Status
Not open for further replies.

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
:rb/golem:
Solid Rocks, Brother

[OVERVIEW]
Golem is a rather uncommon threat in the RBY UU metagame. While it wields the strongest Physical Attack in the tier with its mighty Explosion, and has a very meaty STAB Earthquake for threats like Tentacruel and Electabuzz, its extremely slow speed holds it back. It is outsped by every single UU Pokemon, as well as less viable threats like Venusaur, Golduck, and Dewgong that occasionally see play in the tier. Normally slow threats like Omastar can take advantage of this as well. It also opens it up to being pivoted around using Wrap, delaying it's Explosions. It’s extremely low special, as well as 4x weakness to Water and Grass, leaves it susceptible to take extreme damage from the Pokemon that it would otherwise be threatening like Raichu and Tentacruel. With proper paralysis support and good positioning, it can do wonders as a wallbreaker and general offensive threat, while also having good defensive utility. This defensive utility comes from it's ground typing, which gives it a very useful immunity to electric-type moves like Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt. This immunity makes it fairly good at allowing double switches, which is very important to allow Golem to be able to come in safely, which can be an issue due to Golem's manys weaknesses and low speed.

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Substitute/Body Slam

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Earthquake is Golem’s strongest attacking move that doesn’t kill itself. It’s the combination of this move, as well as its STAB Rock Slide, that gives it good coverage against Pokemon that would otherwise switch in and obliterate it like Tentacruel and Articuno. Golem's Rock Slide is also among the reasons that Golem is a great way to stop a Dodrio sweep, as it threatens it with STAB Rock Slide and resists Normal and Flying type moves. Explosion is used to deal extraordinary damage to every Pokemon in the tier, with a few exceptions such as Omastar and Haunter. Some notable calcs include a guranteed OHKO on Persian, and a possible OHKO on Tentacruel and Hypno.
There are two distinct ways to use Golem. You can either use it in the early game as a wallbreaker to make holes in the opposing team, or in the mid to late game. Using Golem in the mid to late game lets it form an excellent immunity core with Gyrarados, as Gyrarados is weak to Electric-Type attacks and Golem is weak to Ground-Type attacks, so each is immune to the other's weaknesses. This allows for some very useful double switches to allow either Golem or Gyarados to come in freely. If you go for the an early game wallbreaker, Substitute should be used over Body Slam to help guarantee a successful Explosion and to scout out moves and pokemon. If you go for Body Slam over Substitute, it is used to help cripple Pokemon through paralysis.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Toxic is perhaps the most useful alternative for its moveset, as it allows it to threaten a Dragonite that might attempt to set-up on it. But it is worth noting that a lack of Toxic opens up the risk of the Dragonite outright winning the game through setup.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-Types**: Due to Golem’s low special, low speed, and 4x weakness to Water, any Water type is a threat to OHKO Golem. However, Golem threatens Tentacruel and the rare Golduck with a chance to OHKO with Explosion, and large damage to Gyarados with a well timed Rock Slide. If Tentacruel does happen to be paralysed, it gets screwed over as it will have to use Rest to lose status later, making it vulnerable to a KO from Golem's Earthquake if it has taken some chip damage.

**Tangela**: Tangela’s high defense, resistance to Earthquake, and access to STAB Mega Drain make it an excellent check to Golem. Explosion does still do massive damage to it however, and if Golem is packing the extremely rare Fire Blast its damage output is slightly increased.

**Articuno**: While Articuno does take heavy damage from Golem’s STAB Rock Slide, it is immune to Golem's Earthquakes. This trait allows it to switch in and take out Golem with STAB Blizzard. However, good prediction on the Golem user’s end can help mitigate this.

**Raichu**: While Raichu cannot switch into Golem, unless it comes in on a baited Rock Slide through something like Dodrio, it OHKOs Golem with its Surf and outspeeds it, forcing Golem out.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[pacattacc, 520967]]
- Quality checked by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
My first QC check, eh?

It is outsped by every single UU Pokemon, as well as the NU threats that occasionally see play in the tier.
I'd say reword this. NU isn't considered to be an "official" tier, so something like "less viable threats like <example>, <example> and <example>" could work better. Generally, I think citing examples of slower threats that take advantage of Golem's speed particularly well would help a lot. Note that it's pretty easy to pivot around using Wrap due to that crap speed, for example. It delays the Explosion as well, which is huge.

as well as 4x weakness to Water
"Water and Grass", maybe? Some Haunter builds use Mega Drain, then there's Tangela and the less relevant Venusaur which can take advantage too. Could be unnecessary, though.

With proper paralysis support and good positioning however, it can punch holes in the enemy team to gain an advantage.
I think you should elaborate on what Golem actually does here. You've established that it hits really hard, but not anything else. Golem has strong defensive utility thanks to being part-Ground, and is difficult to switch into due to its STABs and threat of Body Slam paralysis. That immunity makes it fairly good at allowing double-switches and such too, it's very important. You should also note that Golem absolutely fucks Dodrio up when it's trying to sweep, which is another big selling point for its defensive utility. You're on the right track, we just need more explanation.

Earthquake is Golem’s strongest attacking move that doesn’t kill itself. It’s the combination of this move, as well as it’s STAB Rock Slide, that gives it good coverage against Pokemon that would otherwise switch in and obliterate it like Tentacruel and Articuno. Explosion is used to deal extraordinary damage to every Pokemon in the tier, with a few exceptions such as Omastar and Haunter.
You should try to explain the use of Body Slam here. It spreads paralysis, which makes Golem harder to switch in on, as it can follow up with Earthquake to KO quite a few threats; Tentacruel gets screwed particularly hard as it has to Rest to remove the paralysis later. You mention this later, but it's not actually explaining how it helps. You should really try to sell Substitute more as well, outside of guaranteeing Explosion. Merge these bits from the second paragraph into this one. Once again, on the right track, just need a bit more.

I'd also suggest citing notable Explosion OHKOs here as well. From the BoomDex, I gathered these targets;
  • Chance to OHKO Tentacruel and Golduck (may not be wise to note, since Tentacruel forces you out and Golduck isn't too relevant...and it's only an OHKO chance...)
  • Persian
  • Raticate
  • Venomoth
  • Raichu
I omitted ones that Golem can otherwise deal with just fine (Dodrio, Kadabra, etc).

There are two distinct ways to use Golem. You can either use it in the early game as a wallbreaker to make holes in the opposing team, or in the mid to late game.
Both of these are correct, but we can flesh this out more. Note that Golem's Electric immunity gives it a strong point of entry, as well as a good opportunity for a double-switch into something like Gyarados, which it also defends. This is a good example of an immunity core; Gyarados protects Golem from Earthquake, Golem protects Gyarados from Thunderbolt. This defensive utility is a big part of selling Golem. You should also mention that Golem doesn't necessarily have to explode, and can mow down paralyzed teams if given the opportunity. Golem's Explosion is also great for setting up revenge-kills or giving safe switch-ins to a sweeper if it lands a KO.

--

**Water-Types**: Due to Golem’s low special, low speed, and 4x weakness to Water, any Water type should damage it by a very large amount. However, between it’s offensive moves, it can still do hefty damage on them switching in, such as Tentacruel and Gyarados.
You could cite the Explosion OHKO chances for Tentacruel and Golduck here, possibly. I'd say note how you deal hefty damage to Tentacruel and Gyarados as well, plus how paralysis changes some of the matchups. A certain jellyfish gets fucked if it's paralyzed or Golem comes in on a Rest turn.

and if Golem is packing the extremely rare Fire Blast it’s damage output is slightly increased.
In this case, maybe put Fire Blast in Other Options for this reason along with burns and hitting Venusaur on the switch?

For checks and counters, I think we could add Raichu. Raichu has Surf coverage which beats Golem handily. While it can't switch in to save its life without help from something like Dodrio baiting Rock Slide, once it's in, Golem is out. It can OHKO with Explosion or Earthquake if it comes in stupidly though. Note that paralysis puts the matchup much more in Golem's favour.

--

Implement this, then tag me on Discord or here and I'll look it over again.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
(talked over Discord)

This immunity makes it fairly good at allowing double switches, which is very important.
Very important for what? You need to cite examples to establish our point to the reader. In this case, you could mention its synergy with Flying-types and Haunter, as it discourages use of Thunderbolt.

Alternatively, you could bring this into Set Details as you bring it up there.

Fire Blast could be used to threaten Burn status and to hit Grass-types on the switch, but this benefit is rarely worth sacrificing something like Substitute or Body Slam.
Note that Earthquake deals more damage to Grass-types if it hits for neutral damage, eg. with Venusaur and Venomoth. Offensively, it's almost solely for Tangela.

If Tentacruel does happen to be paralysed, it gets screwed over as it will have to use Rest to lose status later, making it vulnerable.
Mention Earthquake in the head-to-head when Tentacruel is paralyzed.

Implement this and you have yourself a QC 1/2. Good work!

As an optional thing, I think it may need some rearranging in places, namely in regards to separation into paragraphs. Your current setup isn't wrong, though.

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
(talked over Discord)

Very important for what? You need to cite examples to establish our point to the reader. In this case, you could mention its synergy with Flying-types and Haunter, as it discourages use of Thunderbolt.

Alternatively, you could bring this into Set Details as you bring it up there.

Note that Earthquake deals more damage to Grass-types if it hits for neutral damage, eg. with Venusaur and Venomoth. Offensively, it's almost solely for Tangela.

Mention Earthquake in the head-to-head when Tentacruel is paralyzed.

Implement this and you have yourself a QC 1/2. Good work!

As an optional thing, I think it may need some rearranging in places, namely in regards to separation into paragraphs. Your current setup isn't wrong, though.
Implemented! Going to mark that as QC 1/2, thank you for the help.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Golem is also a great way to stop a Dodrio sweep, as it threatens it with STAB Rock Slide and resists Normal and Flying type moves.
I think this fits in better in set comments, where you talk about its late-game possibilities.

Substitute also takes 25 hits from Dragonite's Wrap, meaning if Golem can set up Substitute on it you can force it to waste a bunch of Wrap PP.
I don't think this is a very relevant interaction. Dragonite carries Blizzard, so unless Blizzard is out of PP, it would never use Wrap on a Golem Sub. Also Golem has more than a 2/3rds chance to 2HKO with Rock Slide anyway, so I don't really see a situation where you're going to be PP Stalling a Dragonite with Golem. It's a kill or be kill matchup, where you (the Golem player) come out on the losing end more times than not.

If you go for Body Slam over Substitute, it is used to help cripple Pokemon through paralysis. Pokemon like Hypno and Tentacruel that normally use Rest to rid themselves of status now have to worry about Golem coming in and threatening them with a KO or a Switch.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point here. What I think you're trying to say here is that if you use Body Slam and catch Tent/Hypno on the switch-in and paralyze them, then Golem becomes more of a threat? Because according to the calcs you're going to KO Tent in one hit or Hypno in two hits. That's how I'm interpreting it anyway, but I would reword this to clear things up.

Fire Blast could be used to threaten Burn status and to hit Tangela on the switch, but this benefit is rarely worth sacrificing something like Substitute or Body Slam.
As (I think Volk?) and I said on Discord, I don't think Fire Blast is worth a mention in Other Options. Like again, Fire Blast is only used to hit one C-tier 'mon (Tangela), which outspeeds Golem and hits it for 4x STAB damage anyway. Also if you take a look at the calc Tangela actually recovers more health from Mega Drain if it runs it than Golem does to it from Fire Blast. That 4th move slot is much better used on Body Slam, Sub, or Toxic.

**Water-Types**: Due to Golem’s low special, low speed, and 4x weakness to Water, any Water type should damage it by a very large amount. However, Golem threatens Tentacruel and the rare Golduck with a chance to OHKO with Explosion, and large damage to Gyarados with a well timed Rock Slide. If Tentacruel does happen to be paralysed, it gets screwed over as it will have to use Rest to lose status later, making it vulnerable to a KO from Golem's Earthquake if it has taken some chip damage.
I would say "is a threat to OHKO Golem" instead because every Water-type in this tier OHKO's with a STAB move. The only time you might avoid it is if you're going up against a Gyarados that doesn't carry STAB. I would also use different language than "screwed over" to make your point about Tentacruel here.

---

There's also some GP things I noticed throughout the analysis, like wrong its vs. it's, etc. I'd go back over and check that stuff too before GP takes a look at it.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I don't have time to QC/GP check this right now, but please fix your use of its vs. it's.
"Its" is the possessive form of the third-person singular pronoun "it."
"It's" is a contraction of the two words "it" and "is."
Pretty much every single time you used "it's" you meant "its." I'm sorry but this was driving me absolutely crazy and I had to point it out.

Every single "it's" except this one
It’s the combination of this move
needs to change.

edit: Just noticed PvK pointed this out. Still, 9/10 it's got to go.

Last edited:

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think this fits in better in set comments, where you talk about its late-game possibilities.

I don't think this is a very relevant interaction. Dragonite carries Blizzard, so unless Blizzard is out of PP, it would never use Wrap on a Golem Sub. Also Golem has more than a 2/3rds chance to 2HKO with Rock Slide anyway, so I don't really see a situation where you're going to be PP Stalling a Dragonite with Golem. It's a kill or be kill matchup, where you (the Golem player) come out on the losing end more times than not.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point here. What I think you're trying to say here is that if you use Body Slam and catch Tent/Hypno on the switch-in and paralyze them, then Golem becomes more of a threat? Because according to the calcs you're going to KO Tent in one hit or Hypno in two hits. That's how I'm interpreting it anyway, but I would reword this to clear things up.

As (I think Volk?) and I said on Discord, I don't think Fire Blast is worth a mention in Other Options. Like again, Fire Blast is only used to hit one C-tier 'mon (Tangela), which outspeeds Golem and hits it for 4x STAB damage anyway. Also if you take a look at the calc Tangela actually recovers more health from Mega Drain if it runs it than Golem does to it from Fire Blast. That 4th move slot is much better used on Body Slam, Sub, or Toxic.

I would say "is a threat to OHKO Golem" instead because every Water-type in this tier OHKO's with a STAB move. The only time you might avoid it is if you're going up against a Gyarados that doesn't carry STAB. I would also use different language than "screwed over" to make your point about Tentacruel here.

---

There's also some GP things I noticed throughout the analysis, like wrong its vs. it's, etc. I'd go back over and check that stuff too before GP takes a look at it.
Implemented! (also fixed the It's and Its thing)

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Re-read this after hearing some grievances from Volk.

There is a significant lack of info on the biggest draw to Golem: Explosion. It's the most powerful physical attack in the tier and it has minimal mentions in the Overview. We have mentions on what it OHKOes and the like in Set Details, but I think we could do better than this. When should Golem explode, and what should it be targeting primarily during this? The first line of the analysis should establish this as part of Golem's identity, as it absolutely is.

We also have a significant lack of Golem's points of entry (electrics, twave prediction, tent wrap) and the support it requires (paralysis, a water). These are pretty crucial for something like Golem, as its immunities make it very good at pivoting around.

Another thing for the Set Details;
Earthquake is Golem’s strongest attacking move that doesn’t kill itself. It’s the combination of this move, as well as its STAB Rock Slide, that gives it good coverage against Pokemon that would otherwise switch in and obliterate it like Tentacruel and Articuno. Golem's Rock Slide is also among the reasons that Golem is a great way to stop a Dodrio sweep, as it threatens it with STAB Rock Slide and resists Normal and Flying type moves. Explosion is used to deal extraordinary damage to every Pokemon in the tier, with a few exceptions such as Omastar and Haunter. Some notable calcs include a guranteed OHKO on Persian, and a possible OHKO on Tentacruel and Hypno. Split here There are two distinct ways to use Golem. You can either use it in the early game as a wallbreaker to make holes in the opposing team, or in the mid to late game. Using Golem in the mid to late game lets it form an excellent immunity core with Gyrarados, as Gyrarados is weak to Electric-Type attacks and Golem is weak to Ground-Type attacks, so each is immune to the other's weaknesses. This allows for some very useful double switches to allow either Golem or Gyarados to come in freely. If you go for the an early game wallbreaker, Substitute should be used over Body Slam to help guarantee a successful Explosion and to scout out moves and pokemon. If you go for Body Slam over Substitute, it is used to help cripple Pokemon through paralysis.
You can easily split this, left a mark for where. This more clearly emphasizes the different topics and makes it easier to focus on them.

The Toxic segment doesn't make much sense;
Toxic is perhaps the most useful alternative for its moveset, as it allows it to threaten a Dragonite that might attempt to set-up on it. But it is worth noting that a lack of Toxic opens up the risk of the Dragonite outright winning the game through setup.
It's worded as if Toxic is mandatory in the second line, and it is far from that. I think you should note what move you replace when using it, as well as the opportunity cost. Chances are you're removing Body Slam, which means it will mandate paralysis support due to being incapable of spreading its own.

If you need help, DM me on Discord, I think we can improve this significantly.

EB0LA

Banned deucer.
"It is outsped by every single UU Pokemon, as well as less viable threats like Venusaur, Golduck, and Dewgong that occasionally see play in the tier. Normally slow threats like Omastar can take advantage of this as well."
I would change this to: It is outsped by every single Pokemon in UU, where even Omastar & Tangela can take advantage."
. It also opens it up to being pivoted around using Wrap, delaying it's Explosions.
???
Please re-write this section, it's confusing. I believe you mean that Golem is good at tanking wrap pp's, if not please include this in the 1st paragraph as a pro of its Rock type ability to tanks wrap hits.

Mention Raichu's surf is guaranteed OHKO Golem. in this 1st paragraph section " leaves it susceptible to take extreme damage from the Pokemon that it would otherwise be threatening like Raichu and Tentacruel."
Raichu Surf vs. Golem: 364-428 (100.2 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

LMK when these updates are made and I will look this over again, ty.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Popping in quickly to say that Golem is currently not even ranked on the UU Viability Rankings. The analysis should in no uncertain terms clarify that this pokemon is not good. Not sure if I will provide a full QC but this is important - we do not want to mislead readers

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Amaranth, the removal of Golem from the UU VR has been a pretty controversial decision, so I expect to see it return (likely to C Rank) in the near future. Golem is worthwhile in UU. I very much appreciate your concern and share the goal of keeping these analyses honest. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)