ORAS OU Gyarados: A Ship in the Night (Peak 1938 Elo, #11)

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive

(I'm clickable!)

__
__

Proof of Peak: http://i.imgur.com/W4znSgi.png
Replay of Peak: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333631943

Shoutouts iplaytennislol for being a horse. :]

Hello everyone, Steven here. And today, I'm going to bring you guys an RMT that shows my take on Mega Gyarados offense. Mega Gyarados has always been a Pokémon that has torn apart my builds and I really wanted to use it myself. In the past I had done RMTs and had success with uncommon, niche mons, but I wanted to see how well I could do using a more standard team. In the end, I was able to make an offensive team that works very well in the current metagame, and has few weaknesses that can generally be played around.

The core that I decided to build around was Mega Gyarados + LO HP Fire Kyurem-Black. Kyurem can do an excellent job at beating many of the common checks/counters to Gyarados (such as Ferrothorn, Clefable, Rotom-W, and Azumarill). Gyara can also help Kyurem by punishing Tyranitars that chose to lock themselves into Pursuit. All in all, this core is very effective that breaking balance and stall builds.

It's fairly obvious that both Gyara and Kyurem-Black need hazard removal in order to be used effectively. Starmie is easily the best offensive spinner in the game, as Analytic grants it a huge boost to its power when the opponent switches. This means that Starmie can effectively beat the most common spin blockers in the tier (Gengar and Mega-Sableye) and spin freely against most teams.

At this point I wanted a "dedicated" lead that could effectively punch holes in opposing checks to Jirachi. Lead Life Orb Mixed Garchomp fits that role incredibly as it can surprise opposing Landorus-T, Rotom-W, Garchomp, and Skarm. Going back to my NU roots, the idea of having a scarf Healing Wish user was really appealing, and Jirachi is easily the best a filling this role in OU, and helps the team to check fairies.

Tornadus-T is a really good pivot in OU and it gives my team another ground immunity, as well as a really good answer against opposing offense. Hurricane is a great move (when it hits) and helps the team to further punch holes to facilitate a Gyarados or Jirachi sweep.

/

Gyarados @
| Intimidate / Mold Breaker
Jolly | 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Crunch
Ice Fang

Mega Gyarados was a mega that I had really been wanting to use, and I'm really amazed at how effective it actually is at sweeping late game in the current OU meta. The team supports it really well by effectively removing it's main counters (Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Clefable, Azumarill, Keldeo), while Intimidate gives it good set up opportunities, as well as Healing Wish giving it a chance to set up twice in a game.

Jolly nature is a necessity on Mega Gyarados as it allows you to outpace Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric at +1. The drop in power is not nearly as important as that benchmark. Run Jolly, always.

The choice to run Ice Fang has ended up being pretty beneficial to the team as you can catch Bulky Garchomp at +1 and OHKO it (frees up Rachi), and it allows Gyara to catch Mega Altaria that think they can wall you. I considered running Taunt instead, but I really love the coverage that Ice Fang provides for the team, and it has a better chance to sweep against most meta builds.

Kyurem-Black @
| Terravolt
Mild | 20 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 236 Spe
Ice Beam
Earth Power
Fusion Bolt
Hidden Power [Fire]

Kyurem-Black is easily the most savage balance breaker that exists in OU. Running Life Orb allows it to to punch holes through pretty much every balance team, especially since Hidden Power Fire beats the main Kyurem counter -- Ferrothorn. As I stated earlier, Kyurem-Black really helps to facilitate Gyarados and vice versa. In addition, Kyurem-Black is able to check threats like Azumarill, Manaphy, Thundurus, and Mega Manectric. Healing Wish against balance basically guarantees a win balance as you easily wear down the few checks it has throughout the game. Finally, Kyurem beats a lot of the mons that prevent Jirachi from clicking Iron Head, which is always pretty nice.

Starmie @
| Analytic
Timid | 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin

Starmie is the best offensive spinner in the game, so I decided to use it to support Gyarados and Kyurem-Black (as they are both weak to Stealth Rock). In addition, Starmie fills up some holes that the team would struggle with otherwise (bulky waters like Suicune, Slowbro, Manaphy).In addition, every team needs a good check to Keldeo, especially since Keldeo checks Gyarados, so Starmie makes a lot of sense in this slot. I ran Psychic > Thunderbolt for a while to get extra damage on Rotom-W, but the team appreciates Thunderbolt so much more.

Timid guarantees that you outpace and check threats to offense like Serperior, Thundurus, and Keldeo. Analytic gives more power to attacks when attacking second (or the opponent switches), so it can actually threaten the spin blockers in the tier (Mega Sableye, Gengar).

Garchomp @
| Rough Skin
Naive | 252 Spe / 252 SpAtk / 4 Atk
Draco Metoer
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Stealth Rock

Life Orb lead Garchomp is so good for this team. It not only has a really nice speed tier that allows you to reliably set up Stealth Rock, but it also hits like a truck against many counters to Jirachi (Garchomp, Skarmory, Rotom-W, Heatran, Ferrothorn, etc). Leading with this generally puts the momentum of the game into my hands, weakens an opposing check to Jirachi, and I end up with Stealth Rock. It's not a problem that Garchomp doesn't prevent hazards because Starmie is a reliable spinner anyway. The main thing I've considered changing on this set is to 52 Atk EVs because that makes a Clefable 2hko rolls in your favor and the team can struggle somewhat with Clefable. Otherwise, great set that really should be used more.

Jirachi @
| Serene Grace
Jolly | 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
Iron Head
Heart Stamp
U-turn
Healing Wish

Pretty much sums up Jirachi. It's really effective as a late game cleaner because anything slower that it (most viable Pokémon in OU are) only have a 40% chance to move, which is PRETTY balanced in my opinion. Iron Head allows Jirachi to act as a check to fairies, which is pretty necessary since the rest of the team can really struggle with them, and is the most powerful "flinch" STAB that Jirachi has access to. Heart Stamp is better than Zen Headbutt because it can't miss, has a higher flinch chance, and has more PP. This allows Jirachi to more easily check Keldeo and Mega Lopunny. U-turn is always good on scarfers because it gives free momentum. And finally, Healing Wish supports the entire team by allowing another member to come back in at full and win.

Tornadus-Therian @
| Regenerator
Naive | 76 Atk / 180 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Hurricane
Superpower
U-turn/Taunt
Knock Off

Tornadus-Therian is really good at punching holes through offensive teams, which was a problem with the team before this member since the fastest teammate is Scarf Jirachi. The set is incredibly standard and allows Tornadus to punch a bunch of crap. Hurricane is incredible (albeit unreliable) STAB. Superpower hits Tyranitar, Heatran, and Raikou. Knock Off is one of the best moves in the game and lets me check Gengar effectively. And U-turn is nice for pivoting around. Taunt can also work in that slot as it can prevent things like Clefable from healing/Thunder-Waving as well as giving the team an almost perfect matchup against stall. I'd suggest running Taunt, I just prefer U-turn on my variant.

Mega-Lopunny:

Mega Lopunny is fast and hits most members of the team for big damage. You can check it with either Jirachi or Gyarados (regular form)

Mega-Diancie + Magnezone:

The best check to Diancie is Jirachi (and it can scout with Protect), and Magnezone traps Jirachi. definitely a headache for the team, but Tornadus-T does surprisingly well in these matchups since Life Orb Superpower does a ton to both of these.

Scarf Togekiss:

Hits relatively hard, only flying resist is Jirachi which doesn't want to take a Fire Blast or switch in throughout the game, especially since these are normally paired with Magnezone.

Scizor/Mega Scizor:

Have to play intelligently around these two as they can punish the team, but also get lured by Kyurem-Black and checked by full health Garchomp.

This team is really fun and easy to use. It effectively highlights the potential of Mega Gyarados and is a pretty good offensive team. I think that the main flaws that the team has would have to be fixed by shuffling team structure around a lot, which I don't really want to do. I hope you all enjoyed this RMT, and see you next time~

Enjoy iplaytennislol and I using this team on OU ladder. :]

Importable:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333631943 - Peak Replay against Stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333647689 - Balance
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333629515 - Balance
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333627433 - Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-331482421 - Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333615674 - Bulky Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333609168 - Bulky Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333036019 - Bulky Offense

Serious RMTs

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/misdreavus-alone-peak-1759-elo-37-ranking.3560835/
- Misdreavus (ORAS OU)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mew-angel-with-a-shotgun-24-2-record.3558170/
- Mew (ORAS OU)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/larvesta-is-a-hero.3540630/
- Larvesta (ORAS OU)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/what-tilt-peak-1903-elo.3506276/
- Mega Mawile (XY OU)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/my-desire-your-doom-peak-1869-elo.3506271/
- Jirachi (XY OU)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/balance-is-alive-peaked-2683-10th-overall-25-2-record.3496146/
- Mega Manectric (XY OU)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dun-sleep-on-scyther-peak-8-1646-elo.3522519/
- Scyther (XY NU)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/based-shedinja-and-wigglytuff-peak-9-1601-elo.3517608/
- Wigglytuff (XY NU)

Non-Serious RMTs

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sexy-ferret-bp-2-1-win-loss-ratio-proof-of-concept.3529325/
-Furret BP (ORAS NU)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-windy-city-peak-1098-winning-record.3508463/
- Chicago (XY NU)

Last edited:
Ehy kudos to the finish line, this is a very good team. I think there is very little to change, because any change would ruin the idea of departure or change much the team. However I would advise Tank Chomp>Life orb Chomp. Why this? Because Tank chomp help your team vs
and Pinsir that as you noticed are a big weakness for your team. The spread 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe gives Garchomp the Special Defense needed to survive powerful hits from Pokemon such as
and
, while still retaining the optimum amount of physical bulk.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

CALCS:
252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Garchomp: 138-163 (32.8 - 38.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Garchomp in Sun: 165-195 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

is a very weakness for the team, my advice is to sacrifice a bit of power for Assault Vest>Life Orb on
that help you vs this problem. 80 Special Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on Keldeo with Hurricane after SR, which Assault Vest Tornadus-T is an effective check to. Maximum Speed investment with a positive Speed nature enables Tornadus-T to Speed tie with opposing Tornadus-T as well as outspeed Alakazam, Starmie, Raikou, and Choice Scarf Tyranitar. The remaining EVs are put into HP in order to give Tornadus-T a solid amount of special bulk. A Hasty nature is used so as not to compromise Superpower's power or Tornadus-T's special bulk.
Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 176 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 97-114 (28.2 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Team Complete:
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

gl with the team, and i hope help you! :)

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yo bro, cool team! A few minor adjustments. I definitely agree with tank chomp over life orb. Talonflame seems the most annoying, of course scizor and lopunny can be as well, but this will definitely patch that weakness a bit. seeing as how a scizor combined with any other physical attacker can really pressure your team, I'd also suggest testing hp fire on your starmie. being able to resist +2 bp and reliably revenge kill with hp fire. my last suggestion is roost > earth power on kyurem. earthpower hits, heatran, that's about it. fusion bolt/hp fire hits most steels for tons of damage. between torn/chomp/starmie and gyra, tran isn't a problem and seeing as how that is your main manaphy and starmie switch in, i think the recovery is needed. cool team fren, might use it on a live :]

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Yo bro, cool team! A few minor adjustments. I definitely agree with tank chomp over life orb. Talonflame seems the most annoying, of course scizor and lopunny can be as well, but this will definitely patch that weakness a bit. seeing as how a scizor combined with any other physical attacker can really pressure your team, I'd also suggest testing hp fire on your starmie. being able to resist +2 bp and reliably revenge kill with hp fire. my last suggestion is roost > earth power on kyurem. earthpower hits, heatran, that's about it. fusion bolt/hp fire hits most steels for tons of damage. between torn/chomp/starmie and gyra, tran isn't a problem and seeing as how that is your main manaphy and starmie switch in, i think the recovery is needed. cool team fren, might use it on a live :]
Thanks for the suggestions, friend. I do agree in principle that Tank Chomp is probably a better choice for this team (isn't it on basically every team?). I do think that Earth Power is really nice on this team as it does allow Kyurem-B to threaten and actually hit Rotom-W, which the rest of the team (Gyarados in particular) can struggle with (especially if Tank Chomp > LO "Droppin" Dracos). I will test it for sure though. Also, feel free to use it in a live. Thanks again!

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Ehy kudos to the finish line, this is a very good team. I think there is very little to change, because any change would ruin the idea of departure or change much the team. However I would advise Tank Chomp>Life orb Chomp. Why this? Because Tank chomp help your team vs
and Pinsir that as you noticed are a big weakness for your team. The spread 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe gives Garchomp the Special Defense needed to survive powerful hits from Pokemon such as
and
, while still retaining the optimum amount of physical bulk.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

CALCS:
252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Garchomp: 138-163 (32.8 - 38.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Garchomp in Sun: 165-195 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

is a very weakness for the team, my advice is to sacrifice a bit of power for Assault Vest>Life Orb on
that help you vs this problem. 80 Special Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on Keldeo with Hurricane after SR, which Assault Vest Tornadus-T is an effective check to. Maximum Speed investment with a positive Speed nature enables Tornadus-T to Speed tie with opposing Tornadus-T as well as outspeed Alakazam, Starmie, Raikou, and Choice Scarf Tyranitar. The remaining EVs are put into HP in order to give Tornadus-T a solid amount of special bulk. A Hasty nature is used so as not to compromise Superpower's power or Tornadus-T's special bulk.
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 176 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 97-114 (28.2 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Team Complete:
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: TeravoltIn
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

gl with the team, and i hope help you! :)
I do agree with Tank chomp, I do think that it will most likely do better on this team (although luring stuff for Jirachi is really nice). However, I think in general since this is a more offensive team it makes sense to keep Torn as life orb (especially with Tank Chomp) as the Taunt variant allows it to act as a superior stall breaker. Gengar doesn't really switch in to anything on the team and gets out-sped and killed by pretty much all members, so I think it's not too big a concern. Likewise, Magnezone isn't too big a problem (except when paired with Mega Diancie) because it is often times a team's primary switch in to Torn, which bodies it with the more offensive LO set. Keldeo is checked by torn and starmie and gyara (to an extent) as is. And Zard-Y is handled by Tank Chomp. So I still believe LO is a superior choice for Torn on this team. Thank you so much for your kind rate and suggestions though. Have a good one!

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool team.
The team struggles with stall or defensive teams without Taunt on Torn-T. With Substitute>Ice Fang on Gyara you set up on fat waters relying on Scald (works for Will-O, Spore ,Toxic too) and it prevents T-Wave especially from Pkmn with Prankster. In your replay you had to hope not to get burned by Quagsire and breaking Sableye with this team is a pain, especially if you use defensive Garchomp, which is a quick fix to many problems.
Running 252 speed on Kyurem outspeeds Hoopa, M-Altaria (although usage is low) and opposing Gyarados.
For Starmie you can try replacing Ice Beam (HP Fire), because Torn-T switches in on most Grass types (are also covered well by Jirachi and Kyurem) and Ground types are hit hard with Hydro anyway, but not being able to touch Dragons like Latis at ~60 will force you to switch into Jirachi on Dracos. HP Fire would improve your chances to break Ferro and Scizor, but I don't think it's worth it.
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

damn (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)