Genies in the Rain

Genies in the Rain

Overview: Nothing really special here. Just a normal rain team that my B101 tutor, Zeph, helped ms make. As the name suggests, it uses Politoad to set up rain and has a offensive core of the genies, Tornadus and Thunderus. It also contains Ferrothorn and Jellicent as defensive buffers and supporters. Enjoy!

The Team:

Politoad (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast

Politoad is here for obvious reasons: creating infinite rain. It also functions as an offensive lead, as rain boosted, stab Hydro Pump used with Choice Specs and a Modest nature can put a dint in just anoint anything, even if its not very effective. Focus Blast is there to 1 hit or 2HKO Ferrothorn (depending on SDef investment), and HP Grass deals with other waters.*

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tornadus is half of the offensive core. Unlike Thundorus, it requires no setup, and therefor can be used to quickly kill anything that is giving the team trouble. With 100% accuracy Hurricane, along with Focus Blast and HP Ice, it can easy KO at least one Pokemon. Unfortunately, it generally doesn't last long, as the Life Orb damage along with a weakness to Stealth Rock add up quickly. Tornadus also serves as a back up rain created, assuming Politoad goes down.*

Thundorus (M) @ Leftovers
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Thundorus is the other half of the offensive core. After a Nasty Plot boosts, it becomes almost unstoppable, abusing 100% accuracy Thunder beautifully. It has Leftovers instead of Life Orb since I want him to last and not kill himself.*

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is a perfect wall in the rain, as it severly weakens his nemesis, fire types. It serves as a Spiker as well as a supporter with Thunder Wave. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are nothing to joke about either coming off a 125 Attack stat.*

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Scald
- Hex

Jellicent is here to wall the Special side of the spectrum, as well as cover Ferrothorn's weakness. It has Will-o-Wisp to shut down Physical threats without switching. Scald has a nice 30% chance of burn, which is nice when I don't have to time to WoW them. Hex gives me another offensive option to deal so decent damage if the foe is Burned. I'm considering replacing him with a bully Starmie, so please give me comments about that.*

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall

Azumarill rounds off the team, providing a go to for dealing with special walls like Chansey and Reuniclus. She also provides powerful priority through her boosted Aqua Jet. Sometimes, she'll even become a late game sweeper, picking off the remains of the opposing team with Aqua Jet. *

Data for importing on PO: (Just take out the *'s. There's nothing I can do about them.)
Politoed (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast
Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Scald
- Hex

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall

Constructive comments and criticism is aprreciated!

Electric atacks will chew your team up quite hard.... Rotom-W and Zapdos especialy.

Gastrodon and Quagsire can also wall most of your team like there is no tomorrow.

I played against your team with my sun team, was a good battle from memory.

Perhaps you could use Starmie as a replacement for one of your genies. It has multiple benefits such as being faster, boosted Hydro Pump along with boltbeam coverage, natural cure/recover, doesn't share a weakness to stealth rock.

Starmie @ Life Orb
natural cure
Timid
4 HP - 252 SpA - 252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Thunder
-Ice Beam
-Recover

You could change the set to a more defensive one too, with Leftovers Surf/Thunder/Recover/Rapid spin

Yea, but Electric types outside Rotom-w, Thundurus, and Zapdos are rare. Thunderous and Zapdos can be destroyed by HP Ice, and Rotom can be defeated by Ferrothorn's Power Whip. As for Quagsire and Gastrodon, they too can be taken care of by Ferrothorn or even Politoad's HP Grass.

Yes, but the genies are more powerful. (125 base SAtk instead of 110) And besides, the only reason I would use Starmie would be as a Rapid Spiner/ Status absorber to replace Jellicent. Good idea, though.

Hi, it's a powerful looking team but I'd like to know a bit more about your team strategy, specifically how do you deal with opposing Ferrothorn, Bronzong and Jirachi?

Hi, this seems like a pretty solid team, but I do have a few small suggestions I'd like to makie. The first change it to switch Leftovers for Lum Berry on Thundurus. You needn't worry about cancelling out Sandstorm with Politoed around, and Lum Berry offers a couple of distinct advantages. The most common to counter to Thundurus, Blissey and Jirachi, both rely on status to really beat it, so with a Lum Berry you are able to power through them without hinderance. If you see that the opponent doesn't have something you need Lum for, you can create extra setup oppurtinities, for example Nasty Plotting on Ferrothorns Twave. I would also replace Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball with Leech Seed. It doesn't really hit anything super notable, and with Thunder wave on the same set, you're just weakening it. Leech Seed gives Ferrothorn some much needed recovery and allows it to weaken and/or troll Pokemon like Blissey, while simultaneously healing up.
J8st some stuff to think about.

Krasnopesky: I know, but I've already got plenty of water type attacks. And besides, that's if its unboosted, which both genies are.

No Luck: Um strategy? The strategy is to sweep with the geneis. I handle Ferro with Focus Blast from the genies and Politoad. Jirachi is one of my worst enemies, and generlly I just have to hit it and hope it dies, but I'm going to try Lum Berry on Thundurus. I've never fought Bronzong before, but if I did, I'd probably just hit it as hard as I can.

Flygon: Those are all great ideas. I'll try them.

Hi I watched you use this team for a bit and was able to find a couple things I think you could improve on. I don't see the use for all that speed on Politoed. You're not outrunning much even with the speed and shifting those speed EVs to HP will keep Politoed around longer, which is huge in a metagame dominated by weather. Running about 24 Spe allows you to outrun most of the Pokemon that hang around the 176 area, and that's all you really need. I second the Lum Berry Thundurus suggestion as it powers through Jirachi which is generally enough to sweep, and if not Tornadus also has a much easier time with Jirachi out of the way.

You have 4 electric weaks and only 1 resist which is a little worrying considering how much damage Rotom-w can do to you. I'd run some more special defense on Ferrothorn just for that since without a decent amount of investment, Rotom-w can do a little too much with Hydro Pump in the rain. I'd just run the standard 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef with an Impish nature. Also, try Stealth Rock > Gyro Ball. The extra 12% on everything, not just grounded Pokemon, will be very nice, and Gyro Ball + Thunder Wave doesn't work out too well most of the time anyway. gl

Thanks Fried Ryes. I'll try the lower speed on toad, and as for Ferro's SDef and Thundurus's Lum Berry, I already beat you to it. ; P I'm debating if I should run Leech Seed or Stealth Rock in Ferro's final slot.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While a very under-utilised Pokemon, offensive Raikou with HP Fighting will murder your team if Ferrothorn has fallen under 60% or so.

CM Virizion does a reaonable job at checking Raikou, while so does Latias, although Shadow Ball hurt a truck-ton.

i suggest you put volt switch on thundurus for scouting purpouses, i have a similar team, and since thundurus attracks ninetales and tyranitar you can volt switch to Dugtrio, works wonders for me.

I would like to suggest a pokemon that does well against electric attacks like, oh..., say... Gliscor! It can function well as both a wall and a good attacker that can set up SR if you want. Otherwise, nice team and hope you rack up the winds with that!

shrang: Raikou could be a threat, but I have NEVER encountered one. Putting in a Pokemon that doesn't support the strategy just to counter one extremely rare threat seems like a waste of a slot to me...

Soockah: I would love to do that, but Thundurus would rather have it's sudo bolt-beam with focus blast, as FB deals with TTar, and my 3 water types can handle Ninetales. Thundurus would also loose his valuable Nasty Plot boost.

Axmaster: One word: Ferrothorn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)