Great Concerts You've Been To

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We can use this thread to discuss kick-ass concerts.

I went to see the Decemberists in Pittsburgh yesterday (second time seeing them) and they were even better than before. Played through Hazards of Love for the first half then did a regular set list the second half. Fantastic.

Bands I've seen live now:

Good Charlotte -- State College, Bryce Jordan Center
Death Cab For Cutie (Mates of State opened) -- State College, Bryce Jordan Center
Rx Bandits -- State College, Penn State HUB Lawn
Cake -- Pier Six Pavilion
The Hold Steady/Drive By Truckers -- State College, State Theatre
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club -- State College, State Theatre
Wolf Parade -- State College, State Theatre
REM (the National and Modest Mouse opened) -- Philadelphia, Mann Center
Decemberists (twice) (Heartless Bastards opened) -- Philadelphia, Tower Theatre, Pittsburgh, Byham Theatre
Fleet Foxes -- Philadelphia, Electric Factory

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I went and saw Mushroomhead at a Cleveland place called Peabody's; the show was awesome, but it was seriously 110 degrees during the middle of their setlist. Stage dives, awesome mosh pits - it was all good.

The backstage party was intense, though (I'm friends with Jeffrey Nothing, the lead singer). I've never seen that much weed in one place before.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, but i have a question for people that might post in this thread. What makes you go to concerts? I've never been to one for the following reasons: I can hear music on the computer or radio for free, There are ussually tons of people there, and from what i understand the music is loud as fuck. So why do you go?

@Bungalow Bill: Can't you just watch a music video or something like that? I don't know, I don't understand since i'm not a huge fan of anyone, so I don't really have the desire to see a person like i'm guessing you get.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, but i have a question for people that might post in this thread. What makes you go to concerts? I've never been to one for the following reasons: I can hear music on the computer or radio for free, There are ussually tons of people there, and from what i understand the music is loud as fuck. So why do you go?
I go to see the people in concert, I guess. You can really get into the music at a concert and be with people who are into the music and know that, right in front of you, is that guy from your favorite band.

As for concerts I've been to, I saw Paul McCartney last month at Citi Field. It was great, although we didn't get to see Billy Joel, as he had performed the previous night. Paul did a great job, danced around the stage, and did a short cover of Foxy Lady.

I also saw Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood when they came to Philly. Clapton did amazing, performed Layla and Cocaine and all his other amazing music. Winwood was great as well, did a brilliant cover of Georgia on my Mind.

i go to concerts to support the bands i like. plus, live music is always better than studio recorded music imo. there is nothing like getting pushed backwards by speakers bigger than my car haha. i wear military style earplugs that only let a certain amount of dB through so i am not concerned about my hearing diminishing.

i've been to more concerts than i can count due to the gorge, white river amphitheater and the showbox all being less than a 2 hour drive away.

Godsmack at the white river amphitheater- fucking rocked! shinedown opened for them too, unfortunately the momentum that was building up got destroyed by rob zombie sucking hairy balls on the stage.

Porcupine Tree at the showbox- easily one of the best concerts i've ever been to. the small crowd was great because you could actually get close to the band. they also stayed after the show to talk to the fans and my girlfriend and i had a pretty good chat about music theory with steve, richard and gavin. the power went out about 2/3 of the way through the show so they finished the show playing acoustic which i almost liked more than their other stuff

Tool at the gorge, the paramount, the gorge, and i went to visit my aunt and uncle in boston and went to the concert out there too haha. Tool is easily one of my favorite bands of all time and the concert at the paramount was epic. except for the one douchebag who thought he would start a mosh. luckily some dude punched him in the head before any other retards tried to mosh to Tool.

Rodrigo y Gabriela in manchester when i visited a while back.

slightly stoopid in san fransisco. pretty cool concert, lots of pot floating around haha.

those are my favorites that i've been to but i go to at least 3 or 4 concerts a month at all the local venues where i live. i just love music

Last concert I went to was Whitesnake a few months ago. It was a pretty good concert with dualing guitar solos halfway through the show by Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach. The arrangement was quite good too because they had divided the concert area in two, over and under 18.
The only bad thing was that a load of 13 year olds were smoking most of the time.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
so fucking many ugh

kamelot at 013
anathema at the boerderij (omg (L))
pain of salvation/opeth at symforce festival, also 013
dream theater at ahoy

jesus too many to count i really don't know how to keep track i have been to too many in the past 2 years

One of the reasons I go is because it's loud as fuck. If you don't want it to be loud, you can always back away from the amps, so that's not really a problem unless you go to like, a KISS or My Bloody Valentine show, because those shows do exceed 130 dB.

But what kind of bands do you listen to? The best concerts I've been to have been Widespread Panic and Blues Traveler. Listening to the music on their albums is all right, but it is NOTHING like how they play it in concert. 20 minute jam sessions don't go over well recorded, but watching them live is incredible. If you listen to pop bands, though, I doubt you care about this...

I can hear music on the computer or radio for free,
Also some of the concerts I go to are free, because I live near VA Beach, where they put on free shows on the beach fairly often. I went to see a tribute band to The Who for free, and they were amazing. I probably would have paid to see them, they were so good, but I was 100% in since they played for free. I've also seen Cracker, Foreigner, and 38 Special for free, so look for shows in local parks or something if you don't want to pay for live music.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
live is a different atmosphere, you go out to hear the band actually playing and doing it in a different setting

live just makes it more real and tangible

Dubulous

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Altimer, it's nice to go out and see your favorite band as a group of human beings as opposed to, say, demigods.

Alter Bridge & Sevendust show

Best concert I've been to. Alter Bridge was freaking awesome enough said. That night Sevendust became a favorite band of mine it doesn't hurt that Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge sung Sorrow live with Sevendust for the first time. Sevendust has a lot of energy and sound very very good live. The show was in Atlanta so Sevendust got a pretty big reaction considering they are the home town boys.

Tool at the gorge, the paramount, the gorge, and i went to visit my aunt and uncle in boston and went to the concert out there too haha. Tool is easily one of my favorite bands of all time and the concert at the paramount was epic. except for the one douchebag who thought he would start a mosh. luckily some dude punched him in the head before any other retards tried to mosh to Tool.
I was disappointed when I found out that I couldn't go to their recent concert in Fairfax, Virginia due to a final exam. I really wanted to go see them.

I've been to a lot of concerts--and all of them have very memorable things. I simply love seeing the bands that I love, live. I haven't been to a concert in a while though. The last one I went to was Mindless Self Indulgence, Dearestazazel, Innerpartysystem and something else I don't remember.

I go for the setting. It's like going to a party or a club, only you have live music. Drugs + People + Live Music = Great Time. It's the same reason you see a movie in theaters when you could download it for free.

On topic, my best concerts have been;

Radiohead (we had to leave early)
Incubus (better the first time)
The Killers

At the guy who made this thread, I hate you. You've seen some of my favorite bands, with some of my favorite bands, and none of them ever come to Indy :(

EDIT:

Vespa, you live near Indy?
(We have a white river ampitheatre)

Probably not the kind of concert you guys are talking about, but a couple of years ago my family had front row seats at a Weird Al concert. One of his songs consists entirely of terrible pick-up lines and my sisters and mother were victims of his "flirting".

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
moved this to IR where it's more appropriate.
Thanks for removing that apostrophe.

I've seen Cursive 4 times, they're amazing live. The Appleseed Cast 3 times, they're incredibly loud and awesome. I saw Nine Inch Nails back on the Fragile tour, Tool on the 10,000 Days tour, and a whole slew of other crap.

My first show ever was Weird Al Yankovic with my family at the Erie County Fair. The first show I went to with just friends was the Offspring back in... 1999? 1998?

I saw Why? and Mount Eerie live at the Social in Orlando. Hands down the best musical experience of my life. They were just... perfect.

I saw Plushgun and Nightmare of You not long ago, and that was pretty good too.

Dubulous

moved this to IR where it's more appropriate.
Thanks, darkie. I also appreciate editing out that apostrophe. I realized my mistake as soon as I hit "Create Thread" or whatever and I couldn't figure out how to edit it.

This would have been amazing, care to elaborate?
Haha, The Hold Steady were amazing. They played pretty much all of their good songs, and ended on 'How a Resurrection Really Feels' which was sublime. Drive By Truckers were meh in my opinion though, just got kind of repetitive after about half an hour. Near the end they came out and did like a duet-cover kind of thing with The Hold Steady, though. The song was 'Burnin' For You' and they did a pretty nice job with it. A great concert overall, but certainly not the best that I've been to.

Best concert was mewithoutYou and The Dear Hunter @ Mr. Smalls, Pittsburgh

Went to Purple Door last weekend, was ok

I went and saw Dredg a few days ago, good fucking lord, one of the best bands I've ever seen live. As Tall As Lions opened up for them, they were great too.

They both played at this little venue for about 300 people called Neumo's in Seattle. Really homey and comfortable, I liked it alot.

Well I've only ever been to 1 concert (but I am going to another in October).

This is really going to stick out from the other bands/artists people have seen but whatever. I saw Lady Gaga's Fame Ball Tour when she stopped in my town. Pretty exciting since we don't get many huge artists [that I like] and it's not easy to go out of town to see a concert (no reliable transportation, etc). It was an amazing performance and my friend and I were really close to the stage, I'll never forget how awesome everything was! The build up to when she started was ridiculous. First, 3 opening bands I've never heard of (Cinema Bizarre, Chester French, and White Tie Affair) and then ~30minutes of just a tarp with her picture on it. Just standing and waiting as her CD played on the speakers on repeat I was getting really bored lol. Finally it started with a really cool countdown / intro video and she rocked every song. Her performances were just so detailed, I definitely can't wait to see her again.

Metric is coming to my town early October and I got pretty decent seats but I'm really excited to go! Should be great.

latterman at an extremely close and personal show in a music store basement (like 20 people were there)

saw gorillaz with my dad like 7 years ago, it was fantastic

billy bragg (also with my dad) a couple years ago. he chatted with the crowd a lot and took tea breaks between songs. best show i've ever been to hands down.

the futureheads maybe four years ago, they opened for hot hot heat (who were terrible) but futureheads' set alone made it an extremely rewarding experience

the dillinger escape plan a few years back was one hell of a show. i remember the singer stopped mid-song to exclaim 'whoa, fuck' as a guy near the front ran to the washroom with blood pouring out of his head

from a second story window/beneath the massacre/ion dissonance was a lot of fun, even though i don't listen to music like that anymore. the bassist of fassw was hanging from the ceiling at one point and jump kicked me in the chest into a pile of equipment, then rushed to help me up and offered me a high five.

when i was in tokyo i saw a band called 'ogre you asshole' at the advice of some locals i met. it was really cool, despite being heinously expensive.

saw against me! a few times, all several years ago now, and they have the best concert atmosphere without question. you scream along every word and it's this cathartic experience because you know everyone else in the room knows the lyrics just as well as you do, and as your sweaty body bashes into innumerable other sweaty bodies you realize that nothing else at that moment matters

saw crystal castles awhile ago in montreal with gormenghast, HEALTH opened for them and i wasn't really into HEALTH at the time but now i like them and am filled with some regret

oh and i saw the books once which was absolutely delightful, they had this cool screen in the background and showed some artsy movies while playing their music. so relaxing!

thats it for the standout experiences i think! i havent been to a good show in a very long time

Starting last year, the navy has put on a free concert during the summer down in newport. Last year was Huey Lewis & The News, this year was the Beach Boys.
Interesting shows I guess, wasn't anything too special.

A phenomenal show I saw on Friday was Catch-22, Ida Maria, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
I had never really heard about Catch-22, wasn't a fan of Ida Maria, but the Bosstones... holy shit. That was something I'd go to.
Got there about halfway through Catch-22. Pretty cool stuff. By dark, Ida Maria was on. Her music isn't that great, but the show itself was pretty entertaining.
The Bosstones put on a show that was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. It completed my life, I swear to fucking God. It was better than that gif of a gorilla fighting a bear

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)