SM UU Good Cores, Questionable Execution

This team is lovingly called "Untitled 17". No over-the-top, admittedly cool artwork to accompany because I have a Macbook so have tragically lost my access to MS Paint.

Currently based on a popularized core of Alolan Muk and Nasty Plot/Groundium Z Celebi; Muk takes care of Latias and other random things like non-EQ Mega Altaria, whereas Celebi can Nasty Plot and hurt really anything (and people are conditioned to switch in Alolan Muk into it, which gives me a Nasty Plot and a free KO). Rest of the team is chosen quite arbitrarily, predominantly because of a good defensive synergy (or at least I think so) and because each thing bar Infernape runs something somewhat unconventional that lets it dispose of a common counter (see Flamethrower and Ice Beam on Mega Altaria for Scizor and Gliscor, and Ice Fang on SD Gliscor for... other Gliscor). Empoleon is a Defogger that can also set up Rocks (which people don't expect on Defogging Empo), Rocks are quite important to me since I force a lot of switches, and also because Empoleon in some way forces a switch on many Rockers which lets me set up Rocks right after (and if the switch-in chooses to set up, Roar).

Celebi @ Groundium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot

Found this core (with Muk) in a forum. I have been surprised as to how good it is; Groundium Z lets it totally fuck up Alolan Muk, Psychic 2HKOs things like Sap Sipper Azumarill before it can trap. It's beautifully anti-meta and Celebi's natural bulk lets it survive random things, like Alolan Muk's failed predicted Pursuit. It's obliterated by the likes of Mega Beedrill and really anything faster than it that can U-Turn, so I save it for late game mainly (which may or may not be a good idea).

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch

I love Alolan Muk. People are hesitant to switch in things like Latias and Starmie when they really should be out of fear of this thing totally ending them. Empoleon is 100% gonna set up Rocks against teams who use Starmie as a spinner. I've considered putting more into speed to outrun certain variants of Scizor but tbh everyone knows this thing runs Fire Punch nowadays so I question how useful that is. Poison Touch also helps me beat things that I would ordinarily struggle against, like Mantine.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

I always lead with Infernape because people tend to predict that it has Rocks. U-Turn breaks Azelf's Sash and it often wastes that turn using Taunt expecting me to set up Rocks. Other than that, Gunk Shot is a good emergency check to Mega Altaria, Close Combat puts pressure on Cobalion and Terrakion from causing havoc. Good speed check since it tends to have favorable matchups against things that outspeed and beat Celebi, but I think I misinterpret the best way to use this.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Roost

Absolute star. It can survive Poison Jab from Mega Beedrill and then OHKO with Fire Blast, or it can tank Scizor's Bullet Punches and OHKO with fire coverage. Ice Beam makes it a solid Gliscor check, which is pretty crucial given that SD Gliscor otherwise runs through my team. It's super anti-meta, takes care of Mega Aero, absolutely necessary for Celebi to fire.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Defog. Also Rocks. EVs help it live +6 Azu Play Rough and then Roar it out. Other than that, it's a good, generic Phazer and can set up late-game Rocks, which can help Celebi secure some key KOs.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Ice Fang

SD pressures foes into switching and if I've responsibly set up my Rocks early, this can help Celebi get some KOs later. EQ itself is amazing STAB and Ice Fang lets it 1v1 Gliscor, which people switch in as a means of setting up Rocks. It is also a decent Nidoking check if I can predict the Earth Power, though I really can't take care of Nidoking with this team.

Biggest threats: Talonflame (if it has Roost it's gg unless Empoleon hasn't taken any damage), Scarf Magneton (though I can Pursuit trap its Volt Switches and gradually weaken it), phys Lucario (for some reason people are running Crunch on it????), Infernape, etc etc

My issue with this team is that I feel it's a collection of two good cores but the cores don't mesh well together and I'm not good enough at this tier to understand why. No individual component is 'bad' but the EV layouts and perhaps the movepools and the synergy holds this team back. Any ideas as to what I can do?

Importable
Celebi @ Groundium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Roost

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Ice Fang

Your team tends to be pretty weak to Scizor, more likely to the pretty common Manec-Zor core which you'll struggle to handle. Altaria isn't a solid answer to Scizor at all specially if it has the Occa berry, you can get weakened pretty easily if you got to check things like Manectric with it too.
e.g : +2 252+ Atk Iron Plate Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Altaria-Mega: 350-414 (99.1 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Another threat that i noticed is Nidoking (well it's a common threat to offenses but you should pay attention to it, it's almost a kill each time it goes out). You should also pay attention to Volcanion as it can threaten you pretty hard, Muk won't switch in a lot of times if rocks are up and Tenta can get down pretty fast with Epower

Having both Rocks and Defog on Empoleon isn't good you'd rather set it up on Gliscor.

You can run fireblast on Muk Alo in order to 2HKO Cobalion on the switch. It'll depend on what you're aiming to kill in priority but double dancer Cobalion can be pretty threatening considering Gliscor won't survive a Z-IronHead at +2. You should also run 20 speed on it as it'll allow you to outspeed Swampert which is pretty cool.

Defog. Also Rocks. EVs help it live +6 Azu Play Rough and then Roar it out
Empoleon isn't an answer to BellyDrum Azumarill considering it runs Koff all the time and you won't survive a Koff at +6. Your Celebi is your only answer to this mon otherwise it's a clean sweep from it.
Imo you should change your Empoleon to a Tentacruel, it'll fit the same role (well kind of, you'd be a bit weaker to Hydreigon but your weakness to Azumarill is pretty damn high). That also gives you a better answer to SD Scizor.
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Haze

You should run Facade instead of Icefang on Gliscor as it'll deal more damages on Hydreigon and Latias, with that spread Facade can 2HKO regular speed invested Gliscor at +2. But again rocks should be on your Gliscor not both on your Empo :p

Hope this helps you a bit ! If i find out any more improvments i'll let you know.

Your team tends to be pretty weak to Scizor, more likely to the pretty common Manec-Zor core which you'll struggle to handle. Altaria isn't a solid answer to Scizor at all specially if it has the Occa berry, you can get weakened pretty easily if you got to check things like Manectric with it too.
e.g : +2 252+ Atk Iron Plate Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Altaria-Mega: 350-414 (99.1 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Another threat that i noticed is Nidoking (well it's a common threat to offenses but you should pay attention to it, it's almost a kill each time it goes out). You should also pay attention to Volcanion as it can threaten you pretty hard, Muk won't switch in a lot of times if rocks are up and Tenta can get down pretty fast with Epower

Having both Rocks and Defog on Empoleon isn't good you'd rather set it up on Gliscor.

You can run fireblast on Muk Alo in order to 2HKO Cobalion on the switch. It'll depend on what you're aiming to kill in priority but double dancer Cobalion can be pretty threatening considering Gliscor won't survive a Z-IronHead at +2. You should also run 20 speed on it as it'll allow you to outspeed Swampert which is pretty cool.

Empoleon isn't an answer to BellyDrum Azumarill considering it runs Koff all the time and you won't survive a Koff at +6. Your Celebi is your only answer to this mon otherwise it's a clean sweep from it.
Imo you should change your Empoleon to a Tentacruel, it'll fit the same role (well kind of, you'd be a bit weaker to Hydreigon but your weakness to Azumarill is pretty damn high). That also gives you a better answer to SD Scizor.
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Haze

You should run Facade instead of Icefang on Gliscor as it'll deal more damages on Hydreigon and Latias, with that spread Facade can 2HKO regular speed invested Gliscor at +2. But again rocks should be on your Gliscor not both on your Empo :p

Hope this helps you a bit ! If i find out any more improvments i'll let you know.
Good suggestions, hadn't thought of Tentacruel as a potential 'mon and it basically does everything I want Empo to do.
+2 Celebi actually kills Scizor, which tends to come in on the switch since people don't really expect Tectonic Rage. Doesn't solve my Nidoking problem though, especially given that Nido is a somewhat popular lead/anti lead.
If I run rocks on Gliscor, what do I remove? I'm going to try changing it from SD to a classic Rocker with U-Turn so I can pivot into Altaria. Thoughts?

When People see that you're a NP set on celebi they're most likely know you're z ground and so wont stay in (im also pretty sûre it doesnt kill défensiv scizor), it's not solid enough imo.
Yeah you can run equake rocks uturn roost that'd work since you got icebeam on altaria, just make sûre to have enough spatk to OHKO gliscor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)