XY OU Gyara-Zone: The team that won the Round 86 and 87 Tutee Tournament

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
Just wanna give you a little heads up. This team was designed to counter team my opponent in the final round. That being said, you will see sets that wouldn't make any sense on the ladder and some that just look stupid in general.

Hello and welcome to my 4th RMT. Im not a good writer so bare with me. The team I'm be showcasing today isn't anything special, or at least to you it isn't. This is the team I used against Srn in the final match of the Round 86 and 87 Tutee Tournament. I'm quite proud of this team... sorta. I actually made this team on the fly since I only had about an hour before I had to start the match (took longer than I was supposed to, sorry for that Srn :pirate:), needless to say the team came out looking rather generic. Theres nothing bad about being generic, its just boring to see. The goal is to have magnezone get rid of steel-types like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Physically Defensive Mega Scizor, etc. so that my other mons can sweep. So without further ado, lets get onto the team.

Team Building Process

The team started out with idea of using these two to break through stall. I knew I would be using a mega that didn't wanna deal with Skarmory so with that idea etched into my head, I put Magnezone on the team. Landorus-I was what I intended to build the team around because he can give stall a very hard time and thats what I was aiming for beause Srn used the same team throughout the tourney.

After watching replays of the team Srn used countless times I came to the conclusion that I'd need to use Mega Gyarados. You see, Landorus has such an easy time plowing through his team if it weren't for his Cresselia. That particular Cresselia had the following move set: Moonlight, Psyshock, Ice Beam, and the last move shall remain a secret ^.^ All you need to know is that move didn't effect the team building process. Mega Gyarados is able to set up on his Cresselia and actually thats all I needed for a reason to add gyarados. I just needed a mon who did not fear Cresselia.

Switching in and out in inevitable when playing against stall. I didn't want my team to be worn down by hazards so I added the Excadrill for spin support and Tyranitar for hazard support. I was going to need hazard control anyway so i figured why the hell not.

The final team member i added was Clefable. I figured I would need a cleric and wish passing made the match up more favorable to me.

Team At Glance

The Squad

Tyranitar (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 192 HP / 174 SpA / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Toxic​

One look at Tyranitars set will have you question my ability to independently build teams. I really wanted to use support tar and just about every set I could find was physically defensive. Since my opponent would be using mainly special attackers I figured I should opt for a sp.def tar. The evs are kinda just there, wasn't really sure how many to put where, same goes for the nature. Stealth Rocks are for hazard support, Crunch is for STAB, Fire Blast was more effective on my opponents team than ice beam, and toxic was for the surprise factor. You see my opponent didn't have a cleric which is awesome for me because I could wear down Alomomola and possibly his Cresselia with toxic which would help in the long run. If I had to change this set for ladder use I'd probably use the Brazilian Tyranitar set. I actually don't know Brazilian tar's spread which is a little embarrassing to admit so if anyone could inform me that'd be great.

Excadrill
@ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
Nothing new here. Im sure by now everyone has run into sand rush drill at least once. I added excadrill for spin support and for another hard hitter. Excadrill is able to 2HKO alot of my opponents mons after rocks so that was another benefit of adding him to the team. Earthquake and Iron head are used for coverage and STAB, Rock Slide is for coverage as well, and rapid spin is for getting rid of hazards.

Clefable (F)
@ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
Remember how I said some of these sets might look stupid? Yeah this is one of those sets. Typically you don't run magic guard on support Clefable, but I'll say it again. I attempted to counter team my opponent. I don't think I'd need to explain this set but just in case its necessary I will. Clefable is the team's Cleric. Her job is to rid my team of status and probably pass a wish or two. Given that my opponent was using a passive stall team I felt magic guard would be the most effective to use against stall because I'd be given more options such as status absorbtion. Thats about all I got for Clefable so lets move on.

Gyarados
@ Gyaradosite
Ability: Moxie/Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce/Stone Edge
- Substitute
I promise you this is the last of the odd sets. I mentioned before that Gyarados could set up on Cresselia and that is because after mega evolving my opponents Cresselia can't touch my Gyarados. Thanks to the inclusion of substitute this meant that Gyarados could also set up on Alomomola with out fear of scald burn. Now for the wierd part of this set. Its very rare to see a Mega Gyarados with bounce, typically its the lum berry Gyarados that carry bounce. Srn carried an Amoongus, something that gyarados doesn't exactly like dealing with. This moveset is in my opinion was the best possible move set to use for my final match as it allowed me to hit everything I needed. If I were to make changes to this set to use on the ladder I suppose I'd change Moxie to Intimidate and change bounce to stone edge.

Magnezone
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
I've liked Magnezone since his debut in GEN 4. For whatever reason I was always interested in magnets as a child so to have one of my favorite GEN 1 mons evolve was a gift from the heavens. Back in the DPP days there was a combination with Magnezone known as DragMag. I actually predict its big return when Mega Salamence is made available. I'm using Magnezone's ability to trap steels like Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Skarmory and get rid of them so that everyone else on my team can do their jobs with little to no worries. I choose scarf over specs because I value speed and because I'm still 2HKOing alot of the pokemon I would normally 2HKO with specs. I use Volt Switch for momentum, T-bolt for STAB, Flash Cannon for fairies and STAB, and HP Fire for taking out the steel types I trap. Helpful tip for teams who are reliant on skarmory: give skarmory the shed shell to escape magnet pull.

Landorus
@ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind/Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic
Landorus is by far my most favorite legendary in OU, he's just so damn powerful. If you ever have trouble with stall then slap this Genie on your team pronto. Lando's job is to either clean up or punch holes into unprepared teams. You can choose to run Calm Mind or Rock Polish, I chose Calm Mind because I find it to be the superior option. I run Earth Power for for the all mighty STAB, Sludge Wave for Faries, and Psychic for Amoongus, Mega Venusaur, and others I may need to use it on.

Conclusion

Overall I feel my choices on the pokemon in this team are pretty solid. If I were to change anything it would be Clefable's set and Tyranitar's ev spread. Other than that the team is pretty solid.

Threats
Mega-Medicham: I've only played this team once but given how generic the build is its not hard to name threats off the top of your head. I can easily see Megacham being a huge threat for this team. I have no switch-ins and medicham pretty much shits on my team.
Azumarill: Azumarill isnt too theatening but I figured it was worth noting
Keldeo: Scarf variants look like the trouble makers for my team but its definately something I could live with.
Terrakion: I have the same problem with Terrakion as I did with Mega Medicham. They can drop a huge dump on my team at any given moment. Only difference being I can actually revenge kill with Excadrill.

Importable
Tyranitar (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 192 HP / 172 SpA / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic

Last edited:
imo at landorus replace CM with Knock Off.
Why are you using Bounce on Megados? it gets no STAB after mega-evolution, i'd recommend earthquake instead as coverage against electric types moves, you can wall most common grass-types with Magnezone and hit it hard with HP Fire.I'd recommend running Ice Beam on ttar, you have no Ice moves that grant excellent coverage against stuff as Garchomp, that now walls your Ttar, and no pokemon really wants to switch into an EQ

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Good to know i was CT'd ;_;

Anyways this team is pretty solid but you may want to consider air balloon magnezone over the current scarf set. TTar and exca can beat birdspam already, and your team doesn't have too much for opposing excadrill so trapping that is cool.
Magnezone @ Air Balloon
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

So yah have fun w/the CTeam :[

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
imo at landorus replace CM with Knock Off.
Why are you using Bounce on Megados? it gets no STAB after mega-evolution, i'd recommend earthquake instead as coverage against electric types moves, you can wall most common grass-types with Magnezone and hit it hard with HP Fire.I'd recommend running Ice Beam on Garchomp, you have no Ice moves that grant excellent coverage against stuff as Garchomp, that now walls your Ttar, and no pokemon really wants to switch into an EQ
You obviously didnt read the descriptions at all

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
Good to know i was CT'd ;_;

Anyways this team is pretty solid but you may want to consider air balloon magnezone over the current scarf set. TTar and exca can beat birdspam already, and your team doesn't have too much for opposing excadrill so trapping that is cool.
Magnezone @ Air Balloon
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

So yah have fun w/the CTeam :[
Thanks for the rate man, havent seen that zone set since dpp. I'll give it a shot

Incredibly minor but 192 hp, 172 spA, 144 spDef sassy ttar gives the same stats with 3 more spA. Always buff your highest base stat with your nature when possible.

tbh it just annoys me to see inefficient ev spreads :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)