Playoffs Grand Slam VII - FINALS [Won by Pearl]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Congratulations to all 16 of you that made it to this year's Grand Slam playoffs! Before moving on to the pairings, I'd like to thank everyone who made this tournament possible. Thank you Perry, Eyan, Nat, Kiyo, jake and OP for being fantastic hosts. Especially you Perry, since you maintained the spreadsheet on top of your hosting duties as well. You're the best. n_n

With that said, here is the list of people who qualified and their respective seed:

1. Osh - 40 Points
2. Pohjis - 37 Points
3. Pearl - 33 Points
4. HT - 31 Points (81.48% Win Ratio)
5. HarrisIsAwesome - 31 Points (80% Win Ratio)
6. FlamingVictini - 30 Points
7. aim - 29 Points
8. Teddeh - 27 Points
9. bebo7788 - 24 Points (77.27% Win Ratio) (bebo7788 made it further in a single Open than Luthier to earn the 9th seed)
10. Luthier - 24 Points (77.27% Win Ratio)
11. ggggd - 23 Points (78.95% Win Ratio)
12. Finchinator - 23 Points (76.19% Win Ratio)
13. elodin - 22 Points (77.27% Win Ratio)
14. SoulWind - 22 Points (76.19% Win Ratio)
15. Sjneider - 22 Points (72.72% Win Ratio)
16. Ren-chon - 21 Points

All sets will be bo5 with the higher seed getting to choose the first tier to be played in a set, while the loser picks the next one.

ROUND 1

1. Osh vs. 16. Ren-chon
LC / Ubers / RU / NU

2. Pohjis vs. 15. Sjneider
LC / RU / UU / NU / Ubers

3. Pearl vs. 14. SoulWind
Ubers / LC / NU

4. HT vs. 13. elodin
LC / NU / Ubers / UU

5. HarrisIsAwesome vs. 12. Finchinator
RU / LC / UU / NU / Ubers

6. FlamingVictini vs. 11. ggggd
RU / Ubers / NU / LC / UU

7. aim vs. 10. Luthier
NU / LC / Ubers / RU

8. Teddeh vs. 9. bebo7788
NU / LC / RU / UU

QUARTER FINAL

1. Osh vs. 8. Teddeh
Ubers / RU / NU / LC / UU

2. Pohjis vs. 7. aim
UU / RU / Ubers / NU

3. Pearl vs. 6. FlamingVictini
Ubers / UU / RU / NU / LC

5. HarrisIsAwesome vs. 13. elodin
RU / NU / UU / Ubers / LC

SEMI FINAL

2. Pohjis vs. 3. Pearl
UU / RU / LC / NU / Ubers

8. Teddeh vs. 13. elodin
RU / Ubers / NU / UU

FINAL

3. Pearl
vs. 8. Teddeh
Ubers / NU / RU / LC

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
stop posting predicts without explaining your picks

1. Osh vs. 16. Ren-chon - this match is the weirdest one here for sure. while osh has the first seed from what i've seen i think ren chon is better in terms of gameplay so this one's a more gut feeling. i've played w/ ren chon before so ik how he plays but osh just has that whack ass nu finals series vs pohjis and vs neider with the oshawott so who can really accurately predict this game. whoever has better prep/support probably takes this tho ig
2. Pohjis vs. 15. Sjneider - this is pohjis's 2nd slam poffs and he has shown a lot of consistency across the past couple of years. i feel like he's the type to heavily rely on prepping rather than outplay and sjneider came out of nowhere so this series is probably a lot closer than what most people are expecting. my prediction is that pohjis is gonna say "fuck this idk him" and stall 5 games, the easy cop out. aside from that, edging pohjis due to experience and motivation but neider aint bad at all
3. Pearl vs. 14. SoulWind - pearl's been saying how he's so glad he qualified for slam finally and his confidence is out there rn. pearl will take prep more seriously and also has a lot more experience in lower tiers overall. while sw is a solid player, he lacks a lot of things to be able to keep it up with in this series imo. he also has a playoff curse cuz he's qualified for like 4 playoffs the past year and lost them. back to slam, if there was a main favorite for this tour i'd go w/ pearl. motivation seems like a deciding factor from what i've noticed in these tours and he knows enough about lower tiers to overperform
4. HT vs. 13. elodin - these are 2 dudes i'm friends with and respect a lot in play but i gotta be honest and edge it slightly to ht here. people kinda slept on ht since his last snake but ever since then he's been winning in a ton of shit. ht pulled a lot of slam wins in random tiers like ubers and also did well in nu too. however, elodin is really confident and def has what it takes to win through. this predict is practically based on seed alone because i think they are both really solid in game and it'll come down to prep as the deciding factor.
5. HarrisIsAwesome vs. 12. Finchinator - i really think this dude has a lotta potential if he irons out the little things. he's clearly motivated, has a good mindset on the game, and is ready as fuck to prove himself. on the other hand, finch has been in waay more tours than him and definitely has the experience. however, the experience was never rly in sm lower tiers (excluding sm nu and maybe lc) cuz he plays the awful bw lower tiers in the premier leagues. idk i expect really basic stuff out of finch but i think harris could be willing to pull out cool shit and he'll overcome finch. close series for sure though
6. FlamingVictini vs. 11. ggggd - is anyone really a winner in this matchup? on one hand we have mr too busy to play snake games but still manages to play multiple bo3s during slam vs toxic brazillian pablo. i honestly hope both lose but moreso pablo cuz fk pablo ggggd ggggd
7. aim vs. 10. Luthier - aim kinda took a dip from taking smogon tours seriously but u can tell he's back into it and wants to win. his experience outweighs luthiers by a lot but ik luthiers been asking a ton of people (and i mean he's probably asked like 50 people total for help) so he could bounce back w/ solid teams. overall though, aim has shown some great play recently so he has the edge
8. Teddeh vs. 9. bebo7788 - teddeh is sometimes viewed as linear in terms of play and building but he is undeniably one of the most consistent lower tier players in these high stakes situations. bebo's series vs pearl and some others were kinda wonky and teddeh is the best at exploiting misplays. when teddeh's serious, he wins very consistently. he also has more recognized support i'd assume so the odds are stacked against bebo

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
^. Sad we got paired this early, but really looking forward to our games, gl!

1. Osh (55) vs. 16. Ren-chon (45) - Osh has been pretty dominant thus far, but Ren-chon plays a great NU and I think that he's familiar with RU as well. Osh is versatile and knows LC better for sure, but I think Ren-chon has a shot at taking a tier or two that Osh did well in during qualifiers and from there anything can happen, especially since I do not think the gap in level-of-play is too substantial. Still, favoring the 1 seed Osh, but would not be shocked if the curse (of the 1 seed and Eternal Snowman) came into play here.
2. Pohjis (70) vs. 15. Sjneider (30) - Pohjis has been one of the most impressive players throughout qualifiers, even if he ran out of luck and stream in the final rounds of a couple opens. I think that his competency is as widespread as anyone in the playoffs; Pohjis has had respectable results in Ubers, NU, and even LC. Sjneider has only really shown it in NU, but he is at least a capable player as we have seen from NU Open and OLT. While I would not write him off entirely, I do think that if Pohjis is not tilted from NU/Ubers Open, then he will be a clear favorite in at least 3 of the tiers with the other 2 not really favoring Sjneider either, so going with Europe's favorite wannabe ORAS player to take the series.
3. Pearl (60) vs. 14. SoulWind (40) - In my opinion, Pearl is hands-down the favorite to win this tournament (even over myself...crazy to think, I know). He is the best UU player out there right now, showed-off his RU capabilities by winning RU Open, and is just a generally strong player. SoulWind is not in his element here, but he's another top player and I can see him taking a series off of anyone. Pearl is the roughest r1 draw, however, so I'm sticking with my favorite and saying that whoever gets out of this series has a good shot to take it home regardless.
4. HT (55) vs. 13. elodin (45) - Closest series of the bunch, but HT seems to have experience in a few more tiers than elodin here. I think both are comparably good player, however, and I am very interested in seeing how this one plays out. HT should take UU and probably LC, but elodin is my favorite in NU for sure. From there, anything can happen.
6. FlamingVictini (chance he plays*.7) vs. 11. ggggd (whatever the remainder is) - Need to determine the value of the "variable" prior to bolding either name, but FV is the better player and has been dominant when he actually plays so...

edit:
edit 2:
that makes it 52.5/47.5 fv's favor
7. aim (60) vs. 10. Luthier (40) - aim is just the more experienced and versatile of the two, but Luthier will likely give it all of his effort and should be advantaged in LC. aim, however, is the clear favorite in Ubers/UU and has dabbled in both UU/RU enough to take either of them without surprising anyone (not to mention he had a nice LC run, so even that isn't going to be easy for Luthier). Very interested to see what Luthier comes up with team wise though as that could sway the series in his favor for sure.
8. Teddeh (60) vs. 9. bebo7788 (40) - Similar feel to aim vs Luthier for me, but this one is a bit different as bebo now has less time due to his grounding and Teddeh is less active in other metagames besides UU/NU. Gotta say this is still around 60/40 for me given that -- Teddeh has experience, but bebo has motivation and used to have a clear edge in activity as Teddeh is more of a show-up-to-play type atm.

Last edited:

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
GRAND SLAM PREDICTS
In bold with underline because I have no banner but want to stress that I'm serious
or Finchslam7 predicts idek

No tournament can call itself a proper good tournament without having at least one meme predict that somehow still manages to be really fucking accurate so here I am.

~

1. Osh vs. 16. Ren-chon
so like 3 letter names are confirmed goats and Ren could’ve gotten that but he fucked up by adding that” -“ and nothing good comes after “-“ just check the fucking smogtours chat the best that comes after “-“ is “LOOOOOL”, "Veteran Chip" or an even more stretched out version of the phrase “lol”. Osh on the other hand got rid of his “awottfan” and went from nobody to whatever the fuck this is

2. Pohjis vs. 15. Sjneider
So we have like Vodka for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in general when you’ve had too much to drink and you need to sober up aka Finalnd vs probably can’t even drink at all (US is wack lmao) I’m a bit uncertain if Pohjis taking this since after all it’s not a sauna competition but giving him an edge if he's not too drunk (does he actually drink btw?)

3. Pearl vs. 14. SoulWind
Yea so I kinda know of both these users but I don’t really know like anything about them so just assigned a random number to each of them then rolled a die but then that was really fun so ended up playing Yatzy instead and got like 168 points which is like not that great but could be alot worse

4. HT vs. 13. elodin
HT is so focused on nerding mons that he didn’t even have the time to type out a real username while Elodin been wasting too much time trying to find the most elegant nickname he could that most of his mons skills are just focused on like 1 tier judging by the post above which sounds somewhat serious

5. HarrisIsAwesome vs. 12. Finchinator
I don’t think this is the real Harris because Harris is too cool to actually tell everyone he’s “awesome” which btw is a very 2014 term so I suggest following the trends Harris jesus we use the term "goat" or "kingpin" now

6. FlamingVictini vs. 11. ggggd
note that this prediction is purely theorymonning based on IF FV actually shows up for the limited timeslots that masterjohn Pablo provides him inbetween playing with his cow and milking his brother

7. aim vs. 10. Luthier
Clash of two famous poketubers, I would normally give the edge to Luthier due to his insane prep for Slam but he’s also probably gonna be very arrogant during the games stunting n shit trying to get one of them wild videos unlike Aim which like no one knows who is and also only has like 10k subscribers (the count says more but like 70% are my alts) so he really need this win to get the community acknowledgement that he deserves. also 3 letter rule just saying I’m gonna name myself Fle or Grl

8. Teddeh vs. 9. bebo7788
We’ve come to that part where I’m out of good memes and really wish I drank more before doing this, but he’s legit the only person to qualify while having numbers in his name which is like probably the sickest fucking thing ever and also he’ll probably get like an act win or something because Teddeh won’t be able to remember that long ass number after Bebos name so won’t find out who to PM

Article by Fille
Editor: infamy and ItzViper482
Article brought to you by MidgetPDL
Fact check by infamy
Article disapproved by ItzViper482

7. aim(50) vs. 10. Luthier(50)

My personal highlight for this round - As his friend, I know that Luthier is a very weird case. One day he plays brilliantly, the next day he loses to randompokemonfan8799. Aim has been doing really well so far and looks like he is coming back to his best again, love that.
I'm gonna call this a 50/50, depending on what side of Luthier is gonna show up.

Prediction: Aim wins Ubers and UU, Luthier wins LC and RU, with NU being the deciding tier.

GO LUTHIER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)