Old Gens [GSC OU] Jynx

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
:gs/jynx:
Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 2 Atk
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Substitute

The ice queen shapes the GSC OU metagame! Jynx takes advantage of offensive teams that rely on Zapdos over Snorlax as their only Sleep Talk user. Lovely Kiss gives Jynx the upper hand against slower Pokemon without Sleep Talk and forces switches, which Jynx can take advantage of with Substitute. Substitute also allows Jynx to evade status, and prey on the unreliability of Sleep Talk picking a damaging move. Ice Beam takes care of opposing sleep leads such as Nidoking and Exeggutor and threatens Zapdos and Steelix. Psychic deals with Fighting-types like Heracross and Machamp, 2HKOes Cloyster, and allows Jynx to beat Raikou and Vaporeon with Special Defense drops if they get unlucky Sleep Talk rolls. Gengar, Zapdos, and Vaporeon love Jynx's ability to wear down Raikou and opposing Zapdos. Vaporeon can also pass Growth boosts to Jynx, making it much harder to wall. Machamp feasts on Tyranitar and Snorlax, which threaten Jynx, and loves the free setup Jynx's sleep provides.

1001 characters

Last edited by a moderator:
The analysis is decent as is, but I think it can be improved a little.

The ice queen takes center stage in GSC OU as it takes advantage of offensive teams relying on SleepTalk Zapdos!
1. you could change it to "relying on Zapdos as their only Sleep Talk user"
2. you can mention that Jynx is a big reason many offenses are preferring Sleep Talk Snorlax over Curse + EQ nowadays. (if the meta adjusts to a pokemon, it is evidence that this pokemon is a threat!)

Lovely Kiss forces switches, dissuading common leads such as Zapdos, Cloyster, and Snorlax, which Substitute takes advantage of.
I don't like this section as much. It sounds as if the threat of Lovely Kiss is dissuading Zapdos while it usually is more scared of Ice Beam. A lead Cloyster is also more likely than a non-lead to run Miracle Berry. Snorlax often carries Sleep Talk, so Snorlax doesn't necessarily have to switch out. Going over all these matchups in-depth would take too much space in the analysis, so I would avoid that and keep it to less complex, but still accurate descriptions. Here are some ideas that you could turn into sentences:
- very good matchup against Nidoking or Exeggutor leads
- having LK to threaten slower leads in general as well as Substitute to see what they want to do (and not risk status)
- Ice Beam to threaten Zapdos
- doesn't need to be in the lead slot

Psychic deals with Fighting-types like Heracross and Machamp
If you want you can add "and 2HKO's Cloyster" or something similar here as well.

Neko

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
The analysis is decent as is, but I think it can be improved a little.

1. you could change it to "relying on Zapdos as their only Sleep Talk user"
2. you can mention that Jynx is a big reason many offenses are preferring Sleep Talk Snorlax over Curse + EQ nowadays. (if the meta adjusts to a pokemon, it is evidence that this pokemon is a threat!)

I don't like this section as much. It sounds as if the threat of Lovely Kiss is dissuading Zapdos while it usually is more scared of Ice Beam. A lead Cloyster is also more likely than a non-lead to run Miracle Berry. Snorlax often carries Sleep Talk, so Snorlax doesn't necessarily have to switch out. Going over all these matchups in-depth would take too much space in the analysis, so I would avoid that and keep it to less complex, but still accurate descriptions. Here are some ideas that you could turn into sentences:
- very good matchup against Nidoking or Exeggutor leads
- having LK to threaten slower leads in general as well as Substitute to see what they want to do (and not risk status)
- Ice Beam to threaten Zapdos
- doesn't need to be in the lead slot

If you want you can add "and 2HKO's Cloyster" or something similar here as well.
Edits implemented, is it a bit better now? :blobnom:

Lovely Kiss gives Jynx the upper hand against slower Pokemon
I'd add "without Sleep Talk"

and allows Jynx to get SpDef drops to beat Raikou and Snorlax with unlucky Sleep Talk rolls
Add some phrasing that indicates Jynx alone beating Lax that way is unlikely as even at -1 Lax is out of 3HKO range while any attack from Lax would chunk Jynx ("beat Raikou and in rare cases even Snorlax [...]"). Or replace Lax with Vaporeon.

QC 1/1

gumnas

formerly .Maguss.
the EVs, yes, the IVs might not tho (they will be in the paste tho)
The problem is, in Pokémon Showdown, the values for EVs in GSC are different from the real games. Also, the paste in Showdown always doubles the value for IVs. Where it says 2 ATK IV, it actually is 1 ATK IV (the teambuilder have this correct).

The previous GSC analysis of mons with only special attacks all didn't have IVs or EVs in their artwork so I think they should be left out for consistency and it's not that important whether or not you use min or max attack on Jynx.

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The ice queen shapes the GSC OU metagame by taking! Jynx takes advantage of offensive teams that relying on Zapdos over Snorlax as their only Sleep Talk user, making Sleep Talk Snorlax more prevalent. Lovely Kiss gives Jynx the upper hand against slower Pokemon without Sleep Talk and forces switches, which Substitute takes advantage ofJynx can take advantage of with Substitute. Substitute also allows Jynx to evade status, and prey on the unreliability of Sleep Talk picking a damaging move, allowing it to bombard the opposition. Ice Beam takes care of opposing Ssleep leads such as Nidoking and Exeggutor, and threatens Zapdos and Steelix. Psychic deals with Fighting-types like Heracross and Machamp, 2HKOes Cloyster, and allows Jynx to get SpDef drops to beat Raikou and Vaporeon withbeat Raikou and Vaporeon with Special Defense drops if they get unlucky Sleep Talk rolls. Gengar, Zapdos, and Vaporeon love Jynx's ability to wear down Raikou and Zapdos, as it allows them to threaten the opposing team with strong special attackopposing Zapdos. Vaporeon can also pass Growth boosts to Jynx, making it much harder to wall. Machamp feasts on Tyranitar and Snorlax, which threaten Jynx, and loves the free turns it gives as it allows Machamp to setupsetup Jynx's sleep provides.

1/1. I cut some content here cause it was pretty far over the character limit, lmk if I cut anything too important.

Neko

The ice queen shapes the GSC OU metagame by taking! Jynx takes advantage of offensive teams that relying on Zapdos over Snorlax as their only Sleep Talk user, making Sleep Talk Snorlax more prevalent. Lovely Kiss gives Jynx the upper hand against slower Pokemon without Sleep Talk and forces switches, which Substitute takes advantage ofJynx can take advantage of with Substitute. Substitute also allows Jynx to evade status, and prey on the unreliability of Sleep Talk picking a damaging move, allowing it to bombard the opposition. Ice Beam takes care of opposing Ssleep leads such as Nidoking and Exeggutor, and threatens Zapdos and Steelix. Psychic deals with Fighting-types like Heracross and Machamp, 2HKOes Cloyster, and allows Jynx to get SpDef drops to beat Raikou and Vaporeon withbeat Raikou and Vaporeon with Special Defense drops if they get unlucky Sleep Talk rolls. Gengar, Zapdos, and Vaporeon love Jynx's ability to wear down Raikou and Zapdos, as it allows them to threaten the opposing team with strong special attackopposing Zapdos. Vaporeon can also pass Growth boosts to Jynx, making it much harder to wall. Machamp feasts on Tyranitar and Snorlax, which threaten Jynx, and loves the free turns it gives as it allows Machamp to setupsetup Jynx's sleep provides.

1/1. I cut some content here cause it was pretty far over the character limit, lmk if I cut anything too important.
hewwo, check implemented :blobnom:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)