SV OU Gholdengo Hazard Stack, Boots Spam Stall (UPDATED)

This team is an update from my past team which takes into consideration the recent bans in SV OU and the following development of the metagame, being currently the only Stall Sample Team in SV OU.

This post is divided into General Team Description, Individual Roles of Team members, as well an enumeration of team weaknesses.

GENERAL TEAM DESCRIPTION:
Untitled 2 (pokepast.es)
1670363902123.png

The core idea of this team is to always win the hazard war by enforcing hazards to stay up through Gholdengho´s ability and ghost typing, while being immune to oppositing hazards due to Heavy-Duty Boots Spam, in a generation where very few pokemon get knock off to remove them.
Gholdengo´s ghost typing makes it immune to Rapid Spin, while the "Good as Gold" ability blocks oppositing defog, it´s steel typing also walls the new "Mortal Spin", meaning that the only way you can remove hazards in front of Gholdengo is by using Mold Breaker Defog Hawlucha or through the use of "Tidy Up", which is only learned by Maushold, with neither being a consistent method.

In order to remove hazards from the field, the opponent would need a rapid spinner that can threaten gholdengo in some manner, (Cyclizar´s knock off, Great Tusk´s Earthquake). All off the pokemon capable of doing so can get worn down by hazards, status, or being damaged on a switch, meaning that long term the team can win the hazard war.

A key aspect to note, is that Corviknight is the knock off absorber in the team, and that there are a few Pokemon that learn knock and are capable of threathening it, like mixed Iron Valiant or Choice Band Great Tusk, which can be problematic when these pokemon are paired with hazard setters + gholdengo or hazard setters who threaten Corviknight.

The hazards available to this team are blissey´s Stealth Rocks and Clodsire´s Spikes, which can be set up against any pokemon that doesn´t represnt a threat to them. It is important to note that there are very few Spikes Immune Pokemon added in this generation, as there are no dominant flying types/levitate users/ Magic Guard Pokemon in OU.

With hazards up, oppositing offensive pokemon, either carry Heavy-Duty Boots, meaning they can´t carry Energy Boosters, Choice bands, Life Orbs etc; or take hazards damage on every switch, making defensive counterplay effective, as the opponent has less possibilities to double switch and pokemon will be at lower HP to begin with.

INDIVIDUAL ROLES OF TEAM MEMBERS:

Now that the core idea of the team has been explained in detail, I will explain the roles of each member of the team, as well as how to choose your tera based on Match-up accordingly.

Starting with arguably the best defensive pokemon introduced this generation:
1670366347896.png

Clodsire is a physical Unaware Wall, that unlike Dondozo or Skelidirge, keeps enough Special Bulk in order to deal with Special set up sweepers like Nasty Plot Gholdengo, Calm Mind Iron Valiant and even Nasty Plot Chi-yu in some scenarios. On the Physical Side, Clodsire walls Kingambit in the early game or after it gets burnt by Talonflame, Physical versions of Iron Valiant, some Iron Hands and Pawmot sets, SD Lokix and Scizor, among others. What truly is impressive about Clodsire is the new amount of pokemon you can wall by using Tera Water; suddenly, you are a counter to SD Chien-pao(excluding Tera dark or electric), Quaquaval and Ceruledge while also dealing better with Baxcalibur, Iron Moth, Gholdengo and Chi-Yu, even allowing you to get a safe toxic against +1 boosted Espathra.
You need to be carefull with your recover PP, as this pokemon can switch into many different threats, and you should use it to deal with only the threats the rest of your team can´t cover.

1670365699610.png

Gholdengo´s ability does not only block defog, it´s usefullness might even be superior to Mega-Sableye´s Magic Bounce in past generations.
Good as Gold makes this pokemon immune to spore, which combined with its defensive typing, makes this pokemon a hard counter to Breloom.
It can also deal with Espathra if you nasty plot on a predicted protect, although if it calm minds as you nasty Plot, it will calm mind again and Tera, forcing some mind games.
Gholdengo is the team´s win condition, carrying both recover and nasty plot in order to set up and break bulkier teams or revenge kill some pokemon against offensive teams. Tera flying allows you to stay in on non poison jab Unaware Clodsire and spam shadow ball, with the same apllying to Ting-lu in situations where you don´t need Gholdengo´s HP, as ruination will bring you down to low health but will never be able to defeat Gholdengo. It also allows you to beat Annihilape in some scenarios, although you should only spend your Tera there in case it gets out of control. It can also be a good idea to spend the Tera against Chien-Pao if you are at high health as they will rarely click an ice move against you.

1670365794787.png

Blissey is obviously the main special wall of the team, pay attention to the fact that it now runs max Spd, in order to reliably wall Choice Specs Tera Fire Chi-yu and dealing better with nasty plot variants, making it weak to physical attacks and forcing Blissey to stick to it´s main role. (You can change it to Physically Defensive at your own will, naturally.)
This Pokemon walls Iron Moth, non Psyshock Gholdengo, Choice Specs Dragapult, Volcarona, Skelidirge, among others. In case Nasty Plot Gholdengo or Skelidirge´s Torch Song get out of control, you can use Clodsire to deal with these. Tera fairy allows it to beat the mixed Dragapult Set, while making you safer against Chi-yu´s Dark Pulse.
1670366399537.png

Alomomola is the only Regenerator Pokemon on the team, it can force progress through the use of whirlpool although water absorb clodsire will wall it.
It generally switches into u-turns to neutralize the damage with regenerator but it can deal with a variety of Dragon Dance, Bulk up or Curse users through the use of Chilling Water(not Annihilape), as well as passing wishes to teammates which come of a big 160 base hp stat, resulting in the regeneration of 267 Health Points.
It is also the main switch into Choice Band Roaring Moon or Chien-Pao.
Tera Ghost can be used for spin-blocking against Great Tusk or for a neutrality to electric and grass, which is usefull against Pawmot and Iron Hands.

1670366912584.png

Corviknight is the only member of the team which does not carry Heavy-Duty Boots, due to its spikes and toxic spikes immunity. This also makes it the team´s knock off absorber, although some knock users may threathen it, like Choice Band Great Tusk. Rocky helmet is usefull to punish uturn, and other attacks, especially Maushold´s Population Bomb. This pokemon walls Meowscarada, although taunt can be annoying. It is also the main Cyclizar switch-in on the team, since it can absorb knock-off, u-turn out on Espathra behind Substitute, breaking sub, or uturn into Annihilape behind sub into Talonflame for propper counterplay, with the rest of substitute users losing to corviknight 1v1 or being walled by a different member of the team regardless. Defog is generally useless, although it can be helpfull in scenarios where your opponent does not have Gholdengo and has knocked off your pokemon´s boots. Tera Dark can be used in an emergency against Kingambit, Chien Pao or Roaring Moon.

1670367379134.png

Talonflame is the new member of the team, initially replacing Avalugg due to the lack of consistent Annihilape answers on the team, however, Talonflame´s qualities go much beyond excepted. First of all, a lucky flame body trigger can clutch otherwise apparently lost endgames, sometimes, when Talonflame does not appear to be usefull in a certain match-up, it can be sacrificed to trigger a flame body activation, if Talonflame is 2hkod by a contact move, flame body has a 51% chance to trigger.
Talonflame can wall annihilape, although they sometimes taunt you on the switch and spam taunt whenever you want to bring it in, forcing you to go to Gholdengo to break the cycle, as it is too risky to attack Annihilape. After it gets burnt just switch between clodsire and alomomola forever withouth attacking it. Talonflame is also a very reliable counter to Kingambit and ends up burning Ting-Lu in many games, meaning Clodsire and Blissey will be able to get hazards up more freely against it.
Tera Normal can be used for addition safety against Annihilape, while surprising scarf Gholdengo. It also makes Talonflame Stealth Rock neutral in case it gets knocked off.

Finally, I wanted to list a bunch of problematic pokemon and sets for this team, pay attention to the Tera types of each set to understand why they are problematic:
1670368350510.png

1670368363167.png

1670368378263.png

(Annihilape baits Talonflame´s Will-o-Wisp into Espathra, making it immune to Clodsire´s Toxic later.)

Thank you for your attention!

Attachments

Hello there, i hope you are having a good day, Your team core is quite defensive , It's not a bad team but Anhhiliape is very strong against it, i suggest you bait it into trying to sweep, initially by using toxic on clodsire so it can use resto chesto, after that get a flame body drop on talon, then you shall not attack, bait it to rest (no chesto berry he used it) then go and nasty plot once with gholdengo (in the turn he uses rest you need to predict it and not attack it once in this whole set up) and spam shadow balls if clodsire and talon DED, well just make it rest without the chesto berry.
Flaws i found on your team:
1- if an important pokemon like your win condition dies, winning will be hard after that, specially hyper offense teams with anhiliape and espartha like you said, i suggest replacing that blissey with tera psychic psychic fangs chien-poa with swords dance to beat tera fighting air ballon gholdengo and same thing for espartha and hatty, tho hatty can be dealt with, with the right predicts ofc.
i think thats the only thing i found, i couldn't fine anything else either it's because i did not notice it And because i don't play stall, never played it so i don't have an idea of what a stall team should be, just replied to this so maybe i can help a little, hope a person that has experience ciles to help you

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello there, i hope you are having a good day, Your team core is quite defensive , It's not a bad team but Anhhiliape is very strong against it, i suggest you bait it into trying to sweep, initially by using toxic on clodsire so it can use resto chesto, after that get a flame body drop on talon, then you shall not attack, bait it to rest (no chesto berry he used it) then go and nasty plot once with gholdengo (in the turn he uses rest you need to predict it and not attack it once in this whole set up) and spam shadow balls if clodsire and talon DED, well just make it rest without the chesto berry.
1- if an important pokemon like your win condition dies, winning will be hard after that, specially hyper offense teams with anhiliape and espartha like you said, i suggest replacing that blissey with tera psychic psychic fangs chien-poa with swords dance to beat tera fighting air ballon gholdengo and same thing for espartha and hatty, tho hatty can be dealt with, with the right predicts ofc.
i think thats the only thing i found, i couldn't fine anything else either it's because i did not notice it And because i don't play stall, never played it so i don't have an idea of what a stall team should be, just replied to this so maybe i can help a little, hope a person that has experience ciles to help you
Bulk Up + Taunt Annihilape basically beats this team alone anyways. Air Slash isn't OKHOing and Will-O-Wisp will only do so much when it racks up boosts and Rage Fist bonuses.

Bulk Up + Taunt Annihilape basically beats this team alone anyways. Air Slash isn't OKHOing and Will-O-Wisp will only do so much when it racks up boosts and Rage Fist bonuses.
Actually I added Talonflame just for that, it used to beat my precious team
I don't think it ever did, I just meant that you can rack up Bulk Up boosts and slam Talonflame with a Rage Fist when it uses Air Slash.
Well, it used to boost it before it was fixed on PS, the key to beating annihilape is to not hit it. Burn it and switch between clodsire and alomomola withouth hitting it. If its rest just toxic it with clodsire and you should be fine.

Giyu

Tomioka
Actually I added Talonflame just for that, it used to beat my precious team

Well, it used to boost it before it was fixed on PS, the key to beating annihilape is to not hit it. Burn it and switch between clodsire and alomomola withouth hitting it. If its rest just toxic it with clodsire and you should be fine.
You kind of need to hit it since Leftovers negate the burn tick.

You can't pp stall if you can't use recovery.
Alomomola has regenerator and clodsire takes 7% from rage fist if its burnt and even less from drain punch, you can even outplay it by going clodsire on taunt, meaning it does not get hit on the switch. If they start predicting that and attacking you on the switch you can just wish into clodsire as they arent taunting, cancelling all progress of your opponent.

Giyu

Tomioka
Alomomola has regenerator and clodsire takes 7% from rage fist if its burnt and even less from drain punch, you can even outplay it by going clodsire on taunt, meaning it does not get hit on the switch. If they start predicting that and attacking you on the switch you can just wish into clodsire as they arent taunting, cancelling all progress of your opponent.
Annihilape could also switch out and come in, perpetually building Rage Fist without being burned, thus beating Clodsire.

Annihilape could also switch out and come in, perpetually building Rage Fist without being burned, thus beating Clodsire.
Yes that is the most annoying part about it, however many moves on the team either can not hit Annihilape, like Blissey's seismic toss or corviknights body press. Or hit it too hard for it to want to switch in, like Gholdengo's stabs or Talonflame's Air Slash. Even if you end up hitting it with Blissey's shadow ball or An attack from alomomola, it wont be able to pull that trick off many times if you keep hazards up.

Thank you but dont worry, rest isnt problematic at all, taunt is the bigger issue.

Nice to see an updated version of the team! How do you feel about other stall teams without Gholdengo, such as a double unaware stall with combination of dondozo/clod/dirge? Also how do you feel about ditto or grifaifai, or even dondozo to deal with Annihilape? Although I’m not sure if ditto copies rage fist boosts

Last edited:
Nice to see an updated version of the team! How do you feel about other stall teams without Gholdengo, such as a double unaware stall with combination of dondozo/clod/dirge? Also how do you feel about ditto or grifaifai, or even dondozo to deal with Annihilape? Although I’m not sure if ditto copies rage fist boosts
Grafaiai loses to drain punch, I havent tested ditto yet tho. Stall withouth Gholdengo can work as long as you have a spinner or hatterene, but I don't see it too often.

Nice to see an updated version
Grafaiai loses to drain punch, I havent tested ditto yet tho. Stall withouth Gholdengo can work as long as you have a spinner or hatterene, but I don't see it too often.
of the team! How do you feel about other stall teams without Gholdengo, such as a double unaware stall with combination of dondozo/clod/dirge?
Grafaifai can just use switcheroo and parting shot, it can nullify the attack boosts of anihilape, and it can live a drain punch. Also, what spinners would you reccomend? I don’t think any of them are great for stall, aside from avalugg . I have experimented with hatterene and it’s definitely good, though.

Grafaifai can just use switcheroo and parting shot, it can nullify the attack boosts of anihilape, and it can live a drain punch. Also, what spinners would you reccomend? I don’t think any of them are great for stall, aside from avalugg I have experimented with hatterene and it’s definitely good, though.
Very few spinners get reliable recovery so you have to run them with wish passers. I would recommend the spinners that threathen ghost types the most such as great tusk or iron threads.

Giyu

Tomioka
Grafaifai can just use switcheroo and parting shot, it can nullify the attack boosts of anihilape, and it can live a drain punch. Also, what spinners would you reccomend? I don’t think any of them are great for stall, aside from avalugg . I have experimented with hatterene and it’s definitely good, though.
Annihilape has Defiant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)