Let's Play! Gonna Catch 'Em All - A Pokémon 'World Tour'

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello, and welcome to the start of a journey. I have decided to waste my life finally catch all of the Pokémon after being an avid enthusiast of the franchise for the better part of 20 years. Much like my responsibilities, I am liable to forget the majority of this adventure if I do not document it. They say 'life's about the journey, not the destination' or something like that, so really this is a thread about LIFE. That being said, I am going to play all of the main series Pokémon games in chronological order, while capturing every monster for a living dex, and collecting/pimping out some bad ass 'mons along the way. Others are invited to comment, or better yet join in on this with me.. it takes two to tango, or not feel like a loser idk

Kanto: 150/151
Johto:
Hoenn:
Sinnoh:
Unova:
Kalos:
Alola:

Last edited:

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
Generation One

Yellow Version

Target Captures

These are the Pokémon I am setting out to capture specifically, either for trophy or battle purposes. Will need to do some cloning and have a bit of luck with the RNG for some of the IV spreads, since my 3ds with CFW is broken.

For Battling

Venusaur
Chlorophyll - Modest
IVs: 31/e/HT/31/HT/31
Hidden Power Ice

Charizard
Solar Power - Timid
IVs: 31/e/HT/31/HT/31
Hidden Power Ice

Nidoking
Sheer Force - Modest
IVs: 31/xx/HT/31/HT/31

Alakazam

Story

For this playthrough, I am doing my first ever “challenge run”. I will not purchase any healing items, nor will I allow any party members to faint. If a Pokémon faints, it will be released back into the wild. Lets see what happens.

Current Team

Butterfree Lvl 18
Confusion, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Supersonic

Pikachu Lvl 17
Thundershock, Thunder Wave, Quick Attack, Double Team
Progress
Pallet Town/Oaks Parcel
Professor Oak introduces himself. I tell him my name is Matt. He mutters something about my mom and then goes on about his grandson, I remind him the boy's name is Gary and that he should probably lay off of the weed. What kind of scientist forgets his own grandson's name anyway? Whatever.

I awake in a daze and run to my PC to grab a potion, cause I got shit to do today. I rush out into the grass, and here comes Professor Oak again. Some fat yellow rat attacks us, and Oak wrangles him up. We head back to the lab.

Oak's grandson comes in and surprise - he is a giant dick. After some arguing, the fat rat from earlier and I end up battling him and his new dog, which looks like a little bitch IMO. We whoop their respective asses and head out.

After running up north, we realize we are Oak's mule. After bringing this 'parcel' its pretty apparent theres more weed in here. What a world we live in, but hey, at least he gave us a Pokémon. And this cool little computer thing. Gary seems like the type of dude to send a picture of his weiner to someone with it. Idk about that kid man.

Headed back up north and into the grass, cause I was thinking I wanted to add a Nidoran(m) to my team. I couldn't seem to find a level 4 one, and my Pikachu got up to level 11 in the process. I beat on Gary again cause he a bitch. Sitting on 3 potions cause im a baller, and am good and finding shit in the bushes.

Decided against the Nidoking, will go the Butterfree route to beat brock and then most likely toss it. My mind is all but made up on a team consisting of Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Snorlax, and Mew. I know it is not very original, but neither is playing Yellow version in 2018 as a near 30 year old. Maybe I will be crazy and nix the Mew and keep the Butterfree.

My 3DS is about to die so I will go lay down for the evening, and possibly report back later or tomorrow, hopefully with a Butterfly and maybe a badge or two.
Viridian Forest/Pewter City/Pre Tunnel
Made it through Viridian forest, caught a Caterpie, assaulted bugs til it became a Butterfree and now knows Confusion. We have arrived in Pewter City and I am about to give Brock “The Business”. See you guys in a bit.

Brock got owned by Butterfree. This thing is pretty fun to use. Blazed through the following route beyond Pewter, accidently bumped into the trainer with the Jigglypuff. That little piece of shit got Butterfree to 2HP via Pound, damn near gave me a heart attack. Made it to the edge of the tunnel and will stop here for the evening. But first, lemme buy a Magikarp.

Pokédex: 150/151

Last edited:

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
Yellow Version

For this play through, I am going to do a little bit of a challenge since I have never done anything like that before. I will set two restrictions for myself:
1. If a Pokémon faints, it is dead, and will be released.
2. I will not buy any healing items from any stores during the game.
3. I will not use any revives during the game.

In all fairness, this should not prove to be that difficult. I will probably eat these words later, and this may be my only challenge run of this whole project. Who knows!

Pallet Town/Oaks Parcel
Professor Oak introduces himself. I tell him my name is Matt. He mutters something about my mom and then goes on about his grandson, I remind him the boy's name is Gary and that he should probably lay off of the weed. What kind of scientist forgets his own grandson's name anyway? Whatever.

I awake in a daze and run to my PC to grab a potion, cause I got shit to do today. I rush out into the grass, and here comes Professor Oak again. Some fat yellow rat attacks us, and Oak wrangles him up. We head back to the lab.

Oak's grandson comes in and surprise - he is a giant dick. After some arguing, the fat rat from earlier and I end up battling him and his new dog, which looks like a little bitch IMO. We whoop their respective asses and head out.

After running up north, we realize we are Oak's mule. After bringing this 'parcel' its pretty apparent theres more weed in here. What a world we live in, but hey, at least he gave us a Pokémon. And this cool little computer thing. Gary seems like the type of dude to send a picture of his weiner to someone with it. Idk about that kid man.

Headed back up north and into the grass, cause I was thinking I wanted to add a Nidoran(m) to my team. I couldn't seem to find a level 4 one, and my Pikachu got up to level 11 in the process. I beat on Gary again cause he a bitch. Sitting on 3 potions cause im a baller, and am good and finding shit in the bushes.

Decided against the Nidoking, will go the Butterfree route to beat brock and then most likely toss it. My mind is all but made up on a team consisting of Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Snorlax, and Mew. I know it is not very original, but neither is playing Yellow version in 2018 as a near 30 year old. Maybe I will be crazy and nix the Mew and keep the Butterfree.

My 3DS is about to die so I will go lay down for the evening, and possibly report back later or tomorrow, hopefully with a Butterfly and maybe a badge or two.

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
u might have beat me to my own thing
following
do it with me! the more the merrier

Update: on a bit of a road trip this weekend.. shits going down

Made it through Viridian forest, caught a Caterpie, assaulted bugs til it became a Butterfree and now knows Confusion. We have arrived in Pewter City and I am about to give Brock “The Business”. See you guys in a bit.

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
but i cant until i finish my thesis wehhhhh
so what are you at, pikachu and butterfree?
yep, Pikachu is level 15 and Butterfree is 14. I think this is probably the longest I have held on to one of these butterflies. Im curious to see how long it will last.

what is your thesis on? sounds interesting and marginally more productive than playing pokemon

I plan on powering through the game, and once I defeat the Elite 4 filling in the blanks of this Pokédex.

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
the thesis
is ON
pokemon

specifically the music of mystery dungeon

:VVVVV
are you a musician?

-----

Update!

Mount Moon - Cerulean City
Holy shit Mount Moon sucks without potions. I had to turn around and walk all the way back out to heal before entering the floor with the creepy fossil guy. Fuck that was annoying. Made it outta that shithole of a cave and to Cerulean City. So far I have defeated the Nugget bridge and half of the trainers on the way to Bill's. It is probably time to get a Mew to make things interesting. I have also been given a Charmander, but I am not going to use it, which brings me to my next point -

I have used my copy of Blue version to finish most of the Kanto Dex. I have 131/151 so far. Yellow will be used to acquire my Trophy Case Pokémon. So far I would like the following

Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle all with viable hidden powers.
Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres with viable hidden powers.
Pikachu with hidden power ice
Mewtwo
Mew

Gonna dive back in in a few minutes and get some work done!

Last edited:
are you a musician?

-----

Update!

Rock Tunnel - Cerulean City
Holy shit Rock Tunnel sucks without potions. I had to turn around and walk all the way back out to heal before entering the floor with the creepy fossil guy. Fuck that was annoying. Made it outta that shithole of a cave and to Cerulean City. So far I have defeated the Nugget bridge and half of the trainers on the way to Bill's. It is probably time to get a Mew to make things interesting. I have also been given a Charmander, but I am not going to use it, which brings me to my next point -

I have used my copy of Blue version to finish most of the Kanto Dex. I have 131/151 so far. Yellow will be used to acquire my Trophy Case Pokémon. So far I would like the following

Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle all with viable hidden powers.
Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres with viable hidden powers.
Pikachu with hidden power ice
Mewtwo
Mew

Gonna dive back in in a few minutes and get some work done!
I think you mean Mt. Moon, my lad.

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
been a while since i updated this but

i ended up beating the game and accidently also deleting the game because fuck ws m and 8 f and whatnot. this has happened to me so many times that im staying away from kanto (besides johto games) til the switch game comes out.

I did however first manage to complete the Kanto regional dex, glitch mew and all. Even ended up with two flawless timid shiny ones. gonna update the pokemon collection that resulted from the game, as well as the current pokedex.

when i first set out to do this, i had planned on playing all of the games in chronological order. in order to keep my sanity things interesting, i will no longer be doing this. i just wanna have fun after all. so with that, here is the beginning of the next installment.

Ultra Sun

These are the monsters that will take me through hell Ultra Alola. I am currently breeding the team right now, and all but the shiny rockruff will be sent as eggs to the new game, since I will have to break out the powersaves and time machine breed that one. Will update when the team is complete and ready to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)