approved by alexwolf and Haunter
Overused has almost always been Smogon's most popular tier. It is sometimes seen as a tier with overpowered Pokemon and few viable strategies, but in fact it is quite a balanced tier with lots of diversity, most of the time.
Swagger Clause: Swagger is banned
Baton Pass Clause: Limited to one Pokémon knowing Baton Pass
Sleep Clause Mod: Limited to one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limited to one of each Pokémon
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
Endless Battle Clause: Forcing endless battles is banned
While a very competitive meta, OU is still a very fun and very diverse meta. Many Pokémon can be used and others have potential that hasn't been discovered yet.
But anyways, there are a few common team archetypes in OU right now.
- Balance: Classic bread and butter style consisting of a team made up of a few defensive Pokémon and a few offensive Pokémon.
- Stall: Made of mostly, if not entirely, defensive Pokémon and usually includes Toxic stalling, PP stalling, phazing, etc.
- Hyper Offense: Made up entirely of Pokémon with offensive capabilities. Usually has hit-and-run tactic such as VoltTurn and usually consists of lots of sweepers and suicide leads.
- Bulky Offense: Slightly altered version of balance where each Pokémon has both good offensive power and tanking ability.
All pokemon in the Ubers tier are banned
Now there are a lot of helpful resources OU, so I will post some here:
- Viability Rankings http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-viability-ranking-thread-v4.3553516/#post-6485877
- Metagame Discussion http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-metagame-discussion.3521201/
- Tiering Council http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/meet-the-overused-tiering-council.3492786/
- Simple Questions, Simple Answers http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ad-the-op-first.3489309/page-346#post-5863853
- OU Player of the Week by -Clone- http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/clones-thread-archive.3509483/(Scroll Down bit and you will find the archive)
- Victim of the Week by Aragorn the King http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/victim-of-the-week-3-0-week-34-cm-mega-sableye.3509781/page-43 (Can give you checks and counters to certain set in the OU metagame)
- ORAS Teambuilding by Sanger Zonvolt http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-teambuilding.3523054/
- Creative and Underrated Sets by Vertex http://swww.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-creative-and-underrated-sets-v2.3552283/
- ORAS OU Sample Teams by AM http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-sample-team-thread-v2.3551209/
- Team Building Shop by Halcyon. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-teambuilding-workshop-v3
Pokemon of the week by firehusky http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-of-the-week-greninja.3523952/
ORAS OU Speed Tiers by Trinitrotoluene http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-speed-tiers.3527024/#post-6059385
Don't use that, Use this by Aragorn the King http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dont-use-that-use-this-oras-version.3524313/page-11
The Don's ORAS OU Teambuilding Compendium by CTC http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-dons-oras-ou-team-building-compendium.3527745/
Ou Teambuilding Competition V5 by AM http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-v8-round-5-building-post-100-page-4.3548038/
Team Magma Synergy Calculator: http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/#
ORAS OU Role Compendium by Flegummfl: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-role-compendium-v2.3541745/
Terminology Database by DarkNostalgia http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-terminology-database.3531296/
Guide to Lures in ORAS OU by boltsandbombers http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-guide-to-lures-in-oras-ou.3527940/#post-6005463
Pokemon Calculator http://fsibapt.github.io/
Oras Good Cores:
FullLifeGame's Sprite Converter http://fulllifegamer.bplaced.net
OU Checks Compendium http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-checks-compendium.3545711/
OU EV Spread Compendium http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-ev-spread-compendium.3545307/
Teambuilding concepts by UBERPYRO http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/concepts-in-teambuilding.3552468/#post-6470835
If I missed something, Let me know
WHAT DO I DO NOW?!
Alright, so now you are prepared to take on the ladder and hone your skills, and practice is honestly the best way to hone them: http://pokemonshowdown.com/
You can also hit up the Overused room and discuss things with people about the ORAS OU metagame. You may also want to help out with the community; new members are always appreciated on Smogon!
Also just a note: for people who want their teams rated and want some insight from other players, go to the RMT thread found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/oras-ou-teams.261/
Don't forget to read the RMT rules if you do: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/forum-guidelines-required-reading-updated-2014-10-22.3520346/
Have fun on Smogon!