar puts them to sleep. Keep in mind that this only works if Gengar lands a Hypnosis or on a predicted switch, as Earthquake from these two will OHKO Gengar, (RC) and Mega Drain has little utility outside of this role. Confuse Ray can make Gengar more annoying to deal with, especially against paralyzed foes like Alakazam. Counter seems like an odd choice since Gengar is already immune to Normal-type attacks. However, Gengar can come in after your opponent uses Explosion if you can predict the opponent to bring bringing something in that is forced out by Gengar forces out, then Counter will heavily dent something on the switch. Submission can also be used to deal more damage to Chansey, especially after it has been put to sleep. Seismic Toss is an alternative to Night Shade, (AC) as it has 8 more PP at the cost of being able to be Countered susceptible to Counter. Hyper Beam is a decent option to pressure a paralyzed Alakazam and Jynx, as it Gengar can really only Explode use Explosion successfully on these Pokemon. Psychic can be used to get special drops to reduce the speed of paralyzed opponents so foes, that way the paralyzed Pokemon you bring in next outspeeds them. It could also be decent against Rest variants of Snorlax trying to stall Gengar. In both instances, however, Thunderbolt usually does enough damage to these Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-type Pokemon**: Alakazam is one of the best ways to stop Gengar, (AC) as it is faster, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and can use Psychic will to always 2HKO Gengar. Alakazam does have to be cautious if Gengar uses Explosion, as it has a chance to OHKO it. Exeggutor can thwart Gengar thanks to its own Sleep Powder, Psychic, and Mega Drain. Jynx can also be an issue: Gengar does outspeed it, (AC) but Jynx can heavily inflict heavy damage it if it Gengar misses Hypnosis., (RP, keep comma) meaning it may need to use Explosion to do anything to it Jynx.

**Chansey**: (RS) Chansey can force Gengar out of the battle because it usually carries Thunder Wave to paralyze it and it can take any attack from Gengar barring Explosion with a critical hit. A healthy Chansey does have to be cautious of Hypnosis, however.

**Rhydon and Golem** Rhydon and Golem threaten Gengar because they are immune to Thunderbolt, resist Explosion, and can OHKO it with Earthquake.. (Remove one period)

**Paralysis**: Even if though it's immune to Body Slam, Gengar absolutely does not want to be paralyzed by Thunder Wave. Starmie, Zapdos, and Jolteon are some of the Pokemon that can carry the move.

**Tauros**: Tauros speed Speed ties with Gengar and can 2HKO Gengar with Earthquake. However, unlike other pokemon like Alakazam, Chansey or Starmie, Tauros has no form of recovery and generally doesn't like switching into attacks.

**Snorlax**: Snorlax takes very little damage from Gengar's Thunderbolt and Earthquake threatens to 2HKO it.

[CREDITS]

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

Amcheck, feel free to implement what you would like. Keep in mind that when saying a Pokemon has "some typing", it shouldn't be hyphenated. Stole a few changes from Excal. Add Remove Comments (AH) = Add Hyphen (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (AP) = Add Period (RP) = Remove Period (RS) = Remove Space
View attachment 165390
**artwork by me**

[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Gengar appears to be a dangerous special sweeper thanks to its high Special Attack and Speed. However, Gengar's main role in OU is to directly switch into Normal-type attacks like Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Explosion, as well as hard-wall Wrap users and Persian because of its rare Ghost typing. It is also the fastest sleep inducer in the game with Hypnosis that can hit everything in the metagame for neutral damage thanks to Night Shade. From there, it can either chip the foe with Night Shade or dent defensive switch-ins with Explosion. While all of these attributes are extremely appealing, keep in mind that Gengar has its fair share of shortcomings. For example, Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, so if it misses it leaves Gengar open to attacks or being afflicted with status itself. Despite its great Ghost typing making it immune to Normal-type attacks, Gengar's secondary Poison typing leaves it weak to common coverage moves like Earthquake and Psychic, which most Pokemon in OU carry. Gengar also lacks a useful STAB move to nail Pokemon it should be able to hit for super effective damage such as Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Jynx. Its rather weak defenses and defensive typing on top of Hypnosis's shaky accuracy force Gengar to have slight competition with Exeggutor and Jynx as a sleep inducer, but Gengar is much faster than both of them and not as vulnerable to Blizzard or Explosion.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Hypnosis is Gengar's status move of choice, as it can cripple foes with sleep. Night Shade hits every single Pokemon in the metagame for 100 damage, providing important chip damage on Pokemon like Exeggutor, Rhydon, and Chansey. Thunderbolt is used mainly to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Slowbro, and Lapras for a decent amount of damage while also doing the most damage to Snorlax and Tauros outside of Explosion. Explosion should primarily be used against Pokemon that Gengar can have issues beating, such as Alakazam and Chansey. It also can dent Exeggutor, Snorlax, and Tauros.

Gengar can be used as a lead for its positive matchup against the relatively uncommon slower sleepers such as Jynx, Exeggutor, and Chansey, but it does have shaky matchups against faster Thunder Wave leads like Alakazam and Starmie, as it really dislikes being paralyzed in general. Gengar can also directly switch into and counter Wrap users such as Victreebel and Dragonite without Thunder Wave, making them much less annoying. Once a foe is asleep, Gengar can either switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip it down with Night Shade. Gengar should try to stay healthy throughout the match so it can take on Normal-types much easier. If Gengar's health is low, it can be a good idea to use Explosion, as this move does considerable damage to anything that doesn't resist it and has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Explosion can also severely dent a threat that Gengar's team may struggle with, making it much easier to deal with. It can also function as a solo sweeper, as Thunderbolt has decent neutral coverage and can break certain sleep absorbers such as Starmie. Gengar's Hypnosis will bait paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey in, so using Explosion is a good way to get rid of them. This way, another sleeper in the back won't have to worry about a paralyzed foe blocking their sleep inducing moves.

Gengar can fit on a myriad of teams thanks to its unique attributes, but that doesn't mean that it can sweep entire teams without support. Running an extra sleep inducer such as Exggutor or Jynx is unorthodox, but it can be beneficial. Exeggutor can also help stomach incoming Earthquake and both of them can take Psychic aimed at taking out Gengar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Drain can be used to 2HKO Rhydon and Golem after Gengar puts them to sleep. Keep in mind that this only works if Gengar lands a Hypnosis or on a predicted switch, as Earthquake from these two will OHKO Gengar and Mega Drain has little utility outside of this role. Confuse Ray can make Gengar more annoying to deal with, especially against paralyzed foes like Alakazam. Counter seems like an odd choice since Gengar is already immune to Normal-type attacks. However, Gengar can come in after your opponent uses Explosion if you can predict the opponent bringing something in that Gengar forces out, then Counter will heavily dent something on the switch. Submission can also be used to deal more damage to Chansey, especially after it has been put to sleep. Seismic Toss is an alternative to Night Shade, as it has 8 more PP at the cost of being susceptible to Counter. Hyper Beam is a decent option to pressure a paralyzed Alakazam and Jynx, as Gengar can really only use Explosion successfully on these Pokemon. Psychic can be used to get special drops to reduce the speed of paralyzed foes, that way the paralyzed Pokemon you bring in next outspeeds them. It could also be decent against Rest variants of Snorlax trying to stall Gengar. In both instances, however, Thunderbolt usually does enough damage to these Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-type Pokemon**: Alakazam is one of the best ways to stop Gengar, as it is faster, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and can use Psychic to always 2HKO Gengar. Alakazam does have to be cautious if Gengar uses Explosion, as it has a chance to OHKO it. Exeggutor can thwart Gengar thanks to its own Sleep Powder, Psychic, and Mega Drain. Jynx can also be an issue: Gengar does outspeed it, but Jynx can inflict heavy damage if Gengar misses Hypnosis, meaning it may need to use Explosion to do anything to Jynx.

**Chansey**: Chansey can force Gengar out because it usually carries Thunder Wave to paralyze it and take any attack from Gengar barring Explosion with a critical hit. A healthy Chansey does have to be cautious of Hypnosis, however.

**Rhydon and Golem** Rhydon and Golem threaten Gengar because they are immune to Thunderbolt, resist Explosion, and can OHKO it with Earthquake.

**Paralysis**: Even though it's immune to Body Slam, Gengar absolutely does not want to be paralyzed by Thunder Wave. Starmie, Zapdos, and Jolteon are some of the Pokemon that can carry the move.

**Tauros**: Tauros Speed ties with Gengar and can 2HKO Gengar with Earthquake. However, Tauros has no form of recovery and generally doesn't like switching into attacks.

[CREDITS]
Did this. Thank you. :)

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Gengar appears to be a dangerous special sweeper thanks to its high Special Attack and Speed. However, Gengar's main role in OU is to directly switch into Normal-type attacks like Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Explosion, as well as hard wall (RH) Wrap users and Persian because of its rare Ghost typing. It is also the fastest sleep inducer in the game with Hypnosis that and can hit everything in the metagame for neutral damage thanks to Night Shade. From there, it can either chip the foe with Night Shade consistent damage (idk, repetition) or dent defensive switch-ins with Explosion. While all of these attributes are extremely appealing, keep in mind that Gengar has its fair share of shortcomings. For example, Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, so if it misses, (AC) it leaves Gengar open to attacks or being afflicted with status itself. Despite its great Ghost typing making it immune to Normal-type attacks, Gengar's secondary Poison typing leaves it weak to common coverage moves like Earthquake and Psychic, which most Pokemon in OU carry. Gengar also lacks a useful STAB move to nail Pokemon it should be able to hit for super effective damage such as Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Jynx. Its rather weak defenses and defensive typing on top of Hypnosis's shaky accuracy force Gengar to have slight competition with Exeggutor and Jynx as a sleep inducer, but Gengar is much faster than both of them and not as vulnerable to Blizzard or Explosion.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Hypnosis is Gengar's status move of choice, as it can cripple foes with sleep. Night Shade hits every single Pokemon in the metagame for 100 damage, providing important chip damage on Pokemon like Exeggutor, Rhydon, and Chansey. Thunderbolt is used mainly to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Slowbro, and Lapras for a decent amount of damage while also doing the most damage to Snorlax and Tauros outside of Explosion. Explosion should primarily be used against Pokemon that Gengar can have issues beating, such as Alakazam and Chansey. It also can dent Exeggutor, Snorlax, and Tauros.

Gengar can be used as a lead for its positive matchup against the relatively uncommon slower sleepers such as Jynx, Exeggutor, and Chansey, but it does have shaky matchups against faster Thunder Wave leads like Alakazam and Starmie, as it really dislikes being paralyzed in general. Gengar can also directly switch into and counter Wrap users such as Victreebel and Dragonite without Thunder Wave, making them much less annoying. Once a foe is asleep, Gengar can either switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip it the foe down with Night Shade. Gengar should try to stay healthy throughout the match so it can take on Normal-types much easier more easily. If Gengar's health is low, it can be a good idea to use Explosion, as this move does considerable damage to anything that doesn't resist it and has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Explosion can also severely dent a threat that Gengar's team may struggle with, making it much easier to deal with. It Gengar can also function as a solo sweeper, as Thunderbolt has decent neutral coverage and can break certain sleep absorbers such as Starmie. Gengar's Hypnosis will bait paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey in, so using Explosion is a good way to get rid of them. This way, another sleeper in the back won't have to worry about a paralyzed foe blocking their sleep-inducing (AH) moves.

Gengar can fit on a myriad of teams thanks to its unique attributes, but that doesn't mean that it can sweep entire teams without support. Running an extra sleep inducer such as Exggutor Exeggutor or Jynx is unorthodox, but it can be beneficial. Exeggutor can also help stomach incoming Earthquake, (AC) and both of them can take Psychic aimed at taking out Gengar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Drain can be used to 2HKO Rhydon and Golem after Gengar puts them to sleep. Keep in mind that this only works if Gengar lands a Hypnosis or on a predicted switch, as Earthquake from these two will OHKO Gengar, (AC) and Mega Drain has little utility outside of this role. Confuse Ray can make Gengar more annoying to deal with, especially against paralyzed foes like Alakazam. Counter seems like an odd choice, (AC) since Gengar is already immune to Normal-type attacks. However, if Gengar can come comes in after your opponent uses Explosion (RC) and if you can predict the opponent bringing something in that Gengar forces out, then Counter will heavily dent something on the switch. Submission can also be used to deal more damage to Chansey, especially after it has been put to sleep. Seismic Toss is an alternative to Night Shade, as it has 8 more PP at the cost of being leaving Gengar susceptible to Counter. Hyper Beam is a decent option to pressure a paralyzed Alakazam and Jynx, as Gengar can really only use Explosion successfully on these Pokemon. Psychic can be used to get special drops to reduce the Speed of paralyzed foes even further (RC) that way the and allow paralyzed Pokemon you bring in next outspeeds of yours to outspeed them. It could also be decent against Rest variants of Snorlax trying to stall Gengar. In both instances, however, Thunderbolt usually does enough damage to these Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-type Pokemon**: Alakazam is one of the best ways to stop Gengar, as it is faster, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and can use Psychic to always 2HKO Gengar. Alakazam does have to be cautious if Gengar uses Explosion, as it has a chance to OHKO it. Exeggutor can thwart Gengar thanks to its own Sleep Powder, Psychic, and Mega Drain. Jynx can also be an issue: Gengar does outspeed it, but Jynx can inflict heavy damage if Gengar misses Hypnosis, meaning it may need to use Explosion to do anything to Jynx.

**Chansey**: Chansey can force Gengar out because it usually carries Thunder Wave to paralyze it and take any attack from Gengar barring Explosion with on a critical hit. A healthy Chansey does have to be cautious of Hypnosis, however.

**Tauros**: Tauros Speed ties with Gengar and can 2HKO Gengar with Earthquake. However, Tauros has no form of recovery and generally doesn't like switching into attacks.

**Snorlax**: Snorlax takes very little damage from Gengar's Thunderbolt, (AC) and Earthquake threatens to 2HKO it in return.

[CREDITS]

JustoonSmitts

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Gengar appears to be a dangerous special sweeper thanks to its high Special Attack and Speed. However, Gengar's main role in OU is to directly switch into Normal-type attacks like Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Explosion, as well as hard wall Wrap users and Persian because of its rare Ghost typing. It is also the fastest sleep inducer in the game with Hypnosis and can hit everything in the metagame for neutral damage thanks to Night Shade. From there, it can either chip the foe with consistent damage or dent defensive switch-ins with Explosion. While all of these attributes are extremely appealing, keep in mind that Gengar has its fair share of shortcomings. For example, Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, so if it misses, it leaves Gengar open to attacks or being afflicted with status itself. Despite its great Ghost typing making it immune to Normal-type attacks, Gengar's secondary Poison typing leaves it weak to common coverage moves like Earthquake and Psychic, which most Pokemon in OU carry. Gengar also lacks a useful STAB move to nail Pokemon it should be able to hit for super effective damage such as Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Jynx. Its rather weak defenses and defensive typing on top of Hypnosis's shaky accuracy force Gengar to have slight competition with Exeggutor and Jynx as a sleep inducer, but Gengar is much faster than both of them and not as vulnerable to Blizzard or Explosion.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Gengar can be used as a lead for its positive matchup against the relatively uncommon slower sleepers such as Jynx, Exeggutor, and Chansey, but it does have shaky matchups against faster Thunder Wave leads like Alakazam and Starmie, as it really dislikes being paralyzed in general. Gengar can also directly switch into and counter Wrap users such as Victreebel and Dragonite without Thunder Wave, making them much less annoying. Once a foe is asleep, Gengar can either switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip the foe down with Night Shade. Gengar should try to stay healthy throughout the match so it can take on Normal-types much more easily. If Gengar's health is low, it can be a good idea to use Explosion, as this move does considerable damage to anything that doesn't resist it and has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Explosion can also severely dent a threat that Gengar's team may struggle with, making it much easier to deal with. Gengar can also function as a solo sweeper, as Thunderbolt has decent neutral coverage and can break certain sleep absorbers such as Starmie. Gengar's Hypnosis will bait paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey in, so using Explosion is a good way to get rid of them. This way, another sleeper in the back won't have to worry about a paralyzed foe blocking their sleep-inducing moves.

Gengar can fit on a myriad of teams thanks to its unique attributes, but that doesn't mean that it can sweep entire teams without support. Running an extra sleep inducer such as Exeggutor or Jynx is unorthodox, but it can be beneficial. Exeggutor can also help stomach incoming Earthquake, and both of them can take Psychic aimed at Gengar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Drain can be used to 2HKO Rhydon and Golem after Gengar puts them to sleep. Keep in mind that this only works if Gengar lands a Hypnosis or on a predicted switch, as Earthquake from these two will OHKO Gengar, and Mega Drain has little utility outside of this role. Confuse Ray can make Gengar more annoying to deal with, especially against paralyzed foes like Alakazam. Counter seems like an odd choice, since Gengar is already immune to Normal-type attacks. However, if Gengar comes in after your opponent uses Explosion and if you can predict the opponent bringing something in that Gengar forces out, Counter will heavily dent something on the switch. Submission can also be used to deal more damage to Chansey, especially after it has been put to sleep. Seismic Toss is an alternative to Night Shade, as it has 8 more PP at the cost of leaving Gengar susceptible to Counter. Hyper Beam is a decent option to pressure a paralyzed Alakazam and Jynx, as Gengar can really only use Explosion successfully on these Pokemon. Psychic can be used to get special drops to reduce the Speed of paralyzed foes even further and allow paralyzed Pokemon of yours to outspeed them. It could also be decent against Rest variants of Snorlax trying to stall Gengar. In both instances, however, Thunderbolt usually does enough damage to these Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Chansey**: Chansey can force Gengar out because it usually carries Thunder Wave to paralyze it and take any attack from Gengar barring Explosion on a critical hit. A healthy Chansey does have to be cautious of Hypnosis, however.

**Snorlax**: Snorlax takes very little damage from Gengar's Thunderbolt, and Earthquake threatens to 2HKO in return.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [, ]]
Implemented.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Gengar appears to be a dangerous special sweeper thanks to its high Special Attack and Speed. However, Gengar's main role in OU is to directly switch into Normal-type attacks like Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Explosion,(RC) as well as hard wall Wrap users and Persian because of its rare Ghost typing. It is also the fastest sleep inducer in the game with Hypnosis and can hit everything in the metagame for neutral damage thanks to Night Shade. From there, it can either chip the foe with consistent damage or dent defensive switch-ins with Explosion. While all of these attributes are extremely appealing, keep in mind that Gengar has its fair share of shortcomings. For example, Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, so if it misses, it leaves Gengar open to attacks or being afflicted with status itself. Despite its great Ghost typing making it immune to Normal-type attacks, Gengar's secondary Poison typing leaves it weak to common coverage moves like Earthquake and Psychic, which most Pokemon in OU carry. Gengar also lacks a useful STAB move to nail Pokemon it should be able to hit for super effective damage such as Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Jynx. Its rather weak defenses and defensive typing on top of Hypnosis's shaky accuracy force Gengar to have slight competition with Exeggutor and Jynx as a sleep inducer, but Gengar is much faster than both of them and not as vulnerable to Blizzard or and Explosion.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Gengar can be used as a lead for its positive matchup against the relatively uncommon slower sleepers such as Jynx, Exeggutor, and Chansey, but it does have shaky matchups against faster Thunder Wave leads like Alakazam and Starmie, as it really dislikes being paralyzed in general. Gengar can also directly switch into and counter Wrap users such as Victreebel and Dragonite without Thunder Wave, making them much less annoying. Once a foe is asleep, Gengar can either switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip the foe down with Night Shade. Gengar should try to stay healthy throughout the match so it can take on Normal-types much more easily. If Gengar's health is low, it can be a good idea to use Explosion, as this move does considerable damage to anything that doesn't resist it and has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Explosion can also severely dent a threat that Gengar's team may struggle with, making it much easier to deal with. Gengar can also function as a solo sweeper, as Thunderbolt has decent neutral coverage and can break certain sleep absorbers such as Starmie. Gengar's Hypnosis will bait paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey in, so using Explosion is a good way to get rid of them. This way, another sleeper in the back won't have to worry about a paralyzed foe blocking their sleep-inducing moves move.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Drain can be used to 2HKO Rhydon and Golem after Gengar puts them to sleep. Keep in mind that this only works if Gengar lands a Hypnosis or on a predicted switch, as Earthquake from these two will OHKO Gengar, and Mega Drain has little utility outside of this role. Confuse Ray can make Gengar more annoying to deal with, especially against paralyzed foes like Alakazam. Counter seems like an odd choice, since Gengar is already immune to Normal-type attacks. However, if Gengar comes in after your opponent uses Explosion,(AC) and if you can predict the opponent bringing something in that Gengar forces out, Counter will heavily dent something on the switch. Submission can also be used to deal more damage to Chansey, especially after it has been put to sleep. Seismic Toss is an alternative to Night Shade, as it has 8 more PP at the cost of leaving Gengar susceptible to Counter. Hyper Beam is a decent option to pressure a paralyzed Alakazam and or Jynx, as Gengar can really only use Explosion successfully on these Pokemon. Psychic can be used to get special Special drops to reduce the Speed of paralyzed foes even further and allow paralyzed Pokemon of yours to outspeed them. It could also be decent against Rest variants of Snorlax trying to stall Gengar. In both instances, however, Thunderbolt usually does enough damage to these Pokemon. (how does the Special stat impact Speed at all...? is there a gen 1 mechanic I'm missing here?)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-type Pokemon**: Alakazam is one of the best ways to stop Gengar, as it is faster, can cripple it Gengar with Thunder Wave, and can use Psychic to always 2HKO Gengar. Alakazam does have to be cautious if Gengar uses Explosion, as it has a chance to OHKO it Alakazam. Exeggutor can thwart Gengar thanks to its own Sleep Powder, Psychic, and Mega Drain. Jynx can also be an issue:;(remove colon, add semicolon) Gengar does outspeed it, but Jynx can inflict heavy damage if Gengar misses Hypnosis, meaning it may need to use Explosion to do anything to Jynx.

**Chansey**: Chansey can force Gengar out because it usually carries Thunder Wave to paralyze it and can take any attack from Gengar barring Explosion on a critical hit. A healthy Chansey does have to be cautious of Hypnosis, however.

**Tauros**: Tauros Speed ties with Gengar and can 2HKO Gengar it with Earthquake. However, Tauros has no form of recovery and generally doesn't like switching into attacks.

[CREDITS]

gp 2/2 once done

JustoonSmitts

[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Gengar appears to be a dangerous special sweeper thanks to its high Special Attack and Speed. However, Gengar's main role is to directly switch into Normal-type attacks like Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and Explosion as well as hard wall Wrap users and Persian because of its rare Ghost typing. It is also the fastest sleep inducer in the game with Hypnosis and can hit everything in the metagame for neutral damage thanks to Night Shade. From there, it can chip the foe with consistent damage or dent defensive switch-ins with Explosion. While all of these attributes are extremely appealing, keep in mind that Gengar has its fair share of shortcomings. For example, Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, so if it misses, it leaves Gengar open to attacks or being afflicted with status itself. Despite its great Ghost typing making it immune to Normal-type attacks, Gengar's secondary Poison typing leaves it weak to common coverage moves like Earthquake and Psychic, which most Pokemon in OU carry. Gengar also lacks a useful STAB move to nail Pokemon it should be able to hit for super effective damage such as Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Jynx. Its rather weak defenses and defensive typing on top of Hypnosis's shaky accuracy force Gengar to have slight competition with Exeggutor and Jynx as a sleep inducer, but Gengar is much faster than both of them and not as vulnerable to Blizzard and Explosion.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Hypnosis is Gengar's status move of choice, as it can cripple foes with sleep. Night Shade hits every single Pokemon in the metagame for 100 damage, providing important chip damage on Pokemon like Exeggutor, Rhydon, and Chansey. Thunderbolt is used mainly to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Slowbro, and Lapras for a decent amount of damage while doing the most damage to Snorlax and Tauros outside of Explosion. Explosion should primarily be used against Pokemon that Gengar can have issues beating, such as Alakazam and Chansey. It also can dent Exeggutor, Snorlax, and Tauros.

Gengar can be used as a lead for its positive matchup against the relatively uncommon slower sleepers such as Jynx, Exeggutor, and Chansey, but it does have shaky matchups against faster Thunder Wave leads like Alakazam and Starmie, as it really dislikes being paralyzed. Gengar can also directly switch into and counter Wrap users such as Victreebel and Dragonite without Thunder Wave, making them much less annoying. Once a foe is asleep, Gengar can switch out to a teammate that can better handle the sleeping threat, or it can proceed to chip the foe down with Night Shade. Gengar should try to stay healthy throughout the match so it can take on Normal-types much more easily. If Gengar's health is low, it can be a good idea to use Explosion, as this move does considerable damage to anything that doesn't resist it and has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Explosion can also severely dent a threat that Gengar's team may struggle with, making it much easier to deal with. Gengar can also function as a solo sweeper, as Thunderbolt has decent neutral coverage and can break certain sleep absorbers such as Starmie. Gengar's Hypnosis will bait paralyzed Alakazam and Chansey in, so using Explosion is a good way to get rid of them. This way, another sleeper in the back won't have to worry about a paralyzed foe blocking their sleep-inducing move.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Drain can be used to 2HKO Rhydon and Golem after Gengar puts them to sleep. Keep in mind that this only works if Gengar lands a Hypnosis or on a predicted switch, as Earthquake from these two will OHKO Gengar, and Mega Drain has little utility outside of this role. Confuse Ray can make Gengar more annoying to deal with, especially against paralyzed foes like Alakazam. Counter seems like an odd choice, since Gengar is already immune to Normal-type attacks. However, if Gengar comes in after your opponent uses Explosion, and if you can predict the opponent bringing something in that Gengar forces out, Counter will heavily dent something on the switch. Submission can be used to deal more damage to Chansey, especially after it has been put to sleep. Seismic Toss is an alternative to Night Shade, as it has 8 more PP at the cost of leaving Gengar susceptible to Counter. Hyper Beam is a decent option to pressure a paralyzed Alakazam or Jynx, as Gengar can really only use Explosion successfully on these Pokemon. Psychic can be used to get Special drops to reduce the Speed of paralyzed foes even further and allow paralyzed Pokemon of yours to outspeed them. It could also be decent against Rest variants of Snorlax trying to stall Gengar. In both instances, however, Thunderbolt usually does enough damage to these Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-type Pokemon**: Alakazam is one of the best ways to stop Gengar, as it is faster, can cripple Gengar with Thunder Wave, and can use Psychic to always 2HKO Gengar. Alakazam does have to be cautious if Gengar uses Explosion, as it has a chance to OHKO Alakazam. Exeggutor can thwart Gengar thanks to its own Sleep Powder, Psychic, and Mega Drain. Jynx can also be an issue; Gengar does outspeed it, but Jynx can inflict heavy damage if Gengar misses Hypnosis, meaning it may need to use Explosion to do anything to Jynx.

**Tauros**: Tauros Speed ties with Gengar and can 2HKO it with Earthquake. However, Tauros has no form of recovery and generally doesn't like switching into attacks.

[CREDITS]

gp 2/2 once done
Thank you, everyone. Ready to upload.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)