Gen 1 Gengar traps the Victree!

For my teams, I enjoy using a random generator to generate a starting core of 2 pokemon where I would then attempt to build a team using that starting core and try to make the team viable enough to be used competitively. For this team, I had received Gengar and Victreebel.

:rb/Gengar:
Gengar
Ability: none
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Hypnosis
- Thunderbolt
- Confuse Ray
- Night Shade

Gengar was a great pokemon to receive from the generator as it is a decent pokemon to have in Gen1 OU, mainly due to the fact it is a fast sleeper for the team. This could help get my Victreebel or Cloyster on the field to start their trapping attempt. Hypnosis is a staple move for Gengar and is decent as with Gengar's speed tier, it can outspeed and attempt to put most of the tier to sleep. Thunderbolt is there to hit the tier's water types fairly hard, with Starmie being one of the main issues for Gengar due to the fact it can outspeed my Gengar and hit a Thunder Wave. Confuse Ray is more of just a filler move for me but is helpful to have as it has the chance to stop attacks and help me either switch into a wrap/clamp user which is one of the main reasons for me using it as it should force a switch, and if predicted correctly, I should be able to gain momentum or start chipping away with my Wrap/Clamp shenanigans. Night Shade is a decent move in my opinion as not only is it fixed damage but it can also hit normal type pokemon in this generation which can help further wear down threats for the rest of my team.

:rb/Victreebel:
Victreebel
Ability
: none
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Stun Spore
- Hyper Beam
- Razor Leaf
- Wrap

Victreebel is another decent pokemon in the tier, mainly down to its wrap strategies which is what I have built this team around mainly. I have chosen Stun Spore over Sleep Powder here as I feel having the opponent paralysed as apposed to temporarily sleeping would be a better strategy for the team and would help me with my trapping strategies. Hyper Beam is a move I chose to help finish off weakened pokemon. Razor Leaf is a staple move for Victreebel I believe and helps with any water types as well as Rhydon. Wrap is the main move for this strategy as it chips away at the opponents health and as long as none of the attacks miss, I should be able to eventually finish them off with a hyper beam or razor leaf.

:rb/Chansey:
Chansey
Serious Nature
- Ice Beam
- Counter
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Chansey is a staple on most if not all Gen1 OU teams in my opinion due to its special bulk. Ice Beam is there for coverage mainly and for attempting to freeze other Chansey or any pokemon that want to switch in such as Snorlax. Counter is more of a surprise move to catch any Snorlax or Tauros and OHKO after a body slam. Thunder Wave is a staple for this team as it allows me to paralyse opposing pokemon and that would then make way for me to switch in my Victreebel or Cloyster to attempt to start my Wrap/Clamp strategy. Soft-Boiled is a staple move and allows for Chansey to heal off any damage.

:rb/Cloyster:
Cloyster
Ability
Serious Nature
- Blizzard
- Clamp
- Hyper Beam
- Rest

I had chosen Cloyster because it works as a decent physical wall against opposing tauros and Snorlax. Blizzard is there as its main STAB move and can be used for a chance of freeze also. Clamp is a staple for this team as it can stop the opponent in their track along with Victreebel's wrap. Hyper Beam was chosen to finish off weakened pokemon. Rest is a filler move I chose to increase its longetivity against opposing snorlax and tauros.

:rb/Rhydon:
Rhydon
Ability
Serious Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Rhydon was chosen due to the fact this team has a pretty big weakness to Zapdos and Rhydon is able to wall Zapdos almost completely. Body Slam is my choice for hitting pokemon which want to switch in on Rhydon such as Exeggutor with the chance to paralyse. Earthquake is there as its main STAB move and hits a lot of pokemon for decent damage. Rock Slide was chosen as an option to hit flying type pokemon such as Zapdos and to also hit ice types on the switch such as lapras and cloyster who may come in to take an Earthquake. Substitute is there as a filler move and can be helpful if I can correctly predicy my opponents moves, I could be behind a sub and hit for more damage than i could have before potentially.

:rb/Tauros:
Tauros
Serious Nature
- Body Slam
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake

Tauros is the main staple in nearly all Gen1 OU teams and hits hard on most pokemon, especially with its heightened chance to crit. Body Slam is the main move to use for Tauros and has a chance to paralyse the opponent which is always helpful. Blizzard is there for coverage against mainly Exeggutor and Rhydon. Hyper Beam is a decent move for Tauros as not only does it have a decent chance to crit but also hits hard regardless due to Tauros' attack stat and with the move being STAB. Earthquake is another coverage move mainly to hit Gengar for super effective damage.

I wasn't sure how else to describe the team but I appreciate any and all feedback that can be given! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)