Gothitelle's Reign of Terror

I've been building a lot of teams recently which rely on slow steady attacks, but they always seem to fall short when faced with a really sustained and potent support pokemon. However recently I came across a pokemon who can reliably destroy that support pokemon every time, and that pokemon is Gothitelle! So far this team has been giving pretty great results for me, but I figured I would post it here so people can give extra advice!

The Team:

So first we can see a FWG core, complimented by a Dark Fighting Psychic trio (is that a thing?). The general style is bulky attackers, and the abuse of resistances and self recovery to just reliably dent any team, and then wear them down while denying them their healing/tank support with gothitelle.
(although since Jelli left, its not a FWG core anymore.. oh well. long live mamoswine)

More detailed writeup is next:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite | Chlorophyll/Thick Fat
Modest | 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
-Synthesis
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Sleep Powder

This pokemon has been making itself rather infamous this gen, and for good reason! M-Venusaur is the epitome of reliable- having great mixed bulk, great mixed attacking stats, enough speed to outpace most slow attackers and support pokemon, and access to recovery and sleep powder... this thing has it all. I've gone with a pretty standard bulky special attacker set. It's the centre of my team and never disappoints.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers | Levitate
Timid | 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Pain Split
-Volt Switch
-Will-O-Wisp
-Overheat

Despite Rotom-H being good with the specially defensive thread, the amount of stealth rock made me eventually change it. Thunderbolt was somewhat redundant with Volt Switch, so I wanted to make the best use of pain split- that meant a low hp stat and a high speed stat- so I caved in and made an offensive spread. This is fine- he still is a great pokemon, and good special attack and STAB attacks makes the offensive set really potent. He still easily beats the pokemon he could beat with a specially defensive spread too, but I now have to option of pain split to take the edge off all of the stealth rock, or to soften up a switch-in after scizor and genesect flee for their lives with u-turn.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers | Overcoat
Careful | 252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
-Defog
-Knock Off
-Roost
-Whirlwind

Mandibuzz is next- while usually a core consists of Fire, Water and Grass, its actually Mandibuzz who compliments the almost perfect pairing of M-Venusaur and Rotom-H. Firstly, physically defensive Mandibuzz is a complete beast. Rotom-H requires stealth rock to be off the field, and M-Venusaur needs its psychic weakness covered, and Mandibuzz covers both of these. I changed my spread to be specially defensive, because I decided to switch my Rotom-H to offensive in order to make the best use out of pain split. This means I have to focus on dealing with low Atk high special attack pokemon- so I replaced foul play with knock off. The move is great and really synergises with whirlwind.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb | Thick Fat
Adamant | 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock

Jellicent didn't properly cover the weaknesses of the team, and was starting to make it too passive- so I replaced the jellyfish for this anti-meta beast. I honestly love Mamoswine as a pokemon, and he adds some crucial ice type attacks (and resistance) to my team, as well as much-needed priority. Since my Terrakion also got replaced, he also holds EQ and can set up Stealth Rock if totally necessary. Also, since my Mandi got changed to a spD spread he can be relied on to take a few physical hits.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb | Poison Heal
Jolly | 252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
-Spore
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Seed Bomb

Terrakion felt really deadweight- partially because he didn't fit my style and partially because he didn't add anything to the team. Breloom is a somewhat risky replacement, but straight away he's been doing good things for the team, especially due to the changed on Gothitelle. Substitute gives me something to actually do after Gothitelle takes out a support, and Spore is good even if sleep clause exists. I'm starting to get a lot better with sleep with M-Venusaur, and not using it unless I'm sleeping a threatening switch-in, so I dont step on Breloom's toes.
Anyway, focus punch is kinda a relic of the past, but its been working here. I need the hp investment in breloom to make the most of his good edgequake resistance, and focus punch really makes up for the lack of hp investment.

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf | Shadow Tag
Timid | 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
-Trick
-Reflect
-Psychic
-Light Screen

To glue this team together, I have a rather underused pokemon. Usually Gothitelle gets bashed for not having the power or speed to revenge kill, but this one uses shadow tag in a different way- I use it to trap their spinner or cleric, and render them useless for the match with a choice scarf. This is really difficult to stop, and this lets my bulky attackers to tank through attacks and power through their team without nuisances such as wish support or dedicated walls preventing this from happening. If they are unfortunate to use a non-attacking move on the turn they are tricked a scarf, I can even just stall them out there and then, forcing struggle and eventual death.
This Gothitelle doubles as a revenge killer too, despite a relatively miserable speed stat she can still outspeed 110s with her scarf.
I've edited this set in order to have dual screens- think of it as a kind of reverse Wobbuffet. After using trick, one of 2 things can happen. They can be locked into a status move, at which point I force them to struggle and die by making use of the high pp on screens. Secondly, they might be smart and use an attack- in which can I can put up the appropriate screen, and switch out- most likely into Breloom, who can really abuse the chance to get up a free sub AND spore the counter who switches in.
I should also say that this gothitelle is great as a lead- she deals well with all of the anti-leads that have 3 attacks plus stealth rock (like terrakion or mamoswine). Looking so weak and pitiful, she often has managed to trick them before they use stealth rock (expecting a switch), taking them out then and there. If they do end up attacking, they are locked into the move and can't stealth rock until later, and I can switch in something that resists it.

Thats pretty much the whole of how my team works! Ive made some pretty big changes and I know its a weird choice to use two grass types- but they both are neutral to ice and only breloom has a fire weakness, not that I'm relying on Breloom to take hits anyway. Thanks for reading :D

Last edited:
I need a stealth rock user though. I think maybe Terrakion and Jellicent can get the boot together, but I dont know what to replace them with.
I would ideally like something that counters landorus-t, something that has stealth rock, and something with high special defense. Hopefully those 3 criteria can be filled between the two remaining moveslots in my team.

Last edited:
This team is fantastic. I haven't even used it, nor read the descriptions (besides Goth's), and I can tell you that this team is fantastic.

However, the rotom-h set is a little off. Thunderbolt/Volt switch on the same set is redundant, even if it is to get things like TF and something subbing up. I would suggest pain split/rest over thunderbolt. While you may not be able to 'beat' those threats as easily, scarf victini is going to be a non-issue (jellicent, since you're slower anyways and it'll be locked) and Charizard Y should die to volt switch after rocks. But rest is probably idea (in conjunction with a chesto berry) to keep rotom-H healthy for the majority of the threats you'll be taking (remember, you have no wish).

I suggest you put thunderbolt on gothitelle, who otherwise has trouble dealing damage to Mandibuzz, a common defogger. It can hit you back pretty hard with foul play or knock off. Weirdly enough, Mandibuzz has good enough speed so a scarf + foul play isn't actually terrible at all.

I would say though Scarf Gotchitelle is brilliant, your team doesn't have a lot to benefit from it. I would suggest Swords Dance Terrakion; Gotchitelle can cripple defensive pokemon, allowing Terrakion a free turn to set up and proceed to destroy opposing teams.

Terrakion @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

I did some calcs and Gothitelle basically cant win vs Mandibuzz if she is locked into an attacking move, even with thunderbolt and 0 investment in madnibuzzes spD. I am going to try and mix up the Gothitelle set though. My thought process is that once the support mon has the choice scarf on them, gothitelle's job is done. She doesnt have to stay in and lose hp if its not necessary, I can switch out and deal with something like a choice locked blissey later. Especially with immunities to will-o-wisp, poison and thunder wave on my team I'll always have someone who can switch into the support mon even if they are locked into a status move.
I've been considering this set: Psychic / Trick / Heal Bell / Magic Coat. The idea is that if I trick them into repeating a hazard move, or a status move, I can make the most of it by reflecting the hazard back into their team and then stalling out the move resulting in their death. With such lame attacking stats, Psychic is fine as a mono-attack because it still lets me revenge kill certain pokemon that can cause my team problems, like fighting types and opposing Mega Venusaur. With Magic Coat, I can also somewhat excuse not having any hazard setters on my own team.- also gives me something to deal with those smeargles easily- i can trick on spore and just magic coat when i wake up, then take him out with psychic. If he starts with sticky web i'll just set another web on his side also.

I will try out the Rotom H set with pain split. I can see how that would suit the set.

With Gothitelle using Magic Coat Im taking the stealth rock off terrakion tentatively and replacing it with swords dance as suggested. Thx for all the feedback so far!

Edit: I feel like my Jellicent is really dragging the team down... my team is lacking some serious special defense, and Jellicent just doesnt work how I was hoping. I didnt want to go down the Blissey route but maybe that would be appropriate...

Last edited:
I personally think trap goth should at least have two attacks as psychic in itself isn't good coverage.

Also, you might want to consider lowering/eliminating the speed EVs on Rotom-H to give it a slow turn to whatever you need to go into.

For a bulky special wall, Consider something like slowking. He doesn't have great physical defense, but he's got excellent special bulk. Also more support movepool.

You could also go AV slowbro. It is a pure tank, but has a ton more bulk than slowking, but is restricted to pure attack (whereas the bro family has good support moves).

Slowbro (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Scald

Is my personal AV bro set.

Made some really major changes to my team. So far, they've been proving successful!
It has the same basic ideas, but I realised I was missing some pretty crucial resistances to rock and also missing some ice type attacks, and priority. This team is wayyy better, but could probably still use some adjustments.

I'm adding the new full writeups to the main post, but I'll summarize it here:

-Rotom-H changed to offensive spread
-Rotom-H Thunderbolt changed to Pain Split
-Mandibuzz changed to specially defensive spread
-Mandibuzz Foul Play changed to Knock Off
-Jellicent changed to Mamoswine
-Terrakion changed to Breloom
-Gothitelle Heal Bell changed to Reflect
-Gothitelle Magic Coat changed to Light Screen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)