ORAS OU Guardians of the (OU) Galaxy

GUARDIANS OF THE (OU) GALAXY

Hi all! Chocopot here with a team I've been using for a long time that still has some flaws but I think at this stage I just need to share it, get help and/or move on. I first got the idea for this team from the Good Core thread from a core posted by rob. (back in January!). Its evolved a lot since then and I'd really just appreciate people's feedback as I'm pretty flexible. I'm RMT'ing the team now because I've messed with it for so long that I think I'm out of ideas and need some new thinking to make the team better. I can't say I'm super happy with it because there are a few common threats that I need to play around carefully.

I don't tend to ladder seriously but this team has done OK in the mid-ladder and I would say its my skill as a battler rather than anything else preventing it doing any better.

I themed the nicknames after Guardians of the Galaxy because I think it just happens to work with this team quite well and also because the movie is awesome.

The team at a glance:

Team building process

For those with perseverance only:
The original core the Rob posted looked like this:

At the time while I thought Exploud was interesting but I felt the core could do with more protection from strong special attackers so I thought I'd go with something a bit unusual and try out Specs Goodra instead.

I wanted to go with a more balanced build because I liked Goodra's ability to come in, take a hit and hit back which fits well with balanced teams. The other 'mon I wanted to try out at the time who could do the same was Chesnaught and at the time Belly Drum Azumarill was everywhere and Chesnaught running enough speed to outrun the standard Adamant 162 speed build is a really good check. Chesnaught also has good synergy with Metagross and laughs at the dark types that try to thwart it (specifically Bisharp). I needed to add a specially defensive wall into the squad and stealth rocks also so Heatran was a good option. The added advantage of these two is that they are a good hazard stacking team again with defensive synergy. With Spikes and Stealth Rock both Azu and Metagross are incredibly difficult to wall.

The clear purpose of the team was to wear down the checks and counters for either Azumarill or Metagross so my thinking was I didn't need to cover everything, I just needed to lure and take down a few threats. At this stage I was feeling like I had that mostly covered so I threw on a physically defensive taunt Gliscor for good measure since (for whatever reason) I was using Adamant Chesnaught so I needed extra physical bulk. Initial team I started testing looked like this:

After some initial testing it seemed that, while the team clearly had something, it lacked speed when I wasn't prepared to take down some faster threats when I couldn't tank a hit. Also psychic types were a problem without either a ghost or a dark type attacker to threaten them. To that end I swapped in Scarf Hydreigon and the results were great. I went backwards and forwards between it and Goodra but ultimately the combination of speed and power and the fact that it gave me another win condition that eased the team matchup for Meta and Azu really helped.

While the team was better with the speed and revenge killing Scarf Hydreigon brought I was not weaker against special attackers like Thundurus who could spam Focus Blast more or less without fear. To this end I switched in mixed Hippowdon which gave me a bit more special bulk. I was missing a Taunt user so hazards were a bit more of a problem but since I've two three rock resists and a Levitator it wasn't too much of a problem.

Hippowdon fixed the Thundurus issue but the team was still struggling with strong special attackers. I left the team for a while and in the interim offensive Heatran became really popular and I wasn't too happy switching in Azumarill. I put back in Gliscor, this time with a specially defensive set that gives me an easier time with Mega Sableye amongst other things as well as Thunderwave Clefable, another popular threat right now. That brings the team to where it is now.

Team Detail

Gamora (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Standard Belly Drum Azumarill. Not sure what to say about this since it's highly standard. There isn't too much that can stand in the way of this beast short of faster water resists (Mega Altaria, Serperior). Normal stops to Azumarill like Amoonguss are destroyed with Knock Off. Mega Venusaur gets a special mention for being able to take any of Azu's moves and hit back. Talonflame is also notable for having faster priority.

I don't tend to count Azu into the defensive synergy of the team unless I absolutely have to since I don't really want Azu switching into attacks although obviously its bulky enough to do so if it needs to. When it's clearly not suitable for Azumarill to sweep then it can cause havoc in the mid-game as a wall breaker to really put pressure on things like Mega Slowbro for the other team members.

Updated Azumarill's spread to be faster than the standard based on some RMT comments, gives me the drop on all Skarmory but also opposing Azumarill since now that Chesnaught is gone from the squad this team needs some protection against.

Nicknamed Gamora because she was found as a child and turned into a weapon. Given you've got to breed Belly Drum and Aqua Jet onto Azu to make her into a weapon it seemed fitting. "The deadliest woman in the whole galaxy"...say no more.

Star Lord (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Oh Metagross, what is there to say here? Meta's moveset has changed more than any other pokemon which is a testament to how flexible it is. Unsurprisingly Meta's primary goal here is to take down Altaria (Non-DD), Mega Gard and Mega Venusaur. Originally the moveset was Hammer Arm and Thunder Punch, then I changed it to Ice Punch to better take on Garchomp, Hippowdon etc. Ice Punch and Earthquake give great coverage (as any Mamoswine user knows!). With Gliscor coming back into the team having ground and ice coverage though I moved to Bullet Punch since I'd often wanted it to take down a rogue Diancie or DD-Altaria that needs to be finished off. Another fringe benefit is that a combination of either Zen Headbutt/Meteor Mash and Bullet punch will take down the (now rare) Mega Pinsir so I don't need to rely on shakier checks.

Really more Ship than Star Lord, I figure that Mega Meta seems like the leader of the team as the mega. In addition Star Lord is a master problem-solver a strategist and since Metagross is a supercomputer that seems reasonable.

RonanTheAccuser (Hydreigon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Roost

Brought in as the team's revenge killer Hydreigon has given up its rather fetching scarf in favour for breaking teams down with a Life Orb set. Flash Cannon is used for coverage rather than Earth Power since this tends to draw in Clefable and Sylveon and Flash Cannon punishes these terrible decisions. This set can clean a weakened team but, more often than not, its opening holes in other teams for Azu and Metagross to clean up. Roost allows Hydreigon to keep switching into the like of Rotom-W and keep healthy, it also mitigates the impact of the Life Orb damage to keep him around longer. There are often whole teams who just won't want to switch into a Dark Pulse from Hydreigon, much less take two if they're bulky and can't outspeed. Hydreigon has great synergy with Metagross and Azu and its been a great addition to the team.

Whatever Hydreigon's coverage move I've played games where I wished it had something else. I still think Fire Blast might be better coverage since I dont' like the idea of a Hydreigon that can't touch Bisharp but its something that I go back and forwards on.

Classically a villain, but recently a heroic charcter, Ronan the Accuser is the right nick for Hydreigon the teams dark type revenge killer.

Groot (Tangrowth) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth has come into the team because after the re-shuffle I needed a special pivot and Tangrowth slotted in well. I tried Assault Vest Tornadus-T in the slot but it didn't have the right bulk and the accuracy of Hurricane I found frustrating. Tangrowth is bulkier and provides much the same role, also having Knock off and Regenerator. I've used Focus Blast for coverage instead of Earthquake because Tangrowth lures all the Ferrothorn that are around right now and Focus Blast gives it a way to hurt them, especially the physically defensive ones I've seen that are EV'd specifically to take on Azumarill and Metagross. Focus Blast means I don't have to give up coverage on the likes of Bisharp also, which can sometimes give this team problems. Hidden Power [Ice] lets Tangrowth take on the likes of Garchomp and Landorus-T as well as threaten other grass types that like to switch into Tangrowth. I've toyed with changing to Hidden Power [Fire] that would let me switch to Earthquake for coverage but I'm currently still testing. Overall I think the team is lacking Ice and fighting moves so including these on Tangrowth seems like it makes sense. Tangrowth has the bulk to take even some super-effective moves (not relevant example: it can take an Ice Beam from Greninja) and so is a great pivot to partner Hippowdon even though they both have an ice weakness.

I replaced Chesnaught with Tangrowth because I needed a bulky special pivot and he fit the bill perfectly

I AM GROOT. 'Nuff said.

Thing (Hippowdon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Standard balance Hippowdon has re-raken a place in the team based on some feedback from DennisEG this shores up the team's weakness to electric types, most notably Thundurus and Manectric. Hippo still allows me to scout for Thunderwave on Clefable and in general its combination of mixed bulk means a lot to the team. I don't think I also need to say that Hippowdon also takes on the likes of Mega Lop, Mega Charizard X and heavy hitting physical attackers for that team. Additionally with the re-jig of the team Hippowdon provide Stealth rock now that Heatran can't with its fancy new Scarf set.

Sand Force because Azumarill and Hydreigon do not appreciate the Sand damage and it doesn't really add anything to the team. Especially since it Azu will be cutting its own HP for Belly Drum.

This slot was formerly taken up by Gliscor. Nicknamed the Thing because as well as being on the Fantastic Four he's also been a Guardian of the Galaxy...trust me on this. Also the Thing is made from rock and Hippo provides Stealth Rock

DraxTheDestroyer (Heatran) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power

Updated to the Choice Scarf Heatran. This guy is such a great blanket check to so much in the metagame. I've used overhead instead of Fire Blast because of a) Accuracy and b) sheer raw power. Even resists like Keldeo can only switch in so many times before being put in danger of KO. Overheat does make it more of a hit and run kind of attacker but depending on the team Flash Cannon or Earth Power are still good moves to finish off weakened teams.

The Destroyer is all but immune to all forms of injury and it often feels that way when dealing with Heatran, specifically if you're a Talonflame or a Mega Manectric.

Goodra (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder/Thunderbolt

Goodra's combination of power with Specs and natural bulk made it hard to handle. Additionally its great movepool meant that if I suspected a Steel/Fairy switch-in to tank a Draco Meteor then I could eliminate them with Fire/Poison/Electric coverage. Ultimately it had to go though to make room for a scarfer.

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Yawn/Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Since Heatran already has Stealth Rock it gave me room to run Yawn on Hippowdon. It forced a lot of switches and gave Azumarill a couple of set-up opportunities. I've also used Whirlwind to make the most of the hazard stacking on the team but all in all I liked utility Yawn had. All in all I thought the team's match-up against stall suffered. That said, its not a switch I'm confident about since the team's match-up against big threats like Charizard X and Thundurus has suffered. I'm still running some versions of this team with Hippowdon instead of Gliscor and the team still does quite well. I'd appreciate people's views on what should be included.

Sand Force because Azumarill and Hydreigon do not appreciate the Sand damage and it doesn't really add anything to the team. Especially since it Azu will be cuttings its own HP for Belly Drum. EVs are standard mixed wall.

Threats

That's the team. As I said there are a number of things I'm not really happy that I need to play around carefully:
Manaphy - This is a problem for all balance/bulky offense teams but basically I need to make sure Metagross is mega evolved before it comes onto the field and that I've as many hazards up as possible to weaken it. Again, depending on what coverage I can play around it. If its Scald/Ice Beam then Azumarill is good, Energy Ball/Scald will mean Tangrowth is a reasonable check with Leaf Storm. Tangrowth can take an Ice Beam from full and KO with Leaf Storm but still shakey.

Currently Testing

Thanks for reading this far. I'm open to all suggestions. As I said I've been tinkering with this team for a long time and I continue to test:
1. AgiliGross & Life Orb Hydreigon - as I said I'd like to give Hydreigon more power. Rejected because Scarf Hydreigon's immediate speed was too important to check stuff like offensive Starmie.
2. Gliscor Spot - I'm not happy with the whole defensive side of the team's weakness to Grass/Water/Ice coverage to this end I've been testing stuff out like Unaware Clefable and AV Raikou but I don't really have any good ideas, I'm open. All sorted got Hippowdon locked in now.
3. More original ideas - Ches and Hydreigon aren't super-common but they're not too crazy either, I'm looking for something a bit more "out there" and a bit more original. I actually tested AV Eelektross with Volt Switch/Acid Spray/Giga Drain/Flamethrower which (surprisingly) turned out to be a legit set just not right for this team.

Team Importable

Azumarill (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Roost

Tangrowth (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Heatran (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power

Thanks again for reading, I hope it hasn't been too terrible. Please be kind if I've missed something obvious!

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Hey Chocopot, cool team based off of a cool movie! I have some suggestions, but I won't try to change your members since you based it off a movie.
First, your team has many hard-hitters, and already a setup sweeper in Gliscor. For this reason, I would actually recommend CB Azumarill. It hits like a truck, can be good after a Hydreigon U-Turn, and can also help pick off a weakened Thundurus. Might be personal preference, but I feel it fits better.
Second, Mega Metagross is a great pokemon, but it heavily suffers from 4MSS. I never really liked Bullet Punch on Gross. I would recommend Ice Punch > Bullet Punch, as this heavily increases your super effective coverage and helps Metagross sweep. I would test it out, however, as Weavile seems to have a field day against your team. This is the only reason why I would see Bullet Punch remaining on it, because besides that, it's typically inferior.
On Hydreigon, Earth Power > Fire Blast. Fire Blast is nice for Ferro/Scizor, but your team can handle both of these well with the likes of Heatran, Chesnaught, and Gliscor. Mega Diancie also has fun against your team if Gross is weakened/dead, so Earth Power helps beat it, as well as Klefki and Heatran, who usually switch in to Hydreigon.
For Chesnaught, Seed Bomb > Wood Hammer. Although you lose out on power, Wood Hammer's recoil isn't really appreciated and Seed Bomb hits hard already for super effective damage. I would normally run Wood Hammer, but with Chesnaught being your physical wall, it needs to stay healthy. Also, what's the EV spread for? You didn't elaborate on it because it's different from fully defensive. Also, I know you might not want to change members, but Ferro>Chesnaught here imo. Ferrothorn is better at checking types that beat your Hydreigon, such as ice and fairy. It also alleviates pressure from some of the threats for your team, such as Thundy and Manaphy. It can also set up Spikes or even Stealth Rock if you want to free up the spot on Heatran for something like Earth Power, Roar, or Protect.
Lastly, on Gliscor, Facade > Ice Fang. Ice Fang does provide a surprise factor and helps for bulky grounds, but bulky grounds can't touch Gliscor regardless, including Lando-T, Hippo, and Chomp. Facade is an amazing move because at +2 and with a Toxic boost, hits anything just as hard as Ice Fang would. In fact, nothing comes to head (besides Skarm, which you shouldn't even stay in on) that Facade wouldn't hit for a lot of damage already > Ice Fang.
I hope the suggestions helped. Good luck! :)

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, watching your threat list electric types are kinda a problem specially when your electric immunity gets 2hko by Hidden Power Ice, another mon that could be an issue is Keldeo once Chest is weaken your have not switch ins without risking scald burn into Azu ofc. Another weak i found is strong physical type attacker like Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny, so with that being said i gonna give a suggestions that might like you and help you too.
  • You should go Back to Hippowdon > Gliscor, this mon provide you a electric resist and doesnt get 2hko by HP ice, also give a solid answer against physical type attacker such as Bisharp, Lopuny, Metagross, etc. Also provide to the team SR support. Leave you the set down below
  • Now we lacking of Special tank so AV Tornadus-T > Chestnaught is my second suggestions, this mon can pivot into whatever non super effective special move and knock off items, u-turning out, or try to hit Hurricane. Is a Gengar, Kazam, even Keldeo answer. Set down below.
  • Next you can Try Life Orb Hydreigon as your wallbreaker, having the scarf is good but i think is too weak as scarf mon. The move set will be Draco Meteor/ Roost/Dark Pulse and Flash Cannon with Timid nature for sure, this mon provide you a Slowbro CM answer too.
  • Another thing I use to run is 204 EVs on Speed for Azumarril this give you an incredible speed to outspeed most Skarmorys and opposing azus running around.
  • And last as a second bird check and ZardY answer changes Scarf Heatran > Spedef this is gonna be your revenge killer and a solid SD Scizor check which your team kinda weeak to it if this set up.
Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave / Icy Wind if you feel Opposing SpDef Gliscor is a problem
- Hurricane

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power
Hope i help you and GL

Hi guys - thansk a million for the comments, I really appreciate the help!

Sorry for the late post but I've been testing some things for a week or two and I've made some changes:
DownAbove - I definitely think Ice Punch is a good shout on Metagross and the coverage has been really useful. I don't think I'm going to take on CB Azumarill since I don't have another sweeper not based on the changes that I've made. I had a look at Ferothorn but having so many steel types caused issues.
DennisEG - I took most of your comments and they fitted in brilliantly, but Tonadus-T just didn't fit into the team the way I thought it would and I found the accuracy of Hurricane frustrating. Tangrowth gives me more bulk and I don't lose too much power. Given the increased bulk and the fact that I have scarf Heatran now I don't miss the speed too much.

The tips from both of you have definitely helped the team and I've had good success on the ladder with the new team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)