Gifts of the Gods

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just chiming in on Crobat.
In the suspect meta, the meta llama was referring to when discussing Crobat, it was certainly worthy of the A- ranking. It fit into both the SpDef and Atk slots and made for an awesome Serp check (just has to worry about Glare). With Talonflame assuming the role of Serp check on so many teams now, I think Crobat should drop into the B-/C range. There isn't really a reason to use it over Talonflame unless you are worried about exacerbating a hazard weakness on your team and really want Defog in that team slot.

Blazenix

浮気は犯罪行為
is an Artistis a Community Contributor
So I have been playing this meta for a while and found it somewhat similar to mix and mega as it involves stat changes turning bad pokemon into noteworthy threats. After playing this for about 2 weeks i decided to create a some fun rain team using differernt variety of gods. The first one I wanted to try was Hoopa-Unbound, while it may not be the best good all around, its still a very potent candidate, giving solid 160/170 offenses, decent 80 hp ( which can work for some pokemon with respectable bulk but have lower hp, in this case scizor ) and somewhat usable 80 speed for a swift swim user ) and an above average 130 special defense as well as the god itself, which is a very strong wallbreaker in the metagame.

Subaru (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn/Bug Bite

Washing Powder (Azumarill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 Def
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Power-Up Punch
- Aqua Jet

Hades (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

PPAP (Seismitoad) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

OR

Kisame (Kingdra) @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Gamariki (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest
- Encore

Fastah! (Kabutops) @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

The first thing comes first, the god of the team, being hoopa-unbound. While it was OU, my favorite set was always the life orb mixed set which is pretty self-explanatory with hyperspace Fury for STAB hitting most pokemon that dont resist it super hard and hyperspace hole hitting more physically defensive pokemon such as tangrowth for good damage, gunk shot hits most fairies that resist its dark STAB and are capable of taking a hyperspace hole like clefable hard and lastly drain punch to hit dark type for decent damage.

Then comes politoad for setting rain, which is obviously the most crucial part of the team, the ev's are pretty standard for what it does, as it already has 130 spdef its not exactly wise to invest in that but rather physical defense allowing it to take some strong hits like Deoxys-A CB talonflame's brave bird most of the time and KO it back with scald. Scald is always the move of choice as it allows politoad to burn its checks and take advantage of them. Toxic to cripple bulky walls like alomomola, tangrowth and vaporeon which completely walls politoad as well as setup sweepers like unaware clefable. Rest is for longevity as its politoad's only recovery option and can be used in conjunction with toxic to break down some walls. Lastly Encore allows Politoed to pressure bulkier foes reliant on status moves as well as common hazard setters such as shuckle from getting more than one layer of hazards.

OR

My choice or rain sweeper was a debate between Kingdra and seimitoad as seismitoad has better stab coverage but kingdra is an absolute nuke, so I decided to try out both of them and they work pretty well, the given ev spread is pretty standard, modest nature for hitting has hard as possible and enough speed on seismitoad to outspeed standard rock polish Pdon before it RP's up, hydro pump and earth power are STAB moves allowing it to hit insanely hard under rain and KO all pdon variants with earth power, sludge wave hits grass types and fairy types like azumarill for a straight KO knock off helps against against bulkier teams to remove their item while also hitting the uncommon shedinja. The 250 speed allows kindgdra to outspeed adamant smeargle and KO it with any of its moves and the rest is put into HP for a better job at surviving hits, draco meteor is the most spammable move most of the time has it hits hard enough to KO most primal groudons and hitting bulky water types for massive damage. Hydro pump and scald are stabs, scald having better accuracy in a situation where power isnt needed and also has a chance to burn its checks like azumarill and lastly ice beam hitting grass types like serperior without having the need to drop a draco.

For my speed slot I decided to put kabutops as its a the strongest physical swift swim user and has access to rapid spin and priority aqua jet for revenge killing threats like talonflame. The given ev's allow it to outspeed Standard RP Pdon and the rest is put in HP, although it has decent defense it lacks a good HP stat but the given HP investment allows it to avoid 2hko from non-sharp beak 180 base attack talonflame's brave bird and KO it back with stab moves.

With my attack slot i decided to go with azumarill as its one of the best serperior checks available in the metagame, serperior being a huge threat to the team has it Knocks out every pokemon fairly easily and outspeeds everything outside of rain, av allows it to avoid 2hko from most water type wallbreakers in rain which can threaten my entire team as well has having a better type checking serprior and kyurem white, power-up-punch allows it to boost on pokemon that cannot harm it much such as the aforementioned serprior and get a free choice band on it, play rough and waterfall are STAB moves hitting dragon fighting and dark types for heavy damage and aqua jet for priority hitting fairly hard in rain. the given ev spread spread allows it to avoid 1HKO from jolly 180 base attack sharp beak talonflame's brave bird and knock it out with brave bird and the rest is put into attack with adamant nature to still hit hard as you only lose out on 13 stat points which is a fair trade imo

252 180 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 48 Def Azumarill: 340-402 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With my HP slot I decided to use mega scizor as my team was very weak to the common espeed spam and mega scizor can easily take advantage of them as well as being a bit more bulkier with +10 base HP stat, it also switches into deoxys attack fairly easily as it avoids 2hko from all of the common moves it can run while being able to switch in to weaker boomburst swellows and set up on it while also taking advantage or rain to accumulate for its fire weakness.

Primal Groudon : This is the biggest threat to the team as it immediately stops the weather and can switch into half of my team with relative ease and if manages to set up a rock polish its almost always over.

Talonflame : although politoad, azumarill and kabutops are all capable of take a hit or two from it, its still a pain to deal with depending its set, SD can be a problem however nothing on the team bar scizor which can pivot out.

Primal Kyogre: So far it hasnt been too much of a problem as politoad almost always deals with it but it its still a nuisance to the team as it can either spread burns or heavily dent the team.

Priority users : As the team heavily relies on rain to outspeed and wallbreak, priority users can be a nuisance especially smeargle as it has technician fakespeed and can dent even scizor with v-create. However seismitoad can take silkscarf fakespeed as well as kabutops is able to live all priorities and KO it back with stab moves.

Swellow : Swellow is such a strong pokemon that it forces teams to run defensive rocks types like rhyperior to safely switch into it, even then most of them lack reliable recovery and dont like switching in repeatedly. Each time swellow comes in, it takes a pokemon out however it needs to be above 160 spatk to 2hko scizor with Boomburst but all variants can 2hko it with heat wave in rain or KO if not under rain.

Ditto : Ditto causes the player to think twice about sending out a pokemon under rain, if it copies the right target in the right situation it can be a problem, however its usually scarfed and doesnt hit as hard due to lack of boosting item

sin(pi) If you consider this eligible for sample, you can add it :]

I'll be posting more teams once I get enough time to test and tune them out.

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
I've updated the OP a little bit, reflecting on recent bans. Still working on VR but hopefully it'll be done soon.

In the meantime, I've asked urkerab to unban Eviolite on the rom server, so if you want to test it out, go ahead! It will be suspected on main soon, but not yet. Some ideas for sets to try:

Doublade @ Eviolite [SpDef/Speed/HP slot]
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD OR 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe OR 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Brave / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball / Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Gyro Ball obviously shouldn't be run with gifted Speed, and should have 0 Speed IVs. This is pretty much the standard UU set, slightly modified for this metagame. You can also run a much more defensive set which checks mons like Serperior reasonably well.

Gligar @ Eviolite [HP/SpDef slot]
Ability: Hyper Cutter / Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Defog / Stealth Rock
- U-turn / Stealth Rock / Knock Off

A more dedicated defensive mon, Gligar is really bulk in standard UU and this makes it much fatter, Defog requires Hyper Cutter unfortunately but if you don't need hazard removal then Immunity is far better.

Arceus (Porygon2) @ Eviolite [HP = 120]
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave / Toxic

Porygon2 is already an amazing defensive pokemon. Trace allows it to use the foe's ability against it, which can occasionally come in handy. Its already great natural bulk can be boosted even further with an HP, special defence or defence boost - which can be used in conjunction with Eviolite to create an amazing mixed wall. In Gift of the Gods P2 can boost its HP to 120 and with a bit of bulk it can take on the likes of Talonflame, Smeargle or Serperior, depending on what you need - this particular set avoids the 2HKO from Sharp Beak Brave Bird off 180 atk Talonflame after rocks.

Eviolite can be a weakness though, as without leftovers all of these can be worn down more easily with double switches and hazards. Eviolite can also be knocked off or tricked, crippling them.

thanks to Grains of Salt for helping me write up some of this

I would love to mention how good physical sylveon is in this meta. It has access to curse, quick attack, and a host of other good moves that enable it to surprise opponents. However, I'm at most only halfway up the ladder, so keep that in mind. However, I do have replays to show it's skillz:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/giftsofthegods-458571350
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/giftsofthegods-458613813
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/giftsofthegods-458615600
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/giftsofthegods-457229449
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/giftsofthegods-457236002

The suspect turned out nicely, I have got to say. I don't even mind that Mega Sableye's gone, considering it opened our minds to other possibilities.

VR ranking thoughts:
  • Amoonguss (HP, Defense, Special Defense) - B
    Maybe even a B+ for this. Regenerator cores are very potent in this meta, particularly with Slowbro and Alololamola both getting huge boosts to their bulk.
  • Hippowdon (Special Defense) - C/C+
    Countering pretty much any Electric type that wants to run speed and Attack Slot Pikachu (even in Deoxys-A teams) is worth more than a C rank. Probably belongs in a B-/B, as it can't take heavy Pyhsical attacks if it doesn't invest in it.
  • Mamoswine (Attack, Speed) - C-
    Maybe list Special Attack for the Freeze-Dry potential, but that's probably not too good.
  • Politoed (HP) - C-/C
    This should be higher. It enables Ludicolo, which is perhaps the most threatening Grass type out there when in rain. It also allows Kabutops, Armaldo, Mega Swampert, Kingdra and Seismitoed (?) to shine, and you can place a Palkia or a Deoxys-A god in there, depending on your tastes.
  • Raikou (Special Attack) - C+/B-
    Adding defense to Raikou is worth a mention, at least. Otherwise, I have no issues with this..
  • Suicune (HP, Defense, Special Attack, Speed) - B
    I feel that special attack should be shuffled to the front of suggestions, but that's just me, as I prefer Suicune to be less passive, rather than even bulkier. There's merit to both approaches. Otherwise, this is good.
  • Thundurus (Special Attack) - B-
    Definitely make a mention of Defense Thundurus. Becoming a Prankster Zapdos that's stronger and faster (abeit without recovery) is pretty sweet against offense.

I also have a few suggestions of my own for the VR, in no particular order.
  • Zygarde (Special Defense, Attack) - B+/A-
    Yes, it's that good. This is probably the most potent undiscovered threat of the meta that I used, and it sometimes wins games all on its own. It can Substitute up in front of most defensive mons, and then Coil until satisfied. It also has a faster Dragon Tail than most mons have Whirlwind, meaning it will be doing the phasing, instead of the other way around.
  • Doublade (Special Defense, HP, Speed) - B/B+
    I faced one of these on a Shuckle team. (yes, Shuckle can be a god. It's... interesting) It was NOT pleasant. Thankfully, that version will rarely pop up. But Doublade is still a terrific wall, as it can patch up its other defense now. I don't mind if you rank this lower, but do rank it somewhere. It's a threat.
  • Ninetales (Defense, Speed) - C-/C
    A mention of the primary Sun setter needs to be made too, considering when you use Groudon, you'll most likely want Primal Groudon. Not nearly as threatening as Rain teams, but can make some cool sweepers, too.

Last edited:

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
  • Hippowdon (Special Defense) - C/C+
    Countering pretty much any Electric type that wants to run speed and Attack Slot Pikachu (even in Deoxys-A teams) is worth more than a C rank. Probably belongs in a B-/B, as it can't take heavy Pyhsical attacks if it doesn't invest in it. (It should also be mentioned that this can run Soundproof and hard counter Swellow)
  • Suicune (HP, Defense, Special Attack, Speed) - B
    I feel that special attack should be shuffled to the front of suggestions, but that's just me, as I prefer Suicune to be less passive, rather than even bulkier. There's merit to both approaches. Otherwise, this is good.
Hippowdon does not get Soundproof. For all the Pokemon I listed, I just put the stats in order rather than ranking them, but I agree.

I also have a few suggestions of my own for the VR, in no particular order.
  • Zygarde (Special Defense, Attack) - B+/A-
    Yes, it's that good. This is probably the most potent undiscovered threat of the meta that I used, and it sometimes wins games all on its own. It can Substitute up in front of most defensive mons, and then Coil until satisfied. It also has a faster Dragon Tail than most mons have Whirlwind, meaning it will be doing the phasing, instead of the other way around.
  • Doublade (Special Defense, HP, Speed) - B/B+
    I faced one of these on a Shuckle team. (yes, Shuckle can be a god. It's... interesting) It was NOT pleasant. Thankfully, that version will rarely pop up. But Doublade is still a terrific wall, as it can patch up its other defense now. I don't mind if you rank this lower, but do rank it somewhere. It's a threat.
  • Ninetales (Defense, Speed) - C-/C
    A mention of the primary Sun setter needs to be made too, considering when you use Groudon, you'll most likely want Primal Groudon. Not nearly as threatening as Rain teams, but can make some cool sweepers, too.
Zygarde seems interesting. I've only seen it used once and I can see it as a threat, but those weaknesses to Fairy and Dragon are a real pain in this meta, plus if your opponent has an Ice Beam user, it's time to say bye bye. I could see it as B-

Doublade and other Eviolite users we should hold off on until we suspect test Eviolite and if it ends up being unbanned. I can see it having some use, but without Eviolite, it's a very sub-par option.

I'm not sure how effective Sun Teams would be in this meta, but sure, I can see it as C-

Whoops, I was mixing it up with Abomasnow, which does get Soundproof. My bad. Don't use that as your Swellow counter, obviously.

Zygarde... the weakness to Fairy is rough, particularly with Clefable, but a +1 Earthquake could be made to 2HKO it. (assuming it's Magic Guard) The Dragon weakness is far less of an issue because it will likely have Dragon Tail for phasing the opposing Dragons, damaging them heavily in the process. Zygarde's bulk is bonkers, and its to the point that you'll need a strong Ice Beam to even have a chance at OHKOing it. To give you an idea on how much bulk Zygarde has... it can take a +4 Dragon Pulse from Serperior with some investment, and a neutral SpDef nature! Many neutral attacks can't even take out its substitute. We'll need to discuss this more in depth to see how good Zygarde really is.

I haven't even seen a (good) sun team in the meta, so I also don't know their effectiveness.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Thought I'd share a mon I've been running to great success on a Deo-A team.

Using Mega Blastoise in the speed slot is a godsend for Deo-A teams. You can spam hazards and not have to worry about defogging your own hazards away, as you're pretty much guaranteed to get rapid spin off with 438 speed. It has really good bulk, where it can take a hit from TFlame and OHKO with Scald. It has Dark Pulse to hit spin blocking Ghost types. It has the SpA to keep offensive pressure up. It's a really, really good and underrated mon for Deo-A teams. Try it out.

Replay of it doin work http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/giftsofthegods-458872083
Nommin B+

Last edited:
Supporting Zygarde to B+ at lowest. In standard SubCoil is an excellent set, with only its very slightly substandard SpDef keeping it from warping the metagame. In GotG you can make it hugely bulky on both sides (I've been running it on a Hoopa-U team to incredible effect) and VERY difficult to take down.

It's definitely shut down by Arceus-Clefable with Unaware, but it turns one of the most annoying Pokemon in the metagame into set-up fodder (barring Contrary Shell Smash, fuck that set) and can actually work Deo-A offense over if you run ESpeed and get a few boosts in. Not to mention its natural physical bulk means it can safely Sub and boost on Foul Play (I still need to work out the proper investment for that).

EDIT: Ah, see, I'm running EQ and ESpeed. I might try Dragon Tail some day.

Last edited:
Supporting Zygarde to B+ at lowest. In standard SubCoil is an excellent set, with only its very slightly substandard SpDef keeping it from warping the metagame. In GotG you can make it hugely bulky on both sides (I've been running it on a Hoopa-U team to incredible effect) and VERY difficult to take down.

It's definitely shut down by Arceus-Clefable with Unaware, but it turns one of the most annoying Pokemon in the metagame into set-up fodder (barring Contrary Shell Smash, fuck that set) and can actually work Deo-A offense over if you run ESpeed and get a few boosts in. Not to mention its natural physical bulk means it can safely Sub and boost on Foul Play (I still need to work out the proper investment for that).
It especially sets up on Contrary Shell Smash. There isn't a thing Shuckle can do about being phased. Encore Shuckle, on the other hand... that set can go away. Forever. (And maybe even be given an actual rank for being the most annoying wall out there)

Supporting that Mega-Blastoise nom, by the way. I actually used that on a Deoxys-A team, except I used Water Spout over Rapid Spin. It kind of destroys worlds at full health. (Not having that hazard control that you did is sad, though)

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been playing with SpDef Talonflame in the SpDef slot of a pdon team for the last two days and it is an absolute monster in this meta. Very few teams are equipped to deal with it. It completely shuts down every stall build I've faced and is a major nuisance to balanced builds. Most importantly for this meta, Offense pretty much loses to it if you support it well (Good Steel or Rock type, Hazard Control/Support, Water resist, etc.).

Easily an A rank 'mon, possibly higher. People really should be prepping for it and common teammates that cover its weaknesses.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Eviolite is being suspected!
Eviolite is being suspected because it was originally banned mainly due to Chansey. With Chansey now banned, it is fair that Eviolite gets a chance to prove itself.

How to vote:
  • Create a fresh alt with EVE (EViolitE) in the name
  • Have at least 20 battles on the account
  • Have a GXE of at least 76
  • Vote BAN, DO NOT BAN, or ABSTAIN
  • Explain your reasoning with a short paragraph
Eviolite will be unbanned during this suspect. This suspect will end in 5 days, ie on Tuesday, at approximately this time.
Example vote (not necessarily my own):
Code:
[hide=screenshot of reqs]screenshot.jpg[/hide]
Eviolite: BAN
[insert reasoning here]
Tagging The Immortal to implement this.

----

If you're interested in helping finish off the VR, PM me.

Last edited:
sinpi said:
"Both mons will be banned during the suspect. This suspect will end in 5 days, ie on Tuesday, at approximately this time."
nice c/p tbh Will Eviolite be allowed in this new ladder or not?

I'm excited for eviolite rhydon (with shuckle as god)

decent 414/558/921 with curse, sd and/or rock polish

woooooooooo

Here's a team from me that was my first and my only. It's not oh so amazing but I think it's pretty neat. I call it, "HO Deoxys-A Rhydon Team", since I consider Rhydon (or Rhyperior if Rhydon becomes banned) the star of the team. It just does so much, and I think it does as much as Deoxys-A does. I was also taught to not edit my posts so much by making this post, so yeah.

I obviously needed to think of a God first. Things like Hoopa-Unbound, Kyurem-White, Landorus, and Kyogre first came to mind, but then I chose Deoxys-A since its high attacking stats, good speed, and leading ability was useful to the team. It'll be keeping its special defense stat.

One of Deoxys-A's biggest flaws is that it has horrid defenses. 50 HP and 20 in each defensive stat sucks, so you have to make up for that. What better way to do so than to put a Pokemon that isn't affected by a stat change at all? Rotom-W always has 50 HP and its STAB proved to be useful.

Talonflame is an obvious choice for the attack stat. It's impossible to pass up the opportunity of 180 attack priority spammer. It also kills grass types that may otherwise threaten the team, even if there is only one viable grass type off the top of my head.

I feel bad for poor Weavile since it has such low defense. Lower defense won't matter, then! Weavile also retains nice offensive presence, decent priority, and two amazing STAB moves.

A rock type/ground type weakness was very noticeable. If Rotom-W had died, nothing could beat those suckers, and even then, there's such a thing as weather boosted mons or speed boosted mons, so second counter is needed, and as you can see, it's Serperior. Serperior had two problems in OU: Horrendous special attack and bad coverage. Its shitty special attack is increased to 180, and that (somewhat) neutralizes its coverage needs. Very powerful.

When choosing the speed slot, one Pokemon stood out to me (every Pokemon did, but you get the point): Mega Heracross. With 150 speed it could fix its speed problems and destroy everything in its path with its unboosted 180 attack. It's absolutely perfect for the speed slot.

There was a huge weakness to Talonflame, obviously. Nothing could beat it. Not even Rotom-W, who loses to most of its teammates. Therefore, a surefire counter was needed. And the Pokemon that was the best counter was Rhydon! Rhydon (which was Rhyperior, but Eviolite is being suspected for an unban so obvious option Rhydon) is probably Talonflame's best counter, and because Talonflame may switch out to avoid Rhydon, the teammates can take care of them. You'd be surprised how amazing Rhydon is outside of countering Talonflame, too. Its speed is amazing in the speed slot, it has amazing bulk (especially with Eviolite), nice attack, and Swords Dance. This thing is just amazing.

Yes, Diancie is Mega, by the way. Anyway, Rotom-W was proving to be somewhat mediocre after playing a bit on the ladder, so I switched it out for Diancie-Mega! Higher speed (though Rotom-W was scarf so Rotom-W is the winner of that), Magic Bounce, good mixed attacking stats, and so many more things. It also can take quite a few attacks, even with 50/110/110 defenses.

Last improvement. Weavile was also proving to be mediocre, and there was only one replacement for this off the top of my head.: Another goddamned special attacker--- I mean Alakazam. It doesn't mind that it has now 20 defense since it'll die to many physical attacks (and it has Sash obviously so it doesn't even matter), and in general, it's just the perfect replacement due to its coverage, speed, and Special Attack.

Diancie-Mega (50 HP)/Talonflame (180 Atk)/Alakazam (20 Def)/Serperior (180 SpA)/Deoxys-A (20 SpD)/Rhydon (150 Spe)

Princess Edgy (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Protect

BRAVE BIRD (Talonflame) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- U-turn

You are gay (Alakazam) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Talonflame 2.0 (Serperior) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Taunt
- Leaf Storm

Sableye is gay (Deoxys-Attack) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Extreme Speed

BAN ME DADDY (Rhydon, Rhyperior replaces if Eviolite is banned) (M) @ Eviolite (Or Life Orb)
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

The first Pokemon. It weakens the opposing Pokemon midgame. Very self-explanatory role. It's also a mixed attacker so wallbreaker duties, I guess.

Why wouldn't I have this badass thing on my team? It's already amazing in the OU metagame with an 81 attack, and 180 makes it possibly one of the best Pokemon in the GotG metagame. It has two moves with absolutely amazing power, one of them having priority. It also has a Choice Band, so its wallbreaking prowess is even higher. Due to the fact that it'll mostly be spamming its priority and that it's pretty fast alone, I'm running bulky EVs. Just to take care of any rock types, it has Steel Wing, and U-Turn is there for obvious reasons.

This guy is a neat special attacker. He works well. His coverage is absolutely unbelievable, and he has high special attack and speed, which is just amazing for any Pokemon. The fact that it has 20 defense doesn't hinder it much, as it has Focus Sash and Magic Guard, so it'll have to take a hit of any sort before falling, so it'll always die in two hits.

Leaf Storm spam, Leaf Storm spam. Its 180 special attack makes every Pokemon quiver in fear, even if it didn't have an ability that allows a move does huge damage and increase your special attack at the same time. Also, no chance to setup? Guess what? Your coverage moves actually do damage! Steel types will fall to Serperior's Hidden Power Fire, and dragon types will wish they've never met Serperior when it gets hit in the face with a Dragon Pulse! Overall, Serperior is an amazing Pokemon on this team. I consider this mon one of my cleaners.

Deoxys-Attack is the God of this team and the lead. It sets up Stealth Rock quickly, especially since now that Mega Sableye is banned. Once it does, it also abuses its attacking stats to beat the fuck out of any lead who dares go against me.

Now here's the cleaner, the big boss, the Incredible Hbulk: Rhydon. There's just so many things good about this thing. First up, because it's in the speed slot, it inherits Deoxys-A's 150 speed stat, which is a way better boost over 40. Second, it obviously has amazing bulk, and Eviolite just makes that higher. It doesn't even need Eviolite if setting up on physical attackers, as it can take anything with its physical defense. Isn't that perfect? Next, it has a 130 attack stat, which can be boosted by Swords Dance. It can setup easily thanks to its amazing bulk. It may have a few x4 weaknesses, but it makes up for that by having Talonflame countering grass types (Rhydon also has Megahorn), and having Serperior countering water types. It gets STAB on EdgeQuake, too. Lastly, it counters things from Talonflame to pretty much every rock type.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame (180 Atk) Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 50-60 (14.2 - 17%) -- possible 6HKO

Its only flaw is that Stone Edge has a piss poor 80 accuracy, but every Pokemon has its flaws. Even Mega Rayquaza's weak to Stealth Rock and gets outsped by shit like Deoxys-A and scarf mons.

While Ditto is beatable if it transforms into some mons, it isn't really for some, especially star Rhydon, which can counter every Pokemon on the team. The only thing that can beat this shit is Rhydon itself, and even then, if it has taken good damage from a previous Pokemon...

252 Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 186-222 (52.9 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It'll fall. Of course, if its scarfed, it'll lose to Talonflame, but if it isn't (and trust me, I've seen non-scarf Ditto in GotG before and it's actually not horrible), it will destroy the team. The fact that Talonflame could've fainted in the battle already exists, too.

This bitch. This bitch is annoying. It makes me resort to Rhydon and then it could switch to a counter, and if I don't switch expecting a switch, it could just sweep my team. Mindgames associated with this mon.

I don't want to make my team sound perfect but these are all the counters off the top of my head. Rhydon just deals with so much it is not even funny.

sin(pi) if you want to add this to sample teams, feel free to do so!

Last edited:
I think Banning Eviolite is better for the meta. The current meta is pretty balanced imo, and unbanning eviolite would just change the whole entire metagame, because of a few select pokemon that can really use eviolite.

• Doublade - If Eviolite gets unbanned, this will become really good, due to its nice typing and setup abilities.

• Porygon2 - With a boost in its HP, Speed, or Special Attack, this thing will become very cancerous due to BoltBeam coverage and Thunder Wave.

• Combusken - This will have problems with Talonflame, but aside from that, it can sweep teams (if you increase it's attack), and it has decent bulk now with eviolite.

• Magneton - Magneton can trap steels, beat Talonflame, check Swellow, beat Serperior, beat waters (without ground type), resists espeed. With extra bulk, offensive pressure, or even speed, this thing becomes an absolute monster.

• Rhydon - It has better bulk than Rhyperior, and isn't much weaker offensively. If eviolite gets unbanned, prepare for this to be very good for stopping bird spam.

• Scyther - Scyther can get a boost in its attack, which strengthens its U-Turn potential. However, it is weak to Stealth Rocks and Talonflame, which is a problem. Speedy Scyther is also an option to use with Swords Dance and X-Scissor/Aerial Ace.

• Gligar - With better HP or special defense, Gligar can be an even better pivot than it was in UU.

• Ferroseed - With extra HP and eviolite, its defenses are absurd.

• Togetic - It can get more HP or defense now, and still be a very good cleric/Nasty Plot user.

• Dusclops - When Dusclops gets a much needed boost in its HP, it becomes a whole ton more viable.

Now that I have given you some examples of pokemon that would use eviolite, now it is your choice to decide:

Do you want these pokemon in the meta, and therefore the whole meta changed?

I'm currently pro ban due to the stats that are given. Shuckle can currently be a god and pass sp. def that reaches 921 with eviolite (that's base 370). I think the curse or rp/sd sets will be best with me leaning towards curse. The only downsides are the horrid attack, which isn't a problem for anyone.

Magneton seems good as well, but I'm not sure.

You're forgetting that making Shuckle as a god means... you don't even have a powerful legendary. That's a pretty big downside. Lugia and Primal Groudon, among other titans, can take on these Eviolite walls 1v1, perhaps even without a prior Knock Off.

Even with such bulk, a STAB SE hit hurts mons like Doublade and Rhydon (which still has a ton of weaknesses). Rhydon, for example, might just be taking only one Scald, and might not even survive a strong Grass Knot fully-invested. I think with a combination of status (Toxic spikes, Will-o, etc.), opposing boosting, and just Primal Groudon no-selling many of these mons, they are mostly balanced. Proygon2 seems potentially nuts due to Recover being there, but again, status ruins it.

We need to wait and see if Shuckle teams become a big threat... which I'm leaning towards no on that, given how easily Shuckle can be taken advantage of.

I should have probably have waited until Eviolite was actually allowed on the ladder before making this post but I've got time now, so whatever. Before I begin, I want to explain my team that I've used to get reqs with. I wanted to see how stall is post-Mega Sableye ban, so I threw together a generic Arceus stall team and hit the ladder:​

Mega Diancie Stall
Diancie obviously doesn't compare to Sableye as a stall mon. Worse typing is a huge downside to using it. It can't switch into Iron Head Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and a few other Stealth Rock users, which is pretty annoying. However, it has infinitely higher offensive presence, which is nice in damaging switch-ins. Access to Heal Bell and Stealth Rock aleviates Clefable, meaning it doesn't suffer from severe 4MSS. My team has a severe Ferrothorn weakness so I added HP Fire to it to crush it on the switch ins. Even without investment it does roughly 70% to it which helps Amoonguss finish it off later if it switches out. Arceus-Ground is Ground-type in order to serve as a blanket check to most physical attackers like Groudon, Scizor, Smeargle and more. Defog support is very appreciated seeing as how Diancie can't switch in to every Stealth Rock user. Obviously the primary reason I'm using it is for the stats it gives to my team. In most of my games its the most expendable team member. Having said that, its EVs are set so that it lives a standard Xerneas' Moonblast at +2 100% of the time, whilst still functioning as a sturdy physical wall. Clefable checks most of all set-up physical attackers, and is my primary EKiller switch-in. Fairy typing allows it to switch into nearly every set-up mon and beat it with Toxic. The only thing that comes to mind that poses a threat would be Talonflame thanks to Taunt. Beats threatening Pokemon like SD Mega Heracross, SD Pinsir, and more.

Amoonguss replaced Skarmory because they both serve the purpose I wanted that slot to serve (check Serperior) but Amoonguss hugely improves my matchup vs Kyogre rain teams, and standard rain teams as well for that matter. Amoonguss also has HP Fire to combat Ferrothorn that nearly my whole team gets walled by. Clear Smog helps defeat Pokemon that Clefable can't really switch into like Serperior, Primal Kyogre and the like. Alomomola obviously makes an appearnace on this team because its one of the best Pokemon in this OM. This time its in the Special Defense slot with maximized Defense EVs, which kind of makes it a lot more bulky on the special side, which isn't really a problem but it kind of changes what I can and can't switch into at certain %'s of health. It forms a nice Regenerator core with Amoonguss, but the synergy isn't really that good between the two. Generally Amoonguss doesn't do much so it won't see that many switch-ins unless the enemy has a Serperior. My last is Tyranitar. Scarf + 120 base Speed allows me to pursuit trap a lot of mons like Deoxys-A (which can cause some serious problems if its Thunderbolt, which beats Alomomola), Serperior., etc. Fast but frail Pokemon are very susceptile to it. I don't really need the power of CB on this, seeing as how its primary purpose is to trap frail Pokemon. It deals with Swellow + Talonflame excellently as well, if Diancie is low for some reason. Other than that it doesn't really do much. Scarf's damage isn't enough to bust through annoying walls like Clefable so vs balanced / stall playstyles is nearly useless unless they have something like a Xatu or w/e you can trap.​

Eviolite: Personally, my first impression on this item was that it was clearly overpowered. Having mons like Gligar and P2 running around with absurb BSTs would promote stally playstyles to the point where it becomes ridiculously unhealthy. But the more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself that this might not be the case. Now obviously, coming to a decision based on theory alone is certainly not the best thing to do, which is why I won't be deciding as of now. I'll have to play with it first to make my decision. However, like I said, as I was thinking, most of the aforementioned "Eviolite Titans" like p2, Gligar, Rhydon, Doublade, etc. aren't as tanky as Chansey. You have to keep in mind that this is an Uber metagame first and foremost. Now, having said that, the reason why Eviolite was banned to begin with is because of Chansey, which was objectively pretty busted because it was so tanky that not even set-up could break through it. Obviously these mons aren't Chansey levels of tanky so it would make sense for it to be unbanned now, right? If Eviolite allowed Chansey to be broken but not other Pokemon, banning Chansey would be the logical move, not banning both Eviolite and Chansey. However, it's hard to make that conclusion when I've never seen Eviolite in action yet. And anyway, to make most Eviolite users really tanky you'll need to invest some heavy stats onto it. Arceus is okay, but it doesn't really improve mons like Gligar and Porygon2 that much. Doublade is the main outlier that benefits greatly from 120 HP. Gifting a 131 or 150 HP stat onto those Pokemon would make them incredibly tanky but that would come at the drawback of having a limited number of Ubers to pick from. You could go for higher HP, but then you lose out on using an Uber which is huge.

And then there are supposed "offensive Eviolite" users. How they're even considerable for a teamslot is beyond me. For instance:
IronicDoublade(‽) said:
- Doublade - If Eviolite gets unbanned, this will become really good, due to its nice typing and setup abilities.

- Porygon2 - With a boost in its HP, Speed, or Special Attack, this thing will become very cancerous due to BoltBeam coverage and Thunder Wave.

- Combusken - This will have problems with Talonflame, but aside from that, it can sweep teams (if you increase it's attack), and it has decent bulk now with eviolite.

- Magneton - Magneton can trap steels, beat Talonflame, check Swellow, beat Serperior, beat waters (without ground type), resists espeed. With extra bulk, offensive pressure, or even speed, this thing becomes an absolute monster.

- Rhydon - It has better bulk than Rhyperior, and isn't much weaker offensively. If eviolite gets unbanned, prepare for this to be very good for stopping bird spam.

- Scyther - Scyther can get a boost in its attack, which strengthens its U-Turn potential. However, it is weak to Stealth Rocks and Talonflame, which is a problem. Speedy Scyther is also an option to use with Swords Dance and X-Scissor/Aerial Ace.
It might just be me but most of this seems heavily exaggerated. Keep in mind that if you decide to boost their offensive stats with Uber Pokemon, they will not have acceptable defensive stats, and vice versa (give them defense, they'll do little damage). Rhydon for instance, tanks birdspam only slightly better than its counterpart Rhyperior, which isn't exactly new in this OM. I'm struggling to understand how Porygon could be "cancerous". Its defenses aren't that impressive when it has offensive investment and its damage output isn't even that impressive either: [+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Primal Groudon: 136-160 (33.6 - 39.6%)], [252+ SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 105-124 (43.5 - 51.4%)]. It's quite hard to settle on this conclusion from theory alone, but from calcs it certainly isn't looking good for Porygon2. Combusken would be just another frail Deo-A staple mon. Baton Pass + Speed Boost would set it apart from other mons but the insanely high competition it faces for the attacking slots + its frailty even with Eviolite will keep it from being overpowered. Also Talonflame is insanely popular so it will struggle to thrive in the metagame.

Now the other 3 Pokemon would be pretty good, but the Eviolite item does not really push it to being overpowering. One has to keep in mind that this is an Uber metagame, which means there are Pokemon like PDon, Hoopa-Unbound, Deoxys and the like that unleash a ludicrous amount of damage. Eviolite won't save these Pokemon from the hell that is to come if ever the two were to meet in battle. They're susceptible to status that completely shut it down. Common Pokemon can very easily switch into and beat these mons (Skarmory, Alomomola, Arceus, etc). It's clear to me that these Pokemon have clear downsides which prevent it from being overpowered, meaning that Eviolite ought to be unbanned. But I will have to play with it first to confirm my thoughts. However, at the moment I will vote to unban Eviolite. Though I might change my mind should it be clear through first-hand experience that Eviolite turns out to be overpowered.

there, sin(pi) hope you're happy now stop bothering me to post my thoughts ty!
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

Arceus @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 4 SpA / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Judgment
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch

Last edited:

Eviolite: DO NOT BAN

It seems I got lucky 18 times again to get reqs :). I used an Arceus Balance team that ended up being pretty successful. The team had 2 eviolite mons in Doublade and Porygon 2 which I thought would be the most viable ones.

Heres The Team:
Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Judgment
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Steel Wing

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Toxic
- Thunderbolt

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

It´s a pretty standard balance team with the offensive core of talonflame and serperior and the defensive one between Porygon 2 and Doublade. Arceus water and Mega garchomp patch up a couple holesin the team to make it better. I used Arceus-Water because it gave me a FWG core and a good Defog/Stealth Rock user. Doublade is not only really bulky in the Special defence slot but is also a great check to Deoxys-Attack and a powerful sweeper once it sets up. Porygon is also really bulky with eviolite and the fact that it has only on weakness really helps it shine as a wall. It´s not even passive because of download making it really annoying. Mega Garchomp was suprisingly effective as a wallbreaker since many teams are not prepared for it. Banded Talon is just really strong and annoying overall to a lot of teams. Sub seed serp is my favourite set for it in this meta because it can setup subs VS a lot of teams and be really threathning overall. In conclusion the team seems to be pretty decent as it also helped me peak number #1 on my main account. If eviolite does not get banned you can add this to sample teams if it`s good enough.
proof of peak:

I voted DO NOT BAN because in my ladder experience the eviolite pokemon I used really weren`t
unbreakable or broken at all. As for other eviolite users, I will try to address the better looking ones.
Gligar: While it is very bulky it typing leaves it weak to many common types and it can become setup fodder to mons like sub serperior if it can`t break its sub which leaves it not broken in my opinion.
Rhydon: Whle again, its really bulky and it can setup, its typing is really bad as it leaves it weak to every water and grass type. You can argue its a bit too bulky with shuckle but having shuckle as your god really weakens all of the offensive capabilities of your team which leaves it to be not broken in my opinion.
Scyther: This is also bulky but it`s also moderatly fast and can setup with swords dance easily vs a decent amount of mons. However it´s Stealth Rock and talonflame weaknesses and it being easily outsped means it`s not broken in my opinion.
Dusclops: While this is really bulky with a lot of HP it`s really passive with out setup and knock off weak. It can also end up being setup fodder for some mons and it doesn`t have reliable recover so it`s not really broken in my opinion.

And now I will adress the ones I used to get reqs:
Porygon 2:While it is really bulky with a good typing and it has a reliable recovery, it can be passive if it doesn`t get the special attack boost from download and It´s not as unkillable as it seems as it`s weak to knock off, status, setup and fighting types making it healthy in my opinion.
Doublade:While it is bulky and a really scary setup sweeper once setup, it doesn´t have reliable recovery. It`s also really slow and a +2 shadow sneak is not going to OHKO everything ever. And that`s why it`s not broken in my opinion.

So now that I`ve given my reasons for those mons not to be broken, I also think a lot of those mons could be very viable and help the meta a lot. For example Doublade, Dusclops and Rhydon are Smeargle Checks, Rhydon and maybe Porygon 2 are Talon checks and Scyther+Doublade are Serperior Checks.So that is why I voted DO NOT BAN on the suspect but i`m open to any counter arguments.
Edit:Tried to fix broken images
Edit 2:Tried again
Edit 3: Maybe they just don`t show for me...
Edit 4: Ok this is not working I will just fix this later
Edit 5: Finally fixed it

Attachments

Last edited:
upload_2016-10-22_15-7-5.png

upload_2016-10-22_15-7-26.png

So what will my vote be? Well, I have not quite decided yet. I have some pros and cons, however. I'm leaning toward banning, but I want to know what the pros are of unbanning Eviolite. That is because there are some pokemon that I think will become extremely good due to eviolite.

Rhydon - this is my main concern. And no, not in the special defense slot. Actually where I am concerned about is the speed slot. With Swords Dance/EdgeQuake/Coverage, extra bulk to live physical hits, and a base 120, 130, or 150 speed (150 is very deadly), the thing can outright sweep teams with decent support. Yes its still weak to some special hits, but with eviolite, its special bulk is decent.

Porygon2 - not actually that bulky, but thunder wave + boltbeam + recover can cause some concerns. In bulky offense and offense, p2 would be an extremely good pokemon to use.

Doublade - this thing is actually ok, and really the only threatening thing it has is like a resttalk/toxic/gyro ball set where it stalls the living hell out of everything. Aside from that, the offensive sets aren't actually that overpowered.

Tangela - More bulk is nice, but Tangrowth most likely does the job better anyway.

Dusclops - RestTalk + Calm Mind/Will-o-wisp/Toxic/filler + Dark Pulse/Shadow ball with extra HP and eviolite does massive amounts of damage to opponents. Just to give you an idea of how much bulk is exactly here:

252 Atk (base 180) Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP (base 120) / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 151-178 (34 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA (base 180) Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP (base 120) / 0 SpD Eviolite Dusclops: 234-276 (52.7 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [with a calm mind, it lives 100%]
+2 252 SpA (base 120) Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP (base 120) / 0 SpD Eviolite Dusclops: 213-252 (47.9 - 56.7%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO

As you can see, the bulk Dusclops has is tremendous, and Calm Mind sets are quite threatening.

Thats about it. Currently I'm leaning toward ban, but feel free to try and change my mind!

replays using some of those mons:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/giftsofthegods-461999818
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/giftsofthegods-462005799

(ill try to get more on ladder)

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)