OU GSC OU Viability Rankings mk. 3

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I used Golem well before it was cool, but not as a Spinner. I do love Explosion and Golem deals reasonable damage. It's a good, though not spectacular, Pokémon on paper. I just feel like Spin Golem is often spread too thin, trying to do too many things. It wants to be le standard Normal resist, but then often goes for the Spin instead of being a universal offensive threat like Ttar or Rhydon while lacking the pure defensive utility of Steelix who has Toxic immunity, much higher raw Defense, etc. Spin and Rock Slide being mutually exclusive (yeah I know you can technically run HP Rock) makes it a total liability against Zapdos -- at least Steelix takes Hidden Powers well -- and who wants to be a liability against Zapdos of all things? (And Forry fucks with Golem more than Steelix, between the Toxic unimmunity and random dumb Giga Drains. Golem doesn't quite hit it hard enough to be threatening, although you could surprise it with Fire Blast.) To that point, I suppose, you could say I dislike how it's often used more than the set itself. I realize the role compression is cool and Spin is a fairly unique move to have in its arsenal, but people should press the Earthquake button more.

Also, honestly, it's just really annoying hearing most everyone else treat a solid B-tier mon like it's the second coming of Curselax. Consider it a bit of playing devil's advocate. Plus, I think the Spikes game is being overemphasized of recent. Gen 2 Spikes isn't that potent and the opportunity cost of using a Spinner is higher than using Spikes because Cloyster is really good anyway (and Forretress... well, it still has Explosion).

Last edited:
I feel like Electrode has some sort of niche that, at the very least, make it more viable than mostly everything C2 and lower. The offensive presence of STAB thunder even with Electrode's mediocre sp. atk mean that it can kind of reliably spread damage/status (HP water is pretty useful for the Steelix/Golem switch-ins). Plus it being the fastest mon in the game lets it beat some mons even with +2 speed.

Then it having the ability to play mind-games with boom, which is obviously what differentiates it from Jolteon, is pretty helpful. It has a chance to nab some OHKOs after spikes (only 7.7% against Raikou which ALWAYS gets switched in but still that's valuable especially if you managed to get the para off earlier).

Anyway it's obviously no world beater and we are talking about a now twenty some odd year old game but I've been having some solid success with it on ladder and I think it deserves some sort of tiering here.

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
Electrode Explosion vs. Snorlax: 308-363 (58.8 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Explosion vs. Starmie: 262-309 (81.1 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Explosion vs. Nidoking: 279-328 (76.4 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Explosion vs. Exeggutor: 262-309 (66.6 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Electrode Thunder vs. Gengar: 135-159 (41.7 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Jynx: 115-136 (34.5 - 40.8%) -- 63% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Machamp: 125-147 (32.6 - 38.3%) -- 2.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Vaporeon: 231-272 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 74.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Tyranitar: 113-133 (28 - 33%) -- 85.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Starmie: 250-294 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Misdreavus: 125-147 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Electrode Thunder vs. Skarmory: 282-332 (84.6 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Electrode Hidden Power Water vs. Golem: 231-272 (63.6 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Hidden Power Water vs. Steelix: 115-136 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- 2.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tldr : Electrode is waaaay less good than any Pokemon on C2 and probably a lot portion of the Pokemon lower than that.
Won't even do defensive calcs, it's worse.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yow. Electrode's Explosion is even worse than I thought. However, being faster than and capable of targeting Raikou is still worth something, albeit not much, and of course that something has huge opportunity costs tied to it. I'd still take Gengar over it any day if Explosion were its only draw.

However, Screech + Swagger + Substitute is also in Electrode's toolbox. If you couple that with spikes, it could do some damage. That said, it probably shouldn't make it on the list before Crobat does, and Crobat's case is already quite dire.

Electrode Explosion vs. Snorlax: 308-363 (58.8 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Explosion vs. Starmie: 262-309 (81.1 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Explosion vs. Nidoking: 279-328 (76.4 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Explosion vs. Exeggutor: 262-309 (66.6 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Electrode Thunder vs. Gengar: 135-159 (41.7 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Jynx: 115-136 (34.5 - 40.8%) -- 63% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Machamp: 125-147 (32.6 - 38.3%) -- 2.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Vaporeon: 231-272 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 74.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Tyranitar: 113-133 (28 - 33%) -- 85.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Starmie: 250-294 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Thunder vs. Misdreavus: 125-147 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Electrode Thunder vs. Skarmory: 282-332 (84.6 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Electrode Hidden Power Water vs. Golem: 231-272 (63.6 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Electrode Hidden Power Water vs. Steelix: 115-136 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- 2.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tldr : Electrode is waaaay less good than any Pokemon on C2 and probably a lot portion of the Pokemon lower than that.
Won't even do defensive calcs, it's worse.
It's meant to be a facilitator on offense, spreading para/chip damage and booming once it's gotten that job done. Few mons have access to t-wave plus explosion plus literally the best speed in the game. These calcs literally are completely meaningless without context. Half of those things are getting t-waved rather than thundered lol which just shows that you're kind of completely missing the point.

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
It's meant to be a facilitator on offense, spreading para/chip damage and booming once it's gotten that job done. Few mons have access to t-wave plus explosion plus literally the best speed in the game. These calcs literally are completely meaningless without context. Half of those things are getting t-waved rather than thundered lol which just shows that you're kind of completely missing the point.
Well maybe it just shows that you completely don't understand the tier and shouldn't post in a thread like this ?
Those calcs are just there to show you threaten nothing with this shitty Pokemon, which means you will Twave / Boom on what your opponent wants you to boom, so it is useless.

Last edited:

Earthworm

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 6 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
I would say you're probably looking at low E1 or high E2 for Electrode. It's got pretty bad 4MSS (can't fit screens and attacks on the same set) and doesn't do a whole lot if it can't spread paralysis. Fast paralysis is easily its strongest asset, and you're going to have Ground-types switched in much of the time and then have to figure out if it's worth chipping them with HP Water or setting up a screen.

I think the reason you are thinking it's better than everything C2 and lower is not because Electrode is awful, but because you probably don't have the experience or expertise with the Pokemon in C2 and lower.

I feel like Electrode has some sort of niche that, at the very least, make it more viable than mostly everything C2 and lower. The offensive presence of STAB thunder even with Electrode's mediocre sp. atk mean that it can kind of reliably spread damage/status (HP water is pretty useful for the Steelix/Golem switch-ins). Plus it being the fastest mon in the game lets it beat some mons even with +2 speed.

Then it having the ability to play mind-games with boom, which is obviously what differentiates it from Jolteon, is pretty helpful. It has a chance to nab some OHKOs after spikes (only 7.7% against Raikou which ALWAYS gets switched in but still that's valuable especially if you managed to get the para off earlier).

Anyway it's obviously no world beater and we are talking about a now twenty some odd year old game but I've been having some solid success with it on ladder and I think it deserves some sort of tiering here.
I think there is a reason why there is only one viable electric type besides Zapdos and Raikou in OU and there are no electrics in UUBL. I've seen para-fusion Laturn be used and it has a secondary stab to complement Thunder which hits some of the resistors of the move super effectively. Besides that, the slot is just too valuable, especially when the pure electric fits the obligatory electric resist slot (like Raikou and Joleton do). Not even Electabuzz or Magneton are that great because the first can't take a thunder without the risk of being put out of commission (and its cross chops are hella weak) and Magneton is slow. That said, you could attempt running something like screens + boom + twave like in UU. Or try some Mirror coat shenanigans or pretend you have a zap in the back only to surprise the opponent with it.

Here's my 2 cents on the matter, take it or leave it (I did a list of 100 cause I like round numbers):blobwizard:

S1 Rank
01:Snorlax:Snorlax

S2 Rank
02:Zapdos:Zapdos

A1 Rank
03:Raikou:Raikou
04:Cloyster:Cloyster
05:Exeggutor:Exeggutor

A2 Rank
06:Tyranitar:Tyranitar
07:Gengar:Gengar
08:Forretress:Forretress
09:Skarmory:Skarmory
10:Starmie:Starmie

B1 Rank
11:Golem:Golem
12:Nidoking:Nidoking
13:Jynx:Jynx
14:Machamp:Machamp
15:Vaporeon:Vaporeon
16:Steelix:Steelix

B2 Rank
17:Marowak:Marowak
18:Umbreon:Umbreon
19:Suicune:Suicune
20:Charizard:Charizard
21:Misdreavus:Misdreavus

B3 Rank
22:Heracross:Heracross
23:Rhydon:Rhydon
24:Dragonite:Dragonite
25:Miltank:Miltank
26:Blissey:Blissey

B4 Rank
27:Espeon:Espeon
28:Alakazam:Alakazam
29:Jolteon:Jolteon

C1 Rank
30:Moltres:Moltres
31:Quagsire:Quagsire
32:Smeargle:Smeargle
33:Houndoom:Houndoom
34:Tentacruel:Tentacruel
35:Porygon2:Porygon2

C2 Rank
36:Nidoqueen:Nidoqueen
37:Muk:Muk
38:Meganium:Meganium
39:Piloswine:Piloswine

D Rank
40:Poliwrath:Poliwrath
41:Kangaskhan:Kangaskhan
42:Scizor:Scizor
43:Venusaur:Venusaur
44:Articuno:Articuno
45:Entei:Entei
46:Clefable:Clefable
47:Kingdra:Kingdra
48:Aerodactyl:Aerodactyl
49:Sandslash:Sandslash
50:Lapras:Lapras
51:Tauros:Tauros

E1 Rank
52:Qwilfish:Qwilfish
53:Donphan:Donphan
54:Shuckle:Shuckle
55:Ursaring:Ursaring
56:Raichu:Raichu
57:Blastoise:Blastoise
58:Typhlosion:Typhlosion
59:Onix:Onix
60:Pikachu:Pikachu
61:Primeape:Primeape
62:Jumpluff:Jumpluff

E2 Rank
63:Hitmonlee:Hitmonlee
64:Gyarados:Gyarados
65:Gligar:Gligar
66:Electabuzz:Electabuzz
67:Pinsir:Pinsir
68:Bellossom:Bellossom
69:Mr. Mime:Mr. Mime
70:Magneton:Magneton

E3 Rank
71:Xatu:Xatu
72:Omastar:Omastar
73:Politoed:Politoed
74:Lanturn:Lanturn
75:Ampharos:Ampharos
76:Crobat:Crobat
77:Scyther:Scyther
78:Hitmonchan:Hitmonchan
79:Ninetales:Ninetales
80:Feraligatr:Feraligatr

E4 Rank
81:Rapidash: Rapidash
82:Victreebel: Victreebel
83:Arcanine: Arcanine
84 :Noctowl:Noctowl
85 :Magmar:Magmar
86 :Weezing:Weezing
87 :Electrode:Electrode
88 :Kabutops:Kabutops
89 :Flareon:Flareon
90:Arbok: Arbok

F Rank
91:Delibird:Delibird
92:Girafarig:Girafarig
93:Dewgong:Dewgong
94:Kingler:Kingler
95:Hitmontop:Hitmontop
96:Haunter:Haunter
97:Murkrow:Murkrow
98:Mantine:Mantine
99:Magcargo:Magcargo
100:Sunflora:Sunflora

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)