Goal: go from crappy to awesome artist in 10 years. [itt he's pretty much there now]

Sarenji

leaf-faced
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, pretty good response to come home to! Thanks, this made my day!

wip for above (i actually like the eyes/face better here...)

Cleaning stuff up takes a really long time for me (that took 1.5 hours to clean up) but hopefully it gets faster!!

Next on my fundamentals list is practicing lips, feet, shoes, and noses. I basically skimped on that this pic ~_~ Another thing that'd be cool is finding a place where you can find every human pose imaginable.

EDIT:

Pocket said:
For flamethrower were you trying to draw something similar to this:

http://thenewagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Flame-thrower.jpg
Yeah I was. I guess I shouldn't have made it so spiky!

That sketch is actually really good! I like it :D If anything perhaps you could do something with Blue's right arm? from the viewer's standpoint it seems like his arm is very short! Otherwise I like your take on Eevee!

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I honestly think you don't need 10 years and you aren't even close to crapppy ;_;

awesome stuff you've got there. When do you intend to color them? :O

Sarenji

leaf-faced
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Haha. I definitely have a long way to go still. See this post! I sort of backpedalled in quality since I spent ~4x less less time on each picture. If you hate sketches, there is a mediocre colored picture at the end.

My faces take way too long to get right, so I've been practicing lips/noses/other faces to try to get faster at drawing them correctly. Also I'm best at drawing humanoids now and not much else (what a turn). Which means it's time to work on environments/items!

speed sketches (ranges from 10-30 min)

lips/noses

"original character": a girl called Girl. Maybe I'll really call her that.

I definitely need some guidance coloring. I've been reading up on tutorials like mad. I think maybe this is something I should start slow with -- more basic shapes etc. like what Ritter suggested with circles/pyramids. (ok, just tried this.)

Sarenji

leaf-faced
so... the apartment i was renting for a year got foreclosed to the bank and the bank is bullying me into 100% moving out in 2 weeks. for the next few weeks i'm scrambling to find a new place to live + scheduling moves, so my motivation to do anything besides that is kind of low :-/ i don't have anything to show so i drew/colored these just now just to force myself to draw and not completely lose the habit i had been building up!

It's pretty dishonest to pretend you just started drawing and make gorgeous art just to get attention >:I

Sarenji

leaf-faced
This isn't my first time drawing, but it's the first time I ever got serious about it. I can show you my really old art (as in, when I first got a wacom then gave up drawing because I wasn't good at it) if you like.

Anyway. 1 month update. I've settled into my new place and it has a huge desk that's perfect for penciling. So I've been doing a lot of that!

INTERVAL OF TIME AS I FRANTICALLY LOOKED FOR A PLACE TO LIVE
(This also marks the time I'm using pencil exclusively.)

That's all for now. I'll be practicing poses even more.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wow... just. Wow.

First off, good job on sticking with your guns and pursuing your goal. Most people would have quit by now. Your definitely getting better and better at this. I keep saying that but its fucking true.

<3 that Homestuck art. I'm going to request a shitton of Homestuck art from you dude.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey, great progress so far! One thing I notice is in the drawings where you're referencing people, it seems like some places (especially side-view jaws) you're drawing what you *think* it should look like rather than what it actually looks like. Try to mentally flatten the "lines" you see and really recognize the angles that you're looking at. Don't let your memory override your eyes!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
thanks for the update, Sarenji! I am glad you moved in safely, and it's cool that you're starting to work on dynamic poses.

The smudging is very well done; I bet your gal (girl) friend was flattered :)

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
not bad, nig! definitely see the big improvements, keep it up fo sho. moco pride

Sarenji

leaf-faced
thanks guys! whenever someone posts i get happy! EDIT: also while i appreciate the title change i'm definitely not there yet :p

Hey, great progress so far! One thing I notice is in the drawings where you're referencing people, it seems like some places (especially side-view jaws) you're drawing what you *think* it should look like rather than what it actually looks like. Try to mentally flatten the "lines" you see and really recognize the angles that you're looking at. Don't let your memory override your eyes!
you're absolutely right. i noticed i have this problem too. trying to squash that internal voice is tough! i'm going to keep what you said as close to my mind as possible.

SOME MORE DRAWINGS

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That Elza is well-drawn <3 However, it's not complete until you color her hair scarlet, hehe

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
that erza drawing is really goddamn sexy! i wish i could draw like that :( ill get on your level eventually

Sarenji

leaf-faced

i might go back and digitally color in some of these... but i'm getting a little lazy with the wacom, oops!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
II'm plea2antly 2urpri2ed by your 2ollux Sarenji, iit came out pretty damn good. I'm also iimpre22ed by your progre22iion a2 an artii2t in general.

II want to a22ert that II don't LIITERALLY tell you that every tiime, 2o don't GET COCKY YOU FUCK.

Sarenji

leaf-faced
I participated in Ludum Dare just now, which is a 48-hour game-making contest. Anyway, you can check out my entry (and its ludum dare page). It was mainly an exercise in drawing really fast + writing + programming all at the same time. A lot of it is inspired by Homestuck!

(Try to do this in Chrome/Safari, or Firefox if you don't have either.)

Pocket

dude, I can't get into my bro's room... I broke the planks on the window and turned on the switch on the top wall of the assembly line... but apparently I need to find ANOTHER switch?!?!?

Sarenji

leaf-faced
dude, I can't get into my bro's room... I broke the planks on the window and turned on the switch on the top wall of the assembly line... but apparently I need to find ANOTHER switch?!?!?
Click the window again to exit through the window - probably should have made this more obvious!

Was the knife supposed to do anything? Because the fact that I couldn't use it to fight the mom... thing was sad times.

Also, back when I used to draw semi-regularly (I wasn't good, but I wasn't terrible I guess) feet were always a real problem for me too. I found the easiest solution was slippers.

Sarenji

leaf-faced
Was the knife supposed to do anything? Because the fact that I couldn't use it to fight the mom... thing was sad times.
Nope. It was just backstory. But you have a brilliant idea and if I had time I wish I made that the ending. That is utterly perfect.

By the way, my game got #25 in humor out of 1400 people! Individual rankings are on the game's main page.

DRAWINGS

In the naked guys the anatomy is a bit off, especially the first guy who has a tiny head but huge legs! But that just comes with practice so keep at it :) While doing it maybe just standing back and asking yourself "does this look right?" can be good, as working on small bits in isolation often makes them look odd when combined
Oh and the concept art is really cool :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)